• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump holds town hall that's totally not debate prep you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...speaking-to-very-friendly-town-hall-audience/

Donald Trump lashed out against a broad array of people at a town hall-style event staged before a friendly audience here Thursday night.

He attacked Hillary Clinton, alleging with no evidence that when the Democratic nominee says she is preparing for debates, she is actually “resting.” He went after Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), who does not support him. He knocked journalists John Harwood and John King, as well as the media in general and even the Commission on Presidential Debates.

Trump also denied that he was using the event to prepare for Sunday night’s debate in St. Louis, which will operate under a similar format.

The gathering was hardly a preview of the spontaneous questions Trump and Clinton are expected to face from voters and moderators Sunday night. It was closed to the public; the campaign invited people to attend and submit written questions in advance. Some added words of encouragement for Trump to their questions.

Trump was not pressed on his taxes, or his comments about women’s physical appearances, which have stoked widespread controversy in recent weeks.

Conservative radio host Howie Carr moderated the event. Asked by Carr whether he wanted to be told when his two minutes allotted for answering each question were up, Trump quipped: “If I’m doing well, don’t call me.”

Carr said at the outset that Trump would field about 20 questions. He took only about a dozen, on issues from foreign policy to domestic issues to Trump’s outreach to Hispanics and whether he was annoyed that running mate Mike Pence didn’t defend his positions in this week’s vice-presidential debate.

“This isn’t practice. This has nothing to do with Sunday,” Trump said. Without any substantiation, he said that what Clinton does is “not debate prep — she’s resting.”

Later, he said: “She wants to build up her energy for Sunday night.”

At one point, Trump told the crowd about his recent trip to Las Vegas, where he said Hispanics “like to be called” Latinos.

Full event: https://youtu.be/GUSmqlPnh-k?t=46m20s

Sample questions:
When you become president can you assure the american people that you are going to clean house at the FBI, Justice Dept, State Dept, and the VA. And in what order will you start?

After the first debate the media and even some within the party suggested you should have gone after Hillary more. Did you hold back and do you plan on criticizing her more this weekend?

He is so ready. I can't wait until Sunday.

uOYD3hS.png

yGjKHtq.png

edited with better source

That first question has all of the answers in it, he just needs to rearrange them in any possible order to get a cheer.

Biske

Ah this fucking guy.

Its like practicing for a football game against your own team and they arent allowed to tackle you and all the plays go to you.

Some how he makes himself a bigger joke each and every day. Dear lord.

Literally says at one point in talking about tax brackets "For those making not a lot"

Shadybiz

Practice all you want, schmuck. I'm afraid at the debate on Sunday, they won't let people in who aren't wearing shirts and shoes.

She is going to CRUSH him, Big League. Sad!

Blader

I don't get this line about the fucking mic he keeps trotting out. What does he mean his mic was defective? Everyone heard him!

I don't get this line about the fucking mic he keeps trotting out. What does he mean his mic was defective? Everyone heard him!

Apparently it was fine for people watching from home, but people in the hall had trouble hearing him. Reports are that the sound guys turned down his mics volume in the hall because he kept touching the mic.

RedHill

Banned
His issue with debates stem from him not actually knowing what he's talking about and being unable to rely on masses of rabid fanboys to validate his every word

johnsmith

remember me

He keeps changing and embellishing the story too. At this event he was now saying somebody was purposefully lowering and raising the sound levels, and made a little motion of twisting a knob back and forth.

RedHill

Banned
Everyone heard him consistently interrupt both the moderator and Hillary, there was no mic issue. I'd love for his people to actually point out time stamps where he says something and it wasn't able to be heard.

“I said forget debate prep. I mean, give me a break,” Trump said at one point. “Do you really think that Hillary Clinton is debate-prepping for three or four days. Hillary Clinton is resting, okay?”

I burst out laughing at this bit. He believes his own conspiracies.

Calderc

When this is all said and done, and he loses, can you all just ship Trump off to sea like they did to Steven Abootman in South Park?

I mean, even if he had more preparation for the second debate and he managed to keep himself composed the whole time, and not totally fall apart halfway through again, it's not going to matter much. I know there's this idea that a decent debate performance will propel Trump to the stars, but it wouldn't. The most it'd do is steady the ship at this point.

He literally projects all of his weaknesses onto her. Every. single. one. It's insane.

It's a pretty obvious strategy that just seems so stupid for anyone to buy, but then again...

But yea, after the public started calling Trump racially insensitive and a bigot after some stuff he said, I remember him specifically accusing Hillary of being a biggot in a bunch of speeches.

As people have talked about how negative his campaign has been in attacking people, they are now trying to push a "Clinton is running a insult driven campaign" counter.

They've tried to push a "Clinton doesn't have the temperament", for obvious reasons

There are other examples too.

Kibbles

I like how he says it's not a debate prep when they literally had a timer at his feet lol

Shame the debate is during the Packer game. I wanted to see this fuckery live. Packers > future of our nation

Interesting info, but this article is so badly written lol

Like what even is this sentence
He also touted leads in states that shouldn’t even be questionable, like South Carolina and Georgia – two places that weren’t even in question for Republicans until they nominated an unstable candidate like Trump.

This makes me think about how paranoid people were about the first debate and how so many just weren't sure if Hillary could pull it off (lol) and what if Trump gave a decent performance (lol). One thing that will never cease to amaze me about this election is the overestimation of Trump, and the underestimation of Clinton throughout almost the entire general election.

Shadybiz

I think it means that usually, South Carolina and Georgia are givens for Republican candidates, not even worth a mention for a Republican to be ahead in them, but Trump is in a position where he has to brag about it.

He's saying that Georgia and South Carolina being touted as victories are kind of crazy since their traditionally hard red states. They should be givens to a Republication candidate, not any kind of boon that you've pulled ahead.

EDIT: Beaten above.

I think it means that usually, South Carolina and Georgia are givens for Republican candidates, not even worth a mention for a Republican to be ahead in them, but Trump is in a position where he has to brag about it.

I know what it implies/means but it's just such a strange sentence structure.

MisterR

It's a pretty obvious strategy that just seems so stupid for anyone to buy, but then again...

But yea, after the public started calling Trump racially insensitive and a bigot after some stuff he said, I remember him specifically accusing Hillary of being a biggot in a bunch of speeches.

As people have talked about how negative his campaign has been in attacking people, they are now trying to push a "Clinton is running a insult driven campaign" counter.

They've tried to push a "Clinton doesn't have the temperament", for obvious reasons

There are other examples too.

It's an old Republican strategy that has worked for them well at times. They used it on John Kerry to make his military service actually a detriment to his campaign against Bush who had a cushy National Guard post during Vietnam. Trump isn't nearly disciplined enough to pull it off though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom