• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Democratic National Committee Chair Debate |OT| - Dem One: A Politics Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

(Click the PoliWars logo for the intro)

Dem One Title Crawl said:
Hillary Clinton has been defeated. The sinister Donald Trump has risen from the ashes of the REPUBLICAN PARTY and will not rest until President Obama's policies have been destroyed.

It is a period of civil war in the DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Senator Bernie Sanders is desperate to install Keith Ellison as DNC CHAIR and gain his help in restoring social justice to the country.

Meanwhile Clinton has sent Tom Perez on a final mission to become chair, before another candidate emerges....

The debate is tonight at 7 PM EST, from George Washington University, sponsored by the Huffington Post and moderated by Editor-in-Chief Lydia Polgreen and Washington Bureau Chief Ryan Grim.
t1484784000z1.png

It will be video-streamed on the HuffPost Politics Facebook page. Click here for the stream
YPwWyuu.jpg

What is the Democratic National Committee Chair and why is the position important?:
The DNC chair heads up the Democratic Party in the US and is in charge of raising money, organizing Democrats, messaging, setting the schedule for the Presidential primaries and representing the party's message on TV. Basically everything but creating policy. When the Democrats control the White House, the President appoints the DNC chair who takes orders from DC. With the Democrats completely out of power, the DNC chair is much more important. Every candidate has pledged to be a full-time chair if elected.

Who votes on this thing?:
The 447 members of the DNC, which include the chairs of every state party and other political appointees/delegates. It's pretty confusing.

Isn't this already over since Bernie, Elizabeth Warren, Chuck Schumer, et al endorsed Ellison?
Nope, most of these 447 people care more about what affects their state & local parties than what politicians in DC or interest groups want. 400 are from outside Washington, according to Howard Dean.

Why should I care since the average person can't vote?
I find it interesting, for one. It will also make you feel better about the Democratic Party over the next couple years. Also you don't want your last memory of a political debate to be one involving Trump. There's not many debates until the 2020 primaries, so enjoy them while you can!

IO9EVXj.jpg

The contenders:
smtahPD.jpg

Keith Ellison
US House Representative from Minnesota since 2007. Co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus Served in the Minnesota State House from 2002-2006. Endorsed by Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Chuck Schumer as well as a bunch of others, including the AFL-CIO. One of two Muslims serving in Congress. I like Ellison, but some folks have been concerned about him as chair due to his past controversies. Ellison is an unabashed progressive, but the DNC is much more of an organizing position than a policy one.See his platform here.
nJrM7Ps.jpg

Tom Perez
US Secretary of Labor since 2013. Formerly Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights in the Obama admin from 2009 and Maryland Secretary of Labor from 2007-2009. Also worked in the Department of Justice, was an adviser to Ted Kennedy, and worked in the Department of Health and Human Services under the Clinton admin. The most politically experienced candidate in the field, but some activists consider him tainted by his close ties with both the Clinton & Obama camps. See Tom's platform.

s4wcU6O.jpg

Pete Buttigieg
Mayor of South Bend, Indiana since 2011. A Lieutenant in the Naval Reserves who served a seven-month tour of duty in Afghanistan in 2014. Named "Mayor of the Year" by GovFresh.com in 2013 and called "most interesting mayor you've never heard of" by the Washington Post in 2014. Came out as openly gay in 2015 and won re-election afterwards with over 80% of the vote in a city that went 50/50 for Trump/Clinton in 2016. Harvard/Oxford grad and Rhodes scholar. Did I mention he's only 34? Dude has a bright future. See Pete's platform here.

ao1BYX9.jpg

Sally Boynton Brown
Executive Director of the Idaho Democratic Party since March 2012. I really liked what she said in the first forum over the weekend but she's a long shot for the head spot. I think she will end up being an outstanding vice chair of the party. See Sally's platform here.

vBdrEia.png

Jaime Harrison
Chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party since 2013. A protege of Congressman Jim Clyburn, he previously served as floor director for Clyburn (when he was Majority Whip) and executive director of the House Democratic Caucus. Also liked his comments in the first forum in PhoenixSee Jaime's platform here.

ixxFBtB.jpg

Ray Buckley
Current chair of the New Hampshire State Party since 2007. Former state legislator for 18 years in New Hampshire, some as party whip. Receives some credit for changing New Hampshire from a red to a light-blue state. Worked on Joe Lieberman's 2004 Presidential primary campaign and drove the JoeMobile around.See Ray's platform here.

cyknrKM.jpg

And maybe? Jehmu Greene
Former Fox News Analyst. Jumped into the DNC race late and not listed on the Huffington Post debate roster. Actually was President of Rock the Vote and has been involved with the DNC for years before that, so she's well-qualified to run. Can't find a platform for her.

Seems like Hillary is telling supporters privately can back Ellison. He'll (probably) take it with most establishment support and Bernie's wing, though who knows with DNC members.

@yashar
Folks framing Perez vs Ellison DNC race as Clinton/Obama vs Sanders. But Clintons are telling folks they should endorse Ellison if they want

Ogodei

What makes them good is much less about what they believe (as long as they're within the normal bounds of the party and not a Blue Dog) and more about what they believe are the best qualities in other candidates and what are the best parts of the party's message.

Perez is being pushed by Obama more than Clinton (who I imagine is probably not keen on being involved in the debate/election).

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Best Part - Mayor Pete is in Naval Intelligence - maybe he can help with this whole hacking thing. ;-)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Vote for Butts.

There's no other person more appropriate to work for the betterment of each citizen's hometown.

The thing about Perez and Butts is that I'd rather them run for governor in 2018/2020 than be stuck in DNC chair. The DFL seems in much better shape to hold their seats in future elections so I'd rather have Ellison move up here than gunning for the governorship or anything.

I also just like Ellison and would rather he had it, he's a good unifying force I think.

Eidan

The thing about Perez and Butts is that I'd rather them run for governor in 2018/2020 than be stuck in DNC chair. The DFL seems in much better shape to hold their seats in future elections so I'd rather have Ellison move up here than gunning for the governorship or anything.

I also just like Ellison and would rather he had it, he's a good unifying force I think.

I wouldn't mind seeing Perez take a shot at the Maryland governor seat. Hogan hasn't been as damaging a governor as a Republican could be, but I want him gone.

Holmes

Buttigieg sounds good on paper but if he runs for office later, I wouldn't want him to have the baggage running a national party affords. Party chair isn't a stepping stone. I support Ellison.

Magwik

Banned
I'm rooting for Pete Buttigieg. Either way dude has a bright future ahead and am looking forward to following him along.

Really like Mayor Pete's platform in terms of building the DNC as an organization. Feels like a logical extension of Howard Dean's successful tenure. If nothing else, it would be nice to build up his name recognition through this run and see if he could take a stab at the 2020 gubernatorial race.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think Ellison needs to really blow it here for him to not be the right pick. There's arguments for other candidates for sure, but the gap isn't big enough to warrant pissing off the young progressive wing of the party even further, who see Ellison as a symbol for the party caring about them.

Blader

I agree with this. I'm not so sure of Ellison's skills as a party organizer -- though he has a good record in his district, I believe, and spoke about it On Keepin It 1600 a while back -- but I agree that's he a stronger unifier for the progressive and establishment wings of the party, and his House seat is likely in safe hands. Whereas Buttigieg and Perez -- though I'm curious about what they could do as party chairs -- have more room to grow and potentially run for governor. Buttigieg especially is so young, that putting him in the party chair seat at 34 seems almost like a distraction for his career trajectory.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Butts seems like a cool dude but probably lacks the organizing experience and national contacts needed to whip the Democrats back into shape.

Maybe next cycle once he gets into Congress or gets a federal position.

studyguy

Ellison is going to take it, but there are a number of pieces of platforms that should be considered from other potential chairs.

That being said people should genuinely take a look at their local democrats and see what's going on for themselves too. For instance, CA right now has Xavier Becerra taking Kamala Harris' place as AG.

His seat is now open and it's between Jimmy Gomez and some Bernie Sanders staffer, Arturo something. Literally his only qualification on ballotpedia for the guy is 'former Sanders staffer'. I'm all for new blood, but dudes like Gomez have been out here doing wonderful things like introducing and getting bills passed for paid family leave, etc in CA. There's a lot more than simple personal appeal, it's always worth looking into your local level histories on ballotpedia and the like when in question.

etrain911

I haven't heard of Pete prior to now, and I think Ellison will ultimately take it, but I hope he absorbs a couple things from Pete's platform. It is really important that we learn from each other.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Part of the thing about Mayor Pete is that his career ambitions are still heavily in flux. He is the mayor of his hometown - something that he honestly has wanted to be for a long time, and there's a reasonably high chance that he would be extremely happy in that position for a long time. I'm pleasantly surprised he even decided to run for DNC chair. (I also wonder what happens if he gets deployed again while DNC chair, I believe that is a distinct possibility)

Ellison is good - though a bit untested potentially. Friends from his district say he's a really good local leader but they worry about whether he has the charisma or personality to unify a large group of other type-A personalities. I'm fine with Ellison / Perez / Pete

KingK

I work in South Bend and live in the adjacent county. Mayor Pete is indeed awesome (I sold him a pair a shoes once) and I kinda hope he wins. His platform is great and on paper he should have a bright future. I'm just worried about what path upwards he has here in Indiana. I can't see him winning a statewide race in a state this conservative. Maybe the house?

I work in South Bend and live in the adjacent county. Mayor Pete is indeed awesome (I sold him a pair a shoes once) and I kinda hope he wins. His platform is great and on paper he should have a bright future. I'm just worried about what path upwards he has here in Indiana. I can't see him winning a statewide race in a state this conservative. Maybe the house?

Nah, your district is pretty gerrymandered. It'd be hard.

Blader

That was a really bizarre question. Can someone at least ask what exactly their organizing strategies would entail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom