• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Democratic National Committee Chair Debate |OT| - Dem One: A Politics Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buttigieg actually answering that question in 10 words (like the moderator asked) is pretty impressive.

"I've got 6 left."

I'm really liking him.

Edit: His answer about how whoever wins the DNC chair shouldn't be seen as a victory for some Democrats and a loss for others was fantastic.

I think Pete has my vote so far because above all else the Dems need to unify to have a chance to defeat Republicans in 2018 and Trump in 2020. Ellison and Perez are too associated with Bernie and Obama/Clinton. Like he said, we need a fresh start.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I really appreciate Brown. I think she has a lot of really good points and I hope the chair incorporates some of her ideas (I do not think she'll get it, but i wouldn't gafaw at it).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Only thing that's really bugged me is Jaime Harrison straight up using the "free speech" argument against the corporate lobbyist money ban.

The other pragmatic arguments against it and idealistic arguments for it make sense, and I have no strong feelings about where it ends up, as long as the decision is made with the right intentions.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not a bad event, though it seemed like sometimes it was more about people trying to get political exposure than actually trying to run for DNC chair. I would have also liked to hear more details of strategy. Ellison was good on that point.

Ellison is my preference and I think he's an important person to help unite the party right now and has the support, but I was pleasantly surprised by Brown and Buttigieg. Buttigieg especially has a future ahead of him for sure.

That was a good session, they hit a lot of the weaknesses and complaints, even one of the runners talked about losing the messaging battle.

The money in politics was interesting too, I guess we're giving the Republicans too much of an advantage.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I am between Mayor Pete or Ellison but leaning more have on Ellison because the one thing he was doing that gave me coincidence was names. He kept saying names and I think that is absolutely a good thing.

Tarydax

Banned
That event made me feel hope for the first time since Trump got elected. I was really impressed by all the candidates.

Tendo

Loved all of them. Really liked Ellison, Pete, and Greene.

I am starting to feel like 2020 might be doable as long as this gang works together. I'm ready to get to work and help.

I'm really happy with how this turned out. Everyone seemed like they would be good in different ways on top of going with the 50 state strategy, so no matter who wins, the DNC will be better off.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm really happy with how this turned out. Everyone seemed like they would be good in different ways on top of going with the 50 state strategy, so no matter who wins, the DNC will be better off.

I think one of the important takeaways is that for the most part, they're all in agreement that Dean's strategy worked better than what they've been doing recently.

thefro

Looks like I missed this. Maybe it will be posted on youtube?

Video is up on FB now. Hopefully they post to YT later.

That event made me feel hope for the first time since Trump got elected. I was really impressed by all the candidates.

Glad to hear it. That was my goal in posting the thread to publicize it. I remember being happy in 2005 (after Bush got reelected, which seemed awful at the time) that Dean won the Chairmanship of the DNC and that things would start getting better once he was onboard. They did. Hoping for the same this time around.

Blader

I think I liked Buttigeg and Perez the most, but my impression of them is the same after the debate that it was before: they've got the strength and appeal to run for higher state offices, and putting them in the party chair slot for four years would be something of a waste of those strengths.

Given the wide amount of support he has from progressives and establishment figures, it seems like Ellison will likely get the job, and I thought most of his responses were pretty reassuring. I'd be happy with him, Buttigeg, Perez and maybe Greene in the top gig, and just about anyone else in the vice chair slot. Overall, it seems like everyone on that stage has already been able to diagnose the party's problems and knows how to fix them, which is good news.

Loved all of them. Really liked Ellison, Pete, and Greene.

I am starting to feel like 2020 might be doable as long as this gang works together. I'm ready to get to work and help.

They seem to want to work together. It's the voting base I'm worried about.

For some inexplicable reason, /r/sandersforpresident and other similar places are still trying to wage a civil war.

I found Jaime Harrison's proclamation of "Armageddon for this country" if the GOP gains more Senate seats in 2018 just a tad alarmist and very 'GOP' in-and-of-itself in tone. He's...not wrong in that it will be much worse in terms of GOP running roughshod with it's legislation, but I don't think calling it "Armageddon" does much in the way of actually uniting people.

Buttigieg made me wish I lived in South Bend, what a remarkable guy.

Ellison seems the best choice, he and Peres certainly had the most commanding stage presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom