• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of VP Debate 2008 Trainwreck-in-slow-motion Popcorn Party Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacknuts

we all knew her
3rdman said:
0928_mainchart.png

That the biggest I've yet seen of Pac-Bama.

I keep seeing these Pac-Man graphs in these threads, but I'm unclear on what the "Win Percentage" value represents.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cheebs said:
I went and checked, they got the outcome right in 2004 in their tracker.

Yes, but that is because Bush had the stronger ground game and outpaced the polls, which meant that the R leaning poll would be closer to "right". This year I think the opposite may be true and the R2K tracker may be closer, but we'll see.

Regardless anywhere from +5 to +9 is Obamarama if it lasts.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
zesty said:
I keep seeing these Pac-Man graphs in these threads, but I'm unclear on what the "Win Percentage" value represents.

Its a monte carlo style simulation. 529 basically runs a ton of hypothetical outcomes through its model based on current polling data. McCain wins some of them, Obama wins some of them.

The more hypothetical wins you get, the higher your win %. The larger your wins are, the larger your win %.

What the model is showing right now is when they run their hypothetical vote outcomes, Obama wins much more often and with much larger margins. McCain doesnt win very often at all, and when he does he barely wins (meaning his wins are less secure than Obamas).

More or less it is showing

1) Obama is leading pretty big at the moment.
2) McCain has basically 1 path to victory and that is to run the table with the Bush states.
3) Obama has a ton of paths to victory where he is able to lose swing states Kerry won and still win the election.

GhaleonEB

StoOgE said:
and Ras has a Republican lean of about +2 on their daily tracking poll while Gallup is about neutral and R2K has about a +2-3 Dem lean, so the race is right around 7-8 points most likely.
That's why I always look at things in the aggregate. pollster.com updated a graph at the request of Daily Kos - this is the Dem presidential nominee's lead (or not) for the 2000, 2004 and this year in their composite national tracking.

CF02.jpg

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/29/75241/1377/653/613633

I would say Biden is going to smoke Palin on Thursday, but Palin would do that to herself, without any help.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
lean compared to what?

The most accurate pollster with the smallest margin of error has a huge democratic lean if that's the case!

Reality; liberal biased.

Couple of other polling notes:

Ras will be out with a poll of the following states this evening:

Colorado
Florida
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Virginia

I think the Virginia poll tonight might the bombshell. It's been increasingly out of reach for McCain since the Obama surge started, and the results there (confirming a strong, Colorado-style Obama lead) could dramatically alter the McCain campaign's strategy.

Second, watch for the daily Gallup tracker to maybe hit a double digit lead sometime this week with the news all focused on the terrible Sarah Palin. Watch for the corresponding freakout by the McCain campaign and we'll see if they can prevent themselves from doing anything stupid in response.

WaltJay

Snaku said:
Man I hope I'm home in time for the debate. Going to the Rays first playoff game on Thursday, and it's a 2:30 game.

There will be a replay soon afterwards, I'm sure. Also, I'm sure every news station will be running the highlights.

GhaleonEB

Fragamemnon said:

Colorado
Florida
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Virginia

I think the Virginia poll tonight might the bombshell. It's been increasingly out of reach for McCain since the Obama surge started, and the results there (confirming a strong, Colorado-style Obama lead) could dramatically alter the McCain campaign's strategy.

Second, watch for the daily Gallup tracker to maybe hit a double digit lead sometime this week with the news all focused on the terrible Sarah Palin. Watch for the corresponding freakout by the McCain campaign and we'll see if they can prevent themselves from doing anything stupid in response.
Nice, all five are states we need updated polling on. I'm especially interested in VA and CO.
gkrykewy said:
Stock market is getting killed.
Down 300. Yeowch.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Hey folks,
I wanted to write a post to give you guys an idea of what it's like to volunteer for a political campaign.

I am from Bucks County, PA but now live near New York. I volunteered to go down to Lehigh County (Allentown, Bethlehem - basically an hour north of Philly) for the Obama campaign to canvas for voters.

There were 200 people that came out on Saturday (the highest yet I was told, most likely because of the debate). I got a list of about 65 voters from about 45 addresses and set out to go knock on some doors.

You don't just randomly knock on doors - you randomly knock on doors of people that are already registered voters - in this case with no party affiliation or independent or Republicans that have a history of voting for Democrat candidates. So you knock on their door and talk to them about the election and gauge if they are leaning Obama or McCain. If they are undecided, you ask them questions about the topics that they are focused on this election. You then talk about your candidates position.

I'll tell you what, you feel great doing this. This is 1 on 1 dialogue with people that are interested in politics and come from a different world than your own. I loved it.

Rural PA still needs to come a long way. I heard the "muslim" line from a few people and was called a "N***** lover" by one classy gentleman. Needless to say, I walked away immediately.

But there was some great silver lining - I got 10 new voters registered and seemingly convinced another 5 voters that were on the fence to at the very least look more into Obama's stances vs. McCain's on their important issues.

If you guys have any free time on the upcoming weekends, give a call to your local office... it's definitely a great experience. The end.

gkrykewy said:

More bank failures, the Wachovia buyout, and the Fed's position on the mechanics of the bailout (that they are going to let the most troubled institutions fail, while keeping the more solid institutions intact, that the money won't start flowing for a couple of weeks, etc.) are not good news for stocks. Expect another really roller-coaster week.

I didn't mention it, but PPP should be out with a poll in Florida tomorrow that will likely show Obama's biggest lead in the state yet. Will definitely cause a stir.

gcubed

so, sitting there for the last 30 minutes in the old thread wondering.. Gee GAF is slow today...

turns out i'm the slow one

pxleyes

Banned
I cant believe this Matt Blunt asshole is actually upset that Obama's Truth Squad in Missouri is being effective. What is sad is that John McCain has a truth squad too.

SupahBlah

Banned
gkrykewy said:

The FTSE is down 180 points for the day (so far)

In Britain, Bradford & Bingley mortgage lender was nationalised.

Benelex banking giant Fortis was partially nationalised by the Dutch, Belgian and Luxembourg governments.

The Icelandic government took control of the country's third-largest bank, Glitnir, after the company had faced short-term funding problems.

So no surprise the Dow is getting whacked too, especially with Wachovia.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If last summer's front runners had won (Guiliani, Clinton) we would probably be looking at a Huckabee/Obama debate this thursday, or probably Huckabee/Clark. I'm thinking Romney would probably have gone with Huck as well. Matter of fact, I'm not sure why McCain didn't just go with Huck. You get the same energizing of the base with the evangelicals, yet Huck is a far more knowledgeable candidate than Palin.

The only explanation I can think of is wanting the Hillary women, but that backfired. Why am I on this hypothetical? I dunno.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub said:
Pre-spin is the new spin.

She's such a cancer... and that's insulting to cancer.

I can't believe they want to dumb things down for this debate.... so sad.

LOLz! Steph Miller playing a clip of Mark Levin going nuts on BillO after he went nuts on everyone.

VanMardigan said:
I'm not sure why McCain didn't just go with Huck. You get the same energizing of the base with the evangelicals, yet Huck is a far more knowledgeable candidate than Palin.

Palin is 3/3 in making the kooky base happy. Huck is 1/3

Religion *Jesus Horse for both
Issues *She either has no stance and can be molded or is on board with the idiocy already. Huck was actually a guy that was a reasonable Governor from what I remember.
Style *Younger woman vs avg. chubby balding dude

gkrykewy said:
-330 for the day so far (dow)

fed injects huge amount of cash:

WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve and other countries' central banks have announced fresh steps to battle a worsening credit crisis that threatens to unhinge the U.S. economy

The Fed said Monday the action is intended to "expand significantly" the availability of cash available to squeezed banks and other financial institutions in an effort to provide relief to the worst credit crisis since the Great Depression.

The Fed cited "continued strains" in the demand for short-term funding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26941860/

The Chosen One said:
*was still refreshing old thread*
Amirox, could you please include a post when you close a thread? I'm not going to go all Triumph on you, but some Mod Courtesy would be appreciated.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2008/09/news-flash-mcca.html

"Yet another poll shows a super-tight race in the nation's largest battleground state. American Research Group's survey of 600 voters found Democrat Barack Obama receiving 47 percent, compared to Republican John McCain with 46 percent. Margin of error is plus or minus 4 percent."

more: http://www.americanresearchgroup.com/pres2008/FL08.html

it's an ARG poll, so take it as you will, but still, 47-46...
(for ref, they had it 46-46, before that 47-46 for M, before that 47-45 for M, then back in june 44-49 for O, so...)

Iksenpets

Banned
Fragamemnon said:

Colorado
Florida
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Virginia

If Virginia and Colorado both go out of reach, I'd imagine McCain would just go on a complete blitz of Pennsylvania for the rest of the campaign, as it's the only plausible pick up for him with enough votes to counter Obama taking both Colorado and Virginia. I woul guess that Palin would take up permanent residence in central PA, and McCain would bounce back and forth between Philly and Pittsburgh for virtually the entirety of the remaining campaign with a tiny bit of defensive campaigning in other battlegrounds if VA and CO are out of reach. I'm not sure how Obama would shift to accommodate a McCain offensive in PA though. He could either just defend the territory, or he could try to tip one of the other swing states so that PA would no longer be enough.

VanMardigan said:
If last summer's front runners had won (Guiliani, Clinton) we would probably be looking at a Huckabee/Obama debate this thursday, or probably Huckabee/Clark. I'm thinking Romney would probably have gone with Huck as well. Matter of fact, I'm not sure why McCain didn't just go with Huck. You get the same energizing of the base with the evangelicals, yet Huck is a far more knowledgeable candidate than Palin.

The only explanation I can think of is wanting the Hillary women, but that backfired. Why am I on this hypothetical? I dunno.

yeah, out of all the VP picks, i was fearing Huck the most. Not only because of his appeal to evengelicals, but also he's a very likeable guy...I have trouble vehemently hating him even with his crazy ideas. Palin could possibly hand Obama the election.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
FF_VIII said:
http://i38.tinypic.com/10h53wn.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
...why was this even posted :lol

GhaleonEB

kkaabboomm said:
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2008/09/news-flash-mcca.html

"Yet another poll shows a super-tight race in the nation's largest battleground state. American Research Group's survey of 600 voters found Democrat Barack Obama receiving 47 percent, compared to Republican John McCain with 46 percent. Margin of error is plus or minus 4 percent."

more: http://www.americanresearchgroup.com/pres2008/FL08.html

it's an ARG poll, but still, 47-46...
It's something. We'll see how Rasmussen sizes it up later today.

El_TigroX said:
Hey folks,
I wanted to write a post to give you guys an idea of what it's like to volunteer for a political campaign.

I am from Bucks County, PA but now live near New York. I volunteered to go down to Lehigh County (Allentown, Bethlehem - basically an hour north of Philly) for the Obama campaign to canvas for voters.

There were 200 people that came out on Saturday (the highest yet I was told, most likely because of the debate). I got a list of about 65 voters from about 45 addresses and set out to go knock on some doors.

You don't just randomly knock on doors - you randomly knock on doors of people that are already registered voters - in this case with no party affiliation or independent or Republicans that have a history of voting for Democrat candidates. So you knock on their door and talk to them about the election and gauge if they are leaning Obama or McCain. If they are undecided, you ask them questions about the topics that they are focused on this election. You then talk about your candidates position.

I'll tell you what, you feel great doing this. This is 1 on 1 dialogue with people that are interested in politics and come from a different world than your own. I loved it.

Rural PA still needs to come a long way. I heard the "muslim" line from a few people and was called a "N***** lover" by one classy gentleman. Needless to say, I walked away immediately.

But there was some great silver lining - I got 10 new voters registered and seemingly convinced another 5 voters that were on the fence to at the very least look more into Obama's stances vs. McCain's on their important issues.

If you guys have any free time on the upcoming weekends, give a call to your local office... it's definitely a great experience. The end.

Keep up the great work man!

VanMardigan said:
Matter of fact, I'm not sure why McCain didn't just go with Huck.

I like huckabee as well (not that i'd vote for him) but picking him or romney or the standard white male #0383 wouldn't have galvanized the base and the mccain camp would probably be in worse shape than it is now. as disasterous as palin is, she's still a huge asset to mccain's chances of winning. if she bombs the debate it'll be a strech to say she's not a liability, though. this week is a make-it or break-it point for her.

mccain is so absurdly stodgy and awkward. can't he at least try to come off as a little more affable for the campaign? he acts like he has a stick in his ass %90 of the time. same went for for al gore 2000.

Fox dumps my man Bobby Gibbs.

Obama communications director Robert Gibbs dukes it out with the hosts of “Fox and Friends” in a heated exchange over the bracelet Obama highlighted during Friday’s debate, given to him by the mother of a fallen solider.

Steve Doocy and Brian Kilmeade suggested the soldier’s family had asked Obama not to wear the bracelet, which Gibbs denied.

Gibbs: “Let’s get the facts right before we start making stuff up on the news.”

Kilmeade: “Don’t say we’re making stuff up!… Unbelievable… Goodbye.”

Followed by an awkward toss to commercial.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
LOVE the overprepared statement. Left in the interesting stuff, but full article link below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/29/free-palin-mccain-camp-re_n_130146.html

Huffington Article said:
Despite bad reviews from all sides, John McCain's campaign has decided that having Sarah Palin do big broadcast interviews was a good idea, the National Review reports:

I'm told McCain recently expressed unhappiness with his staff's handling of Palin. On Sunday he dispatched his top aides Steve Schmidt and Rick Davis to join Palin in Philadelphia. They're supposed to liberate Palin to go on the offensive as a combative conservative in the vice-presidential debate on Thursday.

The Wall Street Journal has more on Palin's liberation:

More broadly, the McCain campaign aims to halt what it sees as a perceived decline in the crispness and precision of Gov. Palin's latest remarks as well as a fall in recent polls, according to several advisers and party officials.

Some prominent Republicans and senior members of Congress have expressed worries about certain facets of the Palin campaign, particularly that Gov. Palin may be "overprepared" and not encouraged to be herself, an adviser said.

"It's time to let Palin be Palin -- and let it all hang out," said Scott Reed, a Republican strategist."

Barrett2

FF_VIII said:

Jerry Falwell was right about this show after all.

Also, it is so good that Gwen Ifell is moderating the VP debate. Claiming sexism when a woman is asking the questions will look insane... but that won't stop McZombie from trying.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As much as I would personally like to see it, I'm still a bit worried that Biden will rip her a new asshole in the debate and turn her into a sympathetic figure for the Republican party and undecided soccer moms. Triumph said that Biden's best course of action would be to make general attacks toward the Repubs and not Palin, personally. Gonna have to agree with my fellow oldskool Phantasy Star fan on this one.

Not too big of a fan of Biden b/c of the RAVE act, but compared to Palin he's a white knight riding on a unicorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom