• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

thcsquad

Serious question, why do people want Hillary?

She's been flip flopping on issues for years. She can't seem to make up her mind on what she's for.

Her flip-flopping is mostly just the Democratic Party dealing with public opinion in the aftermath of the Reagan years. She represents pragmatic incremental progress, which is how positive things tend to be accomplished in this country.

394877.gif

pompidu

Her policies are well laid out, workable, and appear to be the best path forwards for the country, given the limitations in our government. She knows how the system works and knows how to use it. She's the most qualified person from either parties to be president as well.

I agree that they're workable.

She's changed stances over the years, but ultimately she's trying to be a third term Obama. Would you rather have that or Trump?

Bernie on the other hand is just sprouting off about impossible goals and how he won't compromise and middle ground isn't enough. You don't accomplish anything with this attitude. Also he's had an insurmountable delegate lead to overcome since March, so he's wasting everyone's time.

Trump being a bad candidate doesn't make Hillary a good one.

I agree slot of Sanders stuff is out there but so was Obamacare.

Serious question, why do people want Hillary?

She's been flip flopping on issues for years. She can't seem to make up her mind on what she's for.
Personally?

I think she won't rock the boat from this middling stability we have today, and she's like the only viable option I see in the next ten to fifteen years of a woman that has more than a small shot at the presidency. And I really think we need to get over this social hurdle.

Just like Barack Obama's presidency didn't fix our racist culture, Hillary's won't fix the sexism inherent in the culture. But both are steps in the right direction.

And for the most part... I don't shy away from political mobility. I mean Barack went from for gay marriage as a state senator to only open to civil unions as a presidential candidate.

Political expediency. Flowing with the direction of the populace to get elected, is smarter than trying to show the public how they're wrong. Better to get elected and show them through action.

And it's not like she's pure politician in this regard. She will fight a hard battle when she feels the chance and motivation. See her tenure as first lady and SoS.

Kud Dukan

Benchmark Politics ‏@benchmarkpol 31s31 seconds ago
Clinton up 10k votes now in Jefferson - Get ready for the news networks to pick it up.

That just came up on Benchmark Politics Twitter feed.

I agree that they're workable.

Obamacare was a very hard fought battle, but it was never unachievable. Let's not forget it took a super democratic majority to get that piece of legislation passed. Sanders is talking about going even farther much faster with at best slight majorities in both the house and senate.

Crayons

Banned
I can't believe I only had 62 posts in the last thread. It felt like I was there for hundreds. I guess sometimes I say stuff in my head and think I posted them

Obamacare was a Heritage Foundation idea. It's a conservative solution to health care. It isn't so out there at all. Not like bread lines or dictatorships or any other crazy stuff Bernie was legit into at some point.

HylianTom

Banned
Personally?

I think she won't rock the boat from this middling stability we have today, and she's like the only viable option I see in the next ten to fifteen years of a woman that has more than a small shot at the presidency. And I really think we need to get over this social hurdle.

Just like Barack Obama's presidency didn't fix our racist culture, Hillary's won't fix the sexism inherent in the culture. But both are steps in the right direction.

And for the most part... I don't shy away from political mobility. I mean Barack went from for gay marriage as a state senator to only open to civil unions as a presidential candidate.

Political expediency. Flowing with the direction of the populace to get elected, is smarter than trying to show the public how they're wrong. Better to get elected and show them through action.

And it's not like she's pure politician in this regard. She will fight a hard battle when she feels the chance and motivation. See her tenure as first lady and SoS.

My thing on her flexibility: a decade ago when she was in the Senate, she was the 11th most liberal senator.

She was already, by a neutral mathematical measurement, a solid mainstream liberal. And she's been "flexible" in that she's moved even further leftward over the past decade.

I can't quibble with that. Especially given the likelihood of continued GOP control of the House, a likelihood which would render much of this Bernie-vs-Hillary legislative policy discussion moot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bernie has the perfect way to exit.

nfseQys.gif

I'm not bothered by him staying in. I'd like to think this primary might lead to reforms in how it's done. As for unifying the party, I think Hillary needs to work at it just as much as Bernie does. Just expecting them to shut up and fall in I think will be a mistake. I don't think many would jump to Trump, but it might just discourage them enough to stay home.

I'm just really worried Hillary and the DNC are going to screw this up somehow and lead us to President Trump.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bernie has the perfect way to exit.

nfseQys.gif

I'm not bothered by him staying in. I'd like to think this primary might lead to reforms in how it's done. As for unifying the party, I think Hillary needs to work at it just as much as Bernie does. Just expecting them to shut up and fall in I think will be a mistake. I don't think many would jump to Trump, but it might just discourage them enough to stay home.

I'm just really worried Hillary and the DNC are going to screw this up somehow and lead us to President Trump.

I'm more worried about Bernie screwing it up at this point. The man can't even condemn violence properly.

ampere

Regardless of how you feel, you have to be realistic about the 2 party system and it does make sense to look at how bad Trump would make things

Obamacare had to compromise a lot. Sanders' plan would try to get rid of Obamacare and basically eliminate health insurerers nationwide. That doesn't sound remotely plausible

Hillary's current stance on social issues is actually really damn good. Good progress for women, LGBT, and minorities. She will put a progressive on the Supreme Court.

pompidu

Personally?

I see your points. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Obamacare was a very hard fought battle, but it was never unachievable. Let's not forget it took a super democratic majority to get that piece of legislation passed. Sanders is talking about going even farther much faster with at best slight majorities in both the house and senate.

Some of Sanders shit is out there but he's genuine in his journey to help people. Hillary does not come off that way at all.

Obamacare was a Heritage Foundation idea. It's a conservative solution to health care. It isn't so out there at all. Not like bread lines or dictatorships or any other crazy stuff Bernie was legit into at some point.

It was so out there they are still trying to overturn that law.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Regardless of how you feel, you have to be realistic about the 2 party system and it does make sense to look at how bad Trump would make things

Obamacare had to compromise a lot. Sanders' plan would try to get rid of Obamacare and basically eliminate health insurerers nationwide. That doesn't sound remotely plausible

Hillary's current stance on social issues is actually really damn good. Good progress for women, LGBT, and minorities. She will put a progressive on the Supreme Court.

This is pretty much why I need to get a "I'm settling for Hillary" bumper sticker. SCOTUS is WAY too important right now. With a chance to flip the court with Scalia, not to mention other vacancies coming up.

It was so out there they are still trying to overturn that law.

With all due respect, you are wrong. They are trying to repeal to obstruct the black man, not to block an idea that they came up with 25 years ago because now they suddenly think it is "out there."

mo60

I bet you their will only be 5 delegate or less difference between Bernie and Hilary in Kentucky if none of them pull away soon.

Going to be 2-4 points in the end, Clinton, going by current voting trends.

That would be great. If she can just keep Oregon from being worse than Washington, the narrative (especially after Bernie's god-awful non-statement about the death threats and whatnot) won't be able to spin this one. Stick a fork in him.

Edit: And that's a phrase, not a death threat. Don't stick forks in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom