• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

This seems like a good time to make a purity test joke.

Jokes on you because I can literally walk to a co-op that's 6 blocks away from me.
Nothing about Cuomo has to do with purity tests? He's just super shitty.

But you have to live in Idaho to be 6 blocks away from one. That's not a positive trade-off.

But you have to live in Idaho to be 6 blocks away from one. That's not a positive trade-off.
That's not true, I live in downtown Cincinnati and we're getting one. Now, yes, Ohio, but still.

Yep. His tweet is false (surprise I know).

Clapper said the FBI is investigating the document and currently can't make an assessment of the document one way or another. Clapper gave no opinion on the document in his statement last night.

Even if the media corrects Trump's statement, Trump's tens of millions of twitter followers are essentially getting "Fake News" by Trump.

Donald Trump on Twitter:

"James Clapper called me yesterday to denounce the false and fictitious report that was illegally circulated. Made up, phony facts.Too bad!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/819520238446411777

Seems as though he's lying, again. At least based on the statement that Clapper released saying they made no judgements about whether the report was true or not.

This is blatantly false. He's outright lying and putting Clapper on the spot as well.

tbm24

It looks like Trump has tapped Giuliani to head his efforts on cyber security. Can't say it's surprising he'd put one of his biggest supporters in charge of the issue he can't seem to shake as easily as the others.

So does this work? You have our intelligence agencies warning other countries not to share Intel with the goddamn president because it could be a national security issue.

Like with everything involving President-elect Cheeto Face, we are in totally uncharted and scary territory so I can even begin to figure out how this works.

Also with no hint of irony, Linda Bean calls the boycott of her company because of her support for Trump "bullying". Yes, she actually said that.

Like with everything involving President-elect Cheeto Face, we are in totally uncharted and scary territory so I can even begin to figure out how this works.

Also with no hint of irony, Linda Bean calls the boycott of her company because of her support for Trump "bullying". Yes, she actually said that.
Are these people not capitalists?

"I don't want to buy your products anymore"
"HELP I'M BEING OPPRESSED"

Maledict

Are these people not capitalists?

"I don't want to buy your products anymore"
"HELP I'M BEING OPPRESSED"

No they aren't - they never have been. Look at how much fuss they kick up when left wingers organise a boycott of something because you know, they kill babies or want to imprison gay people or something. Similarly, look how eager they are to boycott products that dare show that 50% of the human race are actually people, or that gay people might have rights.

Ultimately, one thing this election has finally proven beyond all doubt is that there is no coherent set of right wing beliefs - not one. They are a group of people bound together by hatred and fear, and all that matters is their right to express that and oppress others.

Everything else is a crock of lying shit - small government, fiscal responsibility, individual freedom, strong military - all of it.

C1-G86yXcAAavWj.jpg

The fuck?

It was just a joke, like, let's say the Bernie crowd jumps on the Cuomo train, but then people here say "but he vetoed this good bill about public defenders!", which is a sort of purity test, y'know? I don't support him or anything lol

Living in Idaho is a bad tradeoff but I don't think they're an Idaho related phenomenon. I only found one when I moved from the rural south to my northern college town!

I don't think purity tests will be an issue for most potential candidates, most of whom are simply better politicians than Hillary Clinton and have far less baggage. To me the two biggest red flag candidates are Booker and Newsom, and both are good politicians (especially Newsom). Would I want to see either as the nominee? Hell no, especially against Trump. And he won't need Russian intelligence to find info on their dalliances. Probably matters far less for Booker since he's not married but still.

Cuomo to me is the exception to this rule. He's simply unlikable and a dick. I don't see that working out for him on the national stage.

Kaiterra

Banned
Yep. His tweet is false (surprise I know).

Clapper said the FBI is investigating the document and currently can't make an assessment of the document one way or another. Clapper gave no opinion on the document in his statement last night.

Even if the media corrects Trump's statement, Trump's tens of millions of twitter followers are essentially getting "Fake News" by Trump.

This is the biggest reason why Twitter needs to ban him.

Senate Approves First Step Toward Repealing Obamacare in Late-Night Session

Almost certain they'll repeal before a replacement is worked-out. They're not going to ignore their own deadline, since it'll make them look weak, and irritate their base.
I want the fuckers to go ahead and repeal it. I'm gonna be fine with my employers awesome health insurance. My family and I pay little over $300 a month for full coverage. I am ok with racist rural fucks who voted for Trump to flood the emergency rooms because they had a fucking acid reflux. Or they get their fat legs amputated for $50k. For my brehs who got fucked over, at least you can hope for a single payer revolution in 2020.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I want the fuckers to go ahead and repeal it. I'm gonna be fine with my employers awesome health insurance. My family and I pay little over $300 a month for full coverage. I am ok with racist rural fucks who voted for Trump to flood the emergency rooms because they had a fucking acid reflux. Or they get their fat legs amputated for $50k. For my brehs who got fucked over, at least you can hope for a single payer revolution in 2020.

Our employer-based insurance will probably rise as a result, from what I've read.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

ER usage has actually gone up over the last few years despite the ACA.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
That LL Bean thread is an amazing honeypot for people who don't read the article and don't understand what the Board of Directors at a company is. LL Bean being boycotted by progressives, are you freaking kidding me?

That LL Bean thread is an amazing honeypot for people who don't read the article and don't understand what the Board of Directors at a company is. LL Bean being boycotted by progressives, are you freaking kidding me?

So freaking dumb. I'm gonna be so pissed if LL Bean products becoming a rallying symbol for the right wing because of progressives overreacting.

If anything they should be boycotting Linda Bean's shitty restaurants.

Totakeke

The overreaction to the overreaction is making my brain numb. Just point it out in the thread and leave it be.

studyguy

So freaking dumb. I'm gonna be so pissed if LL Bean products becoming a rallying symbol for the right wing because of progressives overreacting.

If anything they should be boycotting Linda Bean's shitty restaurants.

Expecting something like that seems off though, I don't think we have enough data to even conclude Trump could move that many people to jump on a retail brand. Hell, look at New Balance and how fucked up their marketing has still been since they inadvertently hitched a ride with Trump's stance on TPP.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The overreaction to the overreaction is making my brain numb. Just point it out in the thread and leave it be.

I did, and now people are using the "down with crony capitalism!" argument to try to retroactively justify their inane stupidity in wanting to boycott an extremely progressive company over a donation by a family member who doesn't actually run the company or do anything besides be a figurehead heiress.

Just makes me sad that we're turning into the people we made fun of for so long.

The Democratic Case for running a Celebrity

I dunno, when presented this way, the argument sounds not absurd?

Democrats have 3 years to find somebody (*preferably multiple people) who's clean as possible and is at least decently charming. If it has to be a celebrity, then so be it. 2016 has made it abundantly clear that some people will just not move their asses unless they have a dreamboat at the ballot.

And spend good money on a security firm.

*I'm hoping for a big pool of hopefuls come 2019/20 because the potential Clinton/Sanders proxy war that could come needs to be diluted. Pete Buttigieg was smart to throw his hat in at the DNC leadership race.

ShOcKwAvE

Democrats have 3 years to find somebody (preferably multiple people) who's clean as possible and is at least decently charming. If it has to be a celebrity, then so be it. 2016 has made it abundantly clear that some people will just not move their asses unless they have a dreamboat at the ballot.

And spend good money on a security firm.

I heard Bill Maher recommend Gavin Newsom and when I looked him up and watched some speeches, I was really impressed. Very progressive but with a charisma that seems very conservative...it's actually hard to put into words, but I definitely see him running someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcbxDl4RyFs

Hey all, I'm a long-time lurker, and reading PoliGaf has really helped me this past year.

One thing that has been on my mind recently is how far gone the country has gone in terms of facts and confirmation bias. It made me wonder, has there been any research that has been done that explicitly quantifies or demonstrates "post-truth" society? It came up in a conversation with a friend, and I thought maybe one of you all knew something in this regard.

Thanks for any thoughts/replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom