• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what happens when the wall hits California, and California is like "lol no way, you're not building that on our turf, tough luck"

Although Trump probably doesn't even realize the border extends to California.

They're not even trying with healthcare.

Yet they keep releasing articles and statements that they're totally still trying. Like for real, time is ticking and they're sitting on their asses.

So what happens when the wall hits California, and California is like "lol no way, you're not building that on our turf, tough luck"

Although Trump probably doesn't even realize the border extends to California.

It's not just Cali, the authorizations needed for this dumb thing are MASSIVE. I don't see all the states being on board for it.

Border Wall progress report!

@mattwhouse
These guys... now the wall is going to be IN Mexico, according to @Interior Secretary Zinke.

C8F08YIW4AMAFOB.jpg

We've almost nailed down what side of the border to put the wall on.

Upon learning of the existence of the Rio Grande, Trump was heard to remark "just electrify the moat."

It's not just Cali, the authorizations needed for this dumb thing are MASSIVE. I don't see all the states being on board for it.

I was thinking about California specifically because:

1. Californians hate Trump a lot. A whole lot. More than even most blue states
2. California is massive, with a massive economy, a ton of representatives and a lot of sway in the government

Feds can take any land they need through eminent domain, the state can't stop him

haha, now that'll be a fiasco. Hope Trump likes being in court. A lot. For every farm, house and tree he wants to claim for himself.

And that doesn't even work for tribal land. Another problem he has.

i swear a mediocre looking white dude gets posted in here once a week. Beto looks fresh and (fairly) young next to Ted Cruz which is what I guess matters.

Maledict

I don't understand the comment about the Rio Grande at all. "Our side of the river"? What does that mean? How would building the wall cede the river to Mexico? Are they planing on walling off the entire river all the way through Mexico?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I don't understand the comment about the Rio Grande at all. "Our side of the river"? What does that mean? How would building the wall cede the river to Mexico? Are they planing on walling off the entire river all the way through Mexico?

That's what makes this so ridiculous. I think Trump really wants a physical wall you can look at all the way along the border. So they are left with the task of figuring out the details. The official border runs down the middle of the river, so good luck building there. I think Senators and Reps are going to push back on this quite strongly as it's a waste of money and it affects businesses all along the border.

DonShula

Border Wall progress report!

@mattwhouse
These guys... now the wall is going to be IN Mexico, according to @Interior Secretary Zinke.

C8F08YIW4AMAFOB.jpg

We've almost nailed down what side of the border to put the wall on.

What a tone-deaf statement. Matches exactly Trump's stance on Mexico in general. "We can't be burdened by walling off the river to ourselves, so take the L, Mexico."

If the border's truly in the river, and I'm Mexico, I'm laughing when they come to ask if they can build on my side.

tuffy

What are the chances construction on the wall actually begins?

I'd guess 40%.
Zero %. Congress isn't going to open the checkbook for some massive, pointless public works project. Acquiring the land will take longer than Trump has in office. And the logistics of such a thing will be a nightmare that'll involve pushback at every turn.

In the end it'll evaporate like that health care bill.

He'll just say the wall was actually a metaphor, you must be an idiot for thinking it was a real wall. The Democrats wasted all this time fighting against it because they're losers and didn't realize it was a joke. Just a joke.

Something like that.

What is Nunes' district like? How did California elect such a blatantly stupid congressman?
R+10 *and* majority minority and is like 45% hispanic. It didn't even shift away from Trump compared to Romney really, though it did vote for Harris lol

He got 67% of the vote in a district that's only 42% white, gotta wonder what's up there

Can you not? I'm a big supporter of him but this just reeks of YAAS QUEEN nonsense. If you want to speak positively of him, why not just focus on the positions and legislation he's supported or been a part of?

How about you not? Like on multiple levels. Thanks.

R+10 *and* majority minority and is like 45% hispanic. It didn't even shift away from Trump compared to Romney really, though it did vote for Harris lol

He got 67% of the vote in a district that's only 42% white, gotta wonder what's up there

They're probably young, unregistered, or not citizens. That's from census data, not who votes.

Did... the Montana Democratic Party not bother to do ANY vetting of Rob Quist?

http://billingsgazette.com/news/gov...cle_a660f016-9229-5e3c-9114-f831a0ba012f.html

Rob Quist, Montana’s Democratic candidate for U.S. House, has a 16-year legacy of financial troubles that go beyond the property tax liens reported earlier this week by the Associated Press.

Flathead County court and property records indicate the popular musician turned politician has been turned over to collections, sued by a bank after not repaying a loan and accused of fraud and deceit by a former member of Mission Mountain Wood Band, the group that vaulted Quist to Montana stardom in the 1970s.

Financial records filed with the U.S. House also show that Quist has reported drawing a salary from his campaign, a practice that isn’t illegal, but also not typical. Quist won the Democratic Party's nomination for U.S House on March 5, defeating seven other candidates in a nominating convention.

Quist will face Republican Greg Gianforte and Libertarian Mark Wicks in a special election to fill Montana's at large House seat, vacated earlier this month by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke. Ballots are to be mailed April 28. Voting ends May 25.

The Montana Democratic Party declined to comment on Quist's financial troubles Friday.

Quist attributed the debt trail Friday to 20-years of sporadic illness brought on by a gallbladder operation gone bad in 1996. The candidate said a surgeon accidentally cut his bile duct, a tube that delivers bile from the liver to the small intestine. The duct had to be repaired and Quist has been infection-prone ever since. He said a legal settlement with the Kalispell surgeon prevents him from discussing the botched operation in further detail.

“That was a real pivotal time in my life. I had kind of a five-year plan to make it” as a recording artist. “This was the fourth year of my five-year plan and I had everything in place,” Quist said. “I had the greatest musicians you could find in the Big Sky. I had a bus. I had a sound company and I had a record contract offer from Warner Western and things were getting ready to pop.”

Those plans didn’t pop, Quist said. They collapsed. Quist said he wasn’t able to tour regularly. The record contract offer fizzled. He said his debt problems, which are multiple, are bound to his poor health.

The oldest case involves Kraig Trippel, a Kalispell excavator who did $5,960 worth of work for Rob and Bonni Quist in the spring of 2001, but had to file a lien for payment after most of the bill went unpaid.

The date of the work is important because it’s 10 years before the health episode Quist said kept him from paying his property taxes earlier this decade. That tax debt crept to nearly $15,000 before the Department of Revenue filed liens for three years of unpaid taxes on Quist’s 20-acre ranch.

In court documents, Quist identifies one year, 2011, that he was unable to work because of poor health.

Trippel’s impression of Quist was that the musician was in good health and working in 2001. The contractor told The Billings Gazette Friday the Quists hired him to excavate and landscape an area for a stage and dance floor behind their barn and that work had to be done quickly because the space was going to be put to use.

There are all kinds of jobs Trippel does that can’t wait, emergency work like when someone needs a new septic drain field. The contractor will do that emergency work knowing it has to be done and payment will be slow. But the stage and dance area wasn’t one of those emergency jobs, he said.

“I’ve had people that live in a trailer house and don’t have a pot to pee in get out a shovel and try to do it themselves before calling me. If they can pay $100 or $200 a month, I’ll work with them,” Trippel said. “This wasn’t like that. And I guess I have an issue with someone not paying me for something that was being done just because it was important to pursue for that person.”

Trippel expected to be paid promptly. He said the Quists seemed to want special treatment.

“Both of them, they definitely had a sense of arrogance about them, because he was doing concerts and he was a singer and yada, yada, yada,” Trippel said. “And I don’t care. He’s just another dude to me.”

Two months after the work and Trippel’s attempts to collect, the Quists wrote him a check for $1,000. As September came to an end, the contractor filed a lien, which stayed on the property until January 2002.

Quist said his wife’s health played a part.

“Bonni had some issues herself, I think she had a thing where she had a mercury filling out and somehow infection got into her blood and she had to go in the hospital as well,” Quist said. “I think she had to go in the hospital for 90 days and I think I was out on the road. I think a bill just didn’t get paid on that.”

Trippel was thinking of the lien last Monday as he watched the Kalispell TV evening news with his wife. The anchor was reporting Quists’ tax liens. Trippel’s 2001 lien wasn’t mentioned. The next morning, Bonni Quist turned up on Trippel’s caller ID. He didn’t pick up.

In 2007, the Quists didn’t pay their property taxes. The Montana Department of Revenue filed a lien against the Quists in 2015 for $8,189.38 for unpaid taxes and fees related to the 2007 delinquency. Court records show that In May 2016, the debt was paid off.

In 2010, the Quists stopped making payments on a 1998 line of credit from Wells Fargo. Quist said the matter involved a credit card that he charged on during episodes of poor health. The couple still owed $9,994.19 on the card when the Quists stopped paying the bill in March 2010. Wells Fargo sold the debt to Security Credit Services LLC, which sued the Quists for payment in 2014. The case is ongoing.

In 2011, Flathead County Justice Court ordered the Quists to pay $1,380.17 to Collection Bureau Services Inc., a debt collector in Missoula. The Quists were summoned to court, but didn’t respond, according to the lawsuit’s case history. Collection Bureau Services declined to discuss the debt when contacted by The Gazette last week. The debt was paid in September 2011, roughly 10 months after the lawsuit was filed.

That was the year Rob Quist wasn’t able to work, according to a lawsuit filed by the couple against U.S. Bank, which had threatened to foreclose on their property. The Quists are suing the bank and a title company essentially for not doing more to assist the couple as they tried unsuccessfully to divide and sell their land to pay off the bank. The case is ongoing and Quist isn’t comfortable talking about the lawsuit until it’s resolved.

Ogodei

What are the chances construction on the wall actually begins?

I'd guess 40%.

It was the single centerpiece of his campaign, so i think this is something he'll actually put some fight into. That said, Democrats could just block it by demanding Continuing Resolutions have no funding for the wall (which, they could get, because you're not going to pass a budget with the Freedom Caucus. At least not a budget that would let the Republican party survive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom