• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting things from that PPP poll besides fucking Oprah bullshit. Johnson voters actually come across as fairly sane and overall progressive, which makes me wonder if it really was a lot of younger voters who just couldn't stand Hillary.

Gary Johnson voters disapprove of Trump 18/81. That is, uh, not good. The 11% said they voted for "someone else" (lol) are 12/65 approve. 23% "Not sure", meaning they voted for Trump, are embarrassed about it, and are still not sure what they think about him.

23% of Trump voters support the ACA, 16% not sure. (38% of Stein voters disapprove of the ACA, of course). 35% of Trump voters want to keep/fix the ACA.

Only 23% of Trump voters approve of a law requiring the release of taxes for presidential candidates. lol

JILL STEIN VOTERS HAVE A 42% APPROVAL RATING OF PUTIN AND RUSSIA.

30% of Trump voters thought Russia wanted Hillary to win. 28% that Russia wanted Trump to win. Only 2% of Johnson voters thought Russia wanted Hillary to win, which is less than what Hillary voters say (6%).

52% of Stein voters think that Obama tapped Trump's phone. 57% of Trump voters think that Obama tapped Trump's phone. Only 3% of Hillary voters and 16% of Johnson voters think this.

Johnson voters prefer Obama over Trump 42/21. That is interesting.

EDIT: Only 1% of the sample voted for Jill, which is like 8 people. Still funny. But.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't want the woman responsible for elevating Dr Oz, Dr Phil, Jenny McCarthy and The Secret anywhere near the White House. Stop entertaining this notion.

Why am I not surprised Stein voters are batshit

I don't want the woman responsible for elevating Dr Oz, Dr Phil, Jenny McCarthy and The Secret anywhere near the White House. Stop entertaining this notion.

I mean I somewhat agree, but I don't know if the pseudoscience she brought on her show represents her own beliefs. That being said this is a moot point and I'd vote for almost any democrat in the primaries over her, barring a few like liberal icon Tulsi Gabbard.

Why does Roger Stone Jr actually look like an evil time traveler?

C25_J1_I3_Uc_AUk_ODu.jpg

Teggy

There were three young guys standing behind trump at tonight's rally wearing the exact same blue suit, white shirt and red tie as trump was wearing. Looks like the freaking hitler youth.

Bureacracy is slow, but it's also the reason we have peaceful resolutions to conflict instead of violent ones. By the time Trump answers for everything, the case should be so solid not even Trump supporters can argue with it (although they'll certainly try).
The wheels of justice grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

how come I never get asked to do polls. or nielsen ratings. im dying for a nielsen!!!
I was called for an internal poll conducted by Erik Paulsen's campaign. It was great, I told them Terri Bonoff voting to raise her own salary made me extremely more likely to vote for her.

Dan

I mean I somewhat agree, but I don't know if the pseudoscience she brought on her show represents her own beliefs. That being said this is a moot point and I'd vote for almost any democrat in the primaries over her, barring a few like liberal icon Tulsi Gabbard.
Well, she produced Oz and Phil's shows, they weren't just solid guests for her. She actively fueled their careers beyond her own show. I'm also not about to trust someone so willing to mislead the public for personal gain if she is not, in fact, partial to all the pseudoscience she helped promote.

So this popped up on my Facebook feed:

https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera/videos/10155321830593690

Not a huge fan of the source, but it raises a good point - why isn't anyone talking about these bills? And the number is absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe because they haven't gotten anywhere yet.

Like, once they pass committee people might start talking about them. But until then they're just proposed bills and we have thousands of dumb ones that never go anywhere. Like the guy who introduces the bill to leave the UN every year.

Nelo Ice

Banned
This CNN town hall is a fucking debacle for Price.
Lol just tuned in and he's making a complete fool of himself over this planned parenthood question. And the CNN lady is wrecking him on follow ups. Love how the crowd is clapping every time she brings up facts.

To pay for an increase in defense spending, a down payment on the border wall and school voucher programs, among other things, funding was cut from the discretionary budgets of other executive departments and agencies. The Environmental Protection Agency, the State Department and the Agriculture Department took the hardest hits

The EPA is getting gutted
The Education Department faces a 14 percent cut under the Trump administration budget, which would downsize or eliminate a raft of grants, including for teacher training, afterschool programs, and aid to low-income and minority college students. The cuts would be coupled with a historic investment — $1.4 billion — in charter schools, private schools and other school-choice initiatives.

*sigh*

The 29 percent proposed cut to the State Department refocuses economic and development aid to countries of the greatest strategic importance to the U.S., and it shifts some foreign military aid from grants to loans. It also requires State and USAID to reorganize and consolidate.

Eliminates climate-change prevention programs, including pledged payments to U.N. climate-change programs

Reduces funding for U.N. peacekeeping

Reduces funding for development banks such as the World Bank

Reduces most cultural-exchange programs, but keeps the Fulbright Program

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
There were three young guys standing behind trump at tonight's rally wearing the exact same blue suit, white shirt and red tie as trump was wearing. Looks like the freaking hitler youth.
They all have DJT monogrammed on their (unfashionably long) shirt cuffs.
Who knew Donald's middle name was Jugend?

This CNN town hall is a fucking debacle for Price.
giphy.gif

Pixieking

Banned
Only thing actually surprising about the budget is the 6% increase for VA. Legit thought it would have either no increase, or a pointless 1% increase.

royalan

I'm sorry, but...

If we now live in a world where an ass-backwards doofus like Trump can be elected POTUS, I'm not going to waste time shading Oprah.

If the left is going to have to deal with a rush of celebrity candidates next election thanks to Trump, who better than Oprah? She's a shrewd businesswoman who knows how to surround herself with the right people, and she's made an entire career and empire out of listening to people. I mean, that's most of the building blocks of a decent president right there.

Basically gearing up for War by saying;

Fuck Education.
Fuck Poor People.
Fuck the Environment.
Fuck Poor People.
Fuck Teachers.
Fuck Science.
Fuck Poor People.
Fuck Senior Citizens.
Fuck the U.N.
Fuck Infrastructure.
Fuck the Environment.
Fuck Art.
Fuck Poor People.

Seriously, cutting WIC by $200m? There is literally no positive way to spin that...

I'm sorry, but...

If we now live in a world where an ass-backwards doofus like Trump can be elected POTUS, I'm not going to waste time shading Oprah.

If the left is going to have to deal with a rush of celebrity candidates next election thanks to Trump, who better than Oprah? She's a shrewd businesswoman who knows how to surround herself with the right people, and she's made an entire career and empire out of listening to people. I mean, that's most of the building blocks of a decent president right there.
I'm sorry if "wants someone vaguely resembling qualified" is a purity test.

Just because Oprah can be elected in a post-Trump world doesn't mean she should.

royalan

I'm sorry if "wants someone vaguely resembling qualified" is a purity test.

Just because Oprah can be elected in a post-Trump world doesn't mean she should.

I don't think she should either. Hell, I don't think Oprah thinks she should.

I just think it's funny that we're turning our nose up at the idea of President Winfrey when we reside in a reality where Donald Trump currently occupies the White House.

I don't think she should either. Hell, I don't think Oprah thinks she should.

I just think it's funny that we're turning our nose up at the idea of President Winfrey when we reside in a reality where Donald Trump currently occupies the White House.
Because we still have standards.

Not that President Oprah wouldn't be 100x better than Trump.

Pixieking

Banned
Because we still have standards.

Not that President Oprah wouldn't be 100x better than Trump.

But not everyone has standards, right? I mean, the issues with Oprah running would be 1) She's not qualified and 2) She's just a celebrity. But that second point alone would be a point in her favour for many people, and if the "Fuck the establishment" wave continues to 2020, her lack of qualifications wouldn't be an issue.

It's something that none of us here can really know. If Trump fucks up significantly and causes a new economic crash and almost-nuclear war, then a large portion of the electorate will swing away from no-nothing celebrities, towards people like Hillary - wonkish politicians who actually know stuff. But if he doesn't, then there's no reason to believe that another celebrity won't be elected.

It depends how bad things get, and how stupid people really are.

Dan

I'm sorry, but...

Receipts please.

But not everyone has standards, right? I mean, the issues with Oprah running would be 1) She's not qualified and 2) She's just a celebrity. But that second point alone would be a point in her favour for many people, and if the "Fuck the establishment" wave continues to 2020, her lack of qualifications wouldn't be an issue.

It's something that none of us here can really know. If Trump fucks up significantly and causes a new economic crash and almost-nuclear war, then a large portion of the electorate will swing away from no-nothing celebrities, towards people like Hillary - wonkish politicians who actually know stuff. But if he doesn't, then there's no reason to believe that another celebrity won't be elected.

I mean our goal shouldn't just be to win an election! Oprah is undoubtedly unqualified to be president and just because she could theoretically win a general election doesn't mean she should be our candidate! Do you trust Oprah to make the call on the bin Laden raid? Do you trust Oprah to navigate US policy regarding Taiwan?

It's just dumb. Just because Trump is both a total buffoon and totally unqualified doesn't mean the Democrats' response should be to mirror Republicans.

royalan

Receipts please.

Exactly which receipts do you need?

Her successful television show?

Her successful magazine?

Her successful cable network?

The small army of people who have had their own successful careers launched off her brand?

I need specifics...

I mean our goal shouldn't just be to win an election! Oprah is undoubtedly unqualified to be president and just because she could theoretically win a general election doesn't mean she should be our candidate! Do you trust Oprah to make the call on the bin Laden raid? Do you trust Oprah to navigate US policy regarding Taiwan?

It's just dumb. Just because Trump is both a total buffoon and totally unqualified doesn't mean the Democrats' response should be to mirror Republicans.

No one politician possesses a wealth of knowledge that vast. And the ones who potentially do would never be elected because they tend to be nerds who don't know how to connect to voters. On paper, Obama was not at all qualified to make the call on Bin Laden.

Even Hillary Clinton, for all her wonkishness, is only as informed as she is because of her innate intellectual curiosity and the quality of the people she surrounds herself with.

Pixieking

Banned

See, on the one hand, I entirely agree.

And on the other, I think "If the chances of Oprah winning are better then any other Dem, then it's good. Because it means the process of undoing the damage done by Trump can be started quickly."

And, really, I'd trust Oprah to be smart. Not the smartest possible candidate, no. But not the faint-praise of "Smarter than Trump". But smart enough to properly weigh options, listen to experts, and consider foreign policy before opening her mouth.

If we're saying that having a qualified president is totally meaningless, we should run a mannequin named Generic Democrat in 2020 and just have our decisions made by a council of oligarchs and civil servants. She/he'll poll great too.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Trumps new Travel Ban EO has lost in the Hawaii District Court - at least, like last time, it is subject to a temporary restraining order.

This passage from the ruling tickled me:

ruling said:
The Government appropriately cautions that, in determining purpose, courts should not look into the “veiled psyche” and “secret motives” of government decisionmakers and may not undertake a “judicial psychoanalysis of a drafter’s heart of hearts.” The Government need not fear. The remarkable facts at issue here require no such impermissible inquiry. For instance, there is nothing “veiled” about this press release: “Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States.[]”

Pixieking

Banned
If we're saying that having a qualified president is totally meaningless, we should run a mannequin named Generic Democrat in 2020 and just have our decisions made by a council of oligarchs and civil servants. She/he'll poll great too.

But that's ignoring the reasoning behind Oprah running - her celebrity. She is the very opposite of "Generic Democrat".

pigeon

Banned
Bernie Sanders > Oprah Winfrey > Kanye West = Mark Zuckerberg

All worse than just doing a normal thing like normal people

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This juxtaposition makes zero sense.

Last election made zero sense. The American political landscape makes zero sense.

I'd much, much rather have Biden or Franken. But I'm confident Winfrey could win AND surround herself with viable, intelligent, qualified people. And, yes, that is all we need at this point.

My fear is democrats run someone completely unrelatable like Warren, or somebody like Harris or Buttgieg who I feel might be much bigger stars in the heads of the far left than they actually would be in the national spotlight.

This is why we should elect Franken btw. He's a celebrity who's also extremely intelligent and serious as a politician.

Also, cutting WIC? Give me a freaking break.
Wikipedia sayeth that in 2013 it covered 54% of all infants born in the US (official government statistic). On top of punishing the poor because they're poor, this additionally punishes women for being women! Even better, single parents in particular! It's all of $7B a year, plus it's not even a program that's expanded under Obama so you can't argue its for dismantling his stuff. More cartoon villainy at its finest.

The full funding of the entire freaking WIC program through Trump's term would be cheaper than That Fucking Wall.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'll take Zuckerberg over Oprah.

USA is fucked if Oprah ends up actually running. Bet she'll run as an independent all the way to the election with her magical bullshit movement and hysterical fanbase. It's going to be full of stupid prayers and hopey-dopey-changey catch phrases.

Democrats are 100% certain to lose wit her (Zuck too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom