• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hopefully they will end up working themselves into a shoot over the real problem, how much people make vs how much CEOs make.

The problem can only be solved by people earning more or cost control....or single payer.

And Freedom Caucus just announced they're still against it, thankfully.

Ernest

Banned
Trump's a fucking moron.

He doesn't even understand the real reason countries want nukes. It's not to use them, but to join an exclusive club of countries that will never get invaded. But Trump, being a fucking imbecile, thinks they're like toys that are at his disposal, and therefore also at the disposal of whatever country has them, oblivious to the fact that we're not the only country that doesn't want a country like NK to ever use them, and that they never will. That is, until some idiot like Trump provokes them.

Any attack against NK will immediately be met with a nuke on SK and then all hell will break loose. The best case scenario is NK goes down and only SK goes down and a part of Japan.

Let's hope some sane Repubs are now slapping him upside the head for saying this shit.

jtb

Banned
Did anyone else listen to the recent Pod Save the World, with Glenn Greenwald? As someone who finds Greenwald utterly grating most of the time, I thought it was an excellent conversation.

Same. When Glenn engages intelligent people, rather than his preferred idiot straw men, he's a great listen.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
House is pushing to vote on the updated (and worse) health care bill without a CBO update on Tuesday.

Plinko

The Senate Is never going to vote without a CBO report on the changes. Various Senate Republicans are terrified at the cuts to Medicaid.

Would be amazing to see how many republicans vote yes on this and the terrible results it would bring.

If this passed, I might be leaning toward predicting a Democrat sweep in 2018.

House is pushing to vote on the updated (and worse) health care bill without a CBO update on Tuesday.

love it

They don't get their bill passed AND get their names tied to this toxic piece of trash.

Would be amazing to see how many republicans vote yes on this and the terrible results it would bring.

If this passed, I might be leaning toward predicting a Democrat sweep in 2018.

It would take a modest Democrat lead in 2018 to a LOLOLOL lead.

I know the reason is basically "Trump and his friends are morons" but I really don't understand why their #1 goal isn't helping out the WWC and securing their votes for 2018/2020. Seems like his support is going to drop off a cliff if we get a few months in and we don't see any actual policies in place to help areas like Appalachia and the rust belt.

Maybe they all live in /pol/ delusion land where immigration and Muslims are the #1 issue and nothing else matters.

Disgusting repercussions aside, the idea that Ryan probably spent time at keg parties in college dreaming about Randian budget cuts is both hilarious and something I could totally see being true

He and I went to the same school actually. It's funny thinking about how we partied at the same places. I also had the professor that influenced his entire worldview and he's a huge dick.

Armaros

I know the reason is basically "Trump and his friends are morons" but I really don't understand why their #1 goal isn't helping out the WWC and securing their votes for 2018/2020. Seems like his support is going to drop off a cliff if we get a few months in and we don't see any actual policies in place to help areas like Appalachia and the rust belt.

Maybe they all live in /pol/ delusion land where immigration and Muslims are the #1 issue and nothing else matters.

If this bills passes. Over 10 million people will lose healthcare insurance in the middle of a midterm election. So along side the campagin will be the monthly annoucrment at how many people have lost healthcare. And most of these people will be in red states and districts

Imagine running for reelection to congress with that noose around your neck.

Trump can do what he always does and blame someone else for the failures and wash his hands of it

Blader

What a loser.

Trump doesn't care about anyone who isn't him. He's not interested in the plight of his WWC voters, he was interested in taking them away from the Democrats and winning states that have long been part of the blue wall. He doesn't care about making their lives better, he cared about the challenge of winning their votes and becoming president. He's done that, so now he's content to sign whatever gets on his desk.
Interesting.

By John Podesta! Huh.

Isn't Obama backing Perriello?

Plinko

My one worry again is that they'll throw some red meat tax rebate checks plan out for 2018 right before elections.

By John Podesta! Huh.

Isn't Obama backing Perriello?
He hasn't officially back either side in the primary, but Perriello is "one of his people" and I wouldn't be surprised if once he's done with vacation he does, or at least helps from the shadows. I'm not actually sure if Perriello has any big endorsements, Northam locked up McAuliffe, Kaine, Warner, and the AG.

Apathy

Merkel has to have the patience of a saint to suit there and listen to trump talk after all the shit he's said about her.

And why the hell is ivanka still getting into these meetings

Armaros

So the bill was changed to get House support?

Have any prominent Tea Baggers come forward yet and changed their vote?

Freedom caucus has stated they are still against it. If ALL of them vote it down, it's still dead in the house. Without the CBO report, we don't know what the more moderate ones will do.

This whole thing made a lot more sense once someone mentioned he was probably supposed to get Kaine's seat.
Perriello? He explicitly said in the Primary Concerns podcast he was on that the plan was to appoint a black person to be VA's first black senator and have them take Kaine's seat, I can't remember who it was though.

Freedom caucus has stated they are still against it. If ALL of them vote it down, it's still dead in the house. Without the CBO report, we don't know what the more moderate ones will do.

Make a few "tweaks", fire it back out. Solid plan as we saw how well that worked for the travel ban!

Maxim726X

Whew.

Thanks, that's slightly reassuring. Who did Trump convince today in that impromptu babbling at the WH?

LOL, this whole talk about Germany not paying their 2% GDP for NATO is dumb.

Germany (like Japan) became a defene focussed only military.

+Germany focuses allot more ressorces in anti-terrorism taks forces that are more Police related than Miltary related

NATO members should just count their anti-terrorism squads as "military" instead of police to shut people up who complain about the 2% GDP minimum

kirblar

Perriello? He explicitly said in the Primary Concerns podcast he was on that the plan was to appoint a black person to be VA's first black senator and have them take Kaine's seat, I can't remember who it was though.
Ah, ok. This is so f'n weird to me then w/ the endorsements already in place from the VA Party's big guns.

Ah, ok. This is so f'n weird to me then w/ the endorsements already in place from the VA Party's big guns.

Perriello has Obama's support. Even if he hasn't formally endorsed him, everyone knows it.

I'm more curious about whether or not Perriello has changed his opinions about abortion since 2010

Perriello has Obama's support. Even if he hasn't formally endorsed him, everyone knows it.

I'm more curious about whether or not Perriello has changed his opinions about abortion since 2010
He has, he's called voting for Stupak-Pitts a big mistake and has a section about the importance of the right to choose on his website. Maybe it's a cynical shift with public opinion, maybe it isn't, he's said that he's always been pro choice but changed on public funding for abortions. I still like him a lot.

Mark Murray‏Verified account @mmurraypolitics 1m1 minute ago
Per @frankthorp, Sen. Heller (R-NV) comes out against House GOP health-care bill.

"I do not support the House bill in its current form.”

kirblar

And my confusion is lifted again:

Democratic push to end gerrymandering, helmed by Eric Holder, to begin in Va. (WaPo)

Eric H. Holder Jr., the former U.S. attorney general, is coming to Virginia to support Democrats trying to hold on to the governor’s mansion, the first stop for his new national campaign to reverse years of Democratic losses on the state level by reshaping legislative maps that have favored Republicans.

Holder will deliver the keynote address at the Democratic Party of Virginia’s annual Jefferson Jackson Dinner on June 17, four days after voters cast their ballots in the Democratic gubernatorial primary.

He will be speaking as chair of the National Democratic Redistricting Committee (NDRC), formed last year to undo what it calls partisan gerrymandering by Republicans, who took control of 26 state legislatures in the tea party wave of 2010. The group is coordinating with Democratic campaign groups to fund gubernatorial candidates who can veto new legislative maps after the 2020 Census as well as legal challenges to legislative maps and ballot initiatives to create independent redistricting commissions.

Former president Barack Obama has said supporting the group’s efforts would be one of his top priorities after leaving office.
A spokeswoman for the party said that McAuliffe transferred $100,000 from his political action committee this week to support its organizing and data-sharing efforts. The party hired Lauren Brainerd, a former field director in Virginia who most recently led the coordinated campaign for Hillary Clinton in Florida, to lead the coordinated campaign and rebuild a statewide organizing program.
They want their guy in there since they're going all-in on VA.

NeoXChaos

And my confusion is lifted again:

Democratic push to end gerrymandering, helmed by Eric Holder, to begin in Va. (WaPo)

They want their guy in there since they're going all-in on VA.

define "end gerrymander". There will always be safe R and D seats in the U.S House and state level. Are they trying to draw maps in their favor? computerized maps that will neutralize party advantages in all 50 states? Are they competing to capture seats everywhere even hostile territory like WY, ID, KS, UT, OK, AL etc or just states they have a shot in? Is this a 10, 20, 30, 40+ year plan?

what hypothetical seats in play are possible if all state and federal maps were ungerrymandered? is my state map a gerrymander on the state level?

So many questions.

kirblar

define "end gerrymander". There will always be safe R and D seats in the U.S House and state level. Are they trying to draw maps in their favor? computerized maps that will neutralize party advantages in all 50 states? Are they competing to capture seats everywhere even hostile territory like WY, ID, KS, UT, OK, AL etc or just states they have a shot in? Is this a 10, 20, 30, 40+ year plan?
Probably the computerized map thing. If the playing field is level, D's have the advantage.

I just think the goal is to end the sorts of absurd gerrymandering in purplish states that end up in lopsided tilts. You can't un-gerrymander most of the places you listed I don't think because most of them are just so Republican that you can't really draw a fair map that gives Democrats seats, like MA's all D delegation. OK's most competitive district is R+13, I don't think there's any fixing that.

The real goal is to take states like Ohio, Michigan, or Pennsylvania and end their pretty absurd gerrymanders. There's no reason we should only get 4/16 of the congressional seats in Ohio.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Unlike the DNC race, Perriello and Northam seem very different from each other, at least in campaign style. Northam seems very similar to Kaine while Perriello seems very similar to Obama.

Nationally, Perriello's campaign style is way better, but I think there's a chance that Virginia is the last place where traditional third way democrat campaigning works best. It is one of the few states that Clinton did do way better than Obama, and was projected to even before Kaine was VP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom