• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If "purity tests" are literally their biggest feature, why did tea party voters get so behind Trump when his health care statements were, by far, the farthest left in the primary?

Because they never cared about actual policy. They care about fucking over brown people and they trusted Trump to do just that.

There's a reason he coached all his statements on everything in blatant racism. It's because that's what the Tea Party cares about.

To be fair it's not like a President Rubio or Kasich would be able to pass a healthcare bill either.

They'd at least be able to discuss ideas or understand the legislative process, as opposed to Trump who made unrealistic promises regarding health care (that neither Rubio or Kasich would've done) or allowed Ryan to craft the entire thing without any input from their team, thus ensuring the lose-lose situation Paul Ryan's health care bill has currently put the GOP in (much to the delight of the left).

If "purity tests" are literally their biggest feature, why did tea party voters get so behind Trump when his health care statements were, by far, the farthest left in the primary?

Because they never cared about actual policy. They care about fucking over brown people and they trusted Trump to do just that.

There's a reason he coached all his statements on everything in blatant racism. It's because that's what the Tea Party cares about.

Heck, you still see it at the rallies Trump hosts. You keep seeing anchors interview these people, and all of them are shitting on Trump when it comes to the budget & healthcare, but they are still ranting & cheering because of the border wall & travel ban. It's almost like his cratering approval rating won't affect GOP come 2018 if he manages to get the wall started or the travel ban put in, even if he gets the budget & AHCA passed, thus eviscerating the counties who most voted for him.

The realization that these rural voters will continue to support Trump as he destroys their economic interests even further as long as he continues to make life more difficult for black/brown people is probably one of the most messed up realizations i've had about this country in a long time.

I find it funny when people in this thread make predictions. We're empirically terrible at this.

It's not a prediction though. There are a lot of factors at play and the dominant ones here are that the Freedom Caucus cannot be compromised with (because all they want is full repeal), Trump is not good at his job, and neither is Ryan. There is no Nancy Pelosi down there to crack heads, threaten people, etc.

Ask yourself this: can you name anyone in Washington who is championing this bill outside of Trump, Pence, and Ryan?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Because he hates brown people and sexually assaults beautiful women.

So I guess the biggest question is why many of the Freedom Caucus are such ideologically pure conservatives to an extreme on a policy level when the voters that put them in power are decidedly not ideologically driven in that way.

I'd say it's the money influence that is a big part of the astro turf roots of the tea party, but that's something that clearly cannot be done on the left, because that money who wants to block everything that's not single payer doesn't exist.

kirblar

So I guess the biggest question is why many of the Freedom Caucus are such ideologically pure conservatives when the voters that put them in power are decidedly not ideologically driven in that way.
Because they're ideologues that believe they have a silent majority, just like the far left.

They're people who have been whining and complaining from the outside their whole careers and have no idea how to actually govern.

Even Bush did a better job of selling his worst legislative failure (SS privatization, which the AARP vehemently opposed as well btw). I'm going to assume Trump is unable to sell the legislation during meetings because he doesn't understand the legislation, and is a dumbass. Most presidents are pretty good at selling things to congress on home court (the White House), especially when it's just a matter of convincing a few holdouts.

Now I will be fair to Trump: no one would be able to win over the Freedom Caucus on this because they want a full repeal. But I'd argue Trump is handling it worse than any modern republican president because he doesn't understand what he's selling.

Not just that - Trump doesn't actually have to sell the damn thing to begin with; all he needs to do is assure the holdouts that he'd stump for them in their states come election season in 2018. It's actually one of Trump's biggest weapons - he can rally and energize his base, and doing so for people who are supporting him in the house, and Trump prefers to do rallies instead of actually working in the White House. Trump just doesn't know his own value when it comes to politics, which is actually a great thing - I would be petrified if we ever got a scenario where there was a GOP political presence with the showmanship of Trump without the ignorance & ineptitude.

So I guess the biggest question is why many of the Freedom Caucus are such ideologically pure conservatives to an extreme on a policy level when the voters that put them in power are decidedly not ideologically driven in that way.

I'd say it's the money influence that is a big part of the astro turf roots of the tea party, but that's something that clearly cannot be done on the left, because that money who wants to block everything that's not single payer doesn't exist.

Because the Freedom Caucasus are actually pure ideologues, they don't give a fuck what their voters want... they have a very specific vision for what "freedom" and "liberty" is and they won't compromise on any of it.

LAtoDC

Neo Member
Following this pretty closely as I worked fairly extensively on ACA efforts in Washington the past five years...

I think Ryan will pull the vote to allow time for more sweetners to be added to the bill, but at this point, I don't know if it will make a difference. I also find it ironic that the Tea Party could wind up being the deciding factor in maintaining "Obamacare".

tbm24

Likely because they realized Trump will sign anything. He's not in charge of legislation, they are. If they brought repeal to his desk he'd sign it. Its why he's coming out in support of this bill 100%, he doesn't understand it and doesn't care to. It's Ryan who let them down, and they are likely not surprised.

Following this pretty closely as I worked fairly extensively on ACA efforts in Washington the past five years...

I think Ryan will pull the vote to allow time for more sweetners to be added to the bill, but at this point, I don't know if it will make a difference. I also find it ironic that the Tea Party could wind up being the deciding factor in maintaining "Obamacare".

If indictments drop re: Trump's staff and Russia they are going to have an even harder time getting anything big passed.

Zeke

So no shit I just saw a thank republicans and Will Hurd for repeal and replacing obamacare, they are keeping their promises commercial. I'm stunned he even attached himself to Ryan's plan.

Are the Freedom Caucus voters and panhandle/miner racist poors actually even the same voters.

They got behind the R in the general because they like to win unlike the loser left.

LAtoDC

Neo Member
I also don't think it's a coincidence Paul Ryan had such high praise for Trump today by saying he "hit it out of the park".

He's trying to put the ball back in his court, er maybe I should say field, and knows if it fails, it's Trump's failed negotiations and not his ability as Speaker.

PBY

Banned
David Goodman‏Verified account @davidgoodmanFBN 2m2 minutes ago
More
Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) on GOP health care bill to Fox: I don't think the bill will pass. "They should cancel the vote."

I still think this passes lol.

Not just that - Trump doesn't actually have to sell the damn thing to begin with; all he needs to do is assure the holdouts that he'd stump for them in their states come election season in 2018. It's actually one of Trump's biggest weapons - he can rally and energize his base, and doing so for people who are supporting him in the house, and Trump prefers to do rallies instead of actually working in the White House. Trump just doesn't know his own value when it comes to politics, which is actually a great thing - I would be petrified if we ever got a scenario where there was a GOP political presence with the showmanship of Trump without the ignorance & ineptitude.

TBH I'm not even sure that's leverage. He's already sub 40% approval (Gallup), what's he going to be at next summer? Furthermore those districts are facing a lot of opposition from old white people on Obamacare...how are they going to react if Trump comes to town next fall bragging about eliminating their healthcare and patting their congressman on the back? Seems like that would hurt them more than help.

One of the biggest reasons this bill is facing so much opposition is because many older republican voters are on Medicaid, and will lose their coverage if it passes.

kirblar

TBH I'm not even sure that's leverage. He's already sub 40% approval (Gallup), what's he going to be at next summer? Furthermore those districts are facing a lot of opposition from old white people on Obamacare...how are they going to react if Trump comes to town next fall bragging about eliminating their healthcare and patting their congressman on the back? Seems like that would hurt them more than help.

One of the biggest reasons this bill is facing so much opposition is because many older republican voters are on Medicaid, and will lose their coverage if it passes.
Yup. The attack ads aimed at older white retirees write themselves.

Chumley

Banned
Just listened to the latest Pod save America. Knew nothing about Jon Ossoff before this but nearly spat out my drink when they said he's younger than them. Could have told me he was in his 60's, he does not talk
and sound like a guy who just turned 30 last month lol.

I wonder what Trump's response is gunna be if it doesn't pass. He's pushing HARD today to make it happen.

Public flogging of Paul Ryan.

Surfinn

Trump just said he wouldn't stop criticising judges, after saying "somebody said I shouldn't criticize judges", in reference to Gorsuch's comment via hearing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm advising my dad to get his money out of his stocks. Everything's up right now, and I've got this nervous feeling in my gut after the G20 stuff

To be fair it's not like a President Rubio or Kasich would be able to pass a healthcare bill either.

Eh, they'd probably be in a better position to at least put some pressure on the Freedom Caucus. Trump's disastrous approval ratings means that any threat of retaliation from him is toothless; he's got jack shit for a base that's loyal to him specifically, whereas I bet Rubio or Kasich would at least be in the mid to high 40s right now.

Because the officials are actually ideologues, while their base is made up of racists. The main thing that gets Steve King re-elected is not his stance on economic policy, but the fact that he's a guy from a northern state that fought for the Union and he's still toting a Confederate flag around and keeps them in his photo ops. (I.E. it ain't about Southern Heritage (tm) if you're from Iowa, it's just white nationalism).

If you poll rural Mississippi about single payer healthcare, you'll be surprised to know it's really popular! On paper, that is. Try to implement it and all it takes is one highly racially charged attack ad (pictures of black people in Jackson timed to show up when they use words like "freeloaders" and whatnot) and suddenly all that support just vanishes.

The right has a problem with racists picking idiotic candidates who are shameless enough to encourage their beliefs. Our only issue is our crazies are more into anti-vax conspiracies and really naive positions on foreign policy. It's not nearly as bad as them, but I'm hesitant to jump both feet first into a Green Tea Party movement.

Diablos

It's you!

You always show up when interesting things are happening.

I think there will be a vote... not sure if it passes the House or not.

Tamanon

Banned
Ironically, a President Clinton would probably be able to pass a health care bill.

And I'm also not sure Ryan can NOT put up a vote. Even if they lose, not even trying to pass legislation won't help them at all.

Can you imagine the legislation we could get if the GOP just said "screw you Freedom Caucus" and just started making bills with the Democrats

You know

Like an actual working government system

It won't pass. More sweeteners will ensure the HFC is against it entirely and that means Republicans can't pass it. I think it goes back to committee and then dies a slow death. Without Democrats or the HFC they cannot get anything passed. The odds of Democrats--even from Red States--voting for any variation of the AHCA are literally nonexistent, and most Republicans ran on "Repeal and Replace" which means they can't do a straight Repeal which is what the HFC wants.

If you listen to Conservative Media they hate the AHCA. They rail against the fact that it still holds on to the "fundamentals" of the ACA, and how it does nothing to address the price of Premiums or high Deductibles. They're not wrong at all, the AHCA is a joke of a bill that basically just purges 20-30m people from having Health Care, and does nothing to help improve the quality of care for people that actually have Health Insurance.

I'm advising my dad to get his money out of his stocks. Everything's up right now, and I've got this nervous feeling in my gut after the G20 stuff

I was thinking of doing the same. Between the anti-Trade mentality and the Trump Administration literally shitting all over its allies, I don't see the markets staying this high for long--especially once some of these international companies start making big deals with new trade allies in Europe/China/India.

Reporting from everyone's favorite House District - PA 197!

Currently write ins are dominating, 94% to 6%. That means that the Dem or Green candidate won, but we have no idea what the write ins say until later. No idea when.

royalan

I don't want to get my hopes up because, well, Republicans, but I wonder what our politics looks like come Thursday if Ryan is forced to pull the bill or AHCA comes to a vote and doesn't pass.

Somehow, I doubt congressman will be met with overwhelming public outrage over sparing 20 million people from losing their healthcare. In fact, I predict that there will be much cheering.

So then what happens? The threat of Trump busted as congressman realize that they can oppose him and live to tell the tale? The curtain gets pulled back on Paul Ryan and he finally loses his undeserved wonkish mystique?

And if both of these things happen? What happens to Trump and Russia? If the Republicans in congress lose their fear of Trump...

jtb

Banned
I doubt AHCA will pass the House. Ryan has barely any experience whipping votes. To me, the only question is whether he'll be deluded enough to bring it to the floor.

I doubt AHCA will pass the House. Ryan has barely any experience whipping votes. To me, the only question is whether he'll be deluded enough to bring it to the floor.

Just heard on NPR the vote is planned for Thursday. I expect them to back out when Thursday rolls around. The buzz has only gotten worse that they don't have the votes. The only reason I can think of for them holding a vote is to act as a Party Purity Test, to try and shame Republicans that won't fall in line.

kess

I'm kind of fascinated by the semantics game tbe Trump Administration is playing with NASA right now -- defining the core mossion of NASA as one that is mutually exclusive to exploration, and if not opposed, it's implied that earth sciences is not its mission, knowing well that EPA, NOAA and Interior Department funding for climate sciences is going to be cut. The spin on social media is ridiculous.

There's also city council elections for the new city of South Fulton in Georgia and a BLM organizer/DSA member/Our Revolution candidate named khalid kamau is currently winning a seat with 60% of the vote in. That's pretty cool.

pigeon

Banned
There's also city council elections for the new city of South Fulton in Georgia and a BLM organizer/DSA member/Our Revolution candidate named khalid kamau is currently winning a seat with 60% of the vote in. That's pretty cool.

This is great news. Georgia needs to be a big target going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom