• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

For as much as everyone loves calling Manchin racist, he did come out strongly against both iterations of the travel ban even though I'm sure he had nothing to gain from doing so.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/870226056636248064

How many times did Trump's aircraft fly to Russia? Zero, the records say. Not even in Nov 2013, when he was there for Miss Universe pageant.

Qvd7cIel.jpg

Considering we've got photos of him in Russia, he had to get there somehow. It's fairly obvious he takes someone else's plane into Russia from this data.

On a whole range of issues we need large blue states to set strong examples. It's Machiavellian but a sharp divide between red and blue standards of living can push close states over the edge. If I'm sitting in Arizona and a nearby state pulled off a massive successful agenda compared to what my red governor/senator/etc... have been suggesting, then I'm going to start thinking about voting that way.

We don't even need permanent affiliation. If we get a ton of the country to adopt certain programs or systems, they won't want to give them up once they have them.

Edit: thought I hit quote but this is referring to CA health care.

Or they just will move to another state making it redder.

Considering we've got photos of him in Russia, he had to get there somehow. It's fairly obvious he takes someone else's plane into Russia from this data.

Which, of course, begs the next question any good journalist would ask: whose plane?

This journalist would be wondering that.

For as much as everyone loves calling Manchin racist, he did come out strongly against both iterations of the travel ban even though I'm sure he had nothing to gain from doing so.

As I tell people, he's about as progressive as you're going to get in West Virginia. Bernie winning the primary there had very little to do with a groundswell of progressive voters who care about black lives matter or women's rights and very much to do with his appeal to protectionist policies and anti-globalization rhetoric. That's why 39% of Sanders voters in the WV primary said they intended to vote for Trump in the general. The state has no appetite for truly progressive politicians. It's 94% white but, unlike Vermont, is also severely uneducated. With the opioid crisis there might be a way to sell universal healthcare in WV, but generally speaking it is not a state full of yoga stretching, latte sipping white people. Even Manchin only gets by on name recognition and incumbent advantage. The state is about as far right as you can get today.

Also, if anyone'ss interested, the New Yorker just put out a great long-form article about my hometown in WV. Some fellow gaffers can get a glimpse into my roots :p
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/05/the-addicts-next-door

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Which, of course, begs the next question any good journalist would ask: whose plane?

This journalist would be wondering that.

According to reports he took a Vegas friend's plane into Russia for the pageant.

via https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/us/politics/donald-trump-russia-business.html?_r=0

The trick from here would be finding other instances of Trump in Russia and figuring out how he got there. Hell, just placing him in Russia again would be enough to warrant questions about his travel habits.

Diablos

Senate Bill 562, by Sens. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, and Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, passed 23-14 and will now advance to the Assembly, where it will likely be amended to include taxes. And that would mean the measure would require two-thirds votes in both chambers.

What we did today was really approve the concept of a single-payer system in California," Lara said in an interview after the vote.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/01/california-senate-passes-single-payer-health-care-plan/

Seems like they have a long way to go. Remains to be seen in this ever becomes law, but man, I am so excited for Cali... leading the way as usual.

With every passing year I consider moving to the west coast just a little bit more...

Ogodei

Trump's election was a huge boon to progressivism in Virginia, we might well have swung back to a GOP governor's mansion otherwise, but that's now looking like a distant possibility.

Ecotic

I wish Jerry Brown came 10 or 20 years younger, seeing him on t.v. today makes me realize how powerful it is to be able to speak against Trump's policies and cite the success of stewarding the nation's biggest economy as a rebuttal.

"Here's why Trump's policy is bad, and here's how the opposite was done to great success. Look at how strong California is."

There's a strong sense of stature and credibility when he speaks. Then again maybe being in his 80's wouldn't matter. He looks younger and maybe having someone older than Trump speak about how short-sighted Trump's policies are would be a powerful contrast.

I'd take Manchin over the moderate R darlings like Olympia Snow any day.

I liked her marginally more than the other Maine Moderate Darling Susan Collins (holy alliteration), but only because she was a hair more liberal. She still voted party line more often than not.

It's my crusade to show people that moderate Republicans no longer exist, at least on the national level. They became endangered with the Republican Revolution in '94 and borderline extinct after the Tea Party in '10. These supposed moderates are not the Margaret Chase Smiths and the Nelson Rockefellers and the John Warners (the 7th Mr. Elizabeth Taylor) who supported the New Deal and civil rights (but thought they could run things more efficiently), who would occasionally oppose their president's Supreme Court nominee, and who were in some ways more liberal than conservative Democrats from the south. Back then, you might not be a Republican, as I would not have been, but you could perhaps understand why someone would be.

Calling Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski "moderate" shifts the discourse too far right and makes extreme views look centrist and palatable. It gets scarier when these "moderates" get primaried by people even loonier than they (e.g., Flake in Arizona), eventually shifting things even further right.

In short, I agree with you but felt compelled to offer my own criticism of the moderate darlings. :)

The Adder

Banned
In regards to Manchin:

On the congressional level I'm all for running who you need to run to win seats as long as they won't obstruct a progressive agenda, even if they don't support it. As long as Manchin can be counted on as the vote that breaks a filibuster aimed at, say, a new voting rights act I couldn't care less if he couldn't be counted on to vote for it. In a perfect world every democratic congressperson could be counted on for both, but this world isn't perfect.

In the executive branches and in the state houses, however, this is not the case.

jtb

Banned
In regards to Manchin:

On the congressional level I'm all for running who you need to run to win seats as long as they won't obstruct a progressive agenda, even if they don't support it. As long as Manchin can be counted on as the vote that breaks a filibuster aimed at, say, a new voting rights act I couldn't care less if he couldn't be counted on to vote for it. In a perfect world every democratic congressperson could be counted on for both, but this world isn't perfect.

In the executive branches and in the state houses, however, this is not the case.

This is a smart way to frame it. As far as I can tell, he's never been openly obstructionist even when he's disagreed with Dems. And he's taken tough votes, like on gun control. (Even when they knew it would fail)

The Junior Senator from New York.

Who managed a perfect base-pleasing voting record when no one else did.

Ah haha of course!

Yes, she's been great at reading the current political environment and caught on right away that working with Trump was not the politically smart (or right!) thing to do.

Wilsongt

Now would be a great time to invest in some new near beach front property, because in a few years, that shit will be worth bank.

People fly confederate flags in West Virginia?
Isn't the whole point of West Virginia... that it didn't secede with regular ol' Virginia?
When West Virginia seceded, the original constitution called for not allowing any black people, slave or free, within her borders, so yes, it was founded on hatred for blacks. But, I grew up and lived in West Virginia for 25 years and I never saw a rebel flag until I lived in a dorm, and we made fun of the southern WV guy who hung it up (his nickname was "Country Fuck"). There was never any pro-southern teaching in history classes. I was genuinely shocked when I found out both my grandfather and mother-in-law were racists, so they hid it well. It was only with Obama's election that I saw unrepentant racism, and it's mostly from people who've never left the state. I love West Virginia, and even though I've now lived longer in Maryland, I still consider myself "from" there. But I no longer have dreams of ever moving back.

Trump is taking his travel ban to the Supreme Court

Which one? The first one or the second one?

First one would easily get struck down by an 8-0 decision. It had a provision that said "we'll let in people people are 'religious minorities of those nations'" which is still a blatant religious test even if it doesn't explicitly say "fuck Muslims"

Second one would probably get struck down too, but Thomas and Alito would Dissent.

Like, I get why Fox News would be going full breitbart, but why would a business channel want to go balls deep on using the word "globalists"?

Teggy

Ivanka Trump @IvankaTrump

Logging back on after Shavuot, wishing everyone a joyful #Pride2017. This month we celebrate and honor the #LGBTQ community.

9:21 PM · Jun 1, 2017

And of course my favorite response

Ashley Feinberg @ashleyfeinberg

haahahha go fuck yourself

kess

Which one? The first one or the second one?

First one would easily get struck down by an 8-0 decision. It had a provision that said "we'll let in people people are 'religious minorities of those nations'" which is still a blatant religious test even if it doesn't explicitly say "fuck Muslims"

Second one would probably get struck down too, but Thomas and Alito would Dissent.

Like, I get why Fox News would be going full breitbart, but why would a business channel want to go balls deep on using the word "globalists"?

If Gorsuch votes with the rest of the court, expect some serious salt.

Still hoping the line of sucession is so tainted we end up with President Mnuchin just because, although the GOP would csll him one of the good globalists or something.

Teggy

...Somebody want to inform me what DIMM means? I keep thinking Dobbs lost it and polled memory modules.

It's like "Demorats", "Rethuglicans", etc but for "Dems". Yes, an actual adult on a real television network uses childish names to refer to the party whose policies he doesn't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom