• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
FBI agent:
"No, it's not an assassination attempt"
Dismisses account that shooter asked for party IDs "not aware of that at all"

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/874999794716037120

Hopefully they stop pushing that shit.

The shooter at the GOP congressional baseball practice this morning is James T. Hodgkinson of Belleville, Ill., according to law enforcement officials. Hodgkinson, 66, owns a home inspection business. His home inspection license expired in November 2016 and was not renewed, state records show.

Hodgkinson was charged in April 2006 with battery and aiding damage to a motor vehicle, according to online records in St. Clair County, Illinois. The charges were dismissed, records show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...as-james-t-hodgkinson/?utm_term=.9e67e0e8f3cd

Holmes

Alexandria Police Chief confirms what has been the case for the past few hours, the Congressional shooting case is being handled by the FBI.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/874998341221974016

FBI is taking over.

Capitol police offers who were shot are in good condition and do not have life-threatening injuries, says Capitol Police chief Verderosa.

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/874998773230993408
Congressional Republicans are under FBI investigation #breakingnews

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah, Drudge is pushing that now, too. You know the GOP--they'll politicize anything.

People still show their support of Bernie Sanders on social media? ...In 2017? June, 2017, an entire year after the primaries were over?

Sigh. At least "caucasian Sanders-supporter-turned-shooter" sounds pretty one-off.
Still not seeing how the GOP is going to heavily politicize an old white guy.
I feel like crap for hoping it's "just" this simple.

No major narrative advantage came out of the Family Research Council shooting and that's the last politically motivated shooting by a liberal that I can think of.

Hopefully this just dominates the media cycle for like 48 hours and then something else comes up or they take the mental illness angle like they did with that shooting.

Hopefully.

It's a great opportunity for Donald Trump to speak of unity at a time when a shooting of congressman and police occurs. To help heal the divide and go tone down the rhetoric that has led the country to become so insanely tribal.

I'm sure that's exactly what his message is going to be, right? RIGHT?

No major narrative advantage came out of the Family Research Council shooting and that's the last politically motivated shooting by a liberal that I can think of.

Hopefully this just dominates the media cycle for like 48 hours and then something else comes up or they take the mental illness angle like they did with that shooting.

Hopefully.
I hope so.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Hopefully.

This will dominate till the next bomb drops. Trump and Ryan will push the message this was an attack on the GOP.

It's a great opportunity for Donald Trump to speak of unity at a time when a shooting of congressman and police occurs. To help heal the divide and go tone down the rhetoric that has led the country to become so insanely tribal.

I'm sure that's exactly what his message is going to be, right? RIGHT?

I don't even want to know what he'll say. I'm lucky that school just started for me so I won't have to pay an ounce of attention to the opportunism.

This will dominate till the next bomb drops. Trump and Ryan will push the message this was an attack on the GOP.

Both Ryan and Pelosi are going to do a joint address to the House floor at noon so at least in the short term, he appears to want some level of bipartisanship in addressing the shooting.

Trump's statement will most likely be a fear mongering self congratulatory tire fire like his Orlando response.

Ryan and Pelosi doing a joint address makes me think that the Right probably isn't going to go all in on anti left rhetoric.

Yeah but the country is so polarized that everyone is already entrenched on whether this is an aberration or typical liberal tactics or whatever. The Giffords shooting didn't result in a groundswell of support for liberal policies and this won't for the AHCA either.

It's really the same messaging in reverse. When The Giffords shooting happened we pointed to Palin's crosshairs map and now with this one they're pointing to D rhetoric. Major difference here is that (so far/knock on wood) nobody is dying from this incident so R messaging might even be weaker than ours was on Giffords. As cynical as that may be.

The GOP needs to be careful blaming Democrats, lest they create a rallying cry for liberals to latch onto.

Even within just the last hour there's been a shift in tone with responses from liberals. People really don't like being blamed for something they had no part in, and also quite a lot of liberals are probably happy, even if they won't express it publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom