• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I would love the irony if they basically end up passing the Gang of 8 plan.

I would love the irony if they basically end up passing the Gang of 8 plan.

This kind of intrigues me. We know from diplomats that Trump’s primary rationale for decision-making is taking the position opposite Obama’s. Could he be convinced to sign failed Obama-era proposals under the position that Obama was too weak and ineffective to get it done? And how far could we take it? Gang of Eight? Public Option? 😜

Emarv

I guess I don't see the inherent harm in Chuck & Nancy doing early press releases to put pressure on him.

I could totally see them sweet talking him to a deal and then they leave and immediately his advisers start telling him to do otherwise.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
go Nancy go!

Edit:

They should make another deal with him, stabilize CSRs in ACA, add a Medicare buy in option to all exchanges, sweeten the pot for Medicaid expansion holdout states and rescind the medical device tax. You can add in some token tort eform and call it the "The Donald J Trump Repealing Obamacare and Making American Healthcare Great Again Act!!"

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DJpqBNEVYAEOT39.jpg:large

lol

You want to make US businesses more competitive, and attract new businesses?

Find a way to phase out employer sponsored healthcare.

Nancy is good at her job

But I'd be more comfortable with Brett Favre at QB knowing we have a young Aaron Rodgers holding the clip board

Instead it's looking like were gonna have to bring in Colt McCoy if anything happens in the future

Pixieking

Banned
Nancy is good at her job

But I'd be more comfortable with Brett Favre at QB knowing we have a young Aaron Rodgers holding the clip board

Instead it's looking like were gonna have to bring in Colt McCoy if anything happens in the future

Are you mad?

That's just not cricket, old man.

(How many are going to get the
joke?)

Teggy

Benjy Sarlin had a good point, though. Does Trumps base really care what he does? They think he is god king and just assume whatever he does is good.

Benjy Sarlin had a good point, though. Does Trumps base really care what he does? They think he is god king and just assume whatever he does is good.
He's done way more than enough to have credibility with them to were siding with Pelosi and Schumer on some things won't matter to them

They'll just blame Ryan and McConnell. It's THEIR fault. Trump tried to give them what they wanted but they couldn't deliver the votes.

Honestly if you polled Ryan and McConnell's favorables, they probably aren't much better with republicans than they are with democrats. They are 100% lower than Trump's

So pelosi and schumer being you know, actual politicians with actual history of getting things done have cracked the trump code it seems.

Man what a fuckin year.

This. The reason King et al are freaking out is because the racist base will continue to love Trump but they aren't going to show up for the rest of the GOP thats what they are really pissed off about.

Barzul

Wow DREAM act is more than I expected. I thought it'd just be DACA codified as law or just permanent residency etc. Path to citizenship would be incredible.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Imagining the absolute GLEE pelosi and schumer must be experiencing right now. Imagine how hard they're laughing, looking at each other, eyebrows raised as trump looks away in these meetings.

He's done way more than enough to have credibility with them to were siding with Pelosi and Schumer on some things won't matter to them

They'll just blame Ryan and McConnell. It's THEIR fault. Trump tried to give them what they wanted but they couldn't deliver the votes.

Honestly if you polled Ryan and McConnell's favorables, they probably aren't much better with republicans than they are with democrats. They are 100% lower than Trump's

I dunno, it seems to be balanced between them so far.

I mean, I was expecting "Moderates vs Nationalists" GOP civil war but if this causes further fracturing, and a death of the Third I of Conservatism, then so be it.

Although, it could just be Bannon Harkonnen and other shitspewers figuring out they're losing grip on the public conciousness after Charlottesville and the focus on social media by investigators.

I agree with this. Reading the comment sections of a few sites. All you see is hate for Ryan guys but not trump. Some people are all in with him. He wasn't noking about how he could shoot SOMONE and they still vote for him.

Yeah I think that floor of Trump support (34%ish) are people who are going to support him no matter what, as long as the economy stays good. It's a cult of personality at this point.

If Trump keeps doing good things his support will go up. He could potentially be up to 40-45% within a month or two if he behaves himself and he passes the dream act. That will give him a ton of positive press on every mainstream media channel and newspaper. He will gain back some of the middle of the road voters that voted for him but then he lost.

Teggy

what mental gymnastics does a hardcore Trump supporter say for supporting this?

I can't fathom.

Well, the post I saw on t_d was, "The art of the deal - I trust trump." They don't care about the agenda, just the guy.

Of course this is in sharp contrast with someone like Hannity, who is saying tonight that he supports the agenda, not the guy, and he believes making a deal on DACA is political suicide. He still blames McConnel for it, though.

wutwutwut

If Trump keeps doing good things his support will go up. He could potentially be up to 40-45% within a month or two if he behaves himself and he passes the dream act. That will give him a ton of positive press on every mainstream media channel and newspaper. He will gain back some of the middle of the road voters that voted for him but then he lost.
And if he gets universal healthcare and real, serious immigration reform passed he's guaranteed a second term.

lol

Emarv

what mental gymnastics does a hardcore Trump supporter say for supporting this?

I can't fathom.
Hardcore Trumper on my FB shared the DACA deal and responded with "And people will still call him 'racist'". That was it. I think he's since deleted it, maybe after he's seen his conservative sites backlash, but his initial instinct was blind defense.

Slacker

Yeah I think that floor of Trump support (34%ish) are people who are going to support him no matter what, as long as the economy stays good. It's a cult of personality at this point.

I don't know... Trump being nice to non-white people may be a bridge too far for some of his fans.

Despite thinking about it for a few hours now, I cannot think of any (rational) concern that Democrats are being duped and Trump is playing them for chumps. I just can't. The best I can come up with is "defuse the Latino vote in next election" but even that's offset by "pissed off racists staying home."

I welcome this strange new Trump that allows Democrats to control congress while in the minority. And to think, all they had to do was be nice to him and say nice things about him on the internet, lol. His ego being stroked for being a good big boy president because he got sick of Republicans and went to talk with Democrats sounds right. And with all things Trump, the dumbest explanation is always the correct one, so yeah. Trump's brain: "If I get all 48 Democrat votes I just need 2 Republicans!"

This is why he was saying to nuke the rules and make a simple majority pass legislation.
Now there's a twist! Probably thinks Pence would vote with Ds in a tiebreak too, lol. That's when the impeachment hearings start.

But really, there's zero reason why he couldn't get all 48 Democrats on a 100% "clean" DACA bill beyond maybe a few 2020 candidates trying to be bold at their own peril. I'm 99% confident that at minimum Collins, McCain and Rubio would go for it, too, so we've already got a theoretical 51.

Despite thinking about it for a few hours now, I cannot think of any (rational) concern that Democrats are being duped and Trump is playing them for chumps. I just can't. The best I can come up with is "defuse the Latino vote in next election" but even that's offset by "pissed off racists staying home."

I welcome this strange new Trump that allows Democrats to control congress while in the minority. And to think, all they had to do was be nice to him and say nice things about him on the internet, lol. His ego being stroked for being a good big boy president because he got sick of Republicans and went to talk with Democrats sounds right. And with all things Trump, the dumbest explanation is always the correct one, so yeah. Trump's brain: "If I get all 48 Democrat votes I just need 2 Republicans!"
Just wait until he gets "incredible" press coverage for the deal he just made. He'll be back on the horn with Chuck and Nancy to get them on renegotiating NAFTA next!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the post I saw on t_d was, "The art of the deal - I trust trump." They don't care about the agenda, just the guy.

Of course this is in sharp contrast with someone like Hannity, who is saying tonight that he supports the agenda, not the guy, and he believes making a deal on DACA is political suicide. He still blames McConnel for it, though.

Yeah, Trump's worry is the right wing media turning on him. Hannity could just 180 and focus on everything good about the compromise, instead of everything bad like when Obama was president, and none of his viewers will believe anyone else telling them it's the same thing they hated a month ago.

Those people decide reality with their guts, not their brains, and I don't know if their guts will trust trump or people like hannity more.

Trouble

Banned
Now there's a twist! Probably thinks Pence would vote with Ds in a tiebreak too, lol. That's when the impeachment hearings start.

But really, there's zero reason why he couldn't get all 48 Democrats on a 100% "clean" DACA bill beyond maybe a few 2020 candidates trying to be bold at their own peril. I'm 99% confident that at minimum Collins, McCain and Rubio would go for it, too, so we've already got a theoretical 51.

None of that calculation means anything because he needs Ryan and McConnell to bring any bills up for a vote. They aren't going to do that for anything that has next to no support in their caucus except for absolutely critical votes like the debt ceiling and avoiding a shutdown.

That said a reimplementation of DACA that doesn't include full amnesty would probably actually get a majority of Republicans to vote for it.

Pixieking

Banned
None of that calculation means anything because he needs Ryan and McConnell to bring any bills up for a vote. They aren't going to do that for anything that has next to no support in their caucus except for absolutely critical votes like the debt ceiling and avoiding a shutdown.

Ryan and McConnell flagrantly ignore the will of the President - and risk not just Trump's wrath but his base's anger - and then... What? I mean, I actually don't know what happens then. It fractures the party from the President, pushes Trump towards the Dems even more? There's no way Ryan and McConnell can finesse their way into ignoring Trump's policy pronouncements to his face, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom