• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
None of that calculation means anything because he needs Ryan and McConnell to bring any bills up for a vote. They aren't going to do that for anything that has next to no support in their caucus except for absolutely critical votes like the debt ceiling and avoiding a shutdown.

That said a reimplementation of DACA that doesn't include full amnesty would probably actually get a majority of Republicans to vote for it.

They might be able to use a discharge petition in the House. I'm not sure if there's a similar procedure in the Senate.

Trouble

Banned
Ryan and McConnell flagrantly ignore the will of the President - and risk not just Trump's wrath but his base's anger - and then... What? I mean, I actually don't know what happens then. It fractures the party from the President, pushes Trump towards the Dems even more? There's no way Ryan and McConnell can finesse their way into ignoring Trump's policy pronouncements to his face, right?

Trump's base already hates them. But yeah it puts them in a real weird spot. McConnell already ignored Trump's public call to end the filibuster, but that would be another level.

I'll have my popcorn ready.

They might be able to use a discharge petition in the House. I'm not sure if there's a similar procedure in the Senate.

If they can do some crazy parliamentary stuff (can they, though?) and bypass Ryan/McConnel and they do it with Trump's blessing... shit's gonna get real weird.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I honestly have no idea what's going on anymore.

The few crazy Trump worshipers that I know (ugh, in-laws) that have NEVER wavered in their support, are absolutely furious over this potential DACA deal.

DJrVmBtXoAEXjHl.jpg:large

DJrWvVLVAAA9wXM.jpg:large

DJrZBw4UMAEXKKr.jpg:large

DJrbUU0V4AAx4mh.jpg:large

The 3rd and 4th tweets are a beauty for his base...

We know exactly what's happening, a deal on DACA is or will be done and there will be no money for the wall, period. Trump is getting pushback from the far right, so he's gotta sell them on how great all the "border security" in the deal is going to be.

Pixieking

Banned
It's all win-win for Schumer and Pelosi (and the rest of the Dems). Either they get the DACA deal, or they show-up Trump for essentially reneging on a deal. The press is all "a deal is in the pipeline", and when it falls through, Trump's an artless businessman who hates minorities, and he gets further enraged by bad press.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't tell if it was smart or not. On one hand it puts tremendous pressure on him. On the other he is freaking out now because of conservative news.

tbm24

I can't tell if it was smart or not. On one hand it puts tremendous pressure on him. On the other he is freaking out now because of conservative news.
It was smart, just the last 4 tweets posted shows Trump backed himself in a corner. He cannot suddenly choose to not support DACA. He's just trying to have his cake and eat it too by trying to conflate border security funding with his border wall idea.

pigeon

Banned
I feel like if the people who played the Trump impeachment game with Spoiled Milk kind of got screwed. They couldn't have predicted Trump would start saying we should keep all the Dreamers and raise taxes on the rich.

Sibylus

Banned
I feel like if the people who played the Trump impeachment game with Spoiled Milk kind of got screwed. They couldn't have predicted Trump would start saying we should keep all the Dreamers and raise taxes on the rich.

Anyone predicting anything when it comes to Trump is a sucker.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There's a very real he chance he completely changes his mind later today. Conservative media is destroying him right now.

Fox318

There's a very real he chance he completely changes his mind later today. Conservative media is destroying him right now.
If all he wants is positive media coverage he would get more of it if he didn't take his policy advice from the Fox Morning show.

Barzul

Zero chance imo. He doesn't want validation from Breitbart or Daily Caller. He wants it from NYT, WaPo and WSJ. Hell if Trump passed a Dream Act even without path to citizenship I'd applaud him.

Trump moving the goal posts on the wall is the most telling thing. Looks like he's given up on actually building anything and will try to paint upgrading the fence as a victory.

dramatis

This news is probably going to be overlooked today in the hubbub of "WHAT HAPPENED" at last night's dinner, but apparently LA got the 2028 Olympics.

Barzul

Like hearing Trump just now. He really wants the Dreamers protected. This is going to happen. He's put a gun to Ryan and McConnell's heads. Are they going to move away from Trump now? LOL

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Damn Trump on CNN said Ryan and McConell agree on DACA. He's full up touting DACA. He's going to sign it.

I'll take it. It may not be a bad thing that he is desperate for approval.

Will Congress vote for it though? That killed it before.

It died last time because the black president wanted it. There was no other reason.

I'll take it. It may not be a bad thing that he is desperate for approval.

Did working with Dems last week help at all? I don't think it did?

Passing the Dream Act might actually lower his approval if this is really the line in the sand for the Trumpers

So it looks like Trump has decided to become a Democrat for the month of September.

The Democratic leadership better try to fleece him as quickly as possible before Trump becomes a Green party member in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom