• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Imagine if they started the process in January, complete with hearings and everything. At the very least, they'd have McCain's vote, making this way easier. Greed, hubris, stupidity.

I don't know if it's that stupid, politically speaking at least. What's the harder lift: corralling 50 Republican votes in a matter of days to pass through whatever healthcare bill happens to be on deck? Or dragging out months and months of public scrutiny and media coverage about the tens of millions of people who are going to lose health coverage because of that plan? Clearly the former was too hard (but just barely) but I can't imagine the latter would be any easier.

Lol, that's not how swings work. If we get 8% in 2018, which is +9% better than 2016, we're not gonna get +9% in every district, because some districts esp in places like Washington DC, NYC, etc. are already pretty much maxed out for democrats.The biggest swings will be in districts that were more republican (but still competitive) on average.

Also, our candidates should generally be higher quality than in 2016 because a lot more people are running, good candidates see they actually have a chance of winning so they're incentive to run, etc.

Also I can't wait to see people poop their pants when Northam only wins by a few % pts and say 2018 is doomed. That's like saying because we lose the safe blue gubernatorial state of Massachutes in 2018, dems are never gonna win again. The reality is gubernatorial races tend to be fairly different from the national environment, although still related.

The point is you have to win a lot of seats that were not even within single digits in 2016. And don't mess up and lose a seat that was within single digits, and don't lose one of your own seats, because then the wall just got higher with yet more double digit seats now needed. With maps heavily favoring Republicans as a result of the 2010 wave.

I don't expect much of 2018 and I'll not be convinced otherwise, certainly not a year out. But regardless of what happens next year, Democrats need a 2020 wave at the state level so they can redraw the maps to something where districts are actually competitive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the news is going crazy on pr coverage now and they seem to be framing it somewhat positively.

wutwutwut

There are cost-effective ways to get both the efficiency of electronic voting and the reliability of paper voting.

The voting machine prints a ballot which the voter verifies, folds up and stuffs in a box.

Results are computed from electronic ballots, but a small percentage of paper ballot boxes are randomly selected, counted and cross-checked with electronic totals. If there are discrepancies then you'd do more cross-checking.

As long as the mechanism to randomly pick the boxes is safe (this is what lotteries do, so it's a solved problem) the chance that a hack will go undetected is very small.

You do this in every thread for everything.

You have a theory, for example, "if young people don't vote, we can't win." From this theory, you find the data that backs this up, IE, the last two midterms we've lost, young people didn't vote, and then extend it out to fulfill your hypothesis, "not only are we not going to regain power, we're actually going to lose more power." Because young people don't vote. Not based on anything else, just this one bullet point you happen to have the bar charts for.

But this ignores 2006, coincidentally never mentioned by you (where young people also didn't vote), and that the trend has always been that the opposition to the president does better in midterms for various reasons that aren't "young people don't vote in midterms." Young people never vote. They never have. And yet liberals have found a way to win many, many, many times over the course of our history.

The same thing with healthcare
"The GOP unanimously supporters repealing the ACA!" and find a poll showing "generic repeal" is supported by 60%. While no actual repeal has ever polled over 50% for the GOP. But that's just ignored because everything is terrible and it's always terrible and just roll over and die right now I guess, might as well, right? See, the GOP supports the repeal!

You find this to be rational, I just find it as cherry picking data to support ridiculous pessimism.

Yeah, I guess we could ask to use the 2000 maps and hope for Trump to have two unpopular wars and a Katrina on his hands by this time next year, because that would be awesome for everyone.

Listen, I'm pessimistic about 2018. Democrats are at an inherent disadvantage in midterms, them's just the breaks. Yes, they overcame it in 2006, maybe they can do it again. I don't expect it.

And regardless of how popular any given ACA repeal bill is, Republicans still want it repealed, so Republican lawmakers are still going to try to do it again and again and again. With any luck, they'll continue to fail through 2018, and then we'll see what happens in 2019. Your optimism better prove to be true, because if Republicans hold their ground and gain a seat or three in the Senate, repeal in 2019 is going to be a cakewalk.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yeah, that's why I think it's more difficult.

I have to imagine that they are thinking 2019 and maybe trying to use ACA one last time in midterm elections. Honestly, if they didn't have a plan to repeal it from the get go, they should have waited till 2019 and sabotaged ACA in other ways to get people to turn against it, and then repeal it.

Imagine if they started the process in January, complete with hearings and everything. At the very least, they'd have McCain's vote, making this way easier. Greed, hubris, stupidity.

With McCain's vote this is basically a done deal. Paul's not gonna be the Senator who saved ACA.

Teggy

Wonder where this came from all of a sudden

NBC News @NBCNews
BREAKING: King of Saudi Arabia issues decree allowing women to drive. They will be allowed to start driving in 10 months.
3:21 PM · Sep 26, 2017

Kusagari

I don't really care what Graham says. I highly doubt the Republicans are ever going to do "regular order" on a health care bill.

As long as McCain is in the Senate, that probably means we're good. The problem is when the inevitable happens.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't know if it's that stupid, politically speaking at least. What's the harder lift: corralling 50 Republican votes in a matter of days to pass through whatever healthcare bill happens to be on deck? Or dragging out months and months of public scrutiny and media coverage about the tens of millions of people who are going to lose health coverage because of that plan? Clearly the former was too hard (but just barely) but I can't imagine the latter would be any easier.

I would argue that spreading it out over a long period of time may be more effective in one sense: I think people get tired easily. The backlash would be strong at the beginning, but I wonder how much of that would tail off if they delayed votes and kept stringing it along.

With McCain's vote this is basically a done deal. Paul's not gonna be the Senator who saved ACA.

The system isn't going to work for this bill. If it was, they would have already tried using it. Once it hits committees, gets multiple CBO reports, input from various industries, stuff like that, it won't make it out alive.

Time has never been the repeal's friend, and adding more of it to the process just makes it much harder.

kirblar

61-35 Trump.
This calls for a
41cOLL19erL.jpg

Looks like several people were lining up to run against the "RINO."

Though this at least takes away an incumbency advantage for the Republicans in a race. It's just a shame that race is in Tennessee.

Even is deep red states where re-election is all but guaranteed, some Republicans simply won't want to deal with Trumps bullshit and will choose to walk away

Still think I prefer newish GOP blood here, worst case. Less experience and discipline is a net win.

No way. If the trend continues you'll one day end up with all new fresh blood and no old guard to follow the parliamentary rules and no one to care to dig them out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
“When I ran for the Senate in 2006, I told people that I couldn’t imagine serving for more than two terms. Understandably, as we have gained influence, that decision has become more difficult. But I have always been drawn to the citizen legislator model, and while I realize it is not for everyone, I believe with the kind of service I provide, it is the right one for me.
Umm, what? Does he have some other day job I'm unfamiliar with?

Phil Bredesen, that's your cue.

Was just wondering today what Corker would do.

Wonder what's more winnable, open seat Tennessee or Cruz-held Texas.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Does this sound weird to anyone else, or am I reading too much Trump into it?

Corker said:
I also believe the most important public service I have to offer our country could well occur over the next 15 months, and I want to be able to do that as thoughtfully and independently as I did the first 10 years and nine months of my Senate career.

Tennessee was the only big Senate target Dems missed in 2006. But yes, you contest it for sure (i.e., recruit a real candidate and give DSCC support). We should be investing everywhere, especially in open seat races.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The system isn't going to work for this bill. If it was, they would have already tried using it. Once it hits committees, gets multiple CBO reports, input from various industries, stuff like that, it won't make it out alive.

Time has never been the repeal's friend, and adding more of it to the process just makes it much harder.
Not to mention that a straight up repeal like this without careful replacement provisions will look even more terrible.

Welp, that quote is loaded. I can't imagine that being said without him knowing stuff that we don't. The real question is as head of the Foreign Relations Committee what exactly he means. Impeachment? Even more Sanctions?

Umm, what? Does he have some other day job I'm unfamiliar with?
I think his general point is that if you're a McCain or a Bernie, you've spent so long working in federal government that it changes how you think. There's no (relative) shame in wanting to tap out.

That being said, the fact that a "moderate"could be replaced by yet another madman from the Teaparty is scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom