• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

Put a guy up who does nothing but talk about healthcare, the economy, and Jesus and you've got a chance in TN, even now.

Zukkoyaki

Probably not a seat to count on at all but definitely one worth going hard after.

A strong candidate + A good campaign + Anti-GOP sentiment midterm could yield some interesting results.

Ecotic

That's kind of unfortunate about Corker since his seat is a stretch for any Democrat to win and Corker was as sensible as they get for Republicans, it'll be a huge downgrade if Marsha Blackburn gets it. I really want to know his reasons for quitting.

That's kind of unfortunate about Corker since his seat is a stretch for any Democrat to win and Corker was as sensible as they get for Republicans, it'll be a huge downgrade if Marsha Blackburn gets it. I really want to know his reasons for quitting.
Did he vote against any portion of trumps agenda?

Hatch to Romney would be a nice upgrade.

Come on, retire already!
Romney, as much as I dislike some of his positions, could take Utah and then hopefully take McConnell's leadership position and drag the Rs into the 21st Century.

I mean, Romneycare was basically the ProtoACA in some regards, and I'd imagine he'd be more willing to negotiate.

Plus, him calling Russia out 5 years ago gets him major points in my book.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think I would prefer Corker to whatever Tea Party/Trumpian lunatic is going to get the nomination.

I think I agree with this, and that quote from Corker about the next 15 months is bizarre. Does he have a spot already reserved in the administration? Is he talking about something more?

Did he vote against any portion of trumps agenda?

What part of Trump's agenda has passed, in general? The (little) senate's work over the last few months has largely been the product of the senate, and as such has been conservative/republican type shit. Why wouldn't he vote for it.

Complaints about republicans voting for "Trump's agenda" never made sense to me. He's a republican (at least on paper), they're republicans...they're going to pass republican stuff.

I'd rather have Corker there during any type of investigation of Trump than Blackburn though, that's for sure.

Kusagari

Corker is at least sane and willing to work with people.

Seems like more and more people like him are getting replaced with Blackburn's, which is terrible for our democracy.

about corker

"”I also believe the most important public service I have to offer our country could well occur over the next 15 months, and I want to be able to do that as thoughtfully and independently as I did the first 10 years and nine months of my Senate career.""

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/26/sen-bob-corker-not-seek-re-election-next-year/678088001/

that quote... certainly sounds like he has to vote on something in the next 15 months and not worry about getting re-elected. something that would probably kill his ability to get re-elected.

is that a whif of impeachment?

about corker

"”I also believe the most important public service I have to offer our country could well occur over the next 15 months, and I want to be able to do that as thoughtfully and independently as I did the first 10 years and nine months of my Senate career.""

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/26/sen-bob-corker-not-seek-re-election-next-year/678088001/

giphy.gif

Note the use of "INDEPENDENTLY"

AndyD

aka andydumi
about corker

that quote... certainly sounds like he has to vote on something in the next 15 months and not worry about getting re-elected. something that would probably kill his ability to get re-elected.

is that a whif of impeachment?

He's on foreign relations committee so he might have some knowledge the rest of us don't.

North Korea or after today something in Iraq/Kurdistan. Or simply Russia investigation leading to larger revelations.

What part of Trump's agenda has passed, in general? The (little) senate's work over the last few months has largely been the product of the senate, and as such has been conservative/republican type shit. Why wouldn't he vote for it.

Complaints about republicans voting for "Trump's agenda" never made sense to me. He's a republican (at least on paper), they're republicans...they're going to pass republican stuff.

I'd rather have Corker there during any type of investigation of Trump than Blackburn though, that's for sure.

Rubber-stamping cabinet picks? Anyone who could have been the killing vote against devos and chose not to can't really be called reasonable.

Killing the last vote on screwing health care before it came down to McCain's WWE entrance?

I guess haven't watched him during any committee meetings to see where his sliminess is on a scale of one to gowdy, but there's a level of contempt for the average person involved in baseline Republican policy that my response to the assertion that he's not extreme was "what did I miss?" If those remarks are impeachment hints I'll be thrilled to be wrong.

Blader

I think I agree with this, and that quote from Corker about the next 15 months is bizarre. Does he have a spot already reserved in the administration? Is he talking about something more?

Doubtful, since he was turned down for Secretary of State almost immediately and flat out called Trump incompetent over the summer. :lol

He's on foreign relations committee so he might have some knowledge the rest of us don't.

North Korea or after today something in Iraq/Kurdistan. Or simply Russia investigation leading to larger revelations.

Would he be voting on anything related to NK or Iraq/Kurdistan that would warrant him believing it to be the most important public service he'd ever perform independently?

Although, knowing Republicans, this could very well be it.

CNN reporting the IRS refused to participate in Mueller’s raid on Manafort’s home...

Because it might have interfered with an existing IRS investigation into Manafort.

LOL

Rubber-stamping cabinet picks? Anyone who could have been the killing vote against devos and chose not to can't really be called reasonable.

Killing the last vote on screwing health care before it came down to McCain's WWE entrance?

I guess haven't watched him during any committee meetings to see where his sliminess is on a scale of one to gowdy, but there's a level of contempt for the average person involved in baseline Republican policy that my response to the assertion that he's not extreme was "what did I miss?" If those remarks are impeachment hints I'll be thrilled to be wrong.

Why would a republican vote against a republican president's cabinet picks? I'm baffled why people are still bringing this up. In terms of the healthcare vote...he voted countless times to repeal Obamacare, before January 2017. Why wouldn't he support repeal now?

I'm not going to slam a republican for voting like a republican. That doesn't make Corker a Trump slappie. He's not.

tbm24

Welp, that quote is loaded. I can't imagine that being said without him knowing stuff that we don't. The real question is as head of the Foreign Relations Committee what exactly he means. Impeachment? Even more Sanctions?

I think his general point is that if you're a McCain or a Bernie, you've spent so long working in federal government that it changes how you think. There's no (relative) shame in wanting to tap out.

That being said, the fact that a "moderate"could be replaced by yet another madman from the Teaparty is scary
Well, I can take comfort in knowing they can’t govern at all. It’s not a Corker who would prevent dumb shit from passing through this current senate. Can’t say I’m concerned about it. Would be nice to see a proper fight for the seat however.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
https://mobile.twitter.com/ryangrim/status/912776406731575296

Everybody's favorite non-senator Rick Santorum thinks Murkowski will support a new Graham-Cassidy in 2018.

Even pessimistic me would lean against that one.

Or they could actually let Alexander, Murray, et al., try to come up with something bipartisan.

Here's my main concern: GOP doesn't want this to happen because they don't want to ever give the ACA credit for doing anything right. A bipartisan group almost assuredly repairs the ACA's issues. GOP desperately wants this to fail, which is why they'll keep pulling the rug out from under these bipartisan efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom