• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
All of them.

yc7rH45.jpg

This will never get old.

So I know it's very doom and gloom, and I mean rightfully so because FUCKING HELL, but let me tell you what I'm seeing with wins like in Florida today.

The GOP is at war with itself and Donald Trump is ripping his own party apart while simultaneously invigorating the Left. What happens in 2018 when Trump starts picking sides in all the races and his choice doesn't win or vice Versace? Potentially, the losing side stays home.

Granted, in the past, there would be reason for Democrats to do the same but with Trump's tiny fingers hitting the send button on whatever shit like he wants to shoot out on Twitter aggravate everyone once again, it makes Democrats more willing to hit the polls. Just my two cents.

40 years is kind of a long time. Not a lot to cherry pick there.

But alright. 94 to 06 was also a long enough time. Republican majority grew in Bush's first midterm, and the Republican majority shrank in 98 despite being Bill Clinton's second midterm. There's reasons for both, sure, but you can't just assume Presidential party is going to do worse, and you can't assume popularity now means anything next year. You have to actually get people to switch sides at the ballot box.

So, I mean, be optimistic, whatever. But, uh, it's probably not going to work out all too well.

Edit: And, yes, I would love for you all to be able to shove these posts in my face next November. More than anything, let that happen.

As long as we're cherrypicking examples of midterms that buck the trend, you might as well throw in 1934. Of course there's no reason the 2018 circumstances will be like 1934, but then again there's no reason why they'll be like 1998 or 2002 either, and a lot of good reasons to think they'll be like 2006 or 2010.

Moore winning makes an easier case for a dem win next year though if democrats dump money into the state. Plus it gets Trump pissed at McConnell more.

Yes. They're both hardcore conservatives. It's basically "awful and awfuller", essentially.
Sure, but Moore is an insane, showboating, no-compromise true believer who can't be reasoned with. He could make it even harder for Mitch to get anything done -- assuming they ever get to the point of passing bills.

Awfuller might give us a better chance at a surprise snipe, though.

True, and Trump did of course endorse Strange. I'm sure if Moore wins, Trump may be a bit pissed off inside.

Sure, but Moore is an insane, showboating, no-compromise true believer who can't be reasoned with. He could make it even harder for Mitch to get anything done -- assuming they ever get to the point of passing bills.

I have no doubt Moore will act like a rebel. I'm worried he may just do "party over country", though given how pathetic the GOP has proven themselves, that might not mean much anyway.

It always amazes me that even in these GOP Primaries, you see cities vs rural; very similar to blue vs red. And those are of course the counties that are helped the most by welfare...broken record....

Crocodile

True, and Trump did of course endorse Strange. I'm sure if Moore wins, Trump may be a bit pissed off inside.

I have no doubt Moore will act like a rebel. I'm worried he may just do "party over country", though given how pathetic the GOP has proven themselves, that might not mean much anyway.

Eh Trump won't care. Moore is more in Trump's mold than Strange anyway.

kirblar

It always amazes me that even in these GOP Primaries, you see cities vs rural; very similar to blue vs red. And those are of course the counties that are helped the most by welfare...broken record....
You saw this on the D side in the VA-GOV primary as well, Northam was dominating urban/suburban areas, Pierello was only winning rural areas.

The divide is there within both parties, but the dominant faction is different in each.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Eh Trump won't care. Moore is more in Trump's mold than Strange anyway.

No way. Moore is a social conservative who would reject everything Trump has actually done in his life. The only thing they have in common is racism, which all Republicans have in common.

No way. Moore is a social conservative who would reject everything Trump has actually done in his life. The only thing they have in common is racism, which all Republicans have in common.

Yeah I agree, he is closer to Cruz then Trump. Actually will be way worse then Cruz as a Senator to be honest.

Alabama just wants to embarrass themselves.

A charismatic politician finds that his endorsements actually mean absolutely nothing with his party base?

I'm shocked.
Just another piece of evidence in the long list that Trump's personal appeal doesn't translate to downticket wins for the GOP.

Think of all the Bernie supporters who were like "of course he endorsed Hillary, they made him" and then voted third party. That's the mentality at play here.

kirblar

Just another piece of evidence in the long list that Trump's personal appeal doesn't translate to downticket wins for the GOP.

Think of all the Bernie supporters who were like "of course he endorsed Hillary, they made him" and then voted third party. That's the mentality at play here.
Also Obama->Hillary. Bill->Gore. Charisma does not transfer.

You saw this on the D side in the VA-GOV primary as well, Northam was dominating urban/suburban areas, Pierello was only winning rural areas.

The divide is there within both parties, but the dominant faction is different in each.

Those yokels.

Those yokels.

Jokes aside, are politics really aren't blue vs red though, its rural vs urban.

If the Democrats can figure out a strategy not to win rural, but shift 5 to 10 points away in the end, they'll clean house. Due to the GOPs base, they themselves have no hope of getting big urban wins anytime soon.

EDIT: Roy Moore is off to a pretty large lead this early on for a primary; don't see him losing here. Question is now is it a landslide...

Teggy

I forgot that this was the election that Voldemort wouldn’t postpone 2 weeks so AA areas could have power restored - and the seat still flipped.

Also, this is why PR won’t be trumps Katrina

Only 54% of Americans know Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Among those who don't know, support for disaster aid drops by half:

Also, going to be interesting to see the country get to know Moore better, such as how he gave custody of a child to an abusive father instead of a lesbian mother.

Zolo

I think Moore winning is for the best. Both would have voted for 99% of the same shit anyway. At least him winning can hopefully cause more divide between Trump and general Republicans as well as maybe Republicans in congress.

Taddeo's win official:
Jose Felix Diaz (REP) Percent of total votes 47.21% 20,985
Annette Taddeo (DEM) Percent of total votes 50.95% 22,649
Christian 'He-Man' Schlaerth (NPA) Percent of total votes 1.84% 820

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom