• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTC

I think Moore winning is for the best. Both would have voted for 99% of the same shit anyway. At least him winning can hopefully cause more divide between Trump and general Republicans as well as maybe Republicans in congress.

That's exactly how I see it as well. Strange would never even consider acting in a bipartisan manner. At least Moore causes a ruckus.

NeoXChaos

Yes, we know, the world is terrible and all hope is lost

Meanwhile the rest of us can look and see a potential surprise win because Moore is just that awful.

not for Alabama he isn't. He ticks off all the social dog whistle bells for such a state. He's no Vitter who had social baggage to the yonder.

Yes, we know, the world is terrible and all hope is lost

Meanwhile the rest of us can look and see a potential surprise win because Moore is just that awful.

Oh definitely a higher chance for Dems to pull one out, but honestly it is still low. You really can't have just "no shows" but also need some GOP to vote Dem to take over Alabama in a general election.

not for Alabama he isn't. He ticks off all the social dog whistle bells for such a state. He's no Vitter who had social baggage to the yonder.

I don't expect a Democrat win, but I don't think it's impossible. Midterms and off year elections can get weird and unexpected.

Oh definitely a higher chance for Dems to pull one out, but honestly it is still low. You really can't have just "no shows" but also need some GOP to vote Dem to take over Alabama in a general election.

Maybe Trump will throw a temper tantrum against Moore and Trump fans will just stay home. That's probably the best chance Democrats have.

Wait, who? What?

MgA7_ercRqKkZyEsdCNJzQ.png

edit: beaten

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there a Democratic equivalent of Roy Moore? Like I really can't think of one. There is no example of a democratic politician anywhere NEAR as embarrassing as Roy Moore.

People in the media falling for Trump's dumbass shit to keep Russia, emails, IRS, and Tom Price stuff out of the news. They really need to stop falling for it. NFL is not the big story out.

Zolo

People in the media falling for Trump's dumbass shit to keep Russia, emails, IRS, and Tom Price stuff out of the news. They really need to stop falling for it. NFL is not the big story out.

Not that it isn't important for that stuff to be known, but we'll get swamped with news once indictments happen, and especially once Mueller presses any charges against Trump.

Is there a Democratic equivalent of Roy Moore? Like I really can't think of one. There is no example of a democratic politician anywhere NEAR as embarrassing as Roy Moore.
Cynthia McKinnney used to say some crazy shit, but she wasn't outright evil like that hateful theocrat. There really isn't anyone.

Not that it isn't important for that stuff to be known, but we'll get swamped with news once indictments happen, and especially once Mueller presses any charges against Trump.

Yeah, but it's better to keep it in the news so when Trump sits down at night and watches the news it makes him more likely to snap and say something stupid on twitter to incriminate himself further :p Also, the Tom Price thing is disgusting and he should be removed from his position. Mnuchin as well.

Crocodile

Is Moore easier to beat in the General? Strange had the stink of corruption on him (see how he was appointed) while Moore seems like he can better excite people? It's not clear to me he's easier to beat in Alabama than Strange in the general for Jones.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think Moore winning is for the best. Both would have voted for 99% of the same shit anyway. At least him winning can hopefully cause more divide between Trump and general Republicans as well as maybe Republicans in congress.

I think that's fair. Never hope for full crazy to win primaries for Governorships or Presidency, but full crazy is probably fine in legislature.

Though I am a little worried about enough of them electing a crazy speaker of the house or senate majority leader, and through that showing us how much damage obstructionism can really do to the country if you go all the way with it. We still don't know what would have happened if Paul Ryan didn't sacrifice himself to save the party from the full crazies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is Moore easier to beat in the General? Strange had the stink of corruption on him (see how he was appointed) while Moore seems like he can better excite people? It's not clear to me he's easier to beat in Alabama than Strange in the general for Jones.

Moore's been caught breaking the law a few times now. So even odds on some kind of scandal coming out showing he's done something wrong.

Zolo

I think that's fair. Never hope for full crazy to win primaries for Governorships or Presidency, but full crazy is probably fine in legislature.

Though I am a little worried about enough of them electing a crazy speaker of the house or senate majority leader, and through that showing us how much damage obstructionism can really do to the country if you go all the way with it. We still don't know what would have happened if Paul Ryan didn't sacrifice himself to save the party from the full crazies.

Yeah. I'd be more concerned if it was state governor or attorney general or something along those lines. I do agree with your latter point though on these people getting into a speaker role or somewhere else really important.

Dems finally winning tip of the ice burg, or statistical blip?
Not "finally" winning, this has been a streak for the last four months or so.

We're up to 3 New Hampshire House seats, 2 Oklahoma House seats, an Oklahoma Senate seat, New York Assembly seat, and Florida Senate seat flipped from the GOP.

Democrats have been killing it in special elections and barely anyone's noticed.

Not "finally" winning, this has been a streak for the last four months or so.

We're up to 3 New Hampshire House seats, 2 Oklahoma House seats, an Oklahoma Senate seat, New York Assembly seat, and Florida Senate seat flipped from the GOP.

Democrats have been killing it in special elections and barely anyone's noticed.

what the hell happened to the New Hampshire house to free up this many seats?

edit: 400 reps for a state that small? suddenly i'm realizing i know nothing about state legislatures.

Matthew Isbell
@mcimaps
FL SD40 map. Diaz dominated in northern district (which is heavily Cuban) while Taddeo won everywhere else #flapol #sayfie

DKsezeGU8AAmapj.jpg

that feel when the Democratic path to victory was losing PoC to get the white vote

yes I read the part about crushing the black vote and non-Cuban Hispanic vote it was a joke

Ogodei

Kucinich if he was still around. Conspiracist nut while vehemently supporting his position.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

As if the news was good at covering important stuff before Trump. They'd find high drama low impact stuff even without trump handing to them.

At least there is something extremely important at the very core of the whole thing, racially charged police violence, but they've turned it into a pointless free speech and sports in politics debate defined by personalities instead of policy.

Valhelm

contribute something
that feel when the Democratic path to victory was losing PoC to get the white vote

yes I read the part about crushing the black vote and non-Cuban Hispanic vote it was a joke

Politically it makes a more sense to think of Cuban Americans in South Florida as "ethnic whites" rather than part of a broader Hispanic community. In terms of socioeconomics and political bargaining power they're not very dissimilar to Italians in New York or Philadelphia. This puts their political habits into a context we see across East Coast cities.

I don't think there's really any marginalization of Cubans in Miami (although there is substantial colorism and racism within the Cuban community), and Cuban people are substantially less likely to suffer from the workplace discrimination, immigration problems, police profiling, and language barriers endured by other Hispanic populations.

Teggy

Congratulations to Roy Moore on his Republican Primary win in Alabama. Luther Strange started way back & ran a good race. Roy, WIN in Nov!

Yes, Alabama, please do come out in November lol

Politically it makes a more sense to think of Cuban Americans in South Florida as "ethnic whites" rather than part of a broader Hispanic community. In terms of socioeconomics and political bargaining power they're not very dissimilar to Italians in New York or Philadelphia. This puts their political habits into a context we see across East Coast cities.

I don't think there's really any marginalization of Cubans in Miami (although there is substantial colorism and racism within the Cuban community), and Cuban people are substantially less likely to suffer from the workplace discrimination, immigration problems, police profiling, and language barriers endured by other Hispanic populations.
it was a joke, I was just amused that Democrats won an election winning the white vote while losing the vote of a minority group, I know Cubans are super Republican

jtb

Banned
If any publication resembles the Politico of old to an unsettling degree, it's the New York Times. All those Politico alum, and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom