• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They have a lot of tapes, there are legal reasons BTS (behind the scenes) videos aren't officially released. Parts of a couple videos were supposed to be released unofficially in October but it never happened. The Billy Bush video had already come out and I assume the assumption was "why risk confrontation with NBC over another tape when the Billy Bush tape has buried Trump's campaign."

Ultimately there's a lot of recorded material outside of the NBC stuff though, including of Trump's father saying blatantly racist things. But at this point...does it matter? If Trump could brag on tape about sexually assaulting women and still win, I'm not sure any recording (from the past) is going to magically end his presidency.

Not what I leaning toward in the least. I was interested in the whole Tom Arnold situation and the backlash he got from the public when he said he couldn't release them.

So all Republicans have to do is retain 50 seats and the presidency and they are golden.

Fuck.

Pretty much. Democrats have to maintain 3 GOP Senate "allies" until such time that the dynamics change. If GOP gains Senate seats in 2018, then odds are Republicans can do whatever they want with healthcare or taxes. If McCain steps aside and gets replaced by someone more interested in political outcomes than process, same thing.

It's imperative for ACA that Democrats take back a chamber next year, assuming the GOP can't force something through before then.

Grexeno

We need to come to grips with a new reality where you only need 50 votes in the Senate for anything. The filibuster is dead when the Dems regain control anyway.

teiresias

We need to come to grips with a new reality where you only need 50 votes in the Senate for anything. The filibuster is dead when the Dems regain control anyway.

Is there any reason to kill the filibuster in the Senate and take that optics hit (yeah, I know I know, bear with me) without at least having another branch of government? Stuff is still dead in the house or vetoed by the President in that case so you're not buying yourself the ability to actually get laws enacted. Sure, you can maybe get something through the Senate and blame GOP in the House or the President, but you can blame the GOP with them filibustering too - the Dems just need to learn to actually do that if they're going to keep it.

Tamanon

Banned
Filibuster isn't dying for a bit. If only because the Senate doesn't actually want to pass some of the shit the House puts out.

So all Republicans have to do is retain 50 seats and the presidency and they are golden.

Fuck.

I mean, they’re golden right now and look where it’s getting them.

But yes, they can keep trying every year as long as they have a lock on everything, and if they retain both Houses in 2018 and the Presidency, that is sub-optimal.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Innuendo Studios' latest video has me remembering the 2016 debates and feeling really shitty and miserable again.

God I just basically avoid thinking about the actual election itself entirely on anything other than an analytic level

chadskin

The United States plans to formally withdraw from UNESCO, the U.N.’s Paris-based cultural, scientific and educational organization, to save money and protest what it views as the organization’s anti-Israel bias.

The move, which could be announced as early as next week, marks America’s further estrangement from an organization that it helped establish after World War II to widen access to education and ensure the free flow of ideas. The United States will maintain its presence at UNESCO as an observer state.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson made the decision several weeks ago, and told French President Emmanuel Macron Washington was considering leaving during a meeting with President Donald Trump in late September on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/10/11/u-s-to-pull-out-of-unesco-again/

DL4cJBCVQAAwpqR.jpg

Awarding? Motherfucking awarding?

My gut says domething really big is breaking in the next week with the way Trump is acting.

My gut says a bunch of stuff is always happening every day, is never not happening, and Trumps behavior is the same as it would be anyway because he’s a reactionary child who throws tantrums. I honestly don’t think he’s any worse when stuff happens behind the scenes because he probably doesn’t know what happens behind the scenes, he only reacts to things after the fact.

chadskin

Iran is not complying with the nuclear deal but actually they are.
President Donald Trump’s top advisers informed lawmakers Wednesday of the president’s final decision not to certify to Congress that Iran is complying with the landmark nuclear deal, three officials briefed on the decision tell NBC News.
The administration is also working to convince lawmakers that while it concedes Iran is in compliance with its obligations under the nuclear agreement, it is engaging in destabilizing activities across the region, from supporting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, to funding and arming Hezbollah fighters, and that it should be punished through crippling sanctions.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/mideas...ongress-iran-decertification-decision-n809911

Fucking moron.

My gut says domething really big is breaking in the next week with the way Trump is acting.
I feel like people have been saying this for the last week or so. The guy is just getting more and more unhinged as time moves on and I wouldn't say it is related to the news. If he is suffering from something like dementia it is really going down hill.

Something big is happening right now.

The Left is getting smacked down by the Hollywood scandals.

You already see the media narrative going around. It's the same playbook that was utilized by the alt-right when Amirox was caught, except on a far larger scale. ("Look, the left are the real scumbags here. We would never do anything like that, ever. WHY AREN'T THEY SPEAKING UP AND DOING SOMETHING")

Edit: With that said, I don't see this lasting to the midterms. Then again... I thought Emailgate and Benghazi would disappear too!

Kusagari

I don't think anything is breaking. I just think the reaction to Puerto Rico, combined with Corker going unhinged and the Tillerson moron story, has finally truly broken Trump. He's feeling more isolated and attacked than ever.

Something big is happening right now.

The Left is getting smacked down by the Hollywood scandals.

You already see the media narrative going around. It's the same playbook that was utilized by the alt-right when Amirox was caught, except on a far larger scale. ("Look, the left are the real scumbags here. We would never do anything like that, ever. WHY AREN'T THEY SPEAKING UP AND DOING SOMETHING")

Edit: With that said, I don't see this lasting to the midterms. Then again... I thought Emailgate and Benghazi would disappear too!
This is nothing and isn't even on CNN, Fox News or MSNBC's homepage. Why are you acting like this is a big deal that's actually doing any kind of damage?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BOOOM! Cambridge Analytica now being looked at by House, which means Mueller has already been all up in that.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russi...dge-analytica-trumps-psychographic-data-gurus

This is the glue for the whole thing, from Putin to Mercer to Bannon to Trump to Jared.

And incredible amounts of stored and trackable data - some of which is unshreddable.
Assuming Mueller is on this: good. This specific flavour of the news (Nunes and co looking into it) doesn't fill me with hope.

Man this Weinstein Democrat shit is reaching even higher levels of ridiculous.

Once again Republicans have much better messaging and propaganda outlets to spread this stuff ignoring the fact that over 12 women accused Donald Trump for sexual assault or rape and the media doesn't even bring that up.

saw this pop up.

AP:
Steve bannon has links to Weinstein

https://www.apnews.com/8633ead4811943268ad652d762dcd5e9/APNewsBreak:-Steve-Bannon-had-ties-to-Harvey-Weinstein

“We are extremely honored to be in business with the new Weinstein Company,” Bannon told investors in one such call, declaring that “the Weinsteins have the most impressive track record in the film industry” and that “Bob and Harvey are two of the most prolific studio heads in the history of Hollywood.”

lenovox1

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Of course he does. Steve Bannon was a Hollywood producer for over a decade before he created Breitbart. Yet and still, I highly doubt he knew Harvey Weinstein very deeply.

With as right-leaning as Bannon is, I doubt they'd make good drinking buddies.

See, I doubt that. Assholes tend to attract other assholes, regardless of ideology.

lenovox1

See, I doubt that. Assholes tend to attract other assholes, regardless of ideology.

Bannon is anti-Semitic. I don't see him hanging out with someone he'd see as a liberal Hollywood Jew for more than a business lunch. I don't think there's any angle to this story.

pigeon

Banned
Bannon is anti-Semitic. I don't see him hanging out with someone he'd see as a liberal Hollywood Jew for more than a business lunch. I don't think there's any angle to this story.

He hangs out with Jared Kushner! Bannon is anti-Semitic as an ideology, not, like, as a predilection. He's happy to talk to any number of Jews, black people and gays if it will help his crusade to see them all eradicated.

Why would any country sign a non-proliferation deal with the United States after this. Why would North Korea back down (when they already have nukes). For all the tough talk from republicans, it seems like most of the security members of the cabinet oppose this move. And rightfully so...

they'll sign them, just not expect them to be honored and cheat on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom