• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read that article, the more I'm convinced had the democrats ran someone other than Hillary they would have won. There was just way, way too much anti-Hillary sentiment out there, sadly.

I believe I said this at one point during the campaign. She's toxic.

In other news where I was right, amazing Democrats jumping on the Kucinich train of single-payer.

As Coolio says, "Some of us gotta run a little faster because we got to lay the struggle."

Glad to see the pipe dreamers taking charge.

The Disengaged voters probably can't be won with a more charismatic candidate because it would require them to pay attention to politics.

I suspect an equal number of voters on the Democratic side are just as disconnected from politics. Some just flipped heads and some flipped tails.
Yeah there are plenty of people who vote one way or the other for stupid reasons. You'd see a similar breakdown in Obama or Clinton voters.

I'm all for Biden running again but goddamn 78 years old?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a single thing Hillary has said that shows she learned anything about her loss? I feel like everything she says is pretty much the exact same thing she would say before the election, just with a little more frankness now that she's not campaigning.

kirblar

Yeah there are plenty of people who vote one way or the other for stupid reasons. You'd see a similar breakdown in Obama or Clinton voters.

Clinton/Biden/Sanders/Warren all need to not be anywhere near 2020.

To people complaining that Hillary wrote a book, remember that Trump was going to start a 24/7 television network exusively about how unfair it was that he lost.

To people complaining that Hillary wrote a book, remember that Trump was going to start a 24/7 television network exusively about how unfair it was that he lost.
It's weird that people expected her to just disappear after losing because no other presidential nominee has in recent years.

Gore won a Nobel prize for his efforts in raising awareness about climate change (like he made a movie about this), Kerry stuck around as a Senator and became Secretary of State, McCain also stuck around as a Senator and Romney is talking up a Senate bid right now as a 71-year-old man.

Clinton writing a book about her experience seems positively quaint by comparison. Hm, I wonder what the major difference between her and those four other candidates is?

I super wish they had asked the inverse of the bottom two questions, not "Do you want the Party to do more about X" but "How would you feel if the party did more about X?". "I don't want the party to do more about racial equality" is pretty universal among literally the entire party here, but for how many is that apathy and for how many is that actual hostility that means they will never ever vote for the modern Democratic party? This is super important

Democrats and liberals place high value in racial and religious diversity to the point were they consistently push policies that support them and they constantly talk about racial issues. It would explain why they don't go for Democrats. They might support racial diversity, but I think it is more apathetic. If they still support restricting immigration and support the Muslim ban than that really should tell that most of this people aren't going to Democratic full stop and won't be loyal; it even says that some of the anti-elites are former Democrats . One Trayvon Martian incident and these people will drop the party.

Diablos

I've got to be honest: I'm not seeing how a democratic candidate wins over any of those voters except for maybe some of the "Anti-elites"/"Disengaged" group, and that's going to take some rebranding on the part of the democrats.

The more I read that article, the more I'm convinced had the democrats ran someone other than Hillary they would have won. There was just way, way too much anti-Hillary sentiment out there, sadly.

Oh well. On to 2020. Elect someone the public loves. Maybe a kind, older gentleman with a history of relating to blue-collar Americans and who may have already served his country well in a major leadership position for numerous years. Someone who rides the train like Average Joe American.
Hillarys emails/DNC hacking and drama were like the domestic version of Carter and the hostages in that it would. Not. Go. Away. Every fucking day it was in your face, whether it was justified or not.

Two different situations I know, but both stood out more than anything else the both of them were doing or tried to do and it just sucked the life out of their campaigns.

Holmes

I agree on the age. I'm leaning a little more Sanders right now but if I think Biden's too old, then I have to believe the same for Sanders too.

Still hoping for Brown though.

kirblar

Democrats and liberals place high value in racial and religious diversity to the point were they consistently push policies that support them and they constantly talk about racial issues. It would explain why they don't go for Democrats. They might support racial diversity, but I think it is more apathetic. If they still support restricting immigration and support the Muslim ban than that really should tell that most of this people aren't going to Democratic full stop and won't be loyal; it even says that some of the anti-elites are former Democrats . One Trayvon Martian incident and these people will drop the party.
Apathy is exactly the right word to describe this type of voter. It's why it's difficult to peel off the Libertarian types- they're not going to vote on those axes unless its a literal Nazi...and even then they might not care enough!

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
If it makes people feel better, Hillary's book sales are probably subsidizing a lot of cool, less well-known writers at her publisher, so there's that.

Really I don't care if people write books but regardless of how people feel about the book at all this is probably the worst way to argue in favor of it ever. Trump starting a TV network in the event that he lost would have been way beyond disgusting. Really Trump TV is probably coming anyway if he doesn't go to jail so

jtb

Banned
The problem with California is that it's so fucking expensive to run a statewide race

btw did Feinstein do something today or is this just a continuation of the general "Feinstein should probably be primaried" conversation

Apathy is exactly the right word to describe this type of voter. It's why it's difficult to peel off the Libertarian types- they're not going to vote on those axes unless its a literal Nazi...and even then they might not care enough!

Yeah, "economically conservative and socially liberal" is basically a lie. Socially apathetic is the best you're gonna find, barring a handful of exceptions, because people who're economically conservative tend to lack the kind of empathy that leads to social liberal tendencies.

The problem with California is that it's so fucking expensive to run a statewide race

btw did Feinstein do something today or is this just a continuation of the general "Feinstein should probably be primaried" conversation

She poo-poo'd single payer but seems on board for the public option so whatever.

Holmes

She said she prefers the public option over the medicare for all bill.

Romney disappeared pretty hard for a few years though
c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.jpg

My brother and I were discussing this a bit, but, maybe I just haven't noticed, but for how anti-semetic conservatives are, I rarely ever see anti-semetic remarks being made against Schumer and Sanders. Both are high profile, powerful, liberal Jews who seem like easy targets for ((globalist)) complaints.

If "today he became an Independent president again", hasn't given you a clear picture of how eager the US media is to create "balance" such that whoever ran and whoever will run will be pummeled with whatever non story they can find. Not sure what will...

I believe I said this at one point during the campaign. She's toxic.

In other news where I was right, amazing Democrats jumping on the Kucinich train of single-payer.

As Coolio says, "Some of us gotta run a little faster because we got to lay the struggle."

Glad to see the pipe dreamers taking charge.

Hopefully Dems don't jump on the Kucinich train of supporting Trump.

jtb

Banned
If "today he became an Independent president again", hasn't given you a clear picture of how eager the US media is to create "balance" such that whoever ran and whoever will run will be pummeled with whatever non story they can find. Not sure what will...

Yeah, but peanut butter sandwiches gave us Trump so.

Not commenting on the book, but "well Trump would've done x" is just about the worst defense you could make for Hillary (or anyone's) actions.

Results coming in for a special election in New Hampshire House, looking pretty good for the Democrat, Charlie St. Clair but far from over.

Also a special election in Oklahoma and Mississippi tonight. If the Democrat wins the Mississippi election that breaks the GOP supermajority in the House, she has backing from the DLCC and the state party seems to be going all in. I believe that district went for Trump by 23 votes. But she's up against 3 Republicans and if no one gets a majority it goes to a run-off.

If there's one thing I've learned from the Very Serious Thinkers, it's that when one party gains control of the White House, it means they're going to control everything for at least a generation.

St. Clair won, officially.

I don't know where this leaves the NH House because there are a ton of vacancies, but it seems very likely that Democrats flip the chamber next year.

If there's one thing I've learned from the Very Serious Thinkers, it's that when one party gains control of the White House, it means they're going to control everything for at least a generation.
Isn't that what LBJ said?

"We've won the South for a generation."

I know we joke about "PERMANENT MAJORITY" and stuff like that, but Democrats have only controlled the House for 4 years over the last 20 years. That's not really a good thing.

The Senate has been pretty decent for Democrats over the last 20 years, though.

I know we joke about "PERMANENT MAJORITY" and stuff like that, but Democrats have only controlled the House for 4 years over the last 20 years. That's not really a good thing.

The Senate has been pretty decent for Democrats over the last 20 years, though.
I think what we're seeing now is a flip of the script of the Democratic House dominance that started in 1954 and lasted all the way until the 1994 elections.

Democrats only had the White House for 14 of those 40 years, but they held the House for 40 years straight, and usually held the Senate.

Whereas now the Democratic candidate has won the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 elections, while the House has been stubbornly Republican and the Senate has split almost evenly between the two parties.

Compromising this is that the Electoral College has a GOP lean which has fucked us over twice, otherwise you would have seen nearly 30 years of Democrats in the White House broken up only by one Bush term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom