• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly confident we'll win the NH House next year. It's just too vulnerable to swings to be effectively gerrymandered.

On the new GOP healthcare bill:

It's dead...again....and again.....and again....

I love Taniel at DKE but I'm getting sort of sick of the response to this being "MAYBE IT'S A TRAP"

Not everything is 19th Dimensional Chess.

I know we joke about "PERMANENT MAJORITY" and stuff like that, but Democrats have only controlled the House for 4 years over the last 20 years. That's not really a good thing.

The Senate has been pretty decent for Democrats over the last 20 years, though.

Also Democrats have won the popular vote in six of the past seven elections. It's kind of like a mirror image of 1968-1988 when Republicans won five of six presidential elections but Democrats controlled the House the entire time.

It's certainly not a perfect analogy. The existence of Dixiecrats meant that Democratic majorities in the House back then often existed only on paper, particularly in the early part of the Reagan administration. Also only four of our six popular vote victories have actually translated into Democratic presidencies.

EDIT - Well, Aaron beat me to the punch.

I think what we're seeing now is a flip of the script of the Democratic House dominance that started in 1954 and lasted all the way until the 1994 elections.

Democrats only had the White House for 14 of those 40 years, but they held the House for 40 years straight, and usually held the Senate.

Whereas now the Democratic candidate has won the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 elections, while the House has been stubbornly Republican and the Senate has split almost evenly between the two parties.

Compromising this is that the Electoral College has a GOP lean which has fucked us over twice, otherwise you would have seen nearly 30 years of Democrats in the White House broken up only by one Bush term.

It's interesting how the Senate was designed to be slow moving with stable leadership, while the House was meant to swing back and forth at the whim of the country, and yet it's mostly been the opposite since as far back as I know.

I wonder if it's the 17th Amendment that caused that, or just poor government design.

jtb

Banned
It's interesting how the Senate was designed to be slow moving with stable leadership, while the House was meant to swing back and forth at the whim of the country, and yet it's mostly been the opposite since as far back as I know.

I wonder if it's the 17th Amendment that caused that, or just poor government design.

I think the Senate is just easier to flip because there are just so fewer races. So, barring a crazy maxed out map like 2018, you just successfully target 3 or 4 races and you can swing it the other way.

c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.jpg

You can't convince me that he isn't touching himself in this picture.

I think the Senate is just easier to flip because there are just so fewer races. So, barring a crazy maxed out map like 2018, you just successfully target 3 or 4 races and you can swing it the other way.

I think this is probably right. With a smaller number of races you naturally wind up with more variance.

So. Open question. When the GOP smear machine gets into gear and starts pushing the narrative that the Democrats want to raise your white people taxes to pay for black people healthcare and take away your employer plan so that they can give healthcare to welfare queens and Mexican rapists and their anchor babies...

What is the response? If any.

So. Open question. When the GOP smear machine gets into gear and starts pushing the narrative that the Democrats want to raise your white people taxes to pay for black people healthcare and take away your employer plan so that they can give healthcare to welfare queens...

Have more babies than them.

pigeon

Banned
So. Open question. When the GOP smear machine gets into gear and starts pushing the narrative that the Democrats want to raise your white people taxes to pay for black people healthcare and take away your employer plan so that they can give healthcare to welfare queens...

Yeah but at least we're not Nazis

kirblar

Get Yellen to deliberately send us into a mild recession to further depress GOP turnout?

So. Open question. When the GOP smear machine gets into gear and starts pushing the narrative that the Democrats want to raise your white people taxes to pay for black people healthcare and take away your employer plan so that they can give healthcare to welfare queens and Mexican rapists and their anchor babies...

By the time you even start talking, Trump is going to walk out with his dick out while sending nuclear launch codes to Putin or something.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Promise a constitutional amendment protecting peanut butter.

Ban cars?

And another teacher flips a Trump district here in Oklahoma.

The OK Democratic Party would be foolish not to run on education next year, especially with many schools resorting to four-day weeks.

No, I haven't met Rosecrants, though I know people who know him. OK education epitomizes the term "small pond."

When I run for something, I'll give all of you some sort of signal - probably the words "moderate" and "darling" used in close proximity.

Ogodei

Funny thing is that China's looking to "ban cars" as we speak, specifically implement a gas/diesel ban in their struggle against the horrific air quality.

Funny thing is that China's looking to "ban cars" as we speak, specifically implement a gas/diesel ban in their struggle against the horrific air quality.
And it's funny how we re still being told " we shouldn't have to join the Paris climate deal because china is doing nothing"

It's weird that people expected her to just disappear after losing because no other presidential nominee has in recent years.

Gore won a Nobel prize for his efforts in raising awareness about climate change (like he made a movie about this), Kerry stuck around as a Senator and became Secretary of State, McCain also stuck around as a Senator and Romney is talking up a Senate bid right now as a 71-year-old man.

Clinton writing a book about her experience seems positively quaint by comparison. Hm, I wonder what the major difference between her and those four other candidates is?

She lost against the most hated candidate in modern Presidential history, mostly.

And another teacher flips a Trump district here in Oklahoma.

The OK Democratic Party would be foolish not to run on education next year, especially with many schools resorting to four-day weeks.

No, I haven't met Rosecrants, though I know people who know him. OK education epitomizes the term "small pond."

When I run for something, I'll give all of you some sort of signal - probably the words "moderate" and "darling" used in close proximity.
Democrats making for a competitive gubernatorial race in Oklahoma would be something, although not unprecedented - I believe they won the governor's seat in 2006 and even held a majority in the State Senate (not sure about the House).

Could be quite similar to Kansas which would have flipped blue in 2014 if voters didn't suddenly decide that Ebola was the most important issue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm more surprised Kennedy didn't do the right thing? I thought he wasn't pleased with the way districting has been going down?

He's got the case tailor made for him coming up, he probably doesn't want any rulings getting in the way of him being able to make a decision on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom