• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
UltimaKilo said:
It seems like both candidates are pretty much the same.

for you to make such a base statement says to me you haven't been paying attention to anything but the horse race.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
scorcho said:

for you to make such a base statement says to me you haven't been paying attention to anything but the horse race.

What I mean is that they both agree with each other on what has to be done, they just disagree on how to do it.

TDG

Banned
Hootie said:
No it's the fact that she attacked and put down Obama as if she were a republican. Her dirty tactics are not what Obama needs in his campaign
I was playing devil's advocate. But I do think that her tough style and mainstream appeal are actually exactly what Obama could use.

scorcho

UltimaKilo said:
Nope, I try not to read partisan papers. And I don't have to read the NYT to see his political style.
so you refuse to do critical reading to expose a candidate's platform, paint the NYT as a 'partisan' paper (hint: a liberal rag wouldn't have oh-fuck-me Kristol in its op-ed pages) and then claim that McCain and Obama are the same.

good work!

UltimaKilo said:
What I mean is that they both agree with each other on what has to be done, they just disagree on how to do it.
McCain and Obama want to improve the country, but disagree on what has to be done. ergo, they are the same.

UltimaKilo said:

Even if that were true, which it isn't, the whole how to do it makes them very different. The means is just as important as the result.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
scorcho said:
so you refuse to do critical reading to expose a candidate's platform, paint the NYT as a 'partisan' paper (hint: a liberal rag wouldn't have oh-fuck-me Kristol in its op-ed pages) and then claim that McCain and Obama are the same.

good work!

McCain and Obama want to improve the country, but disagree on what has to be done. ergo, they are the same.

To say that the NYT is not partisan is to say that the Washington Post isn't either. Meaning you can't see things objectively, but rather just partisan.

Obviously they both want to improve the country, but they don't really differ in a lot of issues. Sure healthcare, but those kinds of issues are always the same with Republicans and Democrats. When you look at energy, McCain supports everything and so does Obama, minus off-shore drilling (which he seems to have shifted on).

They both agree that out troops have to be pulled from Iraq and shifted to Afghanistan, and they both seems to be on the same timetable (now that is seems like a 2012 pullout anyways) .

UltimaKilo said:
To say that the NYT is not partisan is to say that the Washington Post isn't either. Meaning you can't see things objectively, but rather just partisan.

Obviously they both want to improve the country, but they don't really differ in a lot of issues. Sure healthcare, but those kinds of issues are always the same with Republicans and Democrats. When you look at energy, McCain supports everything and so does Obama, minus off-shore drilling (which he seems to have shifted on).

They both agree that out troops have to be pulled from Iraq and shifted to Afghanistan, and they both seems to be on the same timetable (now that is seems like a 2012 pullout anyways) .
facepalm

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
UltimaKilo said:

Hoooooooly hell dude.

Read the hell up on these guys policies on each of their official websites...like ASAP

scorcho

UltimaKilo said:

the EDITORIAL BOARD may have a tilt (NYT to the left, WaPo to the right), but the basic reporting is pretty devoid of it. that is, unless you mindlessly buy into conservative cries of a 'liberal media'.

as to the rest, we can all reduce their platforms to arching themes of what they want to do, but the specifics are pretty damn important (especially with regards to health care, the economy, foreign policy, everything, etc.). you can rationalize your ignorance and freedom from actually inspecting the campaigns, but expect a lot of lulz at your expense.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
RubxQub said:
Hoooooooly hell dude.

Read the hell up on these guys policies on each of their official websites...like ASAP

Don't have to, I've worked for their campaigns to familiarize myself with them.

Chrono

Banned
UltimaKilo is the problem Obama can't solve. How the fuck can he win people this stupid? The polite thing to say is that they haven't been paying attention. Poor things just don't have the info they need. This moron has all the info he needs, he's in this fucking thread for heaven's sake.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
scorcho said:
the EDITORIAL BOARD may have a tilt (NYT to the left, WaPo to the right), but the basic reporting is pretty devoid of it. that is, unless you mindlessly buy into conservative cries of a 'liberal media'.

as to the rest, we can all reduce their platforms to arching themes of what they want to do, but the specifics are pretty damn important (especially with regards to health care, the economy, foreign policy, everything, etc.). you can rationalize your ignorance and freedom from actually inspecting the campaigns, but expect a lot of lulz at your expense.

Argentina v USA back on, I'll come back when the game is over! :D I'm just asking for people to look at things objectively and not blurt things out like "lawlz Obama is a muslim and McCain is Bush 1.5". But that will never happen! :p

pxleyes said:
You've work with both campaigns? WAT?! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Indeed. I worked for the McCain campaign during the primaries, and I was an intern in the Obama campaign in Florida.

UltimaKilo said:

yes, the pro-war newspaper that gives David Broder and Fred Hiatt more money than I will see in my entire life to shit out their columns every week is truly the epitome of liberalism

RubxQub

UltimaKilo said:
Don't have to, I've worked for their campaigns to familiarize myself with them.
If your conclusion is: "that both candidates are basically the same"...then you are severly incorrect.

scorcho

UltimaKilo said:
\I'm just asking for people to look at things objectively and not blurt things out like "lawlz Obama is a muslim and McCain is Bush 1.5". But that will never happen! :p
when you quip that both candidates are roughly the same the irony meter goes off and whatever weight your point had is gone.

tanod

when is my burrito
masud said:
I guess I was wrong this seven story has gotten some traction with the media. It's just silly that of all the stupid and even scary shit McCain has done lately this is the story they run with.

I'd say so, but the Obama campaign is partly responsible since they're pushing it so hard.

Some of the media has been equating this to the "voted for before I voted against" and the parasailing video from the 2004 campaign.

Woohoo!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Father_Brain said:
yes, the pro-war newspaper that gives David Broder and Fred Hiatt more money than I will see in my entire life to shit out their columns every week is truly the epitome of liberalism

Exactly my point?

tanod

when is my burrito
After the announcement, I'd love to hear that the Obama campaign told Biden that he would be VP but only if he was able to keep it a secret until the formal announcement. If he couldn't keep his mouth shut, they'd pick Kaine or something.

RubxQub

pxleyes said:
It still makes sense.
My productivity is fucking eating it today because I'm GAFing and checking my TXT messages every second.

TDG

Banned
RubxQub said:
My productivity is fucking eating it today because I'm GAFing and checking my TXT messages every second.
I'm just waiting for that buzzing coming from my pocket. I can't wait.

I'm not getting my hopes up, I think the texts will go out tomorrow morning.

RubxQub

maynerd said:
Doesn't your phone alert you when you get a text message?
Have a Blackberry hooked into work e-mail. My phone buzzes 24/7 natually :(

UltimaKilo said:

It's all a question of competence. McCain isn't exactly the brightest bulb out there, definitely not a guy I want as president.

Mumei

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/21/what-would-miss-manners-say/

Cell phone etiquette may have sunk to a new low.

A man attending a town hall meeting here with Senator Barack Obama was yakking on his phone while Mr. Obama was speaking Thursday. Mr. Obama noticed him and called him out on it, so to speak.

“Now, this gentleman is on the phone,” a slightly amazed Mr. Obama told the crowd of a couple of thousand people seated attentively before him in a school gym. He had been talking about the economy but stopped. Gesturing to the man, Mr. Obama told him: “Get off the phone.”

The man said something inaudible, and Mr. Obama, who assumed the man was talking to his wife, replied: “Now you’ll really have something to tell her when you call her back.” Pause. “Oh, he says it wasn’t his wife,” Mr. Obama said, eliciting a big groan from the audience.

“That’s worse,” Mr. Obama said. “I hope your wife wasn’t watching on TV when you just said that.”

The candidate said he was just teasing and then carried on with his discussion.

RubxQub

maynerd said:
Can't you change the alert sound for text messages vs emails?

think outside the box man!
I prefer to freak out after every buzz to keep me on edge!

I'M A DONKEY ON THE EDGE!

maynerd

Banned
Make it happen Barack!

r-BIDENCHART-huge.jpg

TDG

Banned
I don't understand, why would Obama announce today, 24 hours before they actually appear together.

You kids are getting your hopes up for nothing, I'm thinking.

the disgruntled gamer said:
I don't understand, why would Obama announce today, 24 hours before they actually appear together.

You kids are getting your hopes up for nothing, I'm thinking.
It makes less sense to send his supporters a text message of who it is 1 hour, hell, even the day he is suppose to appear with his pick.

NLB2

Banned
scorcho said:

good work!

The WSJ and IBD print editorials from liberals all the time. Does that mean they're not conservative newspapers?

Do you remember this?
betrayus%20ad.JPG

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
It makes less sense to send his supporters a text message of who it is 1 hour, hell, even the day he is suppose to appear with his pick.
Why does that make less sense? You give them the heads-up just in advance, and then an hour later you've got the signs online and the two appearing together at the event.

Besides, it's 9am Pacific, and I didn't get no text message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom