• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Obama's Victory Lap and Smoking Hopium in Internet Dens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

grandjedi6 said:
That is not true. The only way Hillary can "win" the popular vote is with Michigan and Obama getting no votes from Michigan. Even with Florida added in Obama is likely to still be ahead at the end
Uhhhh. With FL certified the popular vote officially of certified states and terrorties is:
+163,655 Obama

She'll win by 250k at least in pr, more likely it will be 300-350k. And obama will net like 50k on june 3rd, SD and Montana are tiny.

She'll by the officially certified count be ahead 200k or so.

And that caucus state argument doesnt hold. With the estimates of those 4 added in with FL and a CONSERVATIVE win for her in PR she'd be ahead by 100k when all is said and done.

Does any of this matter? No. But if FL is certified like Chuck Todd predicts then in every single count and measure as of June 3rd no matter how you slice it she'll be ahead.

Link

The Autumn Wind
CowboyAstronaut said:
Or maybe she would take so many votes from Obama that McCain would cruise to the White House.
This.

Leave it to the Democrats to blow what should have been a sure thing.

deadbeef

CowboyAstronaut said:
Hilary is just getting back at all the Black voters she feels owes the Clintons their lives.

Every last one of them betrayed her and her husband so she will not go quietly into that good night. She will do everything she can to make sure Obama is not elected President.

Mark my words. Hilary will be running for President even if Obama is the party's nominee.

This is Hilary Clinton we are talking about. You guys think for a second she couldn't get support to run as a third party candidate? She would take millions of votes in the November election and possibly even win it beating out both Obama and McCain.

Or maybe she would take so many votes from Obama that McCain would cruise to the White House.

Will never happen, but if it did, there's not enough popcorn in the world...

Tamanon said:
No she can't. All she can do is harden the lines between the two camps. She can only win if a gigantic scandal breaks between now and the convention. Anything else would actually destroy the party.

You should know by now that the Clintons will do anything they can to get the nomination and get back into the White House, even if it means destroying the Democratic Party.

Her and Bill's actions are evidence of that. They have literally been attacking the party as of late and suggesting that the Democratic Party is now the party that is stealing votes from Florida. The Democratic Party is treating Hilary unfairly and pressuring her to come out at a level unseen in any other election. The behind the scenes implication is that it's because she's a woman.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Link said:
This.

Leave it to the Democrats to blow what should have been a sure thing.

You know, the way I look at, because it is the Clinton's, they were a bit powerless to stop this. They can't force her out, but it does look like she is going to kamikaze a sure thing.

Tamanon

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
You should know by now that the Clintons will do anything they can to get the nomination and get back into the White House, even if it means destroying the Democratic Party.

Her and Bill's actions are evidence of that. They have literally been attacking the party as of late and suggesting that the Democratic Party is now the party that is stealing votes from Florida. The Democratic Party is treating Hilary unfairly and pressuring her to come out at a level unseen in any other election. The behind the scenes implication is that it's because she's a woman.

Believe me, I'm #1 hater of the Clintons, by a long shot. But the problem is, there's no way for her to win the nomination AND win the general election. Winning the nomination at the convention means the stalwarts stay home and McCain wins in a walk.

Agent Icebeezy said:
You know, the way I look at, because it is the Clinton's, they were a bit powerless to stop this. They can't force her out, but it does look like she is going to kamikaze a sure thing.

Exactly. Don't buy for a second that she is going to lower herself, I'm sure this is how she sees it, to campaign for Obama after all the bad blood between the two, majority of which was created by Hilary Clinton.

That's the thing Tamanon. I think there is no way in hell she'll win the nomination, but she'll run of her own accord and there are ways of getting herself on the ballot for November. It will be easy for her to accomplish.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
Uhhhh. With FL certified the popular vote officially of certified states and terrorties is:
+163,655 Obama

She'll win by 250k at least in pr, more likely it will be 300-350k. And obama will net like 50k on june 3rd, SD and Montana are tiny.

She'll by the officially certified count be ahead 200k or so.

And that caucus state argument doesnt hold. With the estimates of those 4 added in with FL and a CONSERVATIVE win for her in PR she'd be ahead by 100k when all is said and done.

Does any of this matter? No. But if FL is certified like Chuck Todd predicts then in every single count and measure as of June 3rd no matter how you slice it she'll be ahead.
Don't believe the PR hype, a turnout of 1m would be pretty miraculous and winning by 20% would still net her "only" 200k

Tamanon

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
Exactly. Don't buy for a second that she is going to lower herself, I'm sure this is how she sees it, to campaign for Obama after all the bad blood between the two, majority of which was created by Hilary Clinton.

That's the thing Tamanon. I think there is no way in hell she'll win the nomination, but she'll run of her own accord and there are ways of getting herself on the ballot for November. It will be easy for her to accomplish.

Now you're just being crazy. She certainly won't run as an independent.:lol :lol That gives here even less of a chance to win in November!

I only just became aware that two days ago idaho voted for republicans.

McCain
70%

Paul
24%

24% for Paul! Thats a better amount that Obama has gotten in some states.

He got 40% in one county

gcubed

syllogism said:
Don't believe the PR hype, a turnout of 1m would be pretty miraculous and winning by 20% would still net her "only" 200k

are there any polls from PR? I dont see a mega turnout like cheebs seems to think, unless she is REALLY ahead.

Tamanon

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol at the McGreevey trial.

"Judge, she is avoiding every question I ask, she thinks she is Hillary Clinton":lol :lol

sangreal

Adding FL/MI to popular vote totals (a stupid metric regardless) is not legitimate whether or not the delegate selection plan is based on those votes or not. They were still illegitimate unsanctioned elections. Do you include every straw poll in your popular vote totals? Every unrecognized primary (WA/NE/ETC)?

jamesinclair said:
I only just became aware that two days ago idaho voted for republicans.

McCain
70%

Paul
24%

24% for Paul! Thats a better amount that Obama has gotten in some states.

He got 40% in one county
Obama's never gotten that low of a percentage in any state unless you are counting Michigan.

belvedere said:
So basically, let's avoid disenfranchising Florida voters by disenfranchising Florida voters.

That vote being allowed to stand as is is what's REALLY disenfranchising voters.

You know how many people likely stayed home knowing the votes wouldn't count? It's real disenfranchisement for people who stayed home to realize that the votes, that were originally not supposed to count, will now be counted and they are pretty much out of luck because they missed their chance to vote in the Primary. To count the votes as they were cast is real voter disenfranchisement.

The only reason that they are even being counted now is because Hilary made a big fuss about the votes the moment it became obvious that she needed an excuse to fall back on. Had Obama campaigned hard in Florida (Keep in mind this was before all the negative press about him) he would've either won it entirely or lost by a really close margin.

Edit :: Tamanon, but it gives her an even greater chance to prevent Obama from winning in November. Why is she still campaigning so hard right now when it's clearly over? Based on the things she is saying she is not simply campaigning JUST to reach the finish line. She is campaigning to amass a movement of support going into her surprise announcement that she will still be running for President, despite not winning the party's nomination. The very act alone would get her all sorts of press, a lot of negative press as well, but there would a lot of press around it regardless.

It would basically re-invigorate not only her base, but give her campaign a fresh start. She is campaigning the way she is now because she wants those voters to still feel that is viable come November when she is on the ballot.

I'm calling it here and now. Feel free to quote me on it later.

Hilary Clinton WILL be running for President even after she doesn't get the Democratic Nomination. She will be on the ballot in November for all states except maybe one or 2 Republican states that she knows she can't win anyway.

CowboyAstronaut said:
That vote being allowed to stand as is is what's REALLY disenfranchising voters.

You know how many people likely stayed home knowing the votes wouldn't count? It's real disenfranchisement for people who stayed home to realize that the votes, that were originally not supposed to count, will now be counted and they are pretty much out of luck because they missed their chance to vote in the Primary. To count the votes as they were cast is real voter disenfranchisement.

The only reason that they are even being counted now is because Hilary made a big fuss about the votes the moment it became obvious that she needed an excuse to fall back on. Had Obama campaigned hard in Florida (Keep in mind this was before all the negative press about him) he would've either won it entirely or lost by a really close margin.
This man speaks the truth. Why aren't any pundits talking about this? Fucking makes my blood boil, man.

Trakdown

You know, it's sad. If you would've asked me two days ago whether or not I felt good about the RBC meeting on the 31st, I would've said yes.

Now? I'm dreading it. I know it's not going to go Hillary's way, but the worst thing is that her campaign and her followers have taken it upon themselves to make this a fucking rally rather than a meeting. It's already a farce, since every reason we're even having this thing is based on fucking lies and backroom politicking. And one way or another, Hillary's camp is going to make a scene.

I hope the people holding this meeting have good security, with guns and riot gear. This is going to be one fucking ugly Saturday.

joetachi

typhonsentra said:
What makes you so certain she has such a big lead in Puerto Rico?
Its weird i live in PR and i sorta dont feel her winning by a big lead here. But the thing is politics suck here and being well known is bettter than being the good candidate.

Tamanon

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
Edit :: Tamanon, but it gives her an even greater chance to prevent Obama from winning in November. Why is she still campaigning so hard right now when it's clearly over? Based on the things she is saying she is not simply campaigning JUST to reach the finish line. She is campaigning to amass a movement of support going into her surprise announcement that she will still be running for President, despite not winning the party's nomination. The very act alone would get her all sorts of press, a lot of negative press as well, but there would a lot of press around it regardless.

It would basically re-invigorate not only her base, but give her campaign a fresh start. She is campaigning the way she is now because she wants those voters to still feel that is viable come November when she is on the ballot.

I'm calling it here and now. Feel free to quote me on it later.

Hilary Clinton WILL be running for President even after she doesn't get the Democratic Nomination. She will be on the ballot in November for all states except maybe one or 2 Republican states that she knows she can't win anyway.

SHE WILL NOT RUN AS AN INDEPENDENT IN NOVEMBER! SHE WILL NOT BE ON THE BALLOT.

If she did that, a) she would not win, b) she would not be able to run in 2012 because she will be shunned by the masses. Stop being paranoid and actually think things through.

During the Q&A, I pressed Murdoch -- a new U.S. citizen -- on whether he would actually vote for Obama in November. He said he was leaning toward it, but would know in the next six months. When I asked if I could call him, he said yes, then joked I could probably just figure it out from reading the Post.

Wow that says alot. I thought the papers don't actually admit who they support and the reader has to just notice the obvious.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Tamanon said:
SHE WILL NOT RUN AS AN INDEPENDENT IN NOVEMBER! SHE WILL NOT BE ON THE BALLOT.

If she did that, a) she would not win, b) she would not be able to run in 2012 because she will be shunned by the masses. Stop being paranoid and actually think things through.

I think she has killed her chances already for 2012. If in any event Obama does not win, a very large contingent of blacks will hold her solely responsible for it because of these actions she and her husband her displaying now.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
CowboyAstronaut said:
you're insane - she'd effectively ruin any future she has with the Democratic Party.

sangreal

Agent Icebeezy said:
I think she has killed her chances already for 2012

I'm sure she'll challenge an incumbent Obama in 2012, even if she is VP :lol

scorcho said:
you're insane - she'd effectively ruin any future she has with the Democratic Party.

You're making a big assumption that she cares (I agree there is 0 chance of her running as independent). She'll almost be McCain's age in 2016 if Obama wins (twice) and probably facing a VP in the primary. All signs point to her only being in the Senate as a stepping stone to the Presidency. Thats why she is so bitter about Barack skipping in line

CowboyAstronaut said:
wut.

belvedere

Junior Butler
CowboyAstronaut said:
It's real disenfranchisement for people who stayed home to realize that the votes, that were originally not supposed to count, will now be counted and they are pretty much out of luck because they missed their chance to vote in the Primary. To count the votes as they were cast is real voter disenfranchisement.

This was the exact meaning of my comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom