• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA's First 100 Out of the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
Cheebs said:
Everyone in America is excited right now it seems. Even the Conservatives going by polling.

Wild stuff, we are about to witness one of the most important days in American history. What a time to be alive. No one can be pessimistic today, and I doubt any American is.

Spend some time in the south.

There are literally people stocking up on food and guns expecting the collapse of the economy and the country once Obama takes office. I wish I could say its one or two isolated instances, but its not.

I firmly believe the Limbaugh and Fox News culture has warped the sensibilities and minds of many people that they should be considered legally insane. Its the only common thread i find between all the people thinking America is about to collapse around here.

Fox318

kkaabboomm said:
http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/Inauguration/story?id=6674817&page=1

so with the rumored 'start the process of closing gitmo' order, coupled with this 'get the hell out of iraq' order, both on 'day one', I'm already liking this guy.

I know things won't HAPPEN immediately, due to logistics and everything else, but having an order saying this is what we ARE in the process of doing, this is what we ARE doing, etc, is a great start.
Good news. All I've been hearing from people is that Obama was backpedaling on the Iraqi withdrawal.

blazing_obamas.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So, I just got back from the airport, and I am just checking: the net result of eight years of battling for freedom, is less freedom, right?

Hootie

Would anybody consider taking the honor of posting the fuuuuuuck.gif as Obama is sworn in? I of course would do it if I was actually going to be on GAF at that moment.

It's a culmination of fuuuuck.gifs ranging all the way back to last February.

Awesome. I can't believe he's finally about to be president. I wish him the very best - I truly hope the next 8 years are good.

(He'll probably win re-election. He'll have to fuck up pretty bad to lose it. Bush got reelected.)

Cheebs

Jonm1010 said:
Spend some time in the south.

There are literally people stocking up on food and guns expecting the collapse of the economy and the country once Obama takes office. I wish I could say its one or two isolated instances, but its not.

I firmly believe the Limbaugh and Fox News culture has warped the sensibilities and minds of many people that they should be considered legally insane. Its the only common thread i find between all the people thinking America is about to collapse around here.
They are the vast minority of conservatives. The vast majority of McCain voters are looking forward to the Obama years and are optimistic about how he'll do all polling shows. Don't be a downer! Most republicans are on board and want Obama to be a fantastic President. :)

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
PhoenixDark said:
Yup, it's like everyone's in line to see the Phantom Menace. So much hype

fixed

But, seriously I think Obama will be a great president, he's going to close down Gitmo, remove Don't Ask Don't Tell, and best of all he got rid of for Hilary us!!!

GhaleonEB said:
Pollster.com has been collection opnion of the transition, Obama's favorablity ratings and the right track/wrong track view of the country.

http://www.pollster.com/

Obama winning sure did wonders for his favorablity numbers.
I wonder how that works. Did the people who voted for McCain start to like him more or what?

OuterWorldVoice said:
So, I just got back from the airport, and I am just checking: the net result of eight years of battling for freedom, is less freedom, right?

GhaleonEB said:
It depends.

Leezard

Hootie said:
Would anybody consider taking the honor of posting the fuuuuuuck.gif as Obama is sworn in? I of course would do it if I was actually going to be on GAF at that moment.

It's a culmination of fuuuuck.gifs ranging all the way back to last February.
Wasn't posting that gif banned?

DrForester said:
I'm going to watch a movie on Tuesday.

blazing.jpg
Hell Yeah!

He rode a blazing saddle
He wore a shining star
His job to offer battle to bad men near and far

He conquered fear and he conquered hate
He turned dark night into day
He made his blazing saddle a torch to light the way

Hootie

Leezard said:
Wasn't posting that gif banned?

I've seen that shit posted in the NFL thread just weeks ago.

I'm almost positive I saw it in the Election Thread.

So unless there's some double standard I'm missing/forgetting, you shouldn't be banned.

Blader

Fox318 said:
Look at it this way... I've heard reports of 3million people turing up and it will be below freezing...also MSNBC had an interesting story about how the city does not have enough porta-potties.

Fucking great.

Only reason I'm going to the inauguration is because I have tickets.

Fox318

Hootie said:

So unless there's some double standard I'm missing/forgetting, you shouldn't be banned.

blazing-saddles-260.jpg

blazing-saddles-265.jpg

Fox318

Blader5489 said:
Fucking great.

1. Bring a Bottle( and maybe a funnel depending on gender).
2. Just move around alot.
3. Buy a thermos and put some chicken Broth or hot chocolate in it.

Leezard

Hootie said:

I thought that I had heard one or two people say that they were banned for posting it, but I may be mistaken.

Cheebs

NintendoTogepi said:
Awesome. I can't believe he's finally about to be president. I wish him the very best - I truly hope the next 8 years are good.

(He'll probably win re-election. He'll have to fuck up pretty bad to lose it. Bush got reelected.)
Looking at recent history presidents who get elected to a first term almost always get re-elected. In national politics being congress, senate, or president once the people elect you once it takes a lot to be kicked out. Re-election is almost always easier. Only two presidents since Herbert Hoover in 1932 have lost re-election after a first term. Carter and Bush Sr.

Jonm1010

Banned
Cheebs said:
They are the vast minority of conservatives. The vast majority of McCain voters are looking forward to the Obama years and are optimistic about how he'll do all polling shows. Don't be a downer! Most republicans are on board and want Obama to be a fantastic President. :)

Im not saying that this is inflated for the rest of the country, but down here in Louisiana, that is the sentiment from the older than 35 white crowd and a fair amount of the under 35 crowd as well.

You also have to understand the south, especially Louisiana, is still very racist. I agree there are republicans that think optimistically about Obama but go to places like Chalmette, Hammond, Baton Rouge and that negativity is the majority sentiment. It sucks, but it goes to show that the divide in the south hasnt lessened yet.

My hope is that Obama does enough that it will become impossible for those same alarmists and bigots to conclude anything but he had a successful presidency.

Blader5489 said:
Fucking great.

funny you should say that. people with tickets, once they go through the separate security checkpoint, won't have access to any port-a-potty's.

250,000 tickets, only something like 38,000 seats. the rest of the tickets are for standing room only.

5,000 port-a-potty's for the rest of the mall.

Hootie

Leezard said:
I thought that I had heard one or two people say that they were banned for posting it, but I may be mistaken.

Yeah I was back sometime in August/September, but since then it has been posted multiple times.

It could be the actual variation that is posted. I always posted the one with explosions and shit which was the craziest one, visually speak.

If you or somebody else posts the regular one without the explosions, I can't imagine you'd get in trouble.

Fox318

NintendoTogepi said:

Bush got re-elected because Kerry was a horrible candidate. If the party went with Dean they would have won.

Cheebs

Jonm1010 said:
Im not saying that this is inflated for the rest of the country, but down here in Louisiana, that is the sentiment from the older than 35 white crowd and a fair amount of the under 35 crowd as well.

You also have to understand the south, especially Louisiana, is still very racist. I agree there are republicans that think optimistically about Obama but go to places like Chalmette, Hammond, Baton Rouge and that negativity is the majority sentiment. It sucks, but it goes to show that the divide in the south hasnt lessened yet.

My hope is that Obama does enough that it will become impossible for those same alarmists and bigots to conclude anything but he had a successful presidency.
Louisiana is the exception to the rule. He won I believe only 11% of the white vote there iirc.

It is quickly becoming the minority of the south, not just the country. Look at places like Virginia and North Carolina. And states like Texas are on pace to be swing states soon. The confederate tendencies of the white south is weaning, although Louisiana is not one of those places it is felt.

58% of McCain voters are optimistic about Obama as President. That is a great place to be. America is UNITED right now. Conservative, liberal, and moderates. All behind Obama.

Hootie

Who in the Republican party (as of right now) is a viable candidate for '12? None of them seem like they can rally their voters in any way close to how Obama did in '08

Cheebs

Fox318 said:
Bush got re-elected because Kerry was a horrible candidate. If the party went with Dean they would have won.
Dean would have been a failure and I say this as a guy who likes Dean. He would have been like Carter in 1980. His views on Iraq were a minority in 2004.

He was a complete dud in the democratic primaries. If he couldn't win any votes there there is no way he would have in the general. And his campaign imploded before the Dean scream. His terrible performance in Iowa is what lead to the scream so that is not to blame.

Fox318

Hootie said:
Who in the Republican party (as of right now) is a viable candidate for '12? None of them seem like they can rally their voters in any way close to how Obama did in '08
Jindal, and any candidate from the extreme religious right. Or we could see a Hispanic candidate.
I don't think Huck will run in 2012.

Cheebs

Hootie said:
Palin, Jindal, Romney, Huckabee, Pawlenty will all be running in 2012 most likely and will probably be the "top tier" of the field.

If the economy is still in the shitter then Romney will have a very good chance. If the economy starts to stabilize I see it as a bloody fight between Jindal and Palin.

Hootie

Fox318 said:
Jindal, and any candidate from the extreme religious right.

ANYBODY but these lunatics. Anybody...

Cheebs said:
If the economy starts to stabilize I see it as a bloody fight between Jindal and Palin.

:lol Palin nomination = Instant Obama reelection.

Jonm1010

Banned
Cheebs said:
Louisiana is the exception to the rule. He won I believe only 11% of the white vote there iirc.

It is quickly becoming the minority of the south, not just the country. Look at places like Virginia and North Carolina. And states like Texas are on pace to be swing states soon. The confederate tendencies of the white south is weaning, although Louisiana is not one of those places it is felt.

58% of McCain voters are optimistic about Obama as President. That is a great place to be. America is UNITED right now. Conservative, liberal, and moderates. All behind Obama.

Like I said, I know the polls, I understand, I just wanted to add to the discussion that this sentiment still hasnt made a considerable impact in states like Louisiana and Mississippi. If anything it seems to actually be dividing people right now, which is counter to what is happening in the rest of the country, and is very sad. My hope is that in 4 (maybe 8) years from now i can hear people in the south who hated and feared this mans presidency sit back and say " That Obama fellow wasn't to bad a guy, I hope we get another president as decent as he was."

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Romney will be back....
Him and Jindal are the only ones who would have a shot. Romney because he's actually smart when it comes to business and economics and Jindal because he's a social conservative jesus freak who fills the "no we're not racist" check box.

Fox318 said:

Most candidates would have been better than Kerry. I think Hillary could have pulled off a win.

Cheebs said:
Palin, Jindal, Romney, Huckabee, Pawlenty will all be running in 2012 most likely and will probably be the "top tier" of the field.

If the economy is still in the shitter then Romney will have a very good chance. If the economy starts to stabilize I see it as a bloody fight between Jindal and Palin.

I don't see Jindal running in 2012 - he'll wait till 2016 where he'll actually have a chance of winning. He's young, charismatic, they won't waste him in 2012.

I'm thinking Huckabee will still be on Fox News, and most likely on the Weekdays. I doubt he'll run.

Pawlenty is too blah to get the nomination. So dull.

Romney has a pretty good shot, but he's a scary Mormon, and I have a feeling Universal Healthcare will be a campaign issue in 2012, and do the Republicans really want to run a pro-Universal healthcare candidate?

I see Palin as the nominee. Still very popular, and they'll nominate her to get rid of her since she has no shot of winning. Plus they can say in the future "We had the first female nominee lolz".

NintendoTogepi said:
I see Palin as the nominee. Still very popular, and they'll nominate her to get rid of her since she has no shot of winning. Plus they can say in the future "We had the first female nominee lolz".
If this were to happen then the 2012 campaign could end up being even more epic than this last one. :lol

DO IT PALIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom