• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: How Jason Kander Won by Losing

Makonero

Kander’s Senate race ended seven months ago. He lost.

At the dinner, right in the heart of presidential hopeful pilgrimage territory, Kander delivered a version of a speech he’s been doing all over the country since November—the resistance he’s seen to Donald Trump, what Democrats need to remember about themselves, the story of the Afghan translator who surprised him by not caring that he was Jewish, and a reminder that yeah, he’s the guy from the viral ad taking apart the rifle with the blindfold on.

“If this were a season of ‘The Apprentice,’ Donald Trump would have fired Donald Trump! … Donald Trump won the election, but he did not win the argument! … If we work together, we can save the American dream from the nightmare that is Donald Trump!”

That was Friday night. Next stop was Saturday morning in Worcester, to gush about Elizabeth Warren at the Massachusetts state Democratic convention, then to Kentucky that night for the Young Democrats Convention. On Friday, he hit Salt Lake City for the Utah Democratic Party Taylor Mayne Dinner. Saturday night, it’s Ottumwa for the Iowa Democratic Party Dinner, before going to Atlanta on Monday to headline the campaign kick-off for Georgia governor hopeful Stacey Abrams. He even gave the keynote speech at the Democratic National Committee elections meeting in Atlanta in February.

The 36-year-old Kander—who came shockingly close to ousting Missouri’s Republican Sen. Roy Blunt last November despite Hillary Clinton’s blowout loss in the state—has been a man in demand the last seven months, starting with a major Iowa progressive group that reached out after the election to ask him to come to its holiday party. He drew a slightly bigger crowd than Bernie Sanders had at the same event two years earlier. He’s kept doing presidential-ish travel and generating presidential-ish buzz, though the highest office he’s ever held is secretary of state—of Missouri.
More here: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/17/how-jason-kander-won-by-losing-215271

Edit: sorry about that! Mobile cutting and pasting sucks ass

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He really needs to just get himself in office. The House needs goods candidates for 2018. The guy has "future president" written all over him - he's young, handsome, a combat veteran. But he lacks political experience. I think he would beat Trump, even right now, if he ran.

Meowster

I love him and I was more upset he lost than Hillary losing since there was like.. little to no chance of Hillary winning Missouri anyways. I can't stand Roy Blunt. He's a Wall Street stooge. Kander has been excellent though and has even sent me (and other people who helped out to his campaign and donated) a bunch of letters about how we can still be active and help out. He's a great man.

The way the Democratic primary process works would nuke him in the womb. Why on earth would any superdelegate, most of whom have actually won elections consistently, support a guy who has proven he can't?

Obama tested the limits of fresh facedness in '08 with half the party tearing their hair out over his "lack of experience", but at least he actually won something prior.

The piece just reads like typical in-the-bubble nonsense.

Obama tested the limits of fresh facedness in '08 with half the party tearing their hair out over his "lack of experience", but at least he actually won something prior.

He's only 35 though, he has plenty of time to keep building his political career in the next 5 or 10 or 15 years. I agree that any 2020 talk is overheated, but that doesn't mean that Kander isn't the real deal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The way the Democratic primary process works would nuke him in the womb. Why on earth would any superdelegate, most of whom have actually won elections consistently, support a guy who has proven he can't?

He hasn't proven he can't. He ran far and away ahead of the top of the ticket in a deep red state where there was little reasonable hope of winning to begin with. Dude could pick up a House seat almost anywhere in that state.

The guy isn't ready for prime time but he's literally 10 years younger than Obama was when he ran for President.

Meowster

If Kander had won his election, he'd have been the ideal 2020 candidate against Trump but what can you do now? Hope he runs for something again here in Missouri (maybe a second go against Blunt or a House position).

Klotera

As a 15 year KCMO resident who grew up in StL, I love and hate Missouri at the same time. There is a lot to love about KC and StL, but then I see how the state votes and get embarrassed (though, I do live in one of only a couple counties that went blue in the past election).

Jason Kander is a great reminder that there are good people here that can make a difference. I love that he's started his voting rights organization. Some have said it is not a good political move if he wants higher office, but he's doing it because he believes it is needed.

He ran in a red state in a year that Trump won the presidency and he made it close. It was not a normal election cycle. I wouldn't hold that against him. Though, I agree competitors might point to that as a fault.

Gabbard is better.

whoa.png

Kusagari

Because the guy almost won in a state Hillary lost by 20 points?

He hasn't proven he can't. He ran far and away ahead of the top of the ticket in a deep red state where there was little reasonable hope of winning to begin with. Dude could pick up a House seat almost anywhere in that state.

The guy isn't ready for prime time but he's literally 10 years younger than Obama was when he ran for President.

The only House seat in Missouri that Kander could win would be the one for KC, which is already held by a Democrat. He's not winning mid-Missouri, to be sure.

He'll run for governor in 2020 and hopefully win.

The only House seat in Missouri that Kander could win would be the one for KC, which is already held by a Democrat. He's not winning mid-Missouri, to be sure.

He'll run for governor in 2020 and hopefully win.

He might have a chance in MO-02. It has a PVI of R+8, and its incumbent, Ann Wagner, purportedly wants to challenge McCaskill for the Senate seat. An open seat with that PVI would be vulnerable in a Democratic wave.

EDIT: You responded to this idea in the PoliGAF thread.

Ecotic

He may just have to move to a friendlier state, honestly. His career will be permanently ruined if he gets a reputation for running and losing constantly.

Even then she one of the most conservative Dems in congress.

I don't really get that impression, but it's sort of a non-starter because most people have no idea who she is. She's not one of my personal favorites, although she supports multiple things I support. But most progressives do - on some level.

What I want to be clear about is that I think natural selection will determine the next wave of Democrats and the more that sprout the better. I want them to grow like weeds. I want Kanders and Ossoffs and Harrises and Moultons and even goofy candidates like Quist. Having as many different personalities for people to gravitate towards is good for activating a base - so long as these personalities actually work together to bolster the grand message.

I am trying to stay out of the "my liberal is better than your liberal" game right now. I feel like that's a luxury we are only afforded when progressives are in power. Gaining and maintaining influence is most important to me at this moment. We can prune the ones we don't like when we have the breathing room to do so.

People like Gabbard and Kander excite people. That's the enough for me to be glad they're on the same team.

Right now, let's build a bench. I hope you can see what I mean.

DonShula

Why the hell not run for president? We're in a post-"experience is necessary" world. Ideally he'd hold another state office for at least four years first, but hey, flood the Dem primary pool.

Oh, and Gabbard is not our hero...

Why the hell not run for president? We're in a post-"experience is necessary" world. Ideally he'd hold another state office for at least four years first, but hey, flood the Dem primary pool.

Oh, and Gabbard is not our hero...

You don't think that Trump's ineptitude will cause a massive swing in four years? In 2020, experience might be one of the most desirable traits in a candidate.

Why the hell not run for president? We're in a post-"experience is necessary" world.
I feel like this argument ignores the dumpster fire that is Trump's actual presidency. We've seen someone with no experience win the race, yeah, but we haven't seen someone with no experience actually be a competent president. Tbh there might even be a backlash next time where people are less likely to vote for someone with no relevant experience considering how well this one is working out...

She's sooo conservative /s

She also capes for Assad

And used the conservative "Why won't Obama say radical Islamic terrorism?" rhetoric

And she's being supported by alt-righter Richard Spencer because of her stance on Muslims

She was also the only Democrat under serious consideration for a position in the Trump administration

So yeah, she is actually pretty conservative.

I am trying to stay out of the "my liberal is better than your liberal" game right now. I feel like that's a luxury we are only afforded when progressives are in power. Gaining and maintaining influence is most important to me at this moment. We can prune the ones we don't like when we have the breathing room to do so.

But wouldn't you agree that at the bare minimum, the Democratic candidates should stand against the worst of Trump's policies and those of the GOP? Giving in to one of the things the Republicans are loudest about wouldn't suddenly bring conservatives to the Democrat's table, it would only depress Dem voter turnout, weaken their position, and prove once and for all that their reputation for spinelessness is well-earned.

Her views on LGBT (nb4 people who tried to shit on Hillary for flipping on gay marriage are like "BUT SHE CHANGED!!!" when Tulsi's views on LGBT people were steeped in hatred and she's been a terrible representative in that regard anyway) and Muslims are a no sale for me, sorry friend.

I'd probably hold my nose and vote for her over Trump but I'm the primary? Fuck no, not in a million years, I'd sooner vote for Jim Webb.

Does he have a realistic shot at governor in 2020?

Sure, Missouri has a long history of Democratic governors. Greitens will be hard to beat by virtue of incumbency, but has also had some shady dealings with donors and there's a bipartisan group of State Senators calling for an investigation. I don't expect that to stop anytime soon as Greitens has shown zero willingness to be transparent.

Combine that with a potential backlash against Trump/the GOP nationwide, it is very possible that Kander could win.

Haha. Love how post #4 derailed the whole thread to make it about a terrible person.

FWIW, I remember Obama name dropping Kander as one of the future greats in his very last interview.

But wouldn't you agree that at the bare minimum, the Democratic candidates should stand against the worst of Trump's policies and those of the GOP? Giving in to one of the things the Republicans are loudest about wouldn't suddenly bring conservatives to the Democrat's table, it would only depress Dem voter turnout, weaken their position, and prove once and for all that their reputation for spinelessness is well-earned.

Yes, you're not wrong, I agree. I also agree I would rather have somebody who does everything I want instead of some things I want and some things I hate.

I would just prefer to re-establish a progressive foothold before we start running against each other. That doesn't mean waiting until somebody is running for president to push back against them, but I'm trying to keep a positive look on progressive candidates for the time being.

But this is all very pedantic of me, because honestly, Tulsi Gabbard is barely even on my radar and I am not one of her patrons. Gabbard is not somebody I would support for higher office if given the choice. I'm a Kander man. That's what brought me into this thread, not to play devil's advocate for anyone else.

I've met Kander before. He's a geniune, super cool guy who clearly knows what he's talking about. I really wish that he would have won the Senate election, instead we get Blunt for another term out of what feels like 100 already. Man as a Missouri resident Missouri really sucks sometimes.

I'd vote for this guy. Rather have him then Tulsi Gabard.
I also loved his Gun regulation ad.
Here it is: https://youtu.be/-wqOApBLPio

What's so clever about this ad is that he is still suggesting most of the same regulations that Democrats were proposing at the time, but he clearly won the votes of a lot more gun owners because the ad shows that when he talks about guns he is speaking as an expert.

It's something that I think Democrats should take note of for future attempts at getting gun regulations passed.

He really needs to just get himself in office. The House needs goods candidates for 2018. The guy has "future president" written all over him - he's young, handsome, a combat veteran. But he lacks political experience. I think he would beat Trump, even right now, if he ran.

How could he get in as POTUS when big shots like Mark Zuckerberg, Dwayne Johnson, Bob Iger, and Donald Trump are likely running? His chances against any of them would presumably be very tiny based off of his most recent campaign.

How could he get in as POTUS when big shots like Mark Zuckerberg, Dwayne Johnson, Bob Iger, and Donald Trump are likely running? His chances against any of them would presumably be very tiny based off of his most recent campaign.

Democrats aren't dumb enough to elect businessmen (or actors...) with no political experience. If you want to get really blunt, black voters in the south will not rally behind sanitized white oligarchs.

Slayven

People really think that is serious? Dude couldn't handle his movie bombing, no way he handles the stress of a primary

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I like Kander. He seems like the kind of D that may be able to break through in this part of the country.

Also, let's keep The Rock away from this shit, please? I feel like I'd have a bunch of egg on my face for railing against Trump if I turned around and voted for a professional wrestler.

Top Bottom