• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump on track to win re-election. (WaPo Opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shauni

He was right, though. One of the few during the last election cycle and people laughed at him. I think he earned the right to brag for now lol.

Eh, his dismissal of the Russia involvement in our election devalues his 'street cred' to me, but you want to buy-in, go for it.

SDCowboy

Do people genuinely believe Trump runs for a second term? I just don't see it.

I think it will likely be Pence running.

Boke1879

I mean of course Trump can win re-election. That's a given and he's the incumbent.

But we are a long ways away from 2020 and anything can happen. Economy, war, anything. Midterms will be a real time checkpoint in checking in on progress though and seeing what needs to be done.

legacyzero

Banned
Save us, Kamala Harris.
Ugh, no. I’d be behind that idea, but from what I’ve seen of her, she has no charisma. No excitement. Get somebody firey in there. Rattles the base, fuck decorum, can speak to multiple issues (yes, even the WWC in the firewall), be the anti-Trump, etc. Obama was that, and we need more of it. And surprisingly, non of the would-be candidates so far, have that fire IMO. Perhaps Elizabeth Warren? Bernie is the most popular politician in America, be even he lacks the fire Obama had. He comes across as crotchety most of the time which hurts him I think.

We need to stop arbitrarily anointing candidates, and vet a real powerhouse for the bar that Obama set.

entremet

Eh, his dismissal of the Russia involvement in our election devalues his 'street cred' to me, but you want to buy-in, go for it.

I think the Russia is still amazingly complex and early myself. I do believe they interfered. That is clear. The lack of clarity right now is how effective that interfering was with actual voting patterns.

I think the voter suppression laws had a bigger effect and that was not a Russia thing.

rjinaz

He was right, though. One of the few during the last election cycle and people laughed at him. I think he earned the right to brag for now lol.

I mean it was still a 50/50 chance of being right, it's hardly proof of insightfulness.

That said, I was badly mistaken last election and that is why I won't be taking Trump being finished as granted and I expect Democrats to not pull any punches. I grossly underestimated how much people hated Hillary Clinton.

ZOONAMI

Those are just the people who approve of him, Republicans of all sorts will still vote for him in the end.

Aka white people. 75% of the white people you know will vote for the fucker in hopes of lower taxes. And they fucking turn out and don’t have suppression and gerrymandering working against them. Same goes for virtually any gop candidate. Electoral college needs to go and if dems ever have a full majority again they need to axe that shit immediately.

Twice in the last 16 Years the presidency was stolen because of fucking white people in the Midwest.

Shauni

I think the Russia is still amazingly complex and early myself. I do believe they interfered. That is clear. The lack of clarity right now is how effective that interfering was with actual voting patterns.

I think the voter suppression laws had a bigger effect and that was not a Russia thing.

I hope you believe it because it's a fucking fact. Jesus. There's no question at this point.

Ugh, no. I’d be behind that idea, but from what I’ve seen of her, she has no charisma. No excitement. Get somebody firey in there. Rattles the base, fuck decorum, can speak to multiple issues (yes, even the WWC in the firewall), be the anti-Trump, etc. Obama was that, and we need more of it. And surprisingly, non of the would-be candidates so far, have that fire IMO. Perhaps Elizabeth Warren? Bernie is the most popular politician in America, be even he lacks the fire Obama had. He comes across as crotchety most of the time which hurts him I think.

We need to stop arbitrarily announcing candidates, and vet a real powerhouse for he bar that Obama set.

So, basically, find the unicorn.

snap

Banned
the lynchpin of the article's argument seems to be "he can do what he did last time" and "polling is innacurate as the last election showed so therefore his approval ratings are higher"

seems weak

FSLink

Banned
Al franken warren 2020.

Franken is like a younger Bernie and warren is actually fairly left. Dems need to stop with this centrist nonsense and energize progressives who will actually be excited about their candidates and fucking show up to vote.
If only. He doesn't seem to be interested in running.

entremet

I mean it was still a 50/50 chance of being right, it's hardly proof of insightfulness.

That said, I was badly mistaken last election and that is why I won't be taking Trump being finished as granted and I expect Democrats to not pull any punches.

Well, I read his posts too. He was on the money with the analysis, not just the prediction itself. But really, any Trump winning rhetoric was clamped down in the political threads by the True Believers.

I hope you believe it because it's a fucking fact. Jesus. There's no question at this point.

So, basically, find the unicorn.

Yes, we already found out as such. I think the argument Renta was making is the effect they had on the election itself.

Another poster and I have been saying this shit and people respond with “joke isn’t funny, stop”

Wonder what they’ll say now 🙄

The same thing. This piece is weak and making a projection three years out. Conflating closely lost popular votes with a 3MM vote romp where Trump won in narrow margins in states he needed in a low probability scenario is also glaring.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Any incumbent has an advantage to win reelection. If the Democratic Party doesn't take the House in the midterms you better prepare for the real nightmare.

rjinaz

Well, I read his posts too. He was on the money with the analysis, not just the prediction itself. But really, any Trump winning rhetoric was clamped down in the political threads by the True Believers.

You're not wrong. But, 2020 will not be 2016, its a whole different ball game, Trump is that awful and there won't be Clinton. But yeah, that kind of cockiness that "lol I'm right and you don't know what you're talking about" should not be repeated again because I do feel like there was that kind of attitude even within the Clinton camp, that she had this in the bag.

If Trump gets reelected I'd be more disappointed in the American voters than I was in 2004.

Then the US can seriously fuck themselves and build a huge wall around their country and stop annoying everyone else.

Betty

Banned
At the moment that's what I'd guess too.

Look how the Democrats got split over Bernie and Hillary.

Now imagine far, far more candidates pulling voters in all different directions, while the conservatives vote for Trump down the line.

Of course things can change but if I were to bet I'd guess he'd win re-election.

Shauni

Yes, we already found out as such. I think the argument Renta was making is the effect they had on the election itself.

No, maybe now he tries to make that argument, but I remember how incredibly dismissive he was of the whole thing in the beginning when it was becoming clearer and clearer Russia had a significant hand in trying to influence our election. It was an echoing of fucking Noam Chomsky, like 90% of the stuff he says, but like I said earlier, it's whatever. Buy-in if you want.

rjinaz

At the moment that's what I'd guess too.

Look how the Democrats got split over Bernie and Hillary.

Now imagine far, far more candidates pulling voters in all different directions, while the conservatives vote for Trump down the line.

Of course things can change but if I were to bet I'd guess he'd win re-election.

Bernie really didn't split the party though. More Bernie supporters, like myself, voted for Clinton than Clinton supporters voted for Obama. They'll vote for the remaining candidate when it comes down to it. And even if they are less than thrilled, Trump wears is ugliness on his sleeve and at that point, for 4 years. They'll know what the alternative is, there will be no guessing at that point.

cakely

I just read this as an attempt to motivate sane people to stay politically active.

It's ridiculous to try to predict an election that's still three years out.

Betty

Banned

He won't be able to help himself, of course he'll run.

Though there's a chance he'll run, win, then step aside soon after to let Pence or whoever run the show, since he only wanted to win re-election, not go through another 4 years.

Bernie really didn't split the party though. More Bernie supporters, like myself, voted for Clinton than Clinton supporters voted for Obama. They'll vote for the remaining candidate when it comes down to it. And even if they are less than thrilled, Trump wears is ugliness on his sleeve and at that point, for 4 years. They'll know what the alternative is, there will be no guessing at that point.

He still managed to chisel off a number of votes for Hillary though. And I don't have any faith in people putting their feelings aside and voting the one candidate to defeat Trump, not at the moment at least.

rjinaz

Trump's #1 motivation at this point is very clear. He wants to destroy Obama's legacy. It doesn't matter that he hates the job. There is no way in hell that he's going to be able to live with himself if the Black man was able to do 8 years and he could only do 4.

US Left is too busy fighting itself to be successful right now.

If Russia really helped with exaggerating the division between Hillary and Bernie supporters then that was equally as destructive as giving Trump the rub. Dems are effectively taken out.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
All Democrats have to do is stop him from building a wall. That's it. The rest he will do by tweeting and saying nonsense. I honestly didn't think it would be so easy with full Republican control of gov't.

Vena

Its an interesting read but it pre-supposes too much to really let me take it seriously. Certain points I just don't see necessarily holding for all four years.

Still good to read and see the highlights of some issues that you may be overlooking.

Aka white people. 75% of the white people you know will vote for the fucker in hopes of lower taxes. And they fucking turn out and don’t have suppression and gerrymandering working against them. Same goes for virtually any gop candidate. Electoral college needs to go and if dems ever have a full majority again they need to axe that shit immediately.

Twice in the last 16 Years the presidency was stolen because of fucking white people in the Midwest.
cmon, white people suck but it's not that dire (unless you're in the sticks, in which case, my condolences). trump got 57-58% of the white vote in 2016.

Trump leaving office isn't the end all be all either (assuming Muller finds something and that he isn't pardoned). He'll still have Twitter, Fox News/Breitbart, Russia(?), and diehard supporters. Moore winning the Alabama Primary by acting as the candidate Trump would vote for shows just how much political/media power he has and may continue to have.

Moore has nothing to do with Trump, he's been doing this shtick for literally a decade now.

legacyzero

Banned
US Left is too busy fighting itself to be successful right now.

If Russia really helped with exaggerating the division between Hillary and Bernie supporters then that was equally as destructive as giving Trump the rub. Dems are effectively taken out.
Hard to argue with this. And yeah, it’s a shame theirs still a rift in our own party

MIMIC

Banned
Throughout the 2016 election, most analysts tracked the national polling, which failed to capture Trump's strength in key battleground states.

Trump has always been an enigma. Maybe pollsters need to just give him an extra 1 or 2 percentage points, just to be on the safe side.

-Uh, these two points are not supported by data.
-I know. Just go with it.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
"Third, despite dismal poll numbers, Trump enters the contest with a job approval rating that is certainly at least marginally better than what the current national polls would suggest. Throughout the 2016 election, most analysts tracked the national polling, which failed to capture Trump’s strength in key battleground states. Current surveys continue to understate his support."

Russia.

If you don't take their meddling, from bots to hackers, into account, I can't take the analysis seriously.

mj1108

What a dumb article.

Now you know Trump will get on this and tweet bullshit about how "it's unprecedented that a sitting President is the favorite to win the next election already" and "it shows how great of a job I'm doing".

Hurry up, Mueller!

The midterms aren't a lost cause but they are an uphill battle, the gerrymandering for the House makes it difficult to make progress, and the seats open on the Senate are overwhelmingly Democrats. It's not great, but every little bit we can carve out helps.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Another poster and I have been saying this shit and people respond with “joke isn’t funny, stop”

Wonder what they’ll say now 🙄
Congrats? I mean, if this is on track for re-election, there's zero hope left for this country.

Really though, during the election he won by razor thin margins after a final week bullshit surprise from Comey swung the election. While his oddds of winning weren't as bad as it was made out to be (as 538 predicted), people confidently predicting a win were full of shit up until that point.

He's not on track for re-election, but is certainly always within striking distance considering our better understanding of the current demographics, voter supression, Russia, and other factors.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Al franken warren 2020.

Franken is like a younger Bernie and warren is actually fairly left. Dems need to stop with this centrist nonsense and energize progressives who will actually be excited about their candidates and fucking show up to vote.

I could definitely see Franken/Warren being a sucessful ticket, although I do wonder if Warren/Franken would work better.

aliengmr

Dems are in no condition to win an election. If you're waiting for Trump to get impeached, you're going to be disappointed. And, the longer we go with no candidate, the worse it will be.

If the democrats win the midterms, which seems likely considering they have already flipped 6 seats in special elections this year, Trump is gonna get his ass impeached in 2018.

While this will be shit for republicans, Trump staying in power is also bad. When the president constantly blames and public shames republicans, it leads to even direhard supporters changing their alliance from the party to Trump himself. This has already happened according to pools, where generally has a higher approval rating than his party.

So getting rid of Trump will also, down the line, keep the Republican Party from imploding on itself, which seems like a real possibility at this point.

entremet

I dont think the world could survive 8 years of this. Hell I don't think 45 could with how unhealthy he is.

Trump seems to have hardy genes, tho.

He barely sleeps. He eats a fast food diet. He doesn't exercise at all. And he's made to 71.

Interestingly, he doesn't drink or smoke. He's been a teetotaller for decades.

He's gonna be one of those old dudes who lives a long time even with his terrible habits I think lol.

This is really premature given that we're still 3 years out from the next election, but the Democrats have given me little reason to have confidence in them.

I dont think the world could survive 8 years of this. Hell I don't think 45 could with how unhealthy he is.

He deals with the stress by spending a quarter of his time golfing, he'll be fine.

thread title almost gave me an aneurysm and maybe its still coming so it was nice knowing you GAF if the worst happens, take care of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom