• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POLITICO-The Blame Game Begins. Who Let Trump Get This Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

With less than a week to go before Iowa, the GOP's blame game has already begun

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/...o-let-trump-get-this-far-218260#ixzz3yPC9PQSB
With time running out until the first primary votes are cast, establishment Republicans have begun a ferocious round of finger-pointing over who is to blame for the party’s failure to stop Donald Trump.
The chiding, once limited to private conversations, is now erupting in public view – with campaigns, operatives, donors, party officials, and conservative intellectuals arguing over why something hasn’t been done to stop the man who has been leading nearly every state and national poll since August. Trump, many in the GOP’s upper ranks are convinced, would lead the Republican Party to an epic defeat in November, with consequences all the way down the ballot.

“This whole thing is a disaster,” said Curt Anderson, a former Republican National Committee political director and veteran operative. “I think I’ll write a book about it.”

Receiving much of the blame is Right to Rise, the cash-flush super PAC that broke records when it announced last year that it had raised more than $100 million in support of Jeb Bush. The group has directed relatively little of that sum toward attacking Trump – instead focusing its efforts on taking down Bush’s establishment rivals, above all Marco Rubio. To date, the group has spent around $5 million on TV commercials going after Trump, while dropping four times as much in negative ads against Rubio. The latest spot, which came Tuesday, hammered Rubio over his messy financial history.

Yet others say it’s unfair to solely blame Bush – and that Rubio is just as culpable. Despite winning the support of an array of deep-pocketed donors, including hedge fund manager Paul Singer and tech titan Larry Ellison, Rubio has and his allies have done little to attack Trump. Of the $33 million that Rubio and the super PACs supporting him have spent on television ads, none of it has been against Trump. He rarely tweets about Trump, and when asked about him in interviews, Rubio tends to dodge the question.

There are worries among top Republicans, too, that the RNC is abandoning its post-2012 "autopsy," which urged the GOP to reach out to minority groups or risk decades in the political wilderness.
Sally Bradshaw, a longtime top Bush adviser who helped write the report, blamed a "lack of courage in our party" for the failure to take on Trump, as Bush has. She called Trump a “bigot” and said he “couldn’t unite our party and bring women, Hispanics, and independent voters into the fold.”
“We won’t beat Hillary Clinton with Donald Trump as the nominee,” she added. “It doesn’t take a whiz-bang political data scientist to figure that out."
In some instances, anger has begun boil to over. Earlier this month, during the RNC’s winter meeting, Holland Redfield, a party committeeman from the Virgin Islands, rose during a private breakfast to vent to Priebus about Trump. During the impromptu speech, Redfield complained of the pressures to not speak out, saying that, “We’re almost terrorized as members of our party.”
In an interview, Redfield said that other RNC members had privately applauded him since his speech became public. But he predicted that, if Trump becomes the nominee, the party would face an intense battle between those who were going along with his candidacy and those who aren’t.
“It will be a major internal fight,” he said. “I feel the party has been hijacked.”

Sagroth

“It will be a major internal fight,” he said. “I feel the party has been hijacked.”

JQB7k.gif

Grexeno

No one is to blame, and at the same time everyone is to blame. This is the inevitable outcome of the Southern Strategy.

Averon

It is not damn complicated. The GOP cultivated an extremely toxic, easy to manipulate voting base for short-term political gain. Trump exploited that toxicity to be the GOP front runner.

If they want to cast blame on why Trump is where he is, LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

Dog whistling
Southern Strategy
Alienating themselves from the fastest growing voting base (Latinos)
Cowardice to deal with immigration
Promising checks they cannot cash (Repeal Obamacare!! Over turn Roe v Wade!!)
"Otherizing" everyone who isn't a white, Christian male

Trump is the result of all this.

Dennis

Banned
Unbelievable how out of touch with its own voters the RNC is.

The average Republican voter is much closer to Trump in outlook than to the corporate rent-a-politician !Jeb and Rubio.

Why act surprised when your voters in whose ears you have been railing against the government for 30 years decide they had enough of people that are part of it?

Atolm

Since the Tea Party's rise everyone in the GOP has been openly and blatantly racist and xenophobic. All of them. They're getting what they deserve and the backtracking of racist statements and the crow-eating will be glorious.

Frankenstein's monster here.

Or better yet, the dragon from Beowulf has come.

Anyone have any other really poetic or analagous comparisons?

I just want to know if the Republicans are going to Whig themselves again or what. The party is heading for a hard split at this point, on one side the Trumpers and Tea Partiers, and on the other what few actually sane humans remain in the Republican Party.

Guevara

It's weird though because hasn't that same strategy won them the House, the Senate and most state houses? And gerrymandering too, I guess.

rjinaz

Why act surprised when your voters in whose ears you have been railing against the government for 30 years decide they had enough of people that are part of it?

Well said. Most Republicans I know think the government is corrupt, lying, and incompetent. Thanks to the GOP. Guess what GOP? Your candidates are part of the government. They want no part of you. They want it all torn apart. You did your job too well.

johnsmith

remember me
We usually don't see this type of article until at least after the election, or at the very least until after he got the nomination.

rjinaz

We usually don't see this type of article until at least after the election, or at the very least until after he got the nomination.

There will be meltdowns once the voting starts over the next few weeks. And it will be glorious! Trump is so going to dominate.

dabig2

It's weird though because hasn't that same strategy won them the House, the Senate and most state houses? And gerrymandering too, I guess.

2010 and 2014 gave them some extra life, yes, but the long term prognosis is still dire for them. Their main base is only getting older and whiter in a country that's getting younger and more diverse. They only have 1 more midterm left in this cycle to take advantage of. The tea party was huge in getting them those gains but they've long since worn out their welcome.

And no party wants to concede the presidency 3 times in a row, especially when we're due for some new court appointments.

Ogodei

You guys planted the seeds for this when you looked at the John Birch Society in the 60s and said "that, that's going to be our ideological heart."

Rubenov

I just want to know if the Republicans are going to Whig themselves again or what. The party is heading for a hard split at this point, on one side the Trumpers and Tea Partiers, and on the other what few actually sane humans remain in the Republican Party.

Tea Partiers are with Cruz not Trump.

RPGCrazied

I hope the party implodes and takes Trump with it, and gives us Democrats for President and congress for decades to come.

Fat4all

Banned
The fact that they haven't dealt with it yet makes me think they won't deal with it until the RNC.

They can force an "on the spot" vote at the RNC, can't they?

I think the GOP are being completely morons. The thing started when the Tea Party started to be more like the American version of the Muslim Brotherhood. But then the GOP didn't care because it help them gain control of the house and senate with several Tea Party candidates winning their regions. Then when all this Tea Party nutjobs that don't even know the difference between deficit and debt almost brought down the government with the debt ceiling crisis when most of the cockblock came from the Tea Party and the GOP still didn't try to attack this nutjobs.

Trump isn't just an anomaly, Cruz is also another candidate that basically proves that the Tea Party has completely hijacked the Republican Party and the GOP did nothing because it serves their interest of attacking Obama and winning elections for the house and senate.

I would say they should sleep on the bed they so religiously have been unattended for the last years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom