• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: The president hints that he may call on McConnell to step down

The snake continues to eat itself

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/10/trump-attacks-mitch-mcconnell-twitter-241476
President Donald Trump declined to express confidence in Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Thursday and left open the possibility of calling on him to step down if he fails to get health care, tax reform and infrastructure legislation through the Senate.

Asked by reporters outside his Bedminster Golf Club whether McConnell should step down from his leadership post, the president was noncommittal.

"I'll tell you what, if he doesn't get repeal and replace done, and if he doesn't get taxes done, meaning cuts and reform, and if he doesn't get a very easy one to get done, infrastructure, he doesn't get them done, then you can ask me that question," Trump said.

Did any of the reporters ask him if he understands what his role is supposed to be to make all of those things happen? I mean besides sitting in a big truck every now and then.

kmax

If you don't dance to the Orange Emperor's tune...

...you're gone.

Of course, he can''t fire him out right. Perhaps he can smooth him to do it, though.

Durden77

Reposting what I posted in the other thread

Even though Trump is obviously an idiot that just expects people to do his bidding and nothing else, it's actually pretty incredible that he is calling out McConnell on this, no matter how much of a shit President Trump is.

He's right. They've had 8 years to bitch about this shit, and when it comes down to it, they can't do it, even when controlling congress, because they never had a plan. A bullshtter is calling out other bullshitters on their own bullshit, and it's kind of a glorious silver lining to pull out of this shitscapade

Also, not quite sure this merits a thread of it's own, considering it's pretty much Trump continuing to harrass and not much more.

ZLD7X.gif

JoeBoy101

Oh god, I hope he does. PLEASE do. There is no downside, Donald.

There is, for him massively, but don't tell him that.

Durden77 said:
He's right. They've had 8 years to bitch about this shit, and when it comes down to it, they can't do it, even when controlling congress, because they never had a plan.

I don't care how Republican or Conservative hard line you someone is, THIS right here along should make them give them the GOP the hand out of their sheer incompetence. The ONE thing they ran on, with a super majority, they couldn't pull off and hand NO alternative. Frauds.

Surfinn

I like how the right's strategy is to blame GOP lawmakers for things Trump repeatedly said he'd do on the trail. Simply because of the fact that he's pushing this narrative.

I wonder what they'd say about Obama if he blamed everyone but himself for his failures

DonShula

This is the upside to Trump being old as dirt.

He's so set in his terrible ways that he's incapable of learning on the job.

He will continue to attack and reject the people who got him the job, and eventually he will stand alone
in a prison cell.

Raven117

I'm sure asking McConnell to step down is totally going to make the GOP want to impeach you less, Trump

LOL, This.

Trump does realize that he can't actually fire McConnell, right?

Im sure McConnell just laughed when he heard it....Trump better be careful. In making enemies with Congress, he is just shortening his own leash.

The splitting of the Republican party continues. Slowly, but surely.
Its been broken. It was broken before the election. They tried to get it back together once Trump surprised everyone, but the true colors are coming out.

You can say the same thing for the Democrats in a way.

"I'll tell you what, if he doesn't get repeal and replace done, and if he doesn't get taxes done, meaning cuts and reform, and if he doesn't get a very easy one to get done, infrastructure, he doesn't get them done, then you can ask me that question," Trump said.

And if YOU get none of that done, Petty Tiny Hands?

Wait, you're not done with Sessions yet!

Nah, he is

Trump: You need to resign
Sessions: No
Trump: You need to resign, I'll give you this other post
Sessions: Fire me bitch it's your catchphrase right
Trump: What
Sessions: *360 windmill dunk* OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pull numbers may be low but, his support among his base is stupidly strong. When push comes to shove that's the people that will decide the next election.

His base is ~35% of the electorate, about the same as the Democrats' base. The base doesn't decide the election, independents/moderates do. And his support in that group has been in a tailspin for months. If he alienates independents, the 35% of people who will vote Republican no matter what aren't pushing him over the line.

GodofWine

The headlines the media (and maybe GAF) are using for 'what trump said' are really starting to cherry pick his words.

And I think he's a doofus man baby...but the headline is way more than he actually said...again.

Seems like a deflection from Trump's own laziness and ignorance on the subject and the process of getting a bill passed. McConnell (and Ryan) basically took and end run around all democratic norms to get this thing passed. And if McCain hadn't grown a spine last minute, it probably would have. Trump did nothing but make their job harder.

But, good. Put a Trump lackey in McConnell's place. They won't be any more effective and it'll further tie the GOP to Trump's idiocy and unpopularity.

Afrodium

Banned
Trump didn't understand that if he was actually getting involved in promoting the legislation he wants passed instead of sitting on the sideline and bullying members if his own party McConnell might be able to actually pass bills.

Not that I'm upset it's worked out this way or anything

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I laughed out loud reading this headline. Trump doesnt have the power or the clout to actually do this.

He could probably pull it off if he had the focus to do it. Failing to pass Obamacare with a majority, in such a shambolic fashion is a massive failure on the tentpole policy for Republcans.

Top Bottom