• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: The president hints that he may call on McConnell to step down

cameron

heqvil6.png

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/895733071219011585
https://twitter.com/senorrinhatch/status/895729283242393601

Nafai1123

Banned
Yes, please keep attacking Republicans and starting wars within the party instead of starting wars with other countries.

Kusagari

More than any personal affection for McConnell, there's one reason no GOP senator will back this.

None of them want the job.

kaskade

It's amazing that these people still back the president. All of these people are thrown under the bus by him and they just pretend nothing is wrong. I can see if they were able to jam their shitty legislation through but that's not even working.

Tigress

I hate both of them. Let them fight. Hopefully they manage to make each other (and the GOP) look bad while they do so).

Not

Banned
Small favors. I'm just scared of who he'd replace someone who's already the most evil politician in congress with.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'd laugh so hard if he did that. McConnell could tell him to go fuck himself and remind Trump that he doesn't get to control what Congress does, regardless of party.

Of course, that would require anyone in the GOP to actually have the guts to do so, and I doubt that exists. But it's a fun thought.

watershed

Banned
That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. McConnell was elected by his state. Voters can vote him out or McConnell can resign for his own reasons but he's not a west wing employee who will "resign" if the president asks for it.

Xe4

Banned
Oh god, I hope he does. PLEASE do. There is no downside, Donald.

There is, for him massively, but don't tell him that.

I don't care how Republican or Conservative hard line you someone is, THIS right here along should make them give them the GOP the hand out of their sheer incompetence. The ONE thing they ran on, with a super majority, they couldn't pull off and hand NO alternative. Frauds.
Small correction: they only have a simple majority. A supermajority would be 60% or the seats, which they're nowhere near.

Still embarrasing though, and I'm glad they're failing so miserably.

Megatron

Jesus Christ. A republican Senate. A republican House. And he cant get anything passed. And he doesnt see how that is his fault.

DrSlek

I was elected to be President...that makes me King of the United States, right? I can make everybody do my bidding and fire whoever I want!

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Please please pick a fight with McConnell.

If Mueller finds ANYTHING suspicious and recommends prosecution, McConnell is Donny's last line of defense

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I'd laugh so hard if he did that. McConnell could tell him to go fuck himself and remind Trump that he doesn't get to control what Congress does, regardless of party.

Of course, that would require anyone in the GOP to actually have the guts to do so, and I doubt that exists. But it's a fun thought.

He could get away with it, Trump is getting more and more unpopular each day. But at the same time, why bother? Mitch's seat is safe no matter what happens, even if Trump decides to back someone else to primary him in 2020. What's Kentucky gonna do? Vote for the Democrat?

Pull numbers may be low but, his support among his base is stupidly strong. When push comes to shove that's the people that will decide the next election.

1) It's getting far weaker

2) No person is elected from the base. His base isn't what got him elected, last minute swing voters are what got him elected.

danm999

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. McConnell was elected by his state. Voters can vote him out or McConnell can resign for his own reasons but he's not a west wing employee who will "resign" if the president asks for it.

President is the boss of country.

Boss can fire anyone for any reason he likes.

Or something

The thing is, he's loathe to actually pull the trigger on personally firing anyone. He usually delegates.

Shocking that he lives a lie on yet another facet, I know.

Still, it may yet again show he's frustrated with Yertle over something real beyond what was explicitly spelled out.

the GOP should just kick Trump out of the Party, LOL

He refers to Hill GOP as "they" now that the Ls are racking up anyways. Wonder why...

Unfortunately, 32%-38% approval is still too high for anything short of Mueller slapping down damnation in a report to getting Hill GOP to do any actual impeachment proceedings or kicking him from the party. We'd see "walking up the front drive at the White House" reenacted before any of that.

If there is any strategy to be found here, it's probably Trump trying to hedge his bets with his base in case something really bad comes down. He can claim that he's a victim of the swamp led by Democrats and McConnell. This lays the groundwork for that excuse.

jiiikoo

Banned
Hmm, who does the majority of GOP Senators and representatives like more, McConnell or Trump? Although Trump is the president, I'm still guessing the majority like the turtle more. So, good luck Trump.

At this point the Republicans will have gotten more done under Obama than Trump.

SensibleChuckle.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
At this point the Republicans will have gotten more done under Obama than Trump.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I like how he's talking shit about other people not getting shit done from his fucking golf course.

We're all laughing now, but it gonna get scary when all these "cuckservatives" get primay'd by even crazier wingnuts, only for the Repubs to hold if not gain seats in the HoR/Senate.

duckroll

McConnell wasn't elected by his state to be majority leader though. That's what Trump wants him to step down from right? He would still be an elected senator, but this is about party leadership roles. Party members asking for the head of their own leadership is nothing new. Doesn't matter if it's coming from the president or someone else.

Top Bottom