• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: The president hints that he may call on McConnell to step down

Ominym

Banned
I like how the right's strategy is to blame GOP lawmakers for things Trump repeatedly said he'd do on the trail. Simply because of the fact that he's pushing this narrative.

I wonder what they'd say about Obama if he blamed everyone but himself for his failures
Plays perfectly to his base though. He came in to "drain the swamp" and anyone, even those he once put his faith in, are the swamp. If healthcare flounders? It's their fault, not Trump, who by firing them is (in his base's mind) further draining the swamp.

There once was a speedy hair who bragged about how fast he could run. Tired of hearing him boast, Slow and Steady, the tortoise, challenged him to a race. All the animals in the forest gathered to watch.

Hair ran down the road for a while and then and paused to rest. He looked back at Slow and Steady and cried out, "How do you expect to win this race when you are walking along at your slow, slow pace?"

Hair stretched himself out alongside the road and fell asleep, thinking, "There is plenty of time to relax."

Slow and Steady walked and walked. He never, ever stopped until he came to the finish line.

The animals who were watching cheered so loudly for Tortoise, they woke up Hair.

Hair stretched and yawned and began to run again, but it was too late. Tortoise was over the line.

After that, Hair always reminded himself, "Don't brag about your lightning pace, for Slow and Steady won the race!"

Who do people in Kentucky like more, McConnell or Trump? That probably matters big time here.

They reliably, automatically elect Mitch but I've never met anyone here who "likes" him. He doesn't have that kind of charisma. He's been secure in the past because he gets shit done for the Republican Party and he brings home the pork. Trump has upset everyone's apple cart, though, even Mitch's.

gabbo

McConnell wasn't elected by his state to be majority leader though. That's what Trump wants him to step down from right? He would still be an elected senator, but this is about party leadership roles. Party members asking for the head of their own leadership is nothing new. Doesn't matter if it's coming from the president or someone else.
McConnell hasnt been going after members of his own party. He's been trying to court all sides to get shit passed. He's failed, but in his own way Turtleman has been attempting inclusion in the catastrophe carnival that is the GOP. They arent going to take him down for Trump. Yet

Ernest

Banned
Just a reminder that all this, and Trump still hasn't criticized Putin. In fact, he just fucking thanked Putin for screwing over US diplomats.

CdW2odiW0AAIV6U.jpg:large

I think this might be the best thing Trump can do. However, we might end up with someone who makes McConnell look like a saint.

I don't see how this will do anything. They still aren't gonna get anything passed. McConnell was actually good at his job, if it was supposed to be rally republicans and oppose democrats.

Slayven

McConnell will be in DC for another 150 years at least. He's not going anywhere.

it's as if he took the heinous mcmansion design and built a mansion with it. why?

I wish you were joking but Storm Thurmond taught us these folks live forever.

His base is ~35% of the electorate, about the same as the Democrats' base. The base doesn't decide the election, independents/moderates do. And his support in that group has been in a tailspin for months. If he alienates independents, the 35% of people who will vote Republican no matter what aren't pushing him over the line.

You are confusing dedicated Republicans with Trumps base. His base is much much smaller.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-base-is-shrinking/

During last year’s presidential primaries, Trump received about 14 million votes out of a total of 62 million cast between the two parties, which works out to 23 percent of the total. So perhaps it’s not a coincidence that 20 to 25 percent of the country still strongly supports Trump; they were with him from the start.

But 20 to 25 percent isn’t all that large a base — obviously not enough to win general elections on its own. Instead, Trump won the White House because most Republicans who initially supported another GOP candidate in the primary wound up backing him in the November election.

Jakoo

BIG LEAGUE LOYALTY

I have no sympathy for these mealy-mouthed Republicans that qualified and compromised Trump's awful takes/statements during his ascendancy to power. Mitch and the rest of these GOP figureheads deserve no better.

Top Bottom