• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Is the PS5 ugly?

Is the PS5 ugly?

• yes, also my beer will slide off.

Votes: 608 57.3%
  • no, i want to get with them curves.

Votes: 454 42.7%

• Total voters
Yes its Uggs. It will get traded in when the new hopefully smaller version is released in a few years. Or If the PS5 Pro is even larger and uglier Ill just have to hide it behind the TV.

Verchod

I do feel as if the digital version is the original design and was then adjusted to make way for the optical drive. The disk version is a little ugly

Mr. Nobody

I simply can't get around how people think PS5 is ugly but like that thing called XBox Series X.

And if you think I'm being biased see my posts on the PS5 reveal thread. I thought it looked like shit back then.

One was designed with an exterior to create an emotion while the other was designed to just disappear in plain sight.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Vick

Horizontal:
1494432823-sloth-goonies.jpg

Vertical:
Ana-Beatriz-Barros-Hot-Wallpaper1.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
YES. It's one of the ugliest consoles I have ever seen and Sony should have at the very least gone with a solid black color for the entire console and controller as it would be a huge improvement but just imagine how big and ugly the PS5 Pro will look in a few years. LOL. Of course, hopefully the PS5 slim will look much better when the time comes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s the ugliest console I have ever seen. It‘s hideous. The side view of the console with that massive bulge and the two tone design offends my sensibilities. I have never before looked forward to a slim redesign before the first one came out, until now.
Slim design is easy to do. Just have to get rid of the white shell. It looks like if you rip off the shell, it's just a black rectangular box like a traditional console.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ugly? No I think vertical it's very stylish but obviously wasn't designed to be horizontal.
It's definitely big

diffusionx

Gold Member
I simply can't get around how people think PS5 is ugly but like that thing called XBox Series X.

And if you think I'm being biased see my posts on the PS5 reveal thread. I thought it looked like shit back then.

Well, from my POV, I’m not buying a Series X. That said, I wish they kept the design language from the One X which is for my money one of the best designs ever. Still at worst the XSX is inoffensive, which Is far better than PS5.

LordOfChaos

Wanted consoles to be more generous with power budgets to get as much as we can out of modern technology. They did, so I can't complain now that the cooling takes some size.

It's a big boi, but that's the main element driving the ugly discussion imo. If it was the size of the PS4 Slim, would anyone balk at the design?

lachesis

As a designer, I'm pretty torn about it - but I actually like design itself. I'm not too educated in architecture, but it seems like it takes its design cues from modern architectures and buildings - ones like in NYC's WTC Cortlandt station (Designed by Santiago Calatrava) - the sweeping curves with fish-bone like ventilation portion of PS5 unit itself.

QSvjgdt.jpg

Also sweeping, feminine curve of later works of Zaha Hadid like this one

JrA1W1c.jpg

PS5 is indeed quite large. It's sweeping curve, with stark contrast of black and white, accentuated by blue led light on the vent screams out its presence.
I believe they made that front design wide on top and narrow on bottom, so that it would also look and appear slimmer, as well as more airy and light looking.
As a design for simply visual perspective - I am okay with it. It would probably look pretty awesome in contemporary interiors

One good example is this one.
Chittagong's beautiful setup

There lies its weakest point. The product design itself is difficult to match the environment - which would stick out and draw unnecessary attention.
Design itself as an object ? I have no problem with it. But as a console game machine that would get placed pretty much any other types of environment? I'm not so sure. It is indeed futuristic and all - but it's all about Sony's own screaming, with little regards to the people who would buy the system and their own homes.

I am much a tune to Dieter Rams like design of XSS out of all 4 next gen systems - mostly because I do believe "less is more", and I do take the his design philosophies are quite appealing - probably due to the fact that in my line of work, I have to show the viewers a lot of information in small, limited real estate in any given moment, Dieter Rams' line of thoughts are much more suitable. (Not to mention I like mid-century classic designs - personal bias, I guess)

Li0Nb2H.jpg

Understated and maybe even boring to some - but these type of design, can literally go anywhere and everywhere. Even Xbox Series X follows similar trait, but more monolithic shoebox. But yes, it fits the purpose quite well - and even if you don't like the look of it - it's so much easier to "ignore" it. Heck, if you put it under the TV cabinet horizontally & put some small amibos in front of it - you may not even notice if it's even there, if you just hide the LED light with black tape or something.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Still looks like a tonka toy to me.

secondly: Why do people keep adding their own shit to what should be a simple yes or no poll? Who the fuck puts their drink where it’ll get warmed up?

Yumi

It looks ok in the angle they put in the photo. But who puts there console at an angle? Straight on it looks weird and I think a bit "ugly".

AGRacing

I am willing to bet now those white blades on either side come right off. For those speculating I also believe that is how you expose the hard drive replacement door.

An entrepreneurial spirit would be looking into selling replacement "blades" in black or whatever other pattern or color people want.

hiro_x

I like the design, not so much the size. If it was at least the same height of XSX then I think it would be better. It's too big, but I'll still get it most probably the DE.

DonF

I love the design, at least this iteration. I bet that the inevitable ps5 slim will look better. This thing is too big.

Trumpeter

Neo Member
Yes, it is ugly and not a good case design. I wouldn't say it's THAT bad though.

However, I don't really care. I'm getting one for playing games on, not as some interior decorative showpiece.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
If it was black with blue lines ala PS2, I would have liked it more. Still, it’s my opinion they should have gone simple.

bender

What time is it?
I prefer a more minimalist/simplistic design but it's really not important. How often are you giving more than a passing glance at your media delivery devices?

Mhmmm 2077

Before the console was even shown, I was only complaining how ugly the new controller is. When they shown how the console looks... well, they're equally ugly, but I guess it could be worse.

MayauMiao

Looks like an air filter. It also looks a bit flimsy as if you can open up the cover like a book.

I say its ugly compared to my first gen PS4, although not as ugly as the PS3 super slim model.

Top Bottom