• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Out of the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X, which do you intend to get?

Which console are you getting?

• The Xbox Series X

Votes: 93 16.1%
  • The PlayStation 5

Votes: 312 54.0%
  • Both the XSX and the PS5, with the XSX as my main machine

Votes: 79 13.7%
  • Both the XSX and the PS5, with the PS5 as my main machine

Votes: 49 8.5%
  • Neither console

Votes: 45 7.8%

• Total voters

chilichote

First the PS5, and maybe two years later the XSeX.

On Xbox i only play the Exclusives - if they don't need Gold subscription to do so. Because of that i am not in hurry to get the system.

On Playstation is my Heart and i like the Exclusives much better - i think this will be the also case in the new Generation. The Multiplats here too, because of Friendlist, Trophys, better Controller (i don't like the asymetrical Setup on Xbox), PS Plus Subscription and my big PS4-Backlog, which I will work through on the PS5^^

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I have a real nice gaming Rig & ill be going with XSX at launch. I have my rig in my basement and will put the XSX in my Bedroom.

Which begs the question... Why get a PS5 when NO exclusives are gonna be ready for another yr or 2 after release?!!! If i was someone who did not own a PC, I'd clearly go for the XSX. It goes both ways.
The same will be the case with the XSX; all of Microsoft's first-party titles that will be released during the first two years of the XSX will be cross generational.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Undecided, but leaning towards the Xbox so that's what I voted for.

Previous generation I started with a 360, then switched to a PS3 for the better exclusives towards the end of the generation. So this generation I started with a PS4 as it had the better hardware, but fewer of the PS4 exclusives have interested me, they're all third-person movie games. Microsoft exclusives seem a bit more focused on gameplay.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
NeoGaf leans heavy towards PlayStation, that's for sure. And do we really need this thread? What was wrong with the other poll threads?

PlayStation is popular, no shit? Do you want to print the result out or something? How many of these threads are needed before you feel good about your purchase?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
NeoGaf leans heavy towards PlayStation, that's for sure. And do we really need this thread? What was wrong with the other poll threads?

PlayStation is popular, no shit? Do you want to print the result out or something? How many of these threads are needed before you feel good about your purchase?

That NeoGaf leans heavily towards PlayStation doesn't mean that there's bias, because NeoGaf could simply be representative of the population from which most of its users come, which I assume is the United States.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
That NeoGaf leans heavily towards PlayStation doesn't mean that there's bias, because NeoGaf could simply be representative of the population from which most of its users come, which I assume is the United States.

lol...

Look I prefer this place over the other place, and others still. But let’s not pretend that Gaf doesn’t have a reputation for being heavily Pro Sony. It’s not exactly a new thing, it’s well known.

To anybody posting, having conversation or a laugh, it’s fine... Until you ask a blue versus green question. Then you can’t take those results as a valid answer.

Is PlayStation more popular? Yes, it is. 2:1 in fact. But that doesn’t MEAN anything in the long run, and threads like this only serve to portray the SonyGaf narrative is still intact. We know for a fact that based on sales, Sony are twice as popular. But this thread paints the picture as 3.5:1 which is... misleading.

I dunno, these types of threads just seem to provide nothing other than a place for people to post they are buying something they already knew they were?

PS5 will be my only console this coming generation for mainline gaming. My PC is only a year old and its specs are good enough to run the games I want to play that don't come to PS5. I don't believe the performance difference will be enough in the end products to make enough difference in playing third party titles on the "inferior" console and I just don't have any interest in Microsoft's first party lineup. I do intend to pickup a Switch at some point but I'm holding out for the inevitable DSi/n3DS style relaunch of the Switch. Then I'll not only have the better version of it but I'll have a nice catalog of Switch titles to dig into.

I'd probably upgrade my PC over getting an XSX if I felt there were a significant amount of high end titles I couldn't play on PS5.

If this poll seems one-sided to PS5, is that really so strange? Sony's first party makes their console a must for a lot of gamers. They also won this generation hard, so a great deal of gamers are already invested in the Sony ecosystem. And ecosystems mean more now than they ever did. Back when PS4/XB1 launched, there was a significant exodus of gamers who "defected" from MS to Sony. Some of them may have eventually decided to get an XB1 later in the gen, but there's a lot of people that have been mainlining a Sony console for nearly seven years. Considering both consoles seem to be offering significant backwards compatibility (though admittedly, at least at the moment, Xbox is definitely superior on this front), making switching horses more of a headache. Digital libraries won't transfer, which is a much bigger issue now than it was during the PS360 era.

TLDR, PlayStation won the current gen, and the ramifications of that to people's gamer profiles and digital libraries mean most people won't change horses going into the new generation. IMO it's much less about diehard loyalty or love for Sony, and more about convenience.

Last edited:
Both for me, but with XSX as my main and PS5 won’t be on day one.

Basically all my games this gen are on Xbox. I also have an Elite Controller 2, and a Steelseries headset that’s designed only for Xbox. Most importantly, I have Game Pass ultimate and haven’t paid for game pass or Gold in at least 3 years. Microsoft Rewards is a beautiful thing.

I’ll get PS5 once some of the exclusives I want most are out and/or drop in price.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am tentative on PS5. I am PC / Switch now and have a dusty Ps4 and owned a launch Xbone. Last gen I basically said fuck it and bought both systems at launch because I could afford it. I don't want to buy the PS5 because I don't need it, but I probably will if I can score a preorder because I don't have good impulse control. It really depends on their lineup though. The PS4 launch blew. PS5 enhanced versions of the PS4 exclusives I have yet to play may sweeten the deal a little. New GPUs should be launching in the same time frame and that may be my priority.

Maybe we need a more comprehensive poll other than just PS5 vs. XSX.

pasterpl

Xbsex day one, ps5 pro after mid gen refresh and when there is enough Sony exclusives to justify the purchase

Both, but it will be like this gen where I go Xbox first, then Playstation. And my PS5 will only be used for Sony games, will play third parties on the superior Xbox machine.

GymWolf

If PS5 games would also be available on PC wouldn't you buy a console then?
yes of course, who needs a console if i can play all games on pc?!

but the fact is, i'm an hyped hardcore gamer, i just can't wait years (or even 6 months) to play my favourite exclusive like horizon 2 or gow2 on pc, i just can't, patience is not my strong suit for these type of things :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

microsoft release ALL their games at day one, not really a small difference compared to sony or nintendo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
yes of course, who needs a console if i can play all games on pc?!

but the fact is, i'm an hyped hardcore gamer, i just can't wait years (or even 6 months) to play my favourite exclusive like horizon 2 or gow2 on pc, i just can't, patience is not my strong suit for these type of things :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

microsoft release ALL their games at day one, not really a small difference compared to sony or nintendo.
Well I personally never play on PC, I'm more of a couch/console gamer. So even if I would have a gaming PC for some games, I think mostly I would still play games on PS5/XSX even if they are available on PC. But that's just my preference.

I get the waiting issue, I can also never wait, which is why I have an unplugged Kinect somewhere in the house 😄

GymWolf

Well I personally never play on PC, I'm more of a couch/console gamer. So even if I would have a gaming PC for some games, I think mostly I would still play games on PS5/XSX even if they are available on PC. But that's just my preference.

I get the waiting issue, I can also never wait, which is why I have an unplugged Kinect somewhere in the house 😄

same as you my friend, and that's why i play my pc games on my chair in front of my 4k oled tv with a gamepad, i have my pc connected to the tv via hdmi so it's basically a console user experience with the power of a pc, best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Pinktaco

Ps5 only.
I'm this weird kind of grown up, who has a familiy and other things to do.
I dont need a second console to play Halo/Gears/Forza.

samsrt_

Neo Member
same as you my friend, and that's why i play my pc games on my chair in front of my 4k oled tv with a gamepad, i have my pc connected to the tv via hdmi so it's basically a console user experience with the power of a pc, best of both worlds.
Sounds great but some people won't want or have their PC near their TV. My PC is upstairs TV is downstairs, so for some people like me I will always have use for a console even if every game was released on PC

GymWolf

Sounds great but some people won't want or have their PC near their TV. My PC is upstairs TV is downstairs, so for some people like me I will always have use for a console even if every game was released on PC
yeah, i never said anything against people with different arrangement than me, people can do all they want and enjoy their videogames how they prefer:messenger_ok:

Probably both because I can see the Series X getting superior multiplatform ports and I want to experience what I missed out on this generation. For me, the PS5 will be my main platform simply because they will have the best exclusives and probably the best gameplay experience due to its superior controller. If they are both out on the same day, then it will be a tough choice if the PS5 does not have an exclusive that isn't already out on the PS4, because I wouldn't mind getting a Series X with Halo Infinite and Gamepass.

Old Empire.

Undecided. Waiting for the price. Leaning towards the X for power, but a price difference of 100 Euros might just stick with Playstation.

If the price the same be buying the x.

Sony will take least 4 years to get going with big exclusives. Most of their studies have released games in the last three years, so you be waiting least another 4 years to see something new again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdo

Banned
Series X for now. But still waiting for PS5 reveal.

Also, jesus christ ANOTHER console war thread?......

-Troid-

Banned
Xbox because I haven't really cared for PS's exclusives since the beginning of the PS3 aside from MGS4 and Demon's Souls/Bloodborne. Not a fan of Uncharted. Last of Us is pretty good but not a system seller in my eyes (if you love those games than great; I'm not saying you can't). IMO most Sony made exclusives since the PS2 were more derivative than original. Jak and Daxter is an answer to Nintendo's plethora of Platformers from N64 era, Uncharted is a more linear/cinematic Tomb Raider, Last of us is a more Cinematic zombie game, etc.

And the games that did bring something new to the table back in the day like Resident Evil, MGS, and DMC which used to be synonymous with PS, have since gone multiplat. After the PS2 is when I switched to the 360 and got to play games in the aforementioned series anyways.

Also I prefer Xbox controllers over PS ones, but I could see myself liking the Dualsense. Really since the 360 my preference has mostly been down to controller preference since I would use an Xbox/PS as a multiplat machine mostly anyways.

And now since the Xbox SX will have the power advantage I'll be getting it to play multiplats and my old Xbox games enhanced. If I had a significant amount of spare cash to spend on PC gaming I'd probably go that route but I don't so the SX will do just fine I imagine.

Gargus

Banned
Playstation 5. And this black Friday ill get a new video card for my pc.

I'm not buying another Xbox. I always end up wasting my money with them. Xbox one s I never used since Xbox has just a few good exclusive games and I can play those on my pc. So I'm done buying Xboxs.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I kinda like the evolution of choices on these sequels of polls...the main machine part was a nice touch. I'm gonna say Xbox Series X will probably be my main machine as it should run most games better, but I'm getting both. Same as right now. I have an X...didn't bother with the Pro.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

I'll probably get both eventually, but my main purchases this year were upgrading to a 3900x and then it'll be replacing my 1080ti for whatever the 3080ti is (depending on price/performance of course). I'll most likely get the PS5 first, and then the Series X way down the road when it become cheaper.

yurinka

PS5 because I prefer Sony's (even if some of them are timed or console) exclusives and I have a huge PS4 library.
I can play MS games on my PC, so I don't need their console.

Vitter.

PS5 and upgrade my PC to play GamePass.
NJ98z8l.jpg

plus whatever Nintendo releases next for Switch.

Top Bottom