• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Sony Pony's 8 Year Old Son Wants an Xbox for Birthday?

Should I get my Son a Series console for his Birthday?

• Yes - Series X

Votes: 113 35.8%
  • Yes - Series S

Votes: 44 13.9%
  • No - slap him and make him beg for forgiveness to your picture of our Lord Cerny

Votes: 111 35.1%
  • No - Buy a gaming PC

Votes: 33 10.4%
  • No - Just Subscribe Back to GamePass PC on your POS 1070 system

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

CLW

So my son's 8th birthday is coming up and he mentioned perhaps getting an XBox for his birthday (after I told him we no longer had GamePass on my CPU bc we rarely used it). We already own and he plays quite a bit of "my" PS5 (as well as the old ps4/ps4 pro) and he occasionally plays the Wii and his Switch (although not often other than in the car on occasional long drives/trips)

I'm torn not bc of my fanboyism but b/c I'm not sure he would actually use it all that much. However, if I decide to pull the trigger I'm torn further on the X vs S. We'd certainly ONLY use it as a GamePass machine but the lack of power the S concerns me going forward. I've also been considering building myself a gaming PC so I could kill two birds with one stone that route. Or just resubscribe with my old PC and let him use that.

Eotheod

How do you have gamepass on your CPU? What magic do you use for this?

Also, if your kid wants something don't slap him in the face with your fanboyism, just creates more console warriors for a stupid fight. Show him the differences between the two, explain the costs and let him decide.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You shouldn't let them make decisions like this
A child's brain isn't fully developed until they're in their mid 20's ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But seriously if that's what he wants.......

just buy him a Playstation 5 instead 😏

Last edited:
Ask him if he'd rather have his own PC.
But if he’s concerned about “series S or X?” He’s damn sure not trying to spend the extra for a decent gaming PC plus monitor and keyboard. Not to mention it’s a kid so the plug and play aspect is appealing.

Just get him the X and then in a couple years he wants a ps5 pro or whatever get him that.

ZoukGalaxy

Kill It With Fire GIF

Or buy him a Switch, mucĥ more sane and safe for his age.

GIF by Leroy Patterson
video games news GIF by NowThis

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The ONLY game he played is Forza he plays a TON of The Crew 2 NFS and any open world racing game. He's also into sports titles.
I'd probably get an 8 year old a Series S if you're seriously thinking about buying him an Xbox and only plan to use it as a game pass machine. Especially since you don't expect him to use it much. If an Xbox is what he wants he may be disappointed to get something else.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What would be really great is if you could get a box from a Series X and put a PS5 inside it. Then when he opens it and starts crying, tell him that you have given him the greatest present of all: curing him of his green rat disease.

He's only 8 and probably doesn't 100% know what he wants. Find out the games he wants to play and go from there. If they are only on Xbox or cheaper there because of GP, then maybe? But that is a strong maybe. Especially when you are not sure he will play it all that much. Honestly, I'd stick with the PS5 and maybe get a second and simply add your account to it with PS Plus.

Topher

Gold Member
Buy him a Xbox One and tell him it will help him "build character".

I'm kidding. Get the boy the XSX.

Rac3r

I subbed to Game Pass recently (missed the 1:1 conversion so did the 3:2) on my Series X. I'm also subbed to PS Plus Extra on my PS5.

Currently, I feel like it's a waste of money to sub to Game Pass at $16.99/month ($204 a year), especially if you already sub to PS Plus Extra. If you have to sub, then use the conversion trick. The offerings are near equal on both services, and I actually think PS Plus has a more attractive rental catalog, as well as consistent quality of free monthly games. I only subbed to Game Pass so I could check out Starfield at launch, and in hindsight, I should've just subbed for a month or two and saved about $70.

Ask your kid why he wants an Xbox. If it's because he wants a game that's only on Xbox, or all of his friends are on Xbox, then those are legitimate reasons to justify the purchase. Otherwise, it makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
PC because it will have longer legs and he can utilize it to pursue other hobbies he may have as he gets older such as coding, editing, etc.

Rockondevil

I can’t see many 8 year olds I’ve met caring about a PC, they just want the ease of a console.

You haven’t got an Xbox so why not just have the console you’re missing and I’m sure you might get some enjoyment out of it at some point.

Get the X.

Sleepwalker

Get him one of those xbox one S all digital editions, pretend its a series a S and make comments to him about what a great deal you got and how you expect your son to love his brand new next gen console and what a good son he is, act proud.

simpson-lee-carvallo.gif

Last edited:

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I have both a series X and a ps5. To be honest, I don't use the Series X all that much. Once there will be a bit more exclusives worth playing for it, I'm sure I would be glad to have it though, but if I had known beforehand that would take this long, I'd never have bought one at launch.

However, think of it like this: once the exclusives start coming, you can play them too.

Buy a Series X, definitely not an S.

Last edited:
Top Bottom