• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Sony Pony's 8 Year Old Son Wants an Xbox for Birthday?

Should I get my Son a Series console for his Birthday?

• Yes - Series X

Votes: 113 35.8%
  • Yes - Series S

Votes: 44 13.9%
  • No - slap him and make him beg for forgiveness to your picture of our Lord Cerny

Votes: 111 35.1%
  • No - Buy a gaming PC

Votes: 33 10.4%
  • No - Just Subscribe Back to GamePass PC on your POS 1070 system

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Kids usually don't give a shit about your corporate fanboyism, they just want to play games on the same system that their friends play on. Why are you even conflicted? Buy the kid a damn Xbox.

Does he have a friend that plays on the Xbox? Know a few kids that seem to play the Xbox and they play whatever multiplayer game they can play together that’s on game pass

Zannegan

I mean, if you're going to get him a console, I'd go for the one he wants. I'd spring for the X too. You may as well get the better experience and have the option to play a physical game if you want.

Fanboy or not, it's not all bad: you free up your PS5 and get a chance to try out the odd Xbox exclusive that interests you Win-win.

supernova8

Banned
Tell him to play his Switch, ungrateful little shit
(also do not get him a PC, he's 8 years old let him be a child a bit longer before he ends up being sat on his computer all day like a zombie (we all do it, admit it)).

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

So my son's 8th birthday is coming up and he mentioned perhaps getting an XBox for his birthday (after I told him we no longer had GamePass on my CPU bc we rarely used it). We already own and he plays quite a bit of "my" PS5 (as well as the old ps4/ps4 pro) and he occasionally plays the Wii and his Switch (although not often other than in the car on occasional long drives/trips)

I'm torn not bc of my fanboyism but b/c I'm not sure he would actually use it all that much. However, if I decide to pull the trigger I'm torn further on the X vs S. We'd certainly ONLY use it as a GamePass machine but the lack of power the S concerns me going forward. I've also been considering building myself a gaming PC so I could kill two birds with one stone that route. Or just resubscribe with my old PC and let him use that.
Don’t. Your son doesn’t need to hoard another piece of electronics. He has more than enough consoles. I get capitalism and all that but you are not obliged to follow the same model.

supernova8

Banned
I mean, if you're going to get him a console, I'd go for the one he wants. I'd spring for the X too. You may as well get the better experience and have the option to play a physical game if you want.

Fanboy or not, it's not all bad: you free up your PS5 and get a chance to try out the odd Xbox exclusive that interests you Win-win.
But presumably he cancelled Game Pass for a reason, no? If he buys an Xbox he has to resubscribe and then he'll probably have to go for Ultimate assuming his son wants to play online (which costs more than PC Game Pass)

L*][*N*K

Banned
Or take a copy of Halo Infinite and burn it at the Jim Ryan shrine right infront of him so he won’t make such blasphemous requests again.

supernova8

Banned
Don’t. Your son doesn’t need to hoard another piece of electronics. He has more than enough consoles. I get capitalism and all that but you are not obliged to follow the same model.
Comedy Central Thank You GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

Reminds me of that Rich Dad Poor Dad book,
but in my case it's "Overly Generous but Deadbeat Brother, Financially Comfortable but Stingy as Fuck Brother"

The former's son has literally everything and gets bored of stuff almost immediately, the latter's son (slightly younger) still only has an Xbox One S with Game Pass but seems totally happy with it.

Last edited:

ryzen1

If you woul'd use it too, get the X.

If just your son is using it, get the Series S. He surely doesn't care about numbers.
And if he doesn't use it much, you didn't waste too much money.

Or just get him something else, since he already can play on your PS5 or his Switch.
If I would buy my kid everything she wishes, I would be fucking broke.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I was going to say to buy it. but if you know he's not going to use it, and you're not going to use it because of fanboyism. then it's just a waste of money isn't it?

Zannegan

But presumably he cancelled Game Pass for a reason, no? If he buys an Xbox he has to resubscribe and then he'll probably have to go for Ultimate assuming his son wants to play online (which costs more than PC Game Pass)
Fair point. My assumption was, if he's going to buy a console for his 8 year old, they're probably not hurting for money.

IF he's going to buy his son a console at all, the Series X seems like the best all round choice for their situation. *shrug*

Series S is gonna be satisfactory.

He likely has access too all systems and wants to test out xbox as well. Sounds like my nephew, has all systems but just plays on his iPad or mac for some reason.

So my son's 8th birthday is coming up and he mentioned perhaps getting an XBox for his birthday (after I told him we no longer had GamePass on my CPU bc we rarely used it). We already own and he plays quite a bit of "my" PS5 (as well as the old ps4/ps4 pro) and he occasionally plays the Wii and his Switch (although not often other than in the car on occasional long drives/trips)

I'm torn not bc of my fanboyism but b/c I'm not sure he would actually use it all that much. However, if I decide to pull the trigger I'm torn further on the X vs S. We'd certainly ONLY use it as a GamePass machine but the lack of power the S concerns me going forward. I've also been considering building myself a gaming PC so I could kill two birds with one stone that route. Or just resubscribe with my old PC and let him use that.
Tell your son that his going to have 99 problems but an Xbox One.

Does he have a tablet? If so why not get a GPU subscription and let him try cloud gaming for a set period of time? (3m or 12m etc) If he doesn't use it often you can cancel it after that period of time. If he does use it regularly then perhaps for his next birthday get him an xbox

Cyberpunkd

The former's son has literally everything and gets bored of stuff almost immediately, the latter's son (slightly younger) still only has an Xbox One S with Game Pass but seems totally happy with it.
I noticed this with my kids - they have so many toys they can’t concentrate on anything for than 5-10 minutes. So now no new purchases.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  1. If your kid wants an Xbox, and if you can afford it, get him an Xbox. Brand loyalty shouldn't come in between a kid's happiness.
  2. Having said that, kids are stupid and can make impulsive requests that they later regret. I'd recommend you sit down with him and talk specifics:
    1. why do you want an Xbox?
    2. How about a PS?
    3. How about a PC?
    4. Which games are you looking to play on Xbox?
    5. What types of games do you generally like to play? (what if his favorite games are third-person action adventures like GoW or Spider-Man?)
    6. Where do your friends play?
    7. Which games do they play?
    8. Are you interested in Game Pass or PS Plus?
    9. Do you like to own your physical games? (will help with S or X or PS5 or PS5 DE)
Show him YouTube gameplay videos of games he shortlists, so he knows exactly what he will be getting.

Once you have all the information, you can guide him better and then do what he happily agrees to.

Good luck. And you're a good dad for thinking about your kid!

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Fair point. My assumption was, if he's going to buy a console for his 8 year old, they're probably not hurting for money.

IF he's going to buy his son a console at all, the Series X seems like the best all round choice for their situation. *shrug*
Aha well yes that is probably true.

I don't have any kids so of course it's easy for me to say, but if he really really wanted an Xbox, I would sit him down and get him to talk me through the top, say, 5 games on Game Pass that he really wants to play. I might even say he's not allowed to play more than 2 games at the same time/timeframe so that he's more likely to finish games.

I remember one of the reasons I actually finished games as a kid was that I had nothing else to do. I guess I kinda worry for "the kids" (in general) in terms of ever deteriorating attention spans. Human race is going to be screwed in future if we're all binging on Netflix and Game Pass all day lol.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sell the PS5, buy a PC. There are countless PC exclusive games that are educational in nature plus you get the entire Xbox catalogue and most of PS5 catalogue. Not to mention 40+ years of PC gaming and emulation. Just endless possibilities.

Chastten

Banned
I'm gonna be sounding like an old fart here, but if he already has (access to) that many gaming systems, why give him one more? The kid is 8, he doesn't have enough money to buy new games every month so for the most part, each console will be the same few F2P/GaaS games regardless. This is how you get the current spoiled generation that has every frigging console plus a decked out PC at the age of 12, while all they do is watch YouTube video's of streamers.

Mokus

Highly likely that he has a friend who is bragging about his own Xbox, and that made him curious enough to wish to have one too. Try buying him temporarily a used series S and depending how he reacts you can decide what to buy for him.

sn0man

The ONLY game he played is Forza he plays a TON of The Crew 2 NFS and any open world racing game. He's also into sports titles.
I was gonna ask what games that are on Xbox can he not play elsewhere…. A new Forza is coming; and it’s one of the few right answers.

What about where in the house he likes to game? Does he prefer an office chair or does he game in the living room? That might help on the PC vs console thing. (It shouldn’t if willing to put PC in the living room.)

Personally with both console makers releasing so much on PC I really like the idea of a gaming PC. You could always buy him an Xbox controller to go with the PC if that’s part of his reasoning.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
if he wants one, anything else would be dumb.
gamepass is great for kids, since they can play a wide variety of games without cost commitment.
The "wide variety of games" is also a huge negative with kids, based on my personal experience with gamer kids.

1) They lose focus
2) They devalue games they got
3) They get overwhelmed by choices and end up not playing anything for any meaningful amount of time.
4) They do not enjoy the games they end up booting.

On the other hand, if you give them one good game and nothing else, they really play it and enjoy it thoroughly before moving on.

I play games with my 4-year-old nephew, and this is what I've observed, consistently. I got him Miles Morales and Fenyx Immortal Rising, and the kid had a great time, fully completing those games and spending weeks and weeks. He is still playing Miles Morales in my room as I write this. On the other hand, I downloaded a bunch of PS+ games for him and he didn't really play or enjoy any of them.

Apocryphon

So.. you have a gaming PC, a PS4, a PS4 Pro, a Wii, and a Switch.. and the 8 year old plays them all.. and wants an Xbox too.. but only to play games that are available on Gamepass.. despite the fact that you had Gamepass for your PC and cancelled it because you barely used it..

😂

Top Bottom