• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: PS4 can't view trophies offline

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/14/5103898/ps4-what-you-cant-do-offline

Uh oh

You can definitely earn Trophies while playing PS4 games offline, but if you try to look at your list when you've disabled the console's internet connection, you'll get the following error message:

[Connect to the Internet] is turned off.
(NW-31484-0)
There's no caching of data, either. Even if you viewed your Trophies and then disconnected from the internet a second later and tried to look at the list again, you'd get that same message. It seems that whenever you bring up the Trophy list, the PS4 attempts to contact Sony's servers, and it won't display the list unless it can sync to get the latest version.

Trophy DRM.

---

But wait a minute...

Are people sure that there is no 'offline mode' like the PS3 got?

Looking at the Shacknews video, viewing trophies offline works just fine (video at 2:05):

http://youtu.be/ZhFzDG_1Daw?t=2m5s

Apparently not the day-one update

It is true, though. Just checked.

ibBVNWr7649hW.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's an odd design oversight, but it doesn't sound difficult to fix.

DataGhost

Does this really matter? I mean, it kinda makes sense to me that your account is tied to the trophies. Wouldn't storing it in the harddrive just take up more space than neccessary since games already have to install quite a bit?

Tsundere

Banned
Probably just a missing feature (view offline as on PS3),and wasn't a priority. Will probably come in a later firmware update at some point in time. Not too worried about trophies though.

rSpooky

wobble, trophies.. If this is what is has come too , PS4is in great shape (not counting the actual defective ones)

DogMeat77

TrophyDRM will be the downfall of gaming as we know it.

I turned off my Trophy notifications on the PS3 and pretend they don't exist. I'm thinking about giving them a second chance on PS4.

jimi_dini

Just seems inefficient. Why not have an offline cache to speed up initial display?

They did something similar when comparing trophies on PS3. They always loaded them from the internet. Instead of caching it locally. No idea what they were thinking.

mattp

seems like a silly oversight
cuz obviously the trophies are stored locally. otherwise what are you syncing to the server haha

they'll probably fix this in an update

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This actually sounds like a good thing if they were cracking down on cheaters and trophy hackers.

I am in favor of trophy DRM.

Baleoce

This is really insignificant to me. I can see why some might be inconvenienced by it though. I mean, it's not exactly hard to just cache the data is it?

RotBot

Keeping offline and online trophies is what made the sync take forever on PS3. This is good news.

It didn't slow down the 360. If Sony is using the same backend architecture for trophy syncing again on the PS4, then they're dumb.

Top Bottom