• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon - Spending $60 on a video game doesn’t make sense anymore

thelastword

Banned
A Polygon article written by Patricia Hernandez?

OuUCl0b.png
Will read in a minute, who is she, what's her history?

For all of you who think it's so crucial to "own" your games, you really have three main game types:

A) Fully single player games
B) Fully Multiplayer
C) Combo of A and B

Realistically, unless you only play game type (A), you don't FULLY own anything. The day will come when the multiplayer servers will go offline, and your game will be either fully broken or partially broken. I still have a CD-ROM of Quake 3. Guess how useful it is? Makes a good drink coaster.

And if you only play game type (A), how many times do you want to play the same single player campaign over and over again? I play them once and I'm done.

This concept of ownership with digital media is a lot less black-and-white than people make it out to be...

manfestival

For all of you who think it's so crucial to "own" your games, you really have three main game types:

B) Fully Multiplayer
C) Combo of A and B

Realistically, unless you only play game type (A), you don't FULLY own anything. The day will come when the multiplayer servers will go offline, and your game will be either fully broken or partially broken. I still have a CD-ROM of Quake 3. Guess how useful it is? Makes a good drink coaster.

And if you only play game type (A), how many times do you want to play the same single player campaign over and over again? I play them once and I'm done.

This concept of ownership with digital media is a lot less black-and-white than people make it out to be...
It's ok Patricia, you are going to be fine.

Codes 208

I dont recall the last time Ive paid full price for a physical game. All new releases are generally $10 cheaper at walmart so Ive been mainly buying from them. (With the exception of digital releases.)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That’s not gonna be true for everyone. I just finished Astral Chain and I’m planning to do another playthrough with Platinum Ultimate difficultly and after finished Catherine Full Body I’m gonna do another playthrough for different ending and do another Route for Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Paulxo87

They're right. Forget the streaming angle for a minute.. It absolutely makes no sense. Especially for the single player experiences. I have simply been waiting a month or two to get the game for half off. The only game going forward I probably would pay full price for is last of us 2

Kadayi

Banned
The bolded is SO true! It's very odd to tell someone they are wasting their money on something that they themselves have determined is worth it to them. If we think it's worth it to spend $60 on Gears 5, CyberPunk 2077, Spider-Man, etc then what's the big deal?

It's as if Polygon is getting paid to influence the gaming market to go the streaming route or something.

The reason they're confused is that they get all their games for free through press accounts. The whole value proposition is lost on them.

Jtibh

Banned
And i agree but for different reasons.
Money is no object to me but i am done paying full price for any game.
All the games i bought at the end on ps4 are still sitting untouched. Since than you can buy them for half the price. There were just too many damn good games so i can never catch up.
As far as the netflix model well i think it will be the downfall of everything.
I just dont get it. Devil may cry5 is on game pass. You think at that point i will ever buy that game on ps4? It lowers the valeu of the game for me and i want it for free. Same with Outer worlds. And if everyone does what i do no one will buy ever any games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've found that I've put way more money into "F2P" games than I have $60 games. It all started with Happy Wars and it was all downhill from there. I caught myself before I went too far with Halo 5. I managed to stave off the craving for cosmetics on For Honor.

But then Warframe and Black Desert hit me.

I had to stop playing Black Desert. Just cold turkey. I needed a goddamn intervention.

Warframe is a much more pleasant experience, where they don't slap you in the face with Microtransactions and the accolades of others who you secretly suspect are paying to make that progress.

Petrae

What purely single player games don't have an end goal and somehow give you incentive to play indefinitely? Genuinely curious.

Any game with scoring as a progress tracker. Galaga, GORF, Asteroids, Space Invaders, and tons of other arcade games thrived on the concept of practicing to best high score marks. The Tony Hawk games— especially the first three— also relied on improving best scores to keep players coming back.

Games like Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, Diablo III, and Torchlight are also replayable even after “beating” them, if only because of the random loot drops that constantly change.

I also replay games like Bioshock and Final Fantasy IV, even through I know how they end, because I enjoy the games immensely and have a personal connection with them. I don’t consider them disposable.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

B) Fully Multiplayer
C) Combo of A and B

That's fine with me. Most of my games are single player games. And the ones that are option C, I'm okay with not having access to multiplayer after a few years.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That's funny because I have purchased NSMBUD (Switch), REmake2, FC New Dawn ($40), Metro Exodus, Devil May Cry 5, The Division 2, Days Gone, Rage 2, Ultimate Alliance 3, , Wolfenstein Youngblood ($30), Astral Chain, Control, GreedFall ($50), Link's Awakening Remake and just pre-ordered The Surge 2. Will also be buying GR Breakpoint, COD: MW, Jedi Fallen Order, Doom Eternal and Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts even though this is $40.

Only 2019 games I didn't buy were Sekiro, MK 11, Bloodstained and Judgment. Two I beat and two I didn't. Point being is that if anything, I would rent games before waiting months for a game that I want to play to go on Game Pass. The only two games that I have played this year via Game Pass is Gears 5 and the upcoming The Outer Worlds and ONLY because they're day one. I'm simply not waiting months just to see if a game I want to play gets added to Game Pass via it's respective publisher because Microsoft paid them enough money to do so.

EDIT: Just realized something that I tend to forget about. All these fucking sites get all the games for free via review codes so if I was getting all the games for free as well, I wouldn't pay for any of them either, nor would anybody else. These sites have the stupidest articles that don't even make any sense especially when consumers such as myself don't get shit for free.

EDIT 2: Wow. Just looked up that Patricia woman. Fuck her. She never discloses shit and has a massive bias. I wonder what she's not disclosing in this article. Seriously, fuck all of these sites. They all fucking suck and are full of bullshit agendas.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackTron

B) Fully Multiplayer
C) Combo of A and B

Well some multiplayer games are delivered in a more GaaS fashion, such as Overwatch where you can't even get to the menu without an internet connection and the game will change per the whims of the developers as time goes on.

I think games like that will have a pretty tough future, but many old multiplayer games still have player bases and fans because it's not so elusive for the community to put up a server. Lots of games work in a P2P fashion and need a server only for finding games/matchmaking.

For this reason when I buy a modern multiplayer-centric game, like I did Overwatch for $15 a few years ago, I realize I'm more paying for access to a service I want and I can't expect this game to be "locked in". I would not spend $60 on something like that.

On the other hand I have games I paid full price for like Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast or Starcraft 1 on PC and will never regret it. I miss when I could buy games in confidence like that but it seems those days are pretty much over.

Ellis

Online shops in the UK sell games for around £38-42. Was paying £30-40 in the 90s so the it could be a lot worse, to be honest.

Pretty sure my dad had to pay £50 for FFVII, though.

Last edited:

Outrunner

Kinda related. Just a few days ago Bandai closed the auth server for Puzzle Quest 2 on mobile. The game is not an online game. The game had no expiration date. I bought the full version. I can't play it anymore.
I'm desperately trying to get a refund from Google. I don't care for the money (it was less than 4 euros), but as a matter of principle: I was the rightful owner of that game (which I hadn't finish yet, btw). Google is saying "fuck you", for now.

It's digital so no, you were not the owner of the game you were the owner of a license for the game that was revoked.

I subscribed to the Xbox Game Pass and am very happy with it as I think it's great value.

But I wonder what I would feel like if a game I was in the middle of playing was removed from Game Pass. I noticed that a few games have been removed already.

Pimpbaa

I wish I was only spending 60 bucks on games. Fuckin games up here in Canada cost 80 bucks plus tax on top of that. No taxes when I buy a game digitally on my ps4, but when I buy a Switch game physically or digitally it's 92 bucks total (or something close to that). That price really hurts when it's a short game. Still rather pay that price than have a netflix like model and not own my games however.

Polygon shilling for you-won't-own-a-single-game-in-your-library streaming and game-pass subscriptions?

lol normies
That is exactly what I was thinking. What I will agree on is that there is no reason for a game to be $60 on digital storefronts. Even with the cut that distributors take they're still making more than what they were on physical sales. Those collector editions don't come cheap! You also have the Australians footing a good chunk of the bill because they're paying usually double.

Max_Po

Banned
It made sense when I purchased,

Gone Days, Uncharted, Halo 5, Gears 4, God of War, ... they must be in the 5th dimension when the head penetrates one's own arse.

wolywood

You can't agree with the article, because one person's opinion can't make something true. Consumers worldwide say buying a game at $60 makes sense.

Consumers worldwide said buying a $17 CD made sense in 2001, the year physical album sales peaked. Took less than a decade for those numbers to fall off a cliff. The Netflix/Spotify model as the primary method of playing and distributing games is inevitable, just like it was for all other forms of digital media.

Fbh

Polygon and even the whole subscription service thing aside. I do think the only reason to pay $60 anymore is to support devs/franchises you like.

Games drop really fast in price now. Sometimes they are already $45 after like a month, and generally $30 at some point (on some sale) within the first 6 months.

Unless it's one of the 2-3 games every year I'm really hyped about (or from some dev I really want to support) I generally wait a few months and get the game for $40 or less.

Reon

B) Fully Multiplayer
C) Combo of A and B

You can still play Quake 3 online mate, nothing stopping you from installing it and checking the server browser.

Kadayi

Banned
Polygon and even the whole subscription service thing aside. I do think the only reason to pay $60 anymore is to support devs/franchises you like.

Games drop really fast in price now. Sometimes they are already $45 after like a month, and generally $30 at some point (on some sale) within the first 6 months.

Unless it's one of the 2-3 games every year I'm really hyped about (or from some dev I really want to support) I generally wait a few months and get the game for $40 or less.

I think that's a fairly common approach. tbh. Some things I'm 'Day one' Other things, I'll wait for a sale/or see how it reviews with players before opening my wallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Consumers worldwide said buying a $17 CD made sense in 2001, the year physical album sales peaked. Took less than a decade for those numbers to fall off a cliff. The Netflix/Spotify model as the primary method of playing and distributing games is inevitable, just like it was for all other forms of digital media.

Lucky for us selling music albums is different than video games. The cost, size of data, and how we interactive with the data matters a lot here.

Top Bottom