• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon - Spending $60 on a video game doesn’t make sense anymore

CyberPanda

Banned
The Netflix model is here

It used to be, if you wanted a video game at launch, you’d pop into a store and set down $60. Maybe that store was brick and mortar, or maybe it was a digital boutique, but the expectation was always the same. You pay a premium, and you get to own the game. In 2019, the calculus is entirely different.

Lately, I’ve found myself debating whether or not full-on purchasing new games was actually the wisest decision in the face of a cheaper option. When Gears 5 was released, for example, my Xbox One offered two choices: I could snag the game for $59.99 ... or I could pay $9.99 for an Xbox Game Pass subscription and play it right away. I wouldn’t truly own Gears 5, of course, but I thought to myself: How long would I actually be playing it, long-term? Do I need to have Gears 5 “forever”? Couldn’t I just save some money now and buy it later if I really wanted it?

Plus, I thought: If I did get bored of Gears 5, Game Pass gives me plenty of other games to try. Or I can just cancel the whole thing outright. Lo and behold, I am now a Game Pass subscriber. Judging from the numbers hailing from the launch, many players seem to have undergone the same thought process I did. According to Microsoft, 3 million people enjoyed Gears 5 at launch thanks to Game Pass, making it the “biggest launch week of any Xbox Game Studios title this generation.”

Paying full price for a game has always been a foolish choice, of course. Without fail, seemingly every new title gets knocked down 10-20 dollars within a couple of weeks now, if not more. It’s also increasingly common for high-profile games to have rocky launches. And depending on your console of choice, game prices may be more or less set. Even so, the considerations that a potential video game buyer needs to make are shifting more rapidly across the board now.

Thursday, for instance, marks the release of Apple Arcade, a new subscription program where players can download dozens of titles for the low price of $4.99 a month. At first, I wasn’t considering adding yet another subscription to my repertoire — it already feels like I’ve got more than I track. But then I noticed that a handful of games I did want to buy on other platforms, like Sayonara Wild Hearts and Mutazione, were all coming to Apple Arcade too.

What makes more sense? Purchasing each game piecemeal for $15 or $20, or paying five dollars and getting them all? Needless to say, I’m patiently awaiting the launch of the iOS service on iPhone now. They’ve got me.

Whether or not this turn of events actually benefits game developers in the long term is yet to be seen, but we already know that even a full $60 can’t cover the ballooning costs of making a video game. Racing to the bottom line like this may seem grim, but there are apparent upsides. One developer participating in the Apple Arcade program tells GamesIndustry.biz that the model seems beneficial, because players are less likely to feel like they’ve wasted money on a short game when they’ve got plenty more to peruse after they’re done.

“One of the things that’s good about subscription in general is there’s no direct one-for-one value transaction ... it unshackles the finances from the experience,” said Ustwo Games’ Dan Gray.

I can already see the ways this value proposition changes the way I look at games. On Game Pass, I’m actively considering titles I probably wouldn’t have ever actually bought under normal circumstances. And if I find out they’re bad or just OK? Well, it’s not as if I spent much money on them, right?

This approach is consistently referred to as the Netflix model, but here’s the thing about the Netflix model. At one point, Netflix was my go-to service for curing boredom. Nowadays, though, while there are occasionally standouts like American Vandal and BoJack Horseman, I still often have to sort through endlessly mediocre content that doesn’t strive to be any better than it needs to be. The content doesn’t need to be “good,” just good enough. We haven’t gotten to that point yet with video games, but taking the model to its natural conclusion paints a potentially unsettling picture. For now, though, the savings may block everything else out, as far as players are concerned.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They are somewhat right. I used to buy games all the time and rarely did I actually play them then rather than 5 months later. Backlogs and IRL are things to take into consideration.

Dthomp

I'll continue to buy GOOD games that I WANT TO PLAY. Thanks for your completely stupid opinion Polygon, but I'm working on an article that will be read by only me that says reading your site is bad for my health. I'll spend my money on whatever I damn well please. Best part of my non digital future is that all of my possessions have value and aren't tied to an internet connection....What was I rambling about again?

nush

There's been very very very few games in decades that I've paid full price day-one for. I quickly learned during the 16bit age that games got discounted quickly or had an abundance of pre-owned copies. I barely finish any games anyway. I'm still not going to go full subscription mode though, I want the games available when I feel like playing them.

Petrae

Paying $60 for a video game hasn’t made sense for years now. Just wait six weeks and get the game for up to 50% off of the early adopter premium price.

The video game industry preys upon the impatient.

As for Game Pass or whatever other subscription service, I have a hard data cap— so downloading games often isn’t a reasonable option. I’d rather buy the physical copy after a few weeks and conserve at least some data.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Games drop in price so quickly these days, I've rarely paid full price. I usually don't buy games at launch anyway.

As a collector, I buy physical games whenever I can. I know I'm the exception, but I will fight a games-as-subscription model as long as I have the option.

And as Petrae Petrae said, there's the damn data cap...

Last edited:
Oh yeah. That one is insane.

It's not even worth debating. Plus it doesn't correspond with reality, take one quick look at Nintendo and Sony sales and you can see the demand is still there. Her thoughts do not suddenly mold the industry landscape.

Edit: that's not to say that waiting and buying games at a discount isn't a better choice. You should always get what you feel is the perfect cost benefit.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't pay full price for games that have season passes. They're never day 1 purchases for me any more because I know that at some point I'll be able to get all of the content for half the price. Also, there are just so many games out there that there's little compelling reason for me to buy most games on day one.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Offline media and local compute isn’t going anyway any time soon, and anyone arguing for the death of that model doesn’t understand what they’re taking about.

I believe Polygon were also the publisher of the infamous article arguing IN FAVOUR of the original Xbone’s DRM systems.

These people aren’t here to speak out on behalf of their readers or video game consumers. They’re here to generate ad revenue for their parent organisation while pushing whatever agenda they’re told to. This is an extremely pro-publisher, pro-corporate, anti-consumer, anti-freedom stance to make. I hope the ad revenue was worth the price the devil asked.

Last edited:

Yumi

Everybody has a different sense of what makes sense. Some people have a disposable income, some people dont play games often. Im glad we have more options now and I think games pass is a grest service. Bur there a certsin games that I always be ok paying full price for, and I usually do enough resesrch or just know my tastes well enough to avoid short lived disappointment.

Shagger

Banned
I'm very ambivalent about the article. What they say about paying $60 (or equivalent) for a game doesn't make sence with rocky launches and incomplete games becoming more commonplace. It also makes sense to say that these streaming services, as long as you accept a lack of ownership of games, do offer value for money.

There is, however, a colossal problem. This is an attempt to hand responsibility for the issues that game industry has from the publishers into the hands of the consumers, and that's wrong and cowardly. As the customer, you're right to expect a $60 game to work without months of patches. You have the right to pay $60 for a game that includes all the content developed for launch. It's not our fault launch day is nigh and the game isn't finished. It's not our fault the publisher/developer has overspent on promotion and has to fuck us over to to make the ludicrous profit they really wanted.

Polygon should stop sucking the industry's dick and actually tell the full truth.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Offline media and local compute isn’t going anyway any time soon, and anyone arguing for the death of that model doesn’t understand what they’re taking about.

I believe Polygon were also the publisher of the infamous article arguing IN FAVOUR of the original Xbone’s DRM systems.

These people aren’t here to speak out on behalf of their readers or video game consumers. They’re here to generate ad revenue for their parent organisation while pushing whatever agenda they’re told to. This is an extremely pro-publisher, pro-corporate, anti-consumer, anti-freedom stance to make. I hope the ad revenue was worth the price the devil asked.

🤔

Iorv3th

Her Argument is even worse when she is using apple arcade as her example and saying "instead of buying these games at 15$".

Never in my life have I thought of buying a 60$ game on a phone or even spending 60$ a year on phone games. But she is advocating in this model spending 60$ a year for phone games every year.

The last game that I bought on Day 1 was MGS4.

What? You didn't get MGSV on day one? Or Peace Walker?

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
LOL not even once.

XeW9yHe.jpg

This is why I don't like buying digital, its almost always a full 60 when I can find it much cheaper at Walmart/target/best buy.

Kenpachii

30 is my limit. Unless its something really special then 40 but it needs to contain all content from day one to day last.

A normal price where i want to try something out would be 20.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I only buy for support purposes day one these days because I’m not that impatient any more. Or Nintendo... Their games don’t ever seem to fall in value.

I don't like these subscription services for one simple reason, they promote the types of games that I don't typically play. This subscription model only fits GAAS games with microtransactions out the ass or cheap single player games, it makes zero sense to put a AAA single player game on a subscription service, the publisher now only gets $10 or $15 compared to $60 since you can finish almost all of them in one month. There's a reason Sony's games don't appear day 1 on PSNow like Microsoft's do on gamepass, because they make completely different games.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Honestly, it may be that I’m older now and have other things in my mind like traveling and work, but I prefer online and short games rather than over the top games like GOW, which to me are just too much and too cinematic.

I still go crazy for a great JRPG, but those are few and far between, so I welcome the new model.

Last edited:

Bkdk

For the most part yes, I rarely buy games at 60 dollars. However if the game really pushes physics/AI a whole generation forward, I can easily see myself spending 60+ dollars for a certain game.

spookyfish

Funny — years ago I decided reading/visiting Polygon didn’t make much sense anymore.

Pithy responses aside, I agree with the sentiment, though not because of their reasoning.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It used to be, if you wanted a video game at launch, you’d pop into a store and set down $60. Maybe that store was brick and mortar, or maybe it was a digital boutique
yes, that was two days ago for me.

im sure when you are game journalist you rarely have to pay for games at all. you get games free all the time and probably all your friends do as well. so there's all this extra money you aren't spending that goes to subscription services and good internet and devices and stuff. you'd rather be able to stream everything since you are always flying in planes and riding in taxis and stuff instead of mostly playing at home like people with regular jobs. streaming fits your go-go media saturation lifestyle. i get it.

i still prefer to own games.

Last edited:
Technically $60 is too little if you compare the costs to make games these days.

Sales are a big problem for developers because it makes people think games are not worth much anymore.

Basically the cause why subscriptions models and microtransactions are popular despite most people still saying they'd prefer if they could buy and own games and have all the features and locations included rather than having to buy them separately.

But people decide with their wallets.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I will gladly pay full price for a game I’m interested playing. Not only I like to play the game I’m excited about as soon as possible but also to support developers making the games I love. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

danielberg

Neophyte
it really depends on the game/person i hardly know anyone that wouldnt pay 100$ and even more if it means they could play FF7R right now or take dq11 that game has literally more worth than 60$ etc
Also what does lolygon even know the fuckers get the games for free

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I mean sure at most we should go back to $50 for each console like it was in the PS2,GC,Xbox days. Besides everyone does DLC nonsense pretty much and online cost money so why not lower it.
You kind of already can do $50 at Walmart in store for new Switch games I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a person like me that subscription model makes a lot of sense.
I never replay games anyway..

And I also like smaller scale and shorter games, and not those shitty time sinks games have become.

By Patricia Hernandez

Stopped reading right there
Indeed.

However...

I've been an adult quite a long time now. If there is one thing I personally find insufferable and try not to do to others is: preach about what you should do with your money.
Value is subjective.

Taking away all the Hernandez/Polygon/Corporate-shilling garbage aspects, this'd still be a piece-of-shit article because, unless they asked for it, very few people enjoy being lectured on how they should spend their own money.

It's your money. Do what you like.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Oooohhhhh
It's a out subscription services. I was going to agree with the thread title because I do agree that $60 is to much for a new game these days. Companies are happy to sell season passes for half the price with a completion time much lower than the core games completion time. Content wise, season passes have much less than the core game too.

Base game should be $40 + $30 for season pass.

Radeo

Neo Member
I thought this was going to be about raising prices to 70+ rather than subs

Not gonna get a game pass myself but as long as it's an option rather than the option I don't really care

Games need to stop being 60 + season pass though

ZywyPL

Banned
It never did to begin with - bare in ming games used to be 50$, the game that raised the price to 60 was MW2, which was heavily criticised for that, there was a real shitstorm all over the media, BUT - at the same time it was THE most hyped game of all times, so it got away with it, with ease actually. The only other game that could get away with 60$ pricetag at the time was GTA5, but somehow, other games followed, and nobody ever bat an eye.

And nowadays, we mostly have either a one-time, 6-12h single-player only games, which you can get on Friday, finish during the weekend, and sell on Monday with just a 5-10$ loss, or a 60$, literally beta-state, half-products (EA, Ubi etc.), and you need to pay another 30/60/120 and wait 6-12 months to get it into full state...

It's really damn hard nowadays to find a game with a justfied 60$ price. Again, as much as people hate on Activision being supposedly greedy, you do get a polished, AAA SP campaign, a most robust, content-filled MP out there, and a Co-op mode, which barely exists in any other game -all that package for the same 60$. And it all (mostly) works since day one, if not it gets patched very quickly. You can dislike CoD's gameplay, setting, story etc., like I do, but you can't deny it's value proposition.

Witcher 3, another game that clearly deserves it's price tag, we can even agree it wouldn't be much of an issue if it cost 80$, right? CP2077, GTA6, those games will unboubtly worth their price as well. But such games/developers are almost non-existent nowadays, and honestly? Who cares? As long as people keep buying 60$ unfinished, faulty half-products, the saga continues.

The publishers will obviously blame the development costs, which is arguable to say the least, and I won't be surprise at all if next-gen titles will bump the price even higher.

LOL not even once.

That was an article to be easily written off as "I missed nothing"
The opinion of that person is equivalent to quick passing fart during high winds.. These youngins know shit about game costs. I paid close to 80 bucks for Chrono trigger. 70 bucks for SMB3. (several weeks allowance and chore money from parents and Grandmother) I could go on. But 60 bucks isn't much. I'd be more surprised if games went UP in cost.

Top Bottom