• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Updates Battlefield 4 PS4/XB1 Review Score: 7.5 -> 4

Uhh... I mean, good on them for acknowledging the problems? That isn't the issue.

The problem is reviewing a game complete with a score. Reviews, by definition, have finality to them. A lot of people who saw the original review and score likely bought the game already. This doesn't help them.

it all comes off as Metacritic tomfoolery to me.

Exactly. If the game is broken at launch then START with a low score and go up from them.

Since they can't properly review the multiplayer until release, they should only do campaign reviews until then (and no score). Getting hit on Metacritic is the only way publishers are gonna learn to ship working games.

It is a problem. But I don't really know what options there are given game development practices. Not post any reviews till a week or two after release? Review it as if the pre release code is it and thus every game with online probably should get a 4 or less?

Maybe that would encourage publishers to wait till shits ready, I don't know.

GiantBomb figured out a way to remain relevant without having to review everything under the sun on day one. But those guys have generally likeable personalities and people will tune in to watch them play a fucking Farm Simulator. Most other game reviewers either have the personality of a cardboard box or come across as cynical, abrasive jerks. I don't know what the answer to breaking this shitty cycle is, what I do know is that as more and more time goes on, and gamers would rather watch some kid play a game on TWITCH or watch a Let's Play on YouTube to decide if they should buy a game rather than reading your glorified press release masquerading as a review, and the games media/journalist/review industry collapses, they will only have themselves to blame. Hopefully some of those cozy PR relationships they've been so hell bent on cultivating can land them jobs in the industry.

JABEE

Thanks for waiting until after plenty of people already bought it. Maybe you shouldn't have issued out that original review score to begin with.
Ding Ding Ding.

And the Metacritic score is unchanged.

1. Give Publisher benefit of the doubt to ensure relationship
2. Give review score that can't be changed on metric PR uses to determine their bonuses.
3. Change score later. Ensure credibility without having to ruffle any feathers.

Thaster

If patches are going to be released within the next couple of days to fix issues, why didn't he just wait for those patches to be released before updating the review score?

+Aliken+

Regardless of the change in score it is hard not to see how they have fucked up BF4 and yet people still buy EA games...

Bsigg12

When it's not crashing, playing 64 players on the Xbox One version is great. I'm annoyed by the constant crashing so I completed the campaign today, need to redo the last mission 2 more times for the other guns, but will be sitting out on multiplayer for a little to avoid the frustration.

DSmalls84

I was considering getting bf4 prior to the ps4 launch but decided to get ghosts based on what I read on gaf about bf4. Glad I got ghosts instead.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
My Dad's PC didn't have stability issues. But horribly dumb performance issues that were resolved with some cfg file settings. Increased the average framerate by 50% and eliminated bursty frame latency with a few settings and installing a DX redist that they installed to disk but didn't run post game install. Got them from gaf; seems the dev team simply had 0 time to do PC specific work and released the most tested thing from a much earlier build/dx run-time. I imagine a future patch will do the same tweaks after they've had time to test post holidays. Oh, accelerated schedules and a dozen platforms...

Margalis

Banned
I hate the growing trend of releasing unfinished and/or buggy games and fixing them later.

How do you feel about the trend of giving them good review scores then revising those scores lower only after everyone has already spent their money?

Mononoke

Banned
Just as I read this, my game crashed on X1. Was one of the best games of my life too. Had 20 kills and only one death. With only 10 kills left for the game to end BOOM CRASH.

Want to weep.

I'm one of the few people who hasn't had any real problems on PC, but man reading about the issues people are having is sad. The game is messed up.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
kowpyo967u1z.gif

see5harp

I thought this would be a positive thread where we all rally against a shitty product. Let us also talk about how shitty video recording is also. Last night hit share after 4 straight melees and to my dismay no recording. Even when recording somehow works, no sound. Not sure who to blame for that shit.

I've had one crash(in single player) and one lost save(2/3s through single player). Paid $100 for the game(with Premium). And STILL think this is, or will be once its fully patched, the best shooter we've yet to see on consoles.

No .5 advantage for the console version with better framerate?

Thougt that was a thing now...

Only if that console has worse image quality and resolution as a caveat. If your preferred console's version has better graphics overall (i.e., better image quality, resolution, and framerate), then it deserves no such praise because "if you're so concerned about graphics, why not get the superior PC version?"

Mononoke

Banned
I thought this would be a positive thread where we all rally against a shitty product.

The game has so much potential. When it works, I love it. As someone that grew tired of COD a couple iterations ago, I've always enjoyed BF. Even if they took some steps backwards with 3 and 4. When it works on X1 it's a lot of fun.

It's a damn shame they released this product when it's so unstable.

Syf

Banned
How do you feel about the trend of giving them good review scores then revising those scores lower only after everyone has already spent their money?
Equally disgusting if not more so. I think they have a responsibility to their readers and some sites honor that more than others.

And STILL think this is, or will be once its fully patched, the best shooter we've yet to see on consoles.
Maybe we need two scores. One for what it feels like and one for what it actually is.

Or take a page from the RPG and loot game playbook and show the review score with another number in parenthesis showing the (launch hype) buffs in effect.

So Battlefield 4 would be a 7.5 (+3.5)

see5harp

The game has so much potential. When it works, I love it. As someone that grew tired of COD a couple iterations ago, I've always enjoyed BF. Even if they took some steps backwards with 3 and 4. When it works on X1 it's a lot of fun.

It's a damn shame they released this product when it's so unstable.

I have some of the same opinions and I'm playing on ps4. I'm talking about people coming in and saying "well the broken garbage version I'm playing should have scored higher hurrrrrr hurrr durr."

Ricker

If patches are going to be released within the next couple of days to fix issues, why didn't he just wait for those patches to be released before updating the review score?

Why didnt they wait to release the game patched then instead of sending a buggy piece of shit to consumers and reviewers...for once I agree with Polygon.

Marvel

could never
Ouch... to a 4? I have my XB1 copy but no console yet so I don't know how bad it is. Kinda worried, hope the patches make it playable when I get round to it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Are these updates reflected in the metascore? they'd be worthless in the grand scheme if they weren't— publishers remain happy while game publications can seemingly maintain a shred of integrity.

Steel

Banned
With sim city. Also yes, Dice releases a semi broken game everytime they launch. Mirrors Edge is probably the one exception.

As an owner of both BF 4 and Sim city, I can honestly say Sim city's launch was 10 times worse. BF 4 is bad but Sim City was a complete disaster that even EA saw that they had to solve but giving out free games to the players to save face.

I asked how a barely playable game got a 4. Crecente responded with a link to their review guide.

Fours fail completely in one of three ways: design, execution or basic functionality — or they fail a fair amount in all of them.

I think it fits a bit better with their description provided for the score of one.

A score of one indicates that Polygon review staff believe said game doesn’t properly function. Most reasonable people will not be able to finish a game with a score of one due to massive technical, design, and execution problems.

Considering the game crashes, deletes your single player campaign game save, and also deletes your progress in multiplayer, I think a one at this point is deserved. Thoughts?

Edit: Also asked them to do an article about review events, since Battlefield 4 was reviewed by most outlets at such an event.

Saty

Review-updating policy is a must for today's industry. Every review site should employ it. However, when a game is focused on MP, sites simply mustn't issue reviews that aren't based on actual play in the conditions people who buy it do. BF4 and its ilk shouldn't be reviewed at all before launch.

see5harp

As an owner of both BF 4 and Sim city, I can honestly say Sim city's launch was 10 times worse. BF 4 is bad but Sim City was a complete disaster that even EA saw that they had to solve but giving out free games to the players to save face.

I'm not sure whether getting to play something only to lose all progress or not getting to play something at all is worse. It's like getting a lap dance vs. not getting in the strip club to begin with. In both cases I end up home holding my own dick while EA sits in the penthouse with their hookers, cocaine and caviar.

Considering the game crashes, deletes your single player campaign game save, and also deletes your progress in multiplayer, I think a one at this point is deserved. Thoughts?
Makes me wonder, of all the people who started the campaign, or got a few levels in, how many completed it? Might be able to determine that from trophy rarity.

AppleMIX

I feel a review should be made under ideal working conditions and have a annotation telling about server status, on going bugs and other issues etc...

Changing the score is just fucking sloppy.

Afrikan

I own the PS4 version and have been booted out 2 times since owning the game. Outside of that, zero issues.

weird, same here as well on PS4.

I don't have the best internet connection (7mbs- 9mbs)..and I play on wireless (ordered powerline adapter).

I haven't many issues, besides the first few days after launch when Conquest wasn't working.

I'm not playing this game alot though so I don't want to act like I represent the majority. I'm balancing this game with about 5 other games.

jaydogg691

I've been playing this game on PS4 since the patch when up and had no problems so far. Other than geometry and textures not loading up at the start of some matches I haven't had any disconnects or bad lag. I've been play mostly TDM sometimes jump into conquest. I would like too see some videos of the problems going on with game.

As for changing, I think it's dumb.

EL CUCO

I'm not sure whether getting to play something only to lose all progress or not getting to play something at all is worse. It's like getting a lap dance vs. not getting in the strip club to begin with. In both cases I end up home holding my own dick while EA sits in the penthouse with their hookers, cocaine and caviar.
1397.gif

Top Bottom