• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon/Verge writer says Naughty Dog staff said inappropriate things to her (quote)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's almost like sexual harassment is 100 percent unwarranted and doesn't need to be
"brought on" by the victim. I know, it's a very hard concept to grasp.
It depends on how much of shitbag that said person is.

Briarios

The number of people that seem to believe that a woman has to have done something to invite sexual harassment is staggering.

Krayz

... You don't see the difference between this and a court of law? Wow. You know, legally, there are a ton of ways a company can legally rip you off. It's only the court of public opinion that changes their behavior.

Under federal law, it's illegal to terminate someone for filing a complain. He should have filed a retaliation claim against ND/Sony with OSHA, he doesn't even need to have any written evidence an oral complaint to ND/Sony would still be valid. The catch is this

"Complaints must be reported to OSHA within set timeframes following the retaliatory action, as prescribed by each law."

Don't know what the timeframe is. 30 days.

EDIT: https://www.whistleblowers.gov/index.html

You know what, I wonder how many employees even read up on their employee rights.

I hope to god you never get chosen as part of a jury. You could get an innocent person locked up behind bars.
Except a jury is presented evidence to help the jury decide on guilt or innocence. You don't have to believe the story but a lot of people are on the other side with hostility saying it was probably a "joke", not at work or something else that puts her to blame.
That's a bit below the belt and unprofessional.
But I ain't gonna believe a ND employer randomly said this out the blue, there was obviously more to the conversation than "hi I'm a reporter"
Or are we supposed to believe thats the case.
The comment is both spiteful and in anger which suggests a question was made in response to information they had and it's unlikely it was regarding their next game.
It's still wrong but you would think the employer would be more careful with what they say in this day and age where everyone is a target and people will only see one thing.
You don't know these people. How could you just decide to deny someone would say something like this? Is it just because you enjoy their products and don't want to believe it? Look around at what is coming out involving things like this. People can be total scum bags, especially in an industry where women are often held down and easily taken advantage of.

i can the context if she just mentioned how she fucked half of Gearbox a few weeks ago

other than that ...
Fuck.

I can't.

I've spent fifteen years working in film production and games. Some off-the-cuff observations:

-In 99% of cases, game dev environments are extremely insular sausage fests of extremely smart, focused, oblivious young men. Intense cliquing results.

-Game dev environments are stocked with men with a surplus of ego and technical skills, and a shortage of social skills. Particularly in senior/lead positions. (sorry guys.)

-The unspoken rule is *never* go to HR if you're experiencing harassment or abuse from a high-level developer. They will side with the more 'valuable' abuser every time and your on-the-job life will become hell.

-Film production has far more women in the workplace than gaming/software development, and has more of a high-pressure 'barracks sexuality' environment where coworkers tend to have casual sex and date more as a matter of course. This frequently spills over into inappropriate advances, especially when the power dynamics of positions comes into play.

-It's messy out there.

Neptonic

What is she trying to accomplish here? Why not just go to ND's HR and tell them about this incident and let them suspend/fire the employee? Now, if she actually did that and HR and the heads of ND told her to F off, then I can understand a post like that.

why would someone talk to HR if they don't work there?

i can the context if she just mentioned how she fucked half of Gearbox a few weeks ago

other than that ...

also what the fuck

brian!

Anyone who has worked in a large corporate culture probably understands why this stuff is probably a lot more commonplace than we all like to pretend. I've personally been harassed by a female boss for more than a year. I get massive anxiety every time I hear her walking buy, terrified that today will be the day she makes a false report to the floor manager about me and I could lose my job. I can't go to HR, as I know they would side with my harasser because she is more "valuable" and my company even makes a public point of how it is the best one for women in its industry. Of course they won't say it, but I've seen them let go dozens of my coworkers this year alone who go who make any complaint, because in the market for my field, entry level jobs are so rare that there are hundreds of applicants for single openings. We are simply too expendable. They already don't care when they give us 1 less hour a month than the required to get health benefits, or makes us come in "voluntarily" on every holiday without overtime or holiday pay. Why would they care about harassment?

So basically harassers enjoy a culture of impunity, so I'm not surprised they act like this to people outside of their control as well, as happened to this reporter. They are used to saying and doing whatever they feel like with no blowback. And 99% of the time, they do get away with it. Everything we are seeing surface about this type of stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.

Yes, and it's upsetting that these cases often focus on specific perpetrators, as if excising them will remove the sickness from the environment when the environment is an incubator for the sickness. No one should feel this way at work.

You can tell a lot of the "go to hr!" ppl are out of their element

TGO

The number of people that seem to believe that a woman has to have done something to invite sexual harassment is staggering.
General Sexual harassment needs no motive
What was said was said to hurt and degrade.
That's not random, and it doesn't mean the victim is to blame.
The ND employer maybe just a piece of shit.
"It's ok, she gave Uncharted 4 a 8.5"
I meant the ND employer

other than that ...

Let me put this bluntly for you:
Even if she did fuck literally every person working for Gearbox as well as Mojang in a huge gang-bang the comment from the ND employee would STILL count as sexual harrassment and be just as inappropriate.

shiba5

That's not even a "joke" I'd make even if I had a strong rapport with someone, let alone someone I just met that introduced themselves to me in a professional manner. People are crazy man.

Yes, thank you.
This is not a joke. It's just another way to demean a woman's accomplishments. When a manager made that "joke" to me, it was like all my hard work, my accomplishments meant absolutely nothing because I was still just a sex object to him. It was completely humiliating and I wanted to cry.

Instead I got him fired.

TGO

other than that ...
Seriously?
Even if she did, that's none of his business and he should of been professional and keep that shit to himself.

Mael

I meant the ND employer

My mistake.
We know that the ND employee is a piece of shit because of the comment he made.
The 1 way he could be anything but a piece of shit is he never did say what is alleged.

Fliesen

Let me put this bluntly for you:
Even if she did fuck literally every person working for Gearbox as well as Mojang in a huge gang-bang the comment from the ND employee would STILL count as sexual harrassment and be just as inappropriate.

I mean, i know you're just trying to make a point (that i don't disagree with), but i don't think Ms. Farokhmanesh would appreciate you defending her, while at the same time being this graphic and crude. :/

What do you mean what?
You don't wanna know why someone would say that?
Was he just a prick, did he have something against the website or her.
Was something said for him to respond in that manner?
or did he just walk up to her and said that?
Why can't someone ask for more info on here without someone jumping on them because they haven't gotten their pitchforks out yet.
I question stuff, Everyone should.
Not looking for the full picture is how mistakes are made.

There's asking questions and then there's trying to find a hidden agenda and going out of your way to discredit or doubt a story that is simply very much believable, especially looking at all those recent revelations in various industries.

This is unfair to no end! People like this exist at all companies. Right now ND is in the limelight, so people are telling their stories about that company.

But don't delude yourself into thinking it's only or mainly them alone that have these people.

What's unfair? towards whom?
Who is claiming it's "only or mainly them"?
Nobody is making that claim. Nobody is saying "mainly Naughty Dog", what's bothering some is that it's "even Naughty Dog"

HotHamBoy

I can't tell if some of you people are really this thick or if you are just being willfully obstinate.

But it's one of the two.

I mean, i know you're just trying to make a point (that i don't disagree with), but i don't think Ms. Farokhmanesh would appreciate you defending her, while at the same time being this graphic and crude. :/
Their point was that no matter what SHE chooses to do, it does not give someone the right to say something like that to her.

EDIT: You might get the point, but it seems obvious others need help.

shiba5

Anyone who has worked in a large corporate culture probably understands why this stuff is probably a lot more commonplace than we all like to pretend. I've personally been harassed by a female boss for more than a year. I get massive anxiety every time I hear her walking buy, terrified that today will be the day she makes a false report to the floor manager about me and I could lose my job. I can't go to HR, as I know they would side with my harasser because she is more "valuable" and my company even makes a public point of how it is the best one for women in its industry. Of course they won't say it, but I've seen them let go dozens of my coworkers this year alone who go who make any complaint, because in the market for my field, entry level jobs are so rare that there are hundreds of applicants for single openings. We are simply too expendable. They already don't care when they give us 1 less hour a month than the required to get health benefits, or makes us come in "voluntarily" on every holiday without overtime or holiday pay. Why would they care about harassment?

So basically harassers enjoy a culture of impunity, so I'm not surprised they act like this to people outside of their control as well, as happened to this reporter. They are used to saying and doing whatever they feel like with no blowback. And 99% of the time, they do get away with it. Everything we are seeing surface about this type of stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I second the suggestion of keeping a log.
It makes it much harder to dismiss (even though they'll still try.)

other than that ...

b8d.png

TGO

Your post got the side-eye because it reads like you implied a) she was making it up and/or b) she did something to provoke the remark in her direction.

Both such statements are textbook victim-blaming.
Even if she did, that's still no excuse

Fliesen

Their point was that no matter what SHE chooses to do, it does not give someone the right to say something like that to her.

Which i absolutely agree with - that point could have been made exactly the way you just made it, by putting emphasis on her sexual agency and the fact that nothing legitimizes harassment, instead of trying to one-up the graphic description of the original poster. I'd just assume that, if i were the reporter, and i were reading the thread, i'd be like ... "uhm, okay? I mean, thanks, i guess, but also ... wtf?"

You're saying Person X should accuse Person Y of something on twitter, and this makes Person Y deserve something without a hint of evidence or due process? These are interesting times we live in.

Can you accuse a person of stealing with no proof and have that person punished? I have no idea if the allegations are true but if this woman was harassed or attacked she should alert the authorities not post vague accusations online. Has a person ever lied about harassment? If so we shouldn't take every accusation as true without due process.

The Dark One

I've heard things uttered in game studios that cannot be repeated. No different from any other industry unfortunately. You'd think it was High School at times.

Mahonay

Banned
Can you accuse a person of stealing with no proof and have that person punished? I have no idea if the allegations are true but if this woman was harassed or attacked she should alert the authorities not post vague accusations online. Has a person ever lied about harassment? If so we shouldn't take every accusation as true without due process.

The Dark One
What are the authorities going to do about it? What world do you live in where that's a thing that would get this taken care of?

I've spent fifteen years working in film production and games. Some off-the-cuff observations:

-In 99% of cases, game dev environments are extremely insular sausage fests of extremely smart, focused, oblivious young men. Intense cliquing results.

-Game dev environments are stocked with men with a surplus of ego and technical skills, and a shortage of social skills. Particularly in senior/lead positions. (sorry guys.)

-The unspoken rule is *never* go to HR if you're experiencing harassment or abuse from a high-level developer. They will side with the more 'valuable' abuser every time and your on-the-job life will become hell.

-Film production has far more women in the workplace than gaming/software development, and has more of a high-pressure 'barracks sexuality' environment where coworkers tend to have casual sex and date more as a matter of course. This frequently spills over into inappropriate advances, especially when the power dynamics of positions comes into play.

-It's messy out there.

Sounds like any job if you ask me, and I've worked in a lot of fields.

And if what you say is right, which I'm pretty sure it it is, then you would hear about this more and more about other developers. But you don't.. right now, it feels like ND's head is wanted. Bunch of people saying an employee of a company is not speaking up. Plus if you're a reporter, I'm pretty sure you know a name.

But that's that person and they do what they want..
Was anything ever made of the last guy who claimed this?

To be clear I have no stake in this. Harassment is fucked up and should be dealt with immediately. This Twitter shit seems suspect.

Briarios

I meant the ND employer

You're attributing motives where you have no knowledge. Most likely he was asking her for sex by using house of cards to say, hey, the reporter sleeps with her sources there, so you should sleep with me.

It's pretty obvious, unless English isn't your native language, then I'd understand how you could miss the implication.

Hero

Has Naughty Dog PR said anything about this tweet? They were pretty quick on the first one from the guy.

PSqueak

Banned
Why are all the names of these people protected exactly?

If you say "Naughty Dog staff" or "One producer" you basically make everyone speculate who did it. Just say the name, they deserve it.

Because going head to head with names can be a career ending move.

Look at Terry Crews coming out with his own experience about being sexually harrassed by hollywood execs, he doesn't name anybody either because he knows he could get blacklisted over it.

People are afraid, man.

TGO

You're attributing motives where you have no knowledge. Most likely he was asking her for sex by using house of cards to say, hey, the reporter sleeps with her sources there, so you should sleep with me.

It's pretty obvious, unless English isn't your native language, then I'd understand how you could miss the implication.
Never seen House of Cards.
I'm obviously missing the reference.

Under federal law, it's illegal to terminate someone for filing a complain. He should have filed a retaliation claim against ND/Sony with OSHA, he doesn't even need to have any written evidence an oral complaint to ND/Sony would still be valid. The catch is this

"Complaints must be reported to OSHA within set timeframes following the retaliatory action, as prescribed by each law."

Don't know what the timeframe is. 30 days.

EDIT: https://www.whistleblowers.gov/index.html

You know what, I wonder how many employees even read up on their employee rights.

Imagine coming into a thread 15 pages late and think you're enlightening everyone with this "should have done" shit.

NHale

We could unearth mass graves of children killed by developers of games you like and some of you would be wondering if the kids didn't bring it on themselves.

Are you surprised though? This is the same gaming community that found excuses when Alison Rapp was fired after GamerGate attacked her and her employer failed to defend her because of doing some "sexy" cosplay, this is the same community that makes excuses for CEO's that send memos to their employees saying not to talk about GamerGate publicly or privately, the same exact community that doesn't mind that parties promoted by publishers/show booths are filled with women dressed like they are doing some auditions for Baywatch or that executives/developers ask for women with bikinis in beds to do a fucking business interview.

The standard is so low that I'm not even surprised anymore. I expect this kind of thing of disgusting behaviour of always trying to "look on the other side": what has she done that warranted this comment? what was she wearing? what has she done in the past? it was just a joke! It's fucking depressing but unfortunately I don't have the memory of a fish, so this kind of behaviour is expected from the gaming community. Just pathetic.

brian!

-It's messy out there.

This is facts. Ppl need to ask less about the context of dude's shitty statement and more about the context of an environment where the "proper channels" hold 0 weight and ppl involved feel overwhelming powerlessness in the day to day

What are the authorities going to do about it? What world do you live in where that's a thing that would get this taken care of?

Does this person have a boss? What about the police? Who do you talk to if you accuse someone of wrong doing? Why go online with vague allegations? Give the name to the head of the organization so that there can be a proper inquiry. That will also give that person a chance to defend him/herself.

Again why is there an assumption of guilt on the naughty dog employee? What about a presumption of innocence? Can I accuse you of something based solely on my word and have you punished? Is that even fair?

There needs to be due process we are all entitled to that. ALL OF US.

The Dark One

Does this person have a boss? What about the police? Who do you talk to if you accuse someone of wrong doing? Why go online with vague allegations? Give the name to the head of the organization so that there can be a proper inquiry. That will also give that person a chance to defend him/herself.

Again why is there an assumption of guilt on the naughty dog employee? What about a presumption of innocence? Can I accuse you of something based solely on my word and have you punished? Is that even fair?

The Dark One
There is no accused. There is no due process. In a time where powerful people are being exposed, stories like these told to give others the strength to either come out with theirs to not remain silent or find comfort that they're not alone.

brian!

The Dark One

Ppl are saying that due process in corporate environments favors the perpetrator; that those who hold particular power, whether it's via their position, the company's perception of their value, or unspoken social dynamics or whatever, are able to get away with disgusting behavior due to priorities of those around them. This includes bosses and police and inquiries done by ppl who dont have your best interests as a priority (lawyers, hr, bosses, coworkers, etc.)

I think it's fine to presume innocence, but i also think it's reasonable to empathize with those who have been repeatedly burned by this assumption. It is certainly not a case of "the truth will prevail in the end"; the truth is often framed by those w/ the most capital, both social and $s.

Fliesen

The Dark One

See, she didn't even name the developer. Hence we don't need to bother the "what if they get fired?" So don't bother protecting "someone" who isn't being named nor personally accused. She intentionally called out an unnamed developer. Not because she wants to ruin one career, but rather to add additional information to whether or not it's plausible that someone at ND might sexually harass others.

So how about we don't bother "defending" someone who doesn't need to be defended because they haven't even been named yet.

SledGod

Holy shit. How can anyone defend this? No way this flies in any professional setting. Pretty fucked up that people are attacking her.

Lets not get it twisted, this flies often in professional settings

Fuck me, you're right. Considering all the shit that's coming out of Hollywood right now, I'm not even sure why I had that thought. Just because I'm horrified by that behavior doesn't mean a lot of people aren't.

Interfectum

The Dark One

DarkMage619
THE DUMB ONE

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The cult of Sony that is very present and visible here on GAF is no joke. Some of them should be paid they shill that much.

Or it could be the cult of a male-dominated society that they aren't willing to let go of. Why narrow it down just to a company?

Top Bottom