• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon/Verge writer says Naughty Dog staff said inappropriate things to her (quote)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What's unfair? towards whom?
Who is claiming it's "only or mainly them"?
Nobody is making that claim. Nobody is saying "mainly Naughty Dog", what's bothering some is that it's "even Naughty Dog"

But what's weird is that.........why is it bothering you that ND has some scum bags that work there specifically? Did you believe they were above humanity's ills?

Fliesen

Or it could be the cult of a male-dominated society that they aren't willing to let go of. Why narrow it down just to a company?

Who is narrowing it down? Stop arguing against a strawman

This is about "Naughty Dog too" not "only Naughty Dog"

And even if the same thing happens all across the industry, there's no reason why anyone shouldn't be allowed to put ND on their shitlist if they don't handle this issue properly.

But what's weird is that.........why is it bothering you that ND has some scum bags that work there specifically? Did you believe they were above humanity's ills?

uhm, no, i believe there's shitty people pretty much anywhere, but what do you expect us to do? be petrified due to the ubiquity of shitty behaviour, or should we discuss bad behaviour wherever and whenever it's being called out without trying to derail things by saying "others too"

See, she didn't even name the developer. Hence we don't need to bother the "what if they get fired?" So don't bother protecting "someone" who isn't being named nor personally accused. She intentionally called out an unnamed developer. Not because she wants to ruin one career, but rather to add additional information to whether or not it's plausible that someone at ND might sexually harass others.

So how about we don't bother "defending" someone who doesn't need to be defended because they haven't even been named yet.

Many are defending this journalist. None of us were in the room with her but are willing to jump to her aid on her word alone. Name scenario where person X accuses person Y of something and that alone can convict or ruin person Ys reputation? That is not a world I would want to live in.

Since none of us were there we have no way of knowing if the story is even true let's not jump to any conclusions. I'll agree with you on one point no would should be defended and if anyone was harmed in anyway that person should take their claim to the proper authorities. Online vague accusations help no one. Look at this thread! Some people are demanding naughty dog be disbanded? Talk of boycotting Sony? And this is with an unsubstantiated claim. Breathe people.

The Dark One

Considering she remembered the exact quote, she should remember his face. If I'm ND I will get in contact with her to get to the bottom of this and fire that dev, if he even still works there because I don't know the timing when this occurred.

Mael

Many are defending this journalist. None of us were in the room with her but are willing to jump to her aid on her word alone. Name scenario where person X accuses person Y of something and that alone can convict or ruin person Ys reputation? That is not a world I would want to live in.

Since none of us were there we have no way of knowing if the story is even true let's not jump to any conclusions. I'll agree with you on one point no would should be defended and if anyone was harmed in anyway that person should take their claim to the proper authorities. Online vague accusations help no one. Look at this thread! Some people are demanding naughty dog be disbanded? Talk of boycotting Sony? And this is with an unsubstantiated claim. Breathe people.

The Dark One
Talking about unsubstantiated claims...

Fliesen

The Dark One

Still, you're actively trying to discredit and cast "reasonable" doubt on the statement of a woman who spoke up, who put herself out there for the sole reason of defending a unnamed person who still enjoys full anonymity. Farokhmanesh did not name the dev, the context, the date, the event.

a) their identity doesn't matter
b) to protect their anonymity

So why act like she accused anyone?

Do you reply to anyone who posted "#metoo" on Twitter saying there needs to be proof, because they're making some serious accusations?

SledGod

Lets not get it twisted, this flies often in professional settings

Fuck me, you're right. Considering all the shit that's coming out of Hollywood right now, I'm not even sure why I had that thought. Just because I'm horrified by that behavior doesn't mean a lot of people aren't.

Fliesen

Was that comment meant to be an attempt at a joke or something? What would possess someone to even say that?

a 0.001% chance of success vs. no expected repercussions because so far stuff like this would either not have been brought up and easily dismissed as a joke.

Remember the "naked man" episode of HIMYM?

Still, you're actively trying to discredit and cast "reasonable" doubt on the statement of a woman who spoke up, who put herself out there for the sole reason of defending a unnamed person who still enjoys full anonymity. Farokhmanesh did not name the dev, the context, the date, the event.

a) their identity doesn't matter
b) to protect their anonymity

So why act like she accused anyone?

Do you reply to anyone who posted "#metoo" on Twitter saying there needs to be proof, because they're making some serious accusations?

You make an excellent point! Why bring this up at all let alone on social media when there is no intention of getting justice? Why protect the 'attacker'? If she had a problem there is a way to file a harassment claim. I am not a fan of the metoo movement either. Yes serious claims should bring serious evidence. Why is asking for proof an unreasonable request?

The Dark One

RedRum

Banned
This is some shit to wake up to. It was only a matter of time before another victim came forth.

The ND defense in this thread is fucking disgusting. After GG, it's no surprise what women in this industry will have to put up with when they come forward.

I highly doubt things like this are done for publicity, because the moment someone like this woman comes forth her life turns to shit. Its insanely courageous if you ask me.

Fliesen

You make an excellent point! Why bring this up at all let alone on social media when there is no intention of getting justice? Why protect the 'attacker'? If she had a problem there is a way to file a harassment claim. I am not a fan of the metoo movement either. Yes serious claims should bring serious evidence. Why is asking for proof an unreasonable request?

The Dark One

Because it's not about "getting justice" against a single person, but add another piece to the big puzzle. You're really being "the daft one" right now, or you're just being disingenious and sea lioning me.

She's not being vindictive, she doesn't want to ruin a person's career over an inappropriate comment. What's there to gain? This is about adding another person's experience to corroborate Ballard's story.

I don't believe you're arguing in good faith. If you are, reevaluate your approach. And please stop signing your posts :/

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Who is narrowing it down? Stop arguing against a strawman

This is about "Naughty Dog too" not "only Naughty Dog"

And even if the same thing happens all across the industry, there's no reason why anyone shouldn't be allowed to put ND on their shitlist if they don't handle this issue properly.

uhm, no, i believe there's shitty people pretty much anywhere, but what do you expect us to do? be petrified due to the ubiquity of shitty behaviour, or should we discuss bad behaviour wherever and whenever it's being called out without trying to derail things by saying "others too"

But see this is the issue I have. Do we even know if they are or aren't handling these issues well or not?

Yushi

No way this flies in any professional setting.

This happens way more often than you believe. My GF just had to quit her job because of it. And nothing legally is going to happened because she'll never get hired again in the field that she likes.

She indirectly worked in the Video Game business.

Fliesen

But see this is the issue I have. Do we even know if they are or aren't handling these issues well or not?

Well, we don't know.

Their initial statement was rather unsatisfactory for many.

"We have not found any evidence of having received allegations from Mr. Ballard that he was harassed in any way at Naughty Dog or Sony Interactive Entertainment."
(surrounded by 80% fluff, 'we at naughty dog ... safe environment ... harassment ... no place at Naughty dog ... ")

Some assume (and imho rightfully so) that if people hadn't followed up on this or further people spoke up, this would've been the last we heard about this - rather serious - story.
Like, we don't know if they consider this issue settled or whether there's at least some sense of internal investigation going on. Like, even Polygon's initial statement re: Robinson conveyed much more information in a much shorter statement. Which makes it understandable that a person who's got an anecdote to share and who's equally unhappy with how ND is handling this so far would 'poke the beehive' a bit. - in what is, imho, a reasonable way (not revealing any personal information, not naming names, simply sharing one's experiences with an unnamed ND representative)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That sounds like someone's incredibly shitty idea for what an ice breaker joke should be. I hope they contact her and find who said it.

SledGod

This happens way more often than you believe. My GF just had to quit her job because of it. And nothing legally is going to happened because she'll never get hired again in the field that she likes.

She indirectly worked in the Video Game business.

Yeah, I acknowledged that my comment doesn't actually reflect reality. I'm sorry your GF is going through that, that's incredibly shitty and unfair. I hope she finds a better situation, but she shouldn't have to in the first place.

shiba5

Originally Posted by SledGod

No way this flies in any professional setting.

Of course it does. The victim is way more likely to be fired and the perpetrator promoted. They can have a rap sheet a mile long and if they're considered valuable, there will be no repercussions at all. Sometimes a victim manages to get some traction in the media and suddenly the bottom line is going to be affected so the perp is no longer worth protecting. That's rare.

I mean, ffs look at who's President.

SledGod

Of course it does. The victim is way more likely to be fired and the perpetrator promoted. They can have a rap sheet a mile long and if they're considered valuable, there will be no repercussions at all. Sometimes a victim manages to get some traction in the media and suddenly the bottom line is going to be affected so the perp is no longer worth protecting. That's rare.

I mean, ffs look at who's President.

Fuck me, you're right. Considering all the shit that's coming out of Hollywood right now, I'm not even sure why I had that thought. Just because I'm horrified by that behavior doesn't mean a lot of people aren't.

Yeah, my original comment wasn't well thought out because I was upset when I typed it.

adversarial

sigh.jpg

Idiots like this are why they have issues coming forward, I'd guess.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Was that comment meant to be an attempt at a joke or something? What would possess someone to even say that?
Thinking the same thing. Even if it was a joke it was very inappropriate, disrespectful, unprofessional and disgusting. Why can’t men act like adults.

Seventy5

Thinking the same thing. Even if it was a joke it was very inappropriate, disrespectful, unprofessional and disgusting. Why can’t men act like adults.
People who don't understand that not everyone shares their worldview. I work for a boring ass insurance company, and my boss asked me what I was willing to do to "convince the fancy boys" to buy from me because he knew I was meeting a friend of mine and his husband to talk business. Prick.

Ignorant and intolerant assholes are everywhere, a few working for ND is not a surprise.

derFeef

sigh.jpg

Idiots like this are why they have issues coming forward, I'd guess.

Fucking hell. Problem is I know such guys, always saying dumb shit like this - victim shaming and bluffing it off as "you can't say anything, I don't want to be politically correct all the time, thanks feminism".

WaterAstro

Again, why bother posting it in social media?

If she was harassed, she needs to privately approach the Naughty Dog management first about the person. Unless she already did and got ignored by ND, making a blanket statement with no name is going to hurt her and hurt Naughty Dog. Nothing gets resolved from it.

If she was harassed, she needs to privately approach the Naughty Dog management first about the person. Unless she already did and got ignored by ND, making a blanket statement with no name is going to hurt her and hurt Naughty Dog. Nothing gets resolved from it.
Posting it on social media gives the victim power and forces the company into action. They can't control the message and they can't bury it then.

Fuck 'taking it up the chain' at a company she doesn't even work for and knows no one at. That would never be my first action if this happened to me.

Fliesen

I don't think she's in it to "resolve" it. Neither do i think she wants that person fired.

She simply wanted to add an extra anecdote to the big picture of ND's corporate culture and whether or not the problem is one of individual bad apples or possibly systemic.

Like, if you asked Farokhmanesh whether she'd want to see the dev fired, maybe she'd even say "he was a huge creep and it was super inappropriate, i don't want him fired, but i want people to know that this is not okay"
Not every of these needs to be "resolved" by seeing someone's head roll.

Weinstein getting 'disowned' by Hollywood is nice, the fact that it kicked off a (mostly) sincere and open debate about the ubiquitous issue of harassment towards (mostly) women is the much bigger deal here. This all could've easily gone the way of Bill Cosby. Where one guy has their career ended and that's it ...

It's not on her to resolve it.

RedRum

Banned
I'm on a phone so it's hard to quote, but I hope the past about protecting the sanctity of ND's games is a joke. The sad thing is that people will want this to get put under the rug because of "gamez".

Has Polygon made a statement of support?

Top Bottom