• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

anothertech

Lol not a statement based on reality ?!? Lol look it up its called google lol
Did so and found nothing. I also read the articles you posted and the Venturebeat article it was based on.

So you are going to take a single companies quarterly sales (Ubisoft no less) and generalize the entire attach rate of a hardware base around it, when the competitor is losing 2:1? And then call that reality?

Try looking at the last year of software sales on NPD then make an educated guess.

Even then, there is no hard fact that says one consoles userbase is more wealthy overall than the other. That is terribly sweeping and broad.

That is not reality son. And quite honestly sad that anyone would believe this.

Outrun

PlayStation sales and diverse portfolio for 5 pages in a row, brought to you by KinofChaos™.

Yeah, fucking sad.

Regarding the Scorpio, I wonder if the box will be as big as the One?

Perhaps Surface team will work their magic.

bidguy

Banned
Yeah, fucking sad.

Regarding the Scorpio, I wonder if the box will be as big as the One?

Perhaps Surface team will work their magic.

who knows. they better not screw with noise though since xbone is probably the quietest console ive ever owned lol

Did so and found nothing. I also read the articles you posted.

That is not reality son. And quite honestly sad that anyone would believe this.

Lol look here sonny boy childy baby, i just pasted showing people were paying more for 360 bundles than ps3 .. The fact the xbox sells far more in us than os also proves the demographic is going to be better off.

Just accept it and move on .. Buying the console that poor people buy is hardly an insult.

anothertech

Lol look here sonny boy childy baby, i just pasted showing people were paying more for 360 bundles than ps3 .. The fact the xbox sells far more in us than os also proves the demographic is going to be better off.

Just accept it and move on .. Buying the console that poor people buy is hardly an insult.
Tell us how you really feel.

Causing chaos like a raging ancient deity!

Christ Xbox threads are a chore to read :(

edit - Yes, the 'large' box + external power brick is the best formula. More of the same please Phillip!

Your right lets get back on point ..

So how much is the difference between 4tf and 6tf ..? More than the difference in res between ps vr and occulus so games will have a higher image quality on xbox.

So can we stop the console wars and get back to the interesting topics of cpu difference? Pc games have a much faster cpu so ports to the xbox vr should be much easier than to current gen consoles.

bidguy

Banned
Causing chaos like a raging ancient deity!

Christ Xbox threads are a chore to read :(

edit - Yes, the 'large' box + external power brick is the best formula. More of the same please Phillip!

not sure if youre messing around but if having a big box and a power brick means you get a reliable and quiet box bring it

i mean you can have that thing on for ages without worrying about anything

not sure if youre messing around but if having a big box and a power brick means you get a reliable and quiet box bring it

I agree my pc is too loud thats why i use my xbox and my pc is still way bigger anyway. Big quiet box is my preference.

AmyS

Now I'm thinking:

APU: not too different than Raven Ridge APU, semi-custom as always for consoles.
*4-core / 8 threads Zen CPU (not going to predict clockspeed)
*Vega 11 mid-size GPU ~6 TFLOPs

*GDDR5-X RAM

*March/April 2017 - $399

Maaaaaaaybe this fall

Yeah I can't say I really mind the power brick. The inconvenience of having to find a place to put it is outweighed by my bone not sounding like my PS4.

No I'm serious, anything to keep heat and noise levels down seems obvious to me. I've never understood the whinging about external power bricks.

Now I'm thinking:

APU: not too different than Raven Ridge APU, semi-custom as always for consoles.

*GDDR5-X RAM

*March/April 2017 - $399

It's going to be something along those lines you would think. It's clearly behind the Neo on a time schedule so obviously will be a step up in AMD tech levels. Otherwise it wouldn't be behind lol.

gaming_noob

Just reading over Spencer's and Mike Ybarra's twitter accounts and they seem genuinely excited for e3. I really hope they can pull off an awesome reveal (if Scorpio is going to be there) and redeem the team.

Just reading over Spencer's and Mike Ybarra's twitter accounts and they seem genuinely excited for e3. I really hope they can pull off an awesome reveal (if Scorpio is going to be there) and redeem the team.

They are always excited for their Conference :p

Who knows how everything turns out.

Would be a very disappointing E3 if neither MS or Sony said anything about their Upgraded Consoles

Mindlog

No I'm serious, anything to keep heat and noise levels down seems obvious to me. I've never understood the whinging about external power bricks.
This goes for me as well. I'm always confused by the desire for small boxes. The console is going to sit on a shelf and not move. Give me big low RPM fans and box that's not trying to rapidly cycle the room's entire volume of air through a straw.

However, if MS does go with an external PS I hope the unit is quieter than my 360 slim. The fan on that thing was a ridiculous rattling mess. Much better after I opened it up, but I'd rather not have to open up my power supplies.

Wtf is going on in this thread...not sure why we can't just focus on possibilities of the Scropio. Must Sony really be brought into this thread at this point? Feel like its a waste of time especially knowing so little about MS plans and the console it self.

TRios Zen

The Xbox One launch was a masterclass on how to drive your brand into the ground. Like seriously, I could see a Harvard Report case study on this some day, it was so bad. From the overall vision to losing touch with their consumers, there just was so much that wasn't done right.

Even through all that though, the One has been my primary system and I've enjoyed a lot this generation. As such, I'm very interested in seeing what Panos Panay and his group can do with a box whose vision is driven by Phil Spencer and his team.

So if the rumored power ~6 TF, backward and forward compatibility (via UWP) are the future of Xbox, I'm very interested in hearing more, so I'm ready for E3.

On the other hand, I agree with those who have said that releasing Fall of next year, seems like a mistake - giving the market leader that much time to build on the lead is probably not a great strategy. I guess the reality of the hardware may dictate the release window though.

Hawk269

Would be a very disappointing E3 if neither MS or Sony said anything about their Upgraded Consoles

I am going in thinking they wont mention them at all. It is my way of controlling my hype for the conferences and tempering my expectations. If they do show them, then I will be pleasantly surprised and hyped, but I don't want to over hype the shows and feel let down. So for me, going with the mindset that they don't show anything of the Neo/Scorpio...in my deepest of thoughts though, I feel Sony will show Neo.

RoKKeR

Even through all that though, the One has been my primary system and I've enjoyed a lot this generation. As such, I'm very interested in seeing what Panos Panay and his group can do with a box whose vision is driven by Phil Spencer and his team.
Yep, this is what I am the most eager about. I'm even excited to see what the Slim looks like and what their design philosophy for that box is like. It feels like this E3 is the first chance for them to show what the future of the brand under new leadership and new direction (UWP, ecosystem, Win10 support, etc.) will really look like.

I am going in thinking they wont mention them at all. It is my way of controlling my hype for the conferences and tempering my expectations. If they do show them, then I will be pleasantly surprised and hyped, but I don't want to over hype the shows and feel let down. So for me, going with the mindset that they don't show anything of the Neo/Scorpio...in my deepest of thoughts though, I feel Sony will show Neo.

Yeah im not expecting them either. Will feel the same like you^^

gaming_noob

Already booked Monday and Tuesday off...Monday for MS and Sony shows and Tuesday to recover from the Megatons.

anothertech

Wtf is going on in this thread...not sure why we can't just focus on possibilities of the Scropio. Must Sony really be brought into this thread at this point? Feel like its a waste of time especially knowing so little about MS plans and the console it self.
It seems some lose their heads when news like this come around, and must proclaim to the world why one is better than the other. And why the userbase of one is better than the other no less!

Makes being a fan of all of them quite a good place to be. We can hope Scorpio is amazing, and that Neo rises to the occasion all at once.

Funny thing is, officially, these don't even exist yet. And many of us are arguing internal tech decisions lol.

The Xbox One launch was a masterclass on how to drive your brand into the ground. Like seriously, I could see a Harvard Report case study on this some day, it was so bad. From the overall vision to losing touch with their consumers, there just was so much that wasn't done right.

So if the rumored power ~6 TF, backward and forward compatibility (via UWP) are the future of Xbox, I'm very interested in hearing more, so I'm ready for E3.

On the other hand, I agree with those who have said that releasing Fall of next year, seems like a mistake - giving the market leader that much time to build on the lead is probably not a great strategy. I guess the reality of the hardware may dictate the release window though.

As a huge Xbox fan, The driving the brand in to the ground imo started long before the Xbox one was announced.
Once it was realized that the Wii would be a runaway success, Microsoft's entire vision for the Xbox brand went off track imo.

I would love to read a tell all book of what happened with the Xbox team from Don Mattrick joining in 07 to the disastrous unveiling and E3 debacles in 2013.

Anywho, can't wait for the 13th. I think MS is going to have a killer show.

Has the idea been thrown out that the slim may be using the same or similar SoC to the PS4 Neo?

I know it has been rumored(confirmed?) that the reason Sony is upgrading hardware is because it actually is cheaper to upgrade the hardware than redesign the current SoC?

Wouldn't the same apply to the XB1?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Now I'm thinking:

*GDDR5-X RAM

*March/April 2017 - $399

Maaaaaaaybe this fall

I'm thinking spring 2017.

It isn't about killing sales, if they lowered the price of the normal Xbox One and released a slim I doubt a Scorpio announcement would do much to affect sales.

Remember that the rumor is already out with multiple sources saying it is happening. Whether they announce it or not people know that Scorpio is coming.

It seems Tom doesn't have much insider information on the Scorpio, at least not on the announcement or release dates. With a few tweets his estimates on release jumped from 12 to 16 months.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Lots of this sentiment in the thread.

I just can't believe MS would allow Sony to get all the buzz and press for the entire year either way.

I honestly don't see why the proposed hardware would even take until Holiday 2017. The 480 hardware will easily be available, even the Neo is rumored to be using it and people see it coming this year. The Zen architecture is supposed to be in desktops by the end of this year so early 2017 doesn't seem like much of a stretch for an APU with a Zen processor.

What will do more damage?

Not announcing a Scorpio at E3 and waiting till next E3 to launch in Holiday 2017, allowing the Slim and Fat models to sell without an announced Scorpio even though people know it's coming.

or

Announcing a Scorpio at E3 and launching it in Spring 2017.

If Scorpio is a 2017 console it doesn't get shown or talked about at E3, if it's getting released this year then they have to.

If it's Spring 2017 then it would be announced this E3.

Chris1

If Scorpio is a 2017 console it doesn't get shown or talked about at E3, if it's getting released this year then they have to.

Yep.

Tom's right.

The only way Scorpio is at E3 is if it's releasing this year. They aren't announcing it 18 months in advance and killing their sales, especially during Gears year and the exact same year they're releasing a Slim.

It's just not happening, if Phil starts talking about Scorpio at E3, you can bet it's coming out this year.

If it's Spring 2017 then it would be announced this E3.
It'd be announced at their hardware event next year.

Compsiox

Banned
Yep.

Tom's right.

The only way Scorpio is at E3 is if it's releasing this year. They aren't announcing it 18 months in advance and killing their sales, especially during Gears year and the exact same year they're releasing a Slim.

It's just not happening, if Phil starts talking about Scorpio at E3, you can bet it's coming out this year.

Has it been determined that it's even possible to slim down the Xbox One?

FordGTGuy

Banned
It'd be announced at their hardware event next year.

There is no possible way they would announce a gaming console like the Scorpio at anything but E3 or an Xbox only event; I don't see them announcing it alongside the Surface and Surface phone.

Of course it's possible, it's been three years since it came out. Not to mention the Xbox One uses a completely overkill cooling system.

Chris1

A slim's all but guaranteed to happen. Tom Warren said it was 40% smaller than the current XB1.

There is no possible way they would announce a gaming console like the Scorpio at anything but E3 or an Xbox only event.

XB1 wasn't announced at E3, can't remember what it was at, maybe their hardware event? Idk, if it's coming out in 2017, it's being revealed in 2017 at some sort of event.

FordGTGuy

Banned
A slim's all but guaranteed to happen. Tom Warren said it was 40% smaller than the current XB1.

XB1 wasn't announced at E3, can't remember what it was at, maybe their hardware event? Idk, if it's coming out in 2017, it's being revealed in 2017 at some sort of event.

The Xbox One was revealed at a special Xbox only event a few weeks before E3 and then they announced more about the system and game at E3.

Yeah but their huge concern was overheating. Also that's only a rumor.

Brad Sams also said that the Slim is happening.

Chris1

Yeah but their huge concern was overheating. Also that's only a rumor.
Tom Warren is as accurate as can get for MS, yeah it's a rumour but if Tom says it, it's almost certainly going to happen.

A slim will happen 100%, that current thing is a beast and now the Surface team is on it, they'll be fine

The Xbox One was revealed at a special Xbox only event a few weeks before E3 and then they announced more about the system and game at E3.

Ahh well yeah maybe they'll do another event next year then for Scorpio. I just can't see it being announced at E3 and due out for next year, that's suicide.

Compsiox

Banned
Tom Warren is as accurate as can get for MS, yeah it's a rumour but if Tom says it, it's almost certainly going to happen.

A slim will happen 100%, that current thing is a beast and now the Surface team is on it, they'll be fine

#Scorpio2016

FordGTGuy

Banned

Ahh well yeah maybe they'll do another event next year then for Scorpio.

I think Phil knows that if a device like this is going to be successful then it needs to be announced at E3 with a bang and it needs to be on live TV.

This is the only event Microsoft does that is on live TV.

They should know better then anyone that first impressions matter.

Top Bottom