• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Well I don't speak for everyone, or whoever it is making that assumption, but if I had to guess I'd say it's because that seems to be the norm in the console market these days. Not a crazy assumption to make really *shrug*

I'd be surprised if they'll sell Scorpio at loss.

Now if only those pesky developers and consumers would all jump on board, they just don't know what's good for them.

/s :p

The ball is totally in Ms' court, if they make their platform enticing there will be dev and consumer support.

But that has nothing to do with the point I was making though. I merely pointed that Ms doesn't need to kickstart a whole new gen, they already have all the bits in place to support both consoles with the same development tools.

Chris1

I'd be surprised if they'll sell Scorpio at loss.

Why?

They sell the current XB1 at a loss

Unless you are implying we will see an 8TF Xbox One I don't get your point. Controlled leak to what? Set unrealistic expectations?

Controlled leak to put a damper on NEO and to judge response so they can clear up their messaging and answer the most asked questions?

does seem like a controlled leak to be honest, they usually say we don't comment on rumours but they're going all in with it and Phil Spencer even wearing tshirts a day later.

AmyS

If Microsoft introduces a new Xbox that can be upgraded further down the road (didn't Phil Spencer hint at an upgradeable console? If not, disregard this post). It would be interesting if the console itself has removable slot where the core processing sits (APU -zen cpu+gpu+hbm2). You take the 'core' out. what's left is the HDD, optical disc drive, usb ports, power supply, etc The motherboard with the "core" is like the size of the Radeon R9 Nano. I'm sure this has been discussed to death in other threads,

Another advantage with HBM2, it doesn't eat up transistors on die, like ESRAM does (right). Xbox One's 32MB ESRAM takes up 1.6 billion transistors, of the 5 billion total, and as we all know, 32MB ESRAM has not been ideal. A further advantage is lower power use. It's not as if this would be using an hbm2 configuration that maxes out the hbm2 spec (32 GB, 1TB/sec bandwidth). It would also likely to be considerably less than what Nvidia's using with the Tesla P100 accelerator (16 GB hbm2, 720 GB/sec bandwidth).

By late 2017, hbm2 should have long since been in mass production, with two suppliers instead of just a single supplier. (Samsung and SK Hynix). When it's time to do an upgrade, the next-gen "core" could be based on an APU with Zen 2, a Navi GPU and whatever that 'Nextgen Memory" is on AMD's roadmap. It's been said that Scorpio is a new architecture, what if that means not only a new cpu/gpu architecture, but way of handling console cycles.This would also be much less ambitious and more plausible than what Nintendo's Supplemental Computing Device patent describes for increasing the processing resources of a home console.

Food for thought. The Scorpio would still start as a 5-6 TF console.

WadeitOut

Controlled leak to put a damper on NEO and to judge response so they can clear up their messaging and answer the most asked questions?

does seem like a controlled leak to be honest, they usually say we don't comment on rumours but they're going all in with it and Phil Spencer even wearing tshirts a day later.

...So people here do remember that the updated spec Xbox One rumor originally came out months prior to the PS4K rumor right? This is just additional information to the rumor.

duhmetree

I haven't bought a XBOne yet. If they released a 6TF console I would buy it. I might be in the minority but I like that Sony and Microsoft are looking to release upgraded consoles every 2-3 years ( as long as technological advances warrant the upgrade )

WadeitOut

How is dropping a grand on two systems rich?

Perhaps the poster is simply dedicated?

Or they could just be like many adults and have a method of paying with credit that has no interest bonuses.

I mean I bought a TV on Black Friday and I get 2 years to pay it off with no interest.

duhmetree

I wonder if this leak will hurt Microsoft in the long run...

Hypothetically speaking what if NEO was going to be revealed at E3 at 4+TFLOPS... This might push Sony to upgrade the console further... better cpu/better memory? closing the gap to 6TF while also being the first to market.

icespide

Banned

Hypothetically speaking what if NEO was going to be revealed at E3 at 4+TFLOPS... This might push Sony to upgrade the console further... better cpu/better memory? closing the gap to 6TF while also being the first to market.

if Neo is launching in 2016 then it's too late to change specs at this point

WadeitOut

Not only is that never happening, there is actually another first page thread discussing it.

EvB

I'm already there. unfortunately I have more money than time

Buy a time machine!
Or a rocket! Fly away from Earth at the speed of light for a day or so. BOOM! 100 years have passed, everyone you know and love is dead and games cheaper, used your saved money to cut down on work hours!
Simple!

Outrun

You cannot just slap on a turbo charger to the design for more horsepower...

Hawk269

I know this may sound far out...but if the machine is as capable as the leaks suggest, is it possible that there is a PC App that when loaded basically turns the Scorpio into a PC which would then allow it to run PC games? If it truly is a 6tf machine, it would clearly have the muscle to do such a thing. So when you first turn on the system it boots into a standard console interface and you have the PC App. You launch the PC App and it basically reboots the system into PC Mode. You can easily go from one environment to another, but the feasibility of this is something MS could possibly do with the proper system that has the horsepower to run it.

Imagine the meltdowns if MS announces that the Scorpio is not only a very high end Xbox System that plays all Xbox One games and Xbox 360 games, but can play any PC game as well and will support mouse/keyboard along with standard controller support.

kingwingin

To help sell the system cheaper they should sell it with no hard drive and no controller

Assuming we can use xbox one controllers on it

Bsigg12

To help sell the system cheaper they should sell it with no hard drive and no controller

Na, that just creates issues with forcing people to buy a hard drive. Since every game is installed, you absolutely have to have one, and the one in the Xbox One isn't designed to be removed or replaced easily like the PS4, hence the external HDD support. Also, Microsoft buying in bulk 2TB hard drives would likely make the price impact on the unit very minimal.

Hawk269

Yeah that won't work. Almost like Sony selling the PSVR without the required camera forcing people to buy the camera to make the PSVR to work.

Chris1

That sounds new to me http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ll-be-break-even-or-profit-making-from-launch

A more updated source? Firesales aside, I thought they'd stick to that plan.

IGN unlocked interview with Phil Spencer, they asked him if the console itself was profitable because of all the price cuts and he dodged the question and was like "well uhh, the Xbox division as a whole is profitable so that's good"

...So people here do remember that the updated spec Xbox One rumor originally came out months prior to the PS4K rumor right? This is just additional information to the rumor.

Which also came from Phil Spencer and wasn't really a "rumour", just saying

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

You can't just change hardware like that once it's set.

Same way MS couldn't change the Xbox One hardware back when PS4 specs were leaking back in 2012.

kingwingin

Na, that just creates issues with forcing people to buy a hard drive. Since every game is installed, you absolutely have to have one, and the one in the Xbox One isn't designed to be removed or replaced easily like the PS4, hence the external HDD support. Also, Microsoft buying in bulk 2TB hard drives would likely make the price impact on the unit very minimal.
But the scorpio could have a removable hdd. Also they could sell 2 versions. One core and another with everything.

Nintendo sells handhelds with no charger why cant microsoft do something similar.

Yeah that won't work. Almost like Sony selling the PSVR without the required camera forcing people to buy the camera to make the PSVR to work.
they are selling a version with no move or camera

WadeitOut

the rumblings of iterative Xbox consoles started before the PS4k scoop

I know that's my point. Why would it be a controlled leak by Microsoft when the stuff about them having a revision came out first? If anything wouldn't that point more towards the NEO stuff being a controlled leak?

Of course I don't think either are controlled leaks.

icespide

Banned
I know that's my point. Why would it be a controlled leak by Microsoft when the stuff about them having a revision came out first? If anything wouldn't that point more towards the NEO stuff being a controlled leak?

Of course I don't think either are controlled leaks.

those initial rumblings were just vague musings. this leak was a lot more specific and illicit more specific responses that COULD result in feedback

JaggedSac

They starting a new gen, they are moving towards a no generational future.

They have almost everything in place now:

- A single kernel ported to all devices
- A single app model supporting all the same APIs on all devices
- The single kernel allows a unified set of supported accessories, and stuff like kinect, hololens and even VR is universally supported across the entire platform.
- One of the supported APIs offers low level access for when performance is king
- A single store on all devices, with a single submission and cert process
- Xbox Live related APIs on all devices that allows them to bring their network and features everywhere
- One of these devices already is xbox one, the next xbox obviously will be too.

The nice thing about those streaming sticks/boxes that Sams said were coming, is that the Bone controller will work with them wirelessly. This is a big benefit of these over other brands.

Top Bottom