• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI) and FIA to Form Long-term Partnership

Now we just need the rest of the tracks (mainly the fictional ones and Le Mans) to be updated to better standards. Trial Mountain is almost unplayably ugly.

Gestault

I really like where this could go. This and the new community-dev blog are giving me good vibes for their current projects. Also, Omega Boost 2: Lost in New York, please.

Funny how GT has that one too as Forza is pretty much Top Gear: The Game.

GT had it. Then Forza came and baught the exclusive rights just before GT5 came out. Hence why they didnt use the track for dip in GT5 and why there was no Test Track in GT6.

Shin-Ra

Sony's even moneyhatting governing bodies now, dark days for entertainment indeed.

(did anybody else think translator-san was Photoshopped at first?)

Any word on a port or new game on PS4 anytime soon?

This is what I am waiting for...

There won't be a PS4 version of GT6. Kaz has said that the first PS4 game would probably come out around two years after GT6. So we're looking at next year. And that's also probably when we'll get our first look at it.

driver116

GT had it. Then Forza came and baught the exclusive rights just before GT5 came out. Hence why they didnt use the track for dip in GT5 and why there was no Test Track in GT6.

Good riddance I say, Top Gear aren't the authority of anything in racing and their car reviews are heavily tainted by Jeremy Clarkson's opinion. Never watched the American version tho.

RangerBAD

0Sb07cT.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Where's his notepad?

le-seb

(did anybody else think translator-san was Photoshopped at first?)
*raises hand*

The announcement says four tracks were approved by the FIA.
Silverstone - pictured on the official GT site - is obviously one of them, but which are the three remaining ones?

benzy

Spa, Red Bull Ring, and the Nurbugring may be the others.

GT's Nurburgring isn't laser scanned though, even though it looks accurate. I'm hoping this means Nurburgring will get a complete remake for GT7 and it'll eventually be certified. The laser scanned courses in GT6 are Spa, Bathurst, Willow Springs, Brands Hatch, Monza, Ascari, Silverstone, Goodwood, and Red Bull Ring. Out of those the real life FIA certified ones are Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Monza, Red Bull Ring, and Spa.

Here's Emerson Fittipaldi playing GT6 Brands Hatch at the FIA - PD partnership conference.

Bq6MWs_IQAAGuK2.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I can't wait to see what these can achieve on the PS4.

But please, for the love of god, drop the standard cars.

THIS so many times over! If it ain't premium it shouldn't make the game.

Solal

GT history of half baked partnerships.

"Hey GT5 has WRC cars!! OMG we ll be able to do official races with real tracks!! Maybe even official championships!"
Nope.

"OMG GT has Nascars!!!! YEHAAA!!! Nascar Championship !! nascar rules!! Gonna be fantastic!!"
Nope.

"WOW!! GT has Top gear!!! Great!!! We'll be able to challenge Stig's times!!! "
Nope.

"HOLY SHIT!!! GT has a partnership with the Senna foundation!! Imola here I come!!!Mac Laren MP4!!!"
Nope.

"JESUS CHRIST!! GT has GPS something something... We'll be able to build our own tracks from our GPS!!!"
Nope.

"MOTHER OF GOD!! GT has a track creator!! We'll be able to build real life tracks !!"
Nope.

"CRAZY!!! GT has a partnership with KW!! We'll be able to try their wind tunnel !!!!"
Nope.

"WOW!!! Bspec is great!! We'll be able to have our bobs as our teammates in endurance races!!!!"
Nope.

And so on....

Now PD signed a paper with FIA. FIA doesn't own brands, doesn't own tracks, doesn't own series... The news only says that everyone at PD and FIA is very happy... and, as always with PD, doesn't explain why we, players, should be.(99% of players don't give a flying fuck about GT academy as they know they will never make it to the finals....just a nice very limited leaderboard)

All i get from this news is that, from now on, tracks will be labelled "FIA certified"... which i don't give a shit. Give me laser scanned tracks and then we'll talk.

In the end, be sure PD will be way less imaginative than you guys...and don't expect much. As always.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kaz being proactive with the automotive and racing industries is one of the most admirable things in gaming. Been thinking of making a thread about it.

Solal

This is pretty exciting.

I think they did fine with them, more than fine with the Senna licence.

So 3 cars and 2 new layouts for tracks (without even changing the scenery)...with a slide show ...and that's it!

6 months ago, when they announced the partnership, i don't think anyone would have thought it would be so light.

That's quite an endorsement. It can only lead to better things for GT7.

GT6 is phenomenal btw, just throwing that out there. Way improved over 5. Make sure to set your ps3's output, limit it to 720P and you get 60fps.

Can someone explain how this benefits the game? GT5 was a huge disappointment to me and I didn't bother picking up GT6. The terrible UI and loading screens and nonsensical career really put me off GT. I was looking forward to GT6 but then heard there is no V8 touring car race on Bathurst. For a game that supposedly strives for accuracy that was plain stupid.

Dead Man

It can lead to many things, more cars and tracks being one of them. PD is at a much closer step now to finally getting Porsche support once the EA license expires.

Porsche-911_GT3_R_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_03.jpg

They already wasted RUF, there is no guarantee they will do better with Porsche.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Well at least that will probably end in the possibilities to drive around F1 tracks with an older F1 car.

We can already do this. Miss the Senna update? It would be nice to have more, but I'm sure they'll come eventually.

My guess is one of the first things that they'll do is ditch Cote d'Azur and replace it with a proper laserscanned version of Monaco.

One of the (many) inaccuracies with the Cote d'Azur track is it's width. I'm pretty sure it's quite a bit wider than the real life road/track. Of course, the areas around piscine are even narrower than the real course now as they don't feature the run off area. Still... I wonder how GT's inept A.I would cope with a narrower track.

with ecclestone ... unlikely without a lot of cash or I'm wrong ?

Codemasters can afford it, and they're a pretty small company right now.

GT's Nurburgring isn't laser scanned though, even though it looks accurate.

I think he was referring to the GP-strecke and not the nordschleife itself. Surely the GP circuit has to be laser scanned? It was only introduced in GT5.

I was looking forward to GT6 but then heard there is no V8 touring car race on Bathurst. For a game that supposedly strives for accuracy that was plain stupid.

How so? You are aware that other championships race on the mountain too, right? So I guess all those circuits most famous for hosting the Grand Prix shouldn't be included considering they don't have the F1 licence, right? I know I'd rather have Bathurst and touring/gt/endurance cars than no bathurst at all.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Just hope they can make GT on PS4 a good game with decent engine sounds with no standard models.

Yup. This. Ditch all the standard cars, polish up the existing premium cars and bring more cars up to premium standards. Continue to refine the awesome physics, work on the sounds and improve the ai* and GT mode.

Insert Clarkson "how hard can it be?"

* on the subject of ai, surely they could get the likes of ordonez/mardenborough etc to help. Get the guys to carry out a variety of scenarios on the absolute limit and collect a ton of data that could be used to determine A.I. behaviour. After that, reduce a.i speed on a slider, preferably allowing the end user to select from a variety of settings, and you have a competent ai.

How hard can it...

Loudninja

So what does this all mean? Well, to start, it means that we can look forward to the creation of brand new experiences for GT6, in the form of a special FIA Online Championship – which we can expect to see in 2015. Additionally, more tracks included in Gran Turismo 6 will be subject to inspection in the near future.

The Certification of Tracks is only the start of the partnership as there are many exclusive and absolutely unique online championships planned as a long-term collaboration between the FIA and Polyphony, the development team behind the ground-breaking Gran Turismo franchise.
Here’s what Gran Turismo creator and President of Polyphony Digital Inc. Kazunori Yamauchi says about this new partnership.
“We are incredibly proud for the Gran Turismo Series to be officially certified by the governing body of world motorsports. In the over 15 year history of Gran Turismo, this has to be the biggest accolade we have ever received. I believe this will be a major step to forward our mission to connect our virtual and real racing worlds in a full circle, thereby expanding the population of car and motorsports enthusiasts in the world.”
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...tion-internationale-de-lautomobile/#sf3437676

Seanspeed

Banned
Online championship thing might be cool, especially if it has a tiered national, international and then World Championship levels.

But the FIA-certified track thing is a total joke. They aren't going to reject any tracks PD shows them, nor is PD going to be taking development time to change things the FIA don't feel is up to par. Don't even understand what it means, really. FIA certification in real life is based on facilities and safety. Two things that don't matter a bit in a video game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Bernie probably thinks he can get a 25 million dollar check per track to be part of the online championship.

This is GT Academy on steroids, which is nice. Having multiple online championships is a great thing, question is if they will meet their 2015 deadline.

i_max

Neo Member
Great news, I'd be stoked if they can have any version for PS4, even just for the academy, kind of what they did with having the GT6 engine in 2014 academy.

dalin80

Banned
It can lead to many things, more cars and tracks being one of them. PD is at a much closer step now to finally getting Porsche support once the EA license expires.

Porsche-911_GT3_R_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_03.jpg

Unfortunately the modelling team that was working on the 911 had to be pulled of the project due to unforeseen circumstances some time ago. You see Nissan released a new version of the GTR which had double cross stitched interwoven leather seats unlike the previous single cross point machine staggered stitching that graced the previous version.

Luckily the team will soon be finished and will return to 911 duties.

Hang on...

Breaking news from Nissan, a new GTR is coming out, this incredible new model features a brand new In build 8 disc CD player system, far more advanced and 1.2% lighter then the previous 6 disc variant.

Well guys that 911 will just have to wait a little longer!

Top Bottom