• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony's Kazunori Yamauchi thinks Gran Turismo Sport can run at 8K on PS5

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What's the point of building a generation ahead when they're going to rebuild them next generation for the generation after that?

Why not just build them for the current generation and have more cars?

thelastword

Banned
Exactly. This studio is way, way behind the times. I can't believe Sony got rid of Driveclub, Motorstorm and Wipeout in favour of the development disaster that is GT.
You don't know why? DC and Motorstorm Apocalypse bombed in sales and to some respects critical reception at launch as well. Wipeout did not selll milions upon millions upon millions, but what do I know, all of that information may be a secret..GT on the other hand saleswise? ;)

Is there a release candidate framerate test out there that I missed?
I was thinking there was too, but I'll just chalk this one up to David Ricardo...

Oh boy, so you mean Forza takes six months too? What does the backend of the statement mean though? Are they launching unfinished assets (cars as DLC) and patching them up later?

That quote was funny though, especially for those shooting the virtues of Turn 10. Did they think turn 10 took a day to do car models? Besides T10 outsources that type of work anyway?

This is one of the dumbest things Ive read in awhile
The dumbest thing you've heard in a while is that a game that runs 1800p CB on a PS4 PRO will run at 8k on a PS5???? I guess you must be from a different world altogether...

Haven't they said that about past games as well? I won't hold my breath.
The one thing about GT is that they always push visuals, effects and resolution way above all other racers. GT5/6 did dynamic weather, bandwidth heavy smoke effects and damage at 1280 * 1080 and 1440 *1080 respectively, an era when 720p was standard with a shitty NV GPU. If there is one team that will push the envelope in graphics it's PD. You can believe that GTS ported to a PS5 will run at 8k...

In any case, he's only saying the current assets will mesh well under 8k scrutiny. He may have said that GT6 assets will be ok for the next GT and I'm sure it would if GTS was only going to launch at 1080p on vanilla PS4, so he was not wrong. The fact is, we have the PRO with 4k modes, so that changes things a bit. He had to cater for the PRO as well in developing GTS.

You think we'll get 8k 60fps games on a base ps5?
Yep, the next gen GT won't be 8k 60fps, but GTS ported over to PS5 will be. UC4 and GOW4 ported over to PS5 will be....Some mid tier games and indies will be 8k 60fps as well...

HooYaH

Probably referring to VR. Think I read somewhere that is the resolution you need to not perceive pixels in VR.

Ivan

That direction would be a disaster IMO. We should stop at 4k for some time and focus on other things.

I honestly can't wait for diminishing returns to start kicking in, I'm sick of resolution talk.

4k is enough for tvs maybe forever, and I can't wait to see a generation without resolution increase again.

The day in gaming industry without resolution talk (like we have on mobile phones now for example) would be a beautiful day.

That direction would be a disaster IMO. We should stop at 4k for some time and focus on other things.

I honestly can't wait for diminishing returns to start kicking in, I'm sick of resolution talk.

4k is enough for tvs maybe forever, and I can't wait to see a generation without resolution increase again.

The day in gaming industry without resolution talk (like we have on mobile phones now for example) would be a beautiful day.

What's funny/sad is that now that the PS4 Pro is coming up short in the 4K realm and Microsoft now has a (supposed) legitimate 4K console dropping later this year, Sony fans seem to not want to talk about 4K anymore? (Not Ivan directly--just a general observation...)

---

Frankly, what Kaz is doing with the modeling is great, but this should have been done YEARS ago, like when Turn 10 was creating 4K assets during Forza 4's development for use in future (Forza 5, Forza 6) iterations.

It's like ever since GT3, the Gran Turismo franchise has been in a perpetual state of 'catch-up', either in the graphics/modeling, AI, gameplay, or online features. I'd like, for once, to see GT step up and challenge the Forza franchise again.

Ivan

What's funny/sad is that now that the PS4 Pro is coming up short in the 4K realm and Microsoft now has a (supposed) legitimate 4K console dropping later this year, Sony fans seem to not want to talk about 4K anymore? (Not Ivan directly--just a general observation...)

I didn't mean in console wars space only, but in gaming industry as a whole :).

I really think we would all benefit from it. 4K is enough.

Oneself

Lol he'll never change. He has said things like that all the time. Stick to your current game and try to release it on time instead :p

i1TKAvhXCQeap7c.jpg

i1Kv2ZxhKORU2b.jpg

How about we get to 1080/60 first.

Yes please.

For real. Don't talk about 8k when 1080/60 isn't even a Standard yet

insert obligatory "4K/122fps or nothing" comment form a resident nitwit

My first thought.

Yeah let's push for 8k instead of 60fps, what a fucking genius.

The fact that it's been over a decade of 1080p and we still haven't even got that as standard...

And then they've decided to jump straight to 4x. =/

The fact that so many of you still don't get it. (whatever) fps will never be a standard. And no matter how much power is available something else will always be chosen over frame rate. It will always be, better lighting, better shadowing, better AI, better whatever, before better frame rate. Frame rate doesn't sell games, better visuals do.

Forza 5, Forza 6 and soon to be Forza 7 (not including the Horizon series). Maybe Turn 10 work to a different six months than PD? A Scaramucci six month time period or something lol

Six months per car but I imagine they can work on many cars concurrently with their staff count + outsourcing to get way more than one car out.

c0de

The fact that so many of you still don't get it. (whatever) fps will never be a standard. And no matter how much power is available something else will always be chosen over frame rate. It will always be, better lighting, better shadowing, better AI, better whatever, before better frame rate. Frame rate doesn't sell games, better visuals do.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Seriously, if you don't care for stable framerates in racing games, so be it. But don't tell others what they should want.

Considering 8K is completely useless at the moment (hell, 4K is barely worth it right now in the usual living room setup unless you have a TV above 45-50 inches, or you sit super close to your screen), assuming that the PS5 will support 8K when literally no one owns an 8K screen, and the Pro barely supports native 4K as it is, is really stupid.

Shin

Banned
Turn 10 outsource their work

There's that which would help them ramp up production I reckon and maybe cheaper as well, who knows.
On the other hand it could also be because Kaz have too much control and his perfectionism gets in the way of outputting games in a timely manner.
Anyway I'm not seeing the sky is falling the "die hard" fans have been crying about in this whole thread, like the guy has 0 credibility and all that.
Unless people want GT to be annually like Forza releasing a new game every year the only time there was a larger gap was between PS2 > PS3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_(series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forza_(series)

With the PS4 Pro now in play it's not far fetched to think they build their assets around 4K since that's what PS5 will most likely be anyway.
It would be a smart move, regarding his previous comments well things changed, like different generations that didn't have refreshes so it's not surprising they redid everything.
As I said I'll give him the benefit of a doubt because it sounds more believable this time around, if he they start from scratch again then PlayStation need to replace him.
They could be outputting more games that much I agree with which might sell more than releasing 1 game per 3-4 years, not sure how their staff compares to T10.

farisr

He's just not very good at predicting the future. Just like he thought GT5/6 models were future-proofed. just like how he was disappointed with how the PSVR turned out, he's overestimating the power that a PS5 will bring.

GT Sport would need to be able to run at native 4k at least on the Pro for it to stand a chance to run at 8k on PS5.

Unless he's talking about checkerboard 8k or knows that PS5 isn't due till like 2025 or something and that we'll be getting a Pro+ or some shit like that in between.

cooldawn

He said the same thing about GT5 and they had to redo all models for GTS.
Yeah...but wasn't that because of tessellation or some other technical ability Gran Turismo 5 models couldn't function with? They started re-modelling cars for Gran Turismo 6, I believe.

Boss★Moogle;245081871 said:
Six months for a single car? Maybe he should go visit Turn10 and learn from them.
Turn 10 actually model cars? Thought it was all outsourced, hence the expedited higher numbers.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Seriously, if you don't care for stable framerates in racing games, so be it. But don't tell others what they should want.

Where did I say otherwise? I want stable frame rates in every game, but we weren't talking about stable frame rates, we were talking about 60 fps being a standard. Lets not try to confuse the two.

If this were true, no one would own a dedicated games console.

You know, that goes both ways. Where can you get the best frame rates possible? I'll give you a hint, it's not a dedicated games console.

Isn't Polyphony housed in the same building as Sony's HQ or did they move?
I thought I read that somewhere a while ago, one could say they would be one of the first studios to get preliminary info as to what Sony is targeting for PS5.
Not that I expect 8K games (well maybe some indies), the sooner these guys know the better since they are slow with releasing games.

Difference between 4K and 8K is a lot less noticeable than 720p vs 1080p IMO, then again I probably need a direct 4K vs 8K look.

From my personal experience the appreciable jump from 1080p to 4k is smaller than from 720p to 1080p. There are diminishing returns as you go higher. It's a fact considering how much the eye can see at a specific distance. 8K is laughably overkill for any living room sized TV. In fact, I think TV makers should head towards quality pixels over quantity. According to professional TV reviewers, people are more inclined to pick TV with better color reproduction, brightness and contrast ratio over resolution or sharpness. The standards for HDR 10 are barely met by even high end TVs today. Dolby Vision is a pipe dream since it requires a display that can push 4000 nits of brightness.

Whompa02

Eurgh, does 8k have to be a thing? I'm not even excited about upgrading to 4k :(

It's already a thing...hi-rez 3d models can be rendered at 8k...anyone will get excited when it's affordable and/or enforced when software/hardware companies move forward.

We just don't have consumer grade displays that support that running in realtime.

Shin

Banned
It will be even more PC like with PS5 and VRR, should give devs more room to wiggle while painting a pretty picture and keeping FPS decent/great.
That all assuming the system is 12TF+ and they don't downclock Zen Mobile below 3GHz.

From my personal experience the appreciable jump from 1080p to 4k is smaller than from 720p to 1080p.

In fact, I think TV makers should head towards quality pixels over quantity. According to professional TV reviewers, people are more inclined to pick TV with better color reproduction, brightness and contrast ratio over resolution or sharpness.
The standards for HDR 10 are barely met by even high end TVs today. Dolby Vision is a pipe dream since it requires a display that can push 4000 nits of brightness.
I agree

One of the glassdoor reviews for Turn 10 says car models are outsourced from India and Vietnam, and what much of the T10 employees do is try to clean up said models.

Nev

Banned
I feel for the people who always need to have the absolute latest.

Here I am perfectly fine running games at the perfectly acceptable 1080p/60fps.

I'm good even with 900p. Anything before unstable framerate bullshit.

I don't understand the resolution fetish. Whatever, enjoy your poorly mantained 30 fps games forever I guess. But at 16K thanks to the power of the PS5 Pro X!!!

Also who the fuck cares if a tire is detailed, just make a game that doesn't require tons of DLC to be complete and leave that stupid tire nobody will ever see alone.

Jesus, some people really are a graphic W.

Grassy

60fps is already a standard for the Forza Motorsport series since the last generation, no reason why it can't and shouldn't be a priority for Gran Turismo. Especially now they're focused on the FIA licence and e-sports/competitive multiplayer racing.

One of the glassdoor reviews for Turn 10 says car models are outsourced from India and Vietnam, and what much of the T10 employees do is try to clean up said models.

I think they've said as much themselves in interviews. Turn10 does all the 3D scanning and capturing photos and sourcing CAD files, sends them off and they have a program where multiple artists can work on the cars at once from both Turn10 and the outsourced companies.

I mean given they're now modelling the entire car including engine bay and boot, full interior etc. It's the only way to do it for the amount of cars they model. Of course the quality and details of some older cars is questionable and not up there with some GT models, but the newer cars modelled this generation all seem to be much better detail-wise.

I wonder what happened to the stitching around the top of the dash.

GT6 looks great already but I think Sport is applying some reflection maps/ambient light data of the interior of the car (instead of just the usual reflections of outside) to make everything look a little more natural, I think that improves the look more than any geometry modelling improvements.

Top Bottom