• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly be quiet.

Literally nothing Taylor has made can even TOUCH Lorde's music in quality.

Pure Heroine, released before Taylor decided to be friends with Lorde (presumably envious of her talent?), reviewed better than literally anything Taylor has ever released. Melodrama looks to be doing the same by quite a large margin.

Do NOT try it sis.

OrionX

Honestly be quiet.

Pure Heroine, released before Taylor decided to be friends with Lorde (presumably envious of her talent?), reviewed better than literally anything Taylor has ever released. Melodrama looks to be doing the same by quite a large margin.

Do NOT try it sis.

I wasn't implying that she's superior to Lorde, only that she recognizes talent. Also my posts aren't meant to be taken very seriously lol.

Anyway, I'll try whatever I like, but thanks for the warning sis.

mPKJWuv.gif

Honestly be quiet.

Do NOT try it sis.

are you going to get banned again if he tries it

mPKJWuv.gif

I haven't moved past Homemade Dynamite, what a fucking amazing song. Humanz, Melodrama, and Lust For Life will make this year blessed for me when it comes to music.

royalan

TO HELL WITH THE OTHER PRETENDERS

RIHANNA IS THE QUEEN OF POP

WILD THOUGHTS

THAT ICONIC CARLOS SANTANA SAMPLE

BABY ASSAD DID HIS THING ON THE TRACK

THE REIGN STILL AIN'T LET UP

THE ONLY POP GIRL WHOSE SHOWS LEGENDTINA GOES TO

BLACK BEAUTY

BAJAN BEATY

BOW DOWNNNNN

tumblr_orngc7UYca1vuwr9lo1_250.gif
tumblr_orngc7UYca1vuwr9lo2_250.gif
tumblr_orngc7UYca1vuwr9lo3_250.gif
tumblr_orngc7UYca1vuwr9lo4_250.gif

botty

Banned

WILD THOUGHTS

BLACK BEAUTY

BAJAN BEATY

BOW DOWNNNNN

not a tumblr gif. you're so old!

but you're right... Rihanna... Beyonce... Ariana.. the trinity of music at the moment. Black excellence.

Loving this Lorde music (been a stan, though).

Going to go with Adele, Carly Rae, and Lorde as the white trinity.

cory64

WILD THOUGHTS

BLACK BEAUTY

BAJAN BEATY

BOW DOWNNNNN

Mr. Royalan, you have successfully defended your dissertation and the College of Tea at Truth University is pleased to present you with your PhD

So what are your favorite songs released this year so far? I don't mean a singles, they can be songs from albums that weren't used as singles too.
Mine:
1) Lorde- Homemade Dynamite
2) Lana Del Rey- Love
3) Gorillaz- Submission
4) Gorillaz- Out of Body
5) Allie X- Need You
6) Lorde- Sober
8) Gorillaz- Saturnz Bars
9) Lana Del Rey-
Best American Record leak/
Lust For Life the song
10) Katy Perry- Swish Swish

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
1) Charli XCX - Pull Up
2) Dua Lipa - New Rules
3) Charli XCX - Drugs
4) Dua Lipa - Dreams
5) Gorillaz - Momentz
6) Lana Del Rey - Love
7) Charli XCX - Lip Gloss
8) Lorde - Lourve
9) Lorde - Supercut
10) CupcakKe - CPR

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I haven't gotten through all of Lorde's album, (stopped at Louve), but I really have no idea what you guys are seeing in this. Her voice is all over the place, sometimes barely understandable. The lyrics are just odd in a..."what the fuck are you talking about" kind of way. The production is average with nothing sticking out. I really don't want to continue, but the only song I liked that had already been released and was Liability, so I will continue with it later, but as of right now, it is the worst album I have heard all year.

Phreaker

I haven't gotten through all of Lorde's album, (stopped at Louve), but I really have no idea what you guys are seeing in this. Her voice is all over the place, sometimes barely understandable. The lyrics are just odd in a..."what the fuck are you talking about" kind of way. The production is average with nothing sticking out. I really don't want to continue, but the only song I liked that had already been released and was Liability, so I will continue with it later, but as of right now, it is the worst album I have heard all year.

Couldn't agree more. I will try again, but here is my first attempt. I had to cleanse with some Witness bops

yoRfIF0.png

Aguila

#ICONIC

WILD THOUGHTS

BLACK BEAUTY

BAJAN BEATY

BOW DOWNNNNN

I think I'm straight again.

I just love how simple but fucking orgasmic the production in Melodrama is. Every sound makes me feel something and she captures that late teens/early 20s melancholy so damn well. Probably one of my favorite albums ever.

Meowster

I think my favorite tracks currently are Homeade Dynamite, The Louvre, and Writer in the Dark but there really isn't a track on the album less than an 8. Lorde really did that. This will be an album people will remember years from now.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Reposting from Melodrama thread:

I finished this album this morning after listening to the second half, and my opinion has changed slightly, but not much. The first half (up until Liability) is pretty awful. She uses her voice oddly in order to make it sound different and exciting, but I feel it comes off as pretentious and unflattering. The lyrics read as if she is trying to create new metaphors with a room for interpretation vibe. The album gets better with the second half, and it seems like is she trying to create actual modern songs and not this repeating of pre-choruses, refrains and choruses with barely any verses.

If you compare it to her first album (which you should), there becomes this sort of odd transition from an alternative pop artist into alternative indie hack that is popular on her name alone. There is nothing memorable about this album, and it will be forgotten by the end of year. There is no Royals, no Tennis Court, no Team and etc. and etc. The only good tracks are Liability, Perfect Places and Writer in the Dark. Let's hope she creates an actual album and releases it faster than almost four years later.

Note: Reviews in music mean very little, and after a while you are simply reviewed if you are liked as an artist. There are numerous examples of this with artists being overrated and artists being underrated simply because of who they are.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
okay what the fuck was that bad liar video

Reposting from Melodrama thread:

I finished this album this morning after listening to the second half, and my opinion has changed slightly, but not much. The first half (up until Liability) is pretty awful. She uses her voice oddly in order to make it sound different and exciting, but I feel it comes off as pretentious and unflattering. The lyrics read as if she is trying to create new metaphors with a room for interpretation vibe. The album gets better with the second half, and it seems like is she trying to create actual modern songs and not this repeating of pre-choruses, refrains and choruses with barely any verses.

If you compare it to her first album (which you should), there becomes this sort of odd transition from an alternative pop artist into alternative indie hack that is popular on her name alone. There is nothing memorable about this album, and it will be forgotten by the end of year. There is no Royals, no Tennis Court, no Team and etc. and etc. The only good tracks are Liability, Perfect Places and Writer in the Dark. Let's hope she creates an actual album and releases it faster than almost four years later.

Note: Reviews in music mean very little, and after a while you are simply reviewed if you are liked as an artist. There are numerous examples of this with artists being overrated and artists being underrated simply because of who they are.

You seem oddly stressed that your opinion disagrees so vastly with the critical consensus, trying to convince yourself of your reasoning..

I'm not sure what an "indie hack" is, but I do know that Lorde is definitely more talented and putting out better music than whoever you stan for. This album will receive AOTY noms by multiple awards, rank very high on year end lists, and could even produce a minor hit if she wanted to try (Perfect Places, Homemade Dynamite). So no, it won't be forgotten by the end of the year.

PInk Tape

Banned
Everyone
The truth is
I am a toy that people enjoy
Until all of the tricks don't work anymore
And then they are bored of me
I know that it's exciting running through the night when
Every perfect summer's eating me alive
Until you're gone
Better on my own

a6jVv0g.gif

ToTi

So I was reading a Lorde interview and I discovered something cool about how she makes songs. I though that you might be interested:
Lorde has a neurological condition known as sound-to-color synesthesia — when she hears certain notes and sounds, corresponding colors appear — and she describes making music in intensely visual terms. “From the moment I start something, I can see the finished song, even if it’s far-off and foggy,” she said. Her goal is to correct the colors and sharpen the contours until the precise configuration of chords, rhythms, emotions and textures she has been glimpsing all along snaps into focus. “It’s about getting the actual thing to sound like what I’ve been seeing.”
As Lorde worked on “Melodrama” at home in New Zealand, she papered over a wall with notes for songs, like a sleuth tacking up scraps of evidence, trying to tease out their connections and fill in their blanks. This allowed her to “skim the whole album,” she said, and “to make sure I was touching all the bases I wanted to touch: ‘Oh, I haven’t said this, so let me find a good place to do it.’ ” She soon devised color codings for each song, with different hues denoting different themes. “A song about partying would get a certain color,” she explained, “but it might be a sad song, and that got its own color, too.” As she studied the wall, patterns and imbalances emerged: not enough red here; too much yellow there.
Melodrama is good!

[Pre-Chorus]
Bet you rue the day you kissed a writer in the dark
Now she's gonna play and sing and lock you in her heart

[Chorus]
I am my mother's child, I'll love you 'til my breathing stops
I'll love you 'til you call the cops on me
But in our darkest hours, I stumbled on a secret power
I'll find a way to be without you, babe

a6jVv0g.gif

what an iconic song. It's like Taylor Swift if Taylor Swift was an actual human being and not a PR Robot.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
눈 깜짝할 그 순간
깊숙한 곳까지
번져버린 너란 Blue
소리 없이 다가와
내게만 펼쳐낸 신기루

Love is 4 Walls
너로 채운 Mirror mirror
Love is 4 Walls
신비로운 미로 미로

a6b53154e2.gif