• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular FGC streamer MAXIMILIAN accidentally says n*gger on stream; asses are shown

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL

I doubt he was reaching for "nigger" (or any of the words he ended up stringing together), but he ended up hitting it HARD.

I don't know exactly what he was trying to say, but that 100% seemed like an unfortunate accident involving too many similar sounding words.

SheHateMe

Yikes. The Graveyard on the first page.

Anyway, while he did apologize, I agree with Bish: side eye for days on this. While I'm sure it was a slip up *side eye*, all I can be accountable for is me and my own mouth.

I've never "slipped up" and said a racial slur, even while making words up. That's all I'm saying.

Line_HTX

Should have known this guy was just another one of those FGC thugs

image.php

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
One of the worst things about people you idolize or even just spend a significant time watching is that you'll never really know what kind of person they are. I don't think Max is secretly a closet racist because I don't watch him that much but at the end of day I don't think he is. That doesn't make what he said ok, far from it. But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Even the implication of this has me unsettled more than I've ever been. Really, I don't wish this feeling on anyone, as any clarity of my persona is projected through a computer screen.

Gator86

Woah. I can't believe that first page. Shocking coming from Neogaf.

Got a long way to go.

How is it shocking? It's literally exactly what happens any time a diversity topic comes up here. This time it just focused on the n-word so people felt even more challenged to use it and show the "PC police." It's depressingly common here. Wait until the next time someone talks about making a protagonist non-white or complains about female representation in games. We'll be right back here in minutes.

Have to be careful what you say on stream since people don't know you .
Not everyone going to be offended by this but he should apologize .

Wow first page is a graveyard .

Naudi

Banned
That's like having to read aloud as fast as you can and someone slipping that word in there and you get in trouble for saying it lol. Doesn't seem to be any bad intentions there.

Can't tell if it's a Freudian slip or genuine accident. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but like Bish said he gets a side eye from here on out.

Oh, and thank god for the moderation team here, some of the shit said in the first couple of pages was just gross.

Rocwell

I'm not talking about Max. I'm talking about the people immediately crawling out of the woodwork to explain why saying the n-word isn't a big deal.

That's the kind of culture that's not hard to find in the FGC and a big part of why I stay the hell away from there. It's not just the FGC either for what it's worth in case you think I'm trying to pin it solely on them, but it's a real problem.

Fair enough, there is a lot of toxic use of the word online. I feel like drawing attention to this particular instance just confuses the issue and doesn't really properly demonstrate when we should be saying "hey that thing you said is racist".

How is it shocking? It's literally exactly what happens any time a diversity topic comes up here. This time it just focused on the n-word so people felt even more challenged to use it and show the "PC police." It's depressingly common here. Wait until the next time someone talks about making a protagonist non-white or complains about female representation in games. We'll be right back here in minutes.

There are users who sign up solely so they can come into those threads and talk about how it's not a big deal. It's no surprise that most of the people coming in to defend this kind of thing never post anywhere else.

It kinda doesn't even matter, all these "Stop getting offended by everything you PC mofos" posts are just horrible.

I'm rarely on OT side of GAF, is it always like this over there?

On some stuff, but more often then not people are actually willing to discuss this stuff (no matter how out there that argument actually is) instead of attempting to end discussion.

Here though? lmao

Gestault

It's honestly frightening how deeply this word is embedded in American English. Even beyond people who want to use it, it's just so readily "there" as a hurtful word in the subconscious. Knowing Max's public-facing personality and the context of the video, I assume it was just an unfortunate conglomeration of syllables, but man, that's a bilious moment for a live-stream.

Edit: For my taste, I appreciate that response/recognition from Maximilian.

LiK

Hey guys. I'd like to post this clip for clarity, as my conscience won't let me do otherwise.

https://twitter.com/maximilian_/status/776878558597697536

After tongue twisting words multiple times throughout the stream, I said something I literally didn't believe I said until after I reviewed the footage in the morning. I was woken this morning to several people telling me that Neogaf and Reddit are blasting what I said and it's blowing up.

It was absolutely not my intention to use this word. It's disgusting, filthy and I've never intentionally used it ever in my life. Deeply sorry to anyone who thinks ill of me after this, as I've wanted nothing but to create an environment on Youtube and Twitch of kind-hearted people who I try to give back too just as much as they've given to me. The accusations coming my direction is something I've never had to deal with before, and it honestly one of the worst feelings I can remember. Especially when everything about my life, family and friends is the exact opposite of what the word represents.

I'll let the mods decide what to do with this thread. I can't ignore what I accidentally said, but I'd prefer not to be reminded of it every-time I visit the forum I've been a part of for almost a decade.

Don't do it again. Now go home and be a family man.

jacobeid

Banned
All of the bans on the first page have me even angrier that nothing happened to Wollan for pejoratively calling people autistic.
Wonder why

He made a quick stealth edit to save face but we remember:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214340655&postcount=42

I private messaged him about the matter. He did not respond.

Now this. What the fuck is wrong with people here and why is some of it allowed and some of it isn't?

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, mods. It shows all the kiddies that think this is ever an acceptable thing to say that they are 100% wrong. Cull them all. NeoGAF is a curated board and should stay that way.

No it's really not. Exhibit A from one of our star members above.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Thanks for keeping this thread alive, mods. It shows all the kiddies that think this is ever an acceptable thing to say that they are 100% wrong. Cull them all. NeoGAF is a curated board and should stay that way.

And that Maximilian post is all class mea culpa. Not a "so-what", but a "I am sorry it even slipped out in the first place"

Have to be careful what you say on stream since people don't know you .
Not everyone going to be offended by this but he should apologize .

Wow first page is a graveyard .

He did, on twitter and even here.

Hey guys. I'd like to post this clip for clarity, as my conscience won't let me do otherwise.

After tongue twisting words multiple times throughout the stream, I said something I literally didn't believe I said until after I reviewed the footage in the morning. I was woken this morning to several people telling me that Neogaf and Reddit are blasting what I said and it's blowing up.

It was absolutely not my intention to use this word. It's disgusting, filthy and I've never intentionally used it ever in my life. Deeply sorry to anyone who thinks ill of me after this, as I've wanted nothing but to create an environment on Youtube and Twitch of kind-hearted people who I try to give back too just as much as they've given to me. The accusations coming my direction is something I've never had to deal with before, and it honestly one of the worst feelings I can remember. Especially when everything about my life, family and friends is the exact opposite of what the word represents.

I'll let the mods decide what to do with this thread. I can't ignore what I accidentally said, but I'd prefer not to be reminded of it every-time I visit the forum I've been a part of for almost a decade.

- J - D -

I like Max. It's unfortunate what happened...

but on the bright side look at how many asses he exposed on the first page!

edit: and second page!

Sou Da

What are you watching?

The Fireside chat, a David Duke podcast.

Speaking as Black man I suggest Max do a Third Strike stream, the raw thuggery of that urban game that temporarily killed Street Fighter will be enough to offset any past transgressions.

Seriously though, Third Strike is never a bad idea.

This seems really sincere and when you watch the video he posted you can see he just was doing rapid fire random words the entire stream and it slipped. I cant fault him too much for that, in my opinion. I'm sure we've all said some fucked up shit on accident, and yes I get it this is a pretty big fuck up but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt especially for owning up to it.

This thread does so well to show that so very often, the defense force for things like this are so much more toxic than the things they are defending. The subject of the thread was really not something that bad - it seemed like an honest goof up - but damn did some people here get super "offended at offense."

Plus he apologised which is much more than you could expect from some people on the Internet.

IrishNinja

this is one of those graveyard threads where you look at a bunch of replies on the first page and go "oh, okay yeah, this was some housecleaning, i get it"

the "it happens to everybody" type responses are some shit tho

AelJszl.gif

Ferrio

Banned
The Fireside chat, a David Duke podcast.

Speaking as Black man I suggest Max do a Third Strike stream, the raw thuggery of that urban game that temporarily killed Street Fighter will be enough to offset any past transgressions.

Seriously though, Third Strike is never a bad idea.

No, he needs another Tech Romancer night to make up for it. :D

trutrutru

Jesus people need to get over this already. It's just a word, and after almost 200 years, it doesn't hold the same connotation.

Free speech should be higher up in the priorities list- than black people getting offended- in this matter.

Please let's go into the future.

What a moronic post

Roxkis_ii

Is this some come kind of witch hunt?

Looking at the clip, you can see it was said mistakenly, without malicious intent.

I'm more offended when news anchors calls people thugs. You can hear the intent in their voice when they're pushing their PC racism.

My verdict from watching this clip and a few of his youtube videos: Not an obvious racist.

-Random black guy

udivision

The subject of the thread was really not something that bad - it seemed like an honest good up - but damn did some people here get super "offended at offense."

>_>

What're you implyin'?

EDIT:You think you can get away with your edit, but i'm already starting a new thread! ...kidding, of course.

Hot damn, this is a massacre. I think we need a body count to see if this thread somehow caused more bans than the halloween blackface thread last year.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't know what Max was thinking uttering that out loud or thinking that was a good idea. Did he even think about it?

He's never seemed like a dude who would just say stuff like that, but i guess that is the point, you can never tell behind closed doors regardless of who the person is what they are really like or what they think in their heads.

Still don't think he's a bad guy, but it was shitty and i'm glad he atleast came on here personally to argue his side of the story and apologize in some format.

Others would probably tank their careers and double down by not apologizing and acting circa 1950s in regards to 'free speech' or go on attacking "SJW's".

This thread is proof that there are plenty of people like this in plain sight.

charity begins at home, its how you how at home or with your friends, is how you will be in public, you can't hide it.

You can defend him all you want, he acts cool in public, but how does he act privately? the work slipped out maybe cause thats how he is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom