• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yup, I randomly ran into five people I haven't seen in years today. That's what happens when Portland gets a little sunshine.

I always say that Portland is a fucking bubble. I run into people I don't even want to see.

I always say that Portland is a fucking bubble. I run into people I don't even want to see.

I've been at the Bagdad for events before, and watched as a friends of mine reconnected with a friend of theirs on a random encounter, out of nowhere. Multiple times. Almost always like this:

"Holy shit! Look at you! What are you doing here?"
"I moved here like, 6 months ago!"
"No shit! I've been here for a couple years now!"
"No way! Haven't seen you since - shit, Michigan?"
"Yeah."

What makes it doubly weird is that yeah, people can't seem to stop bumping into each other in Portland after years and hundreds of miles apart, but you also can know someone for awhile, and they basically just completely disappear into the city without having to move. There are friends of mine from an old job that I haven't seen in 8 years. You'd think in a city this small, the chances of you just ACCIDENTALLY bumping into an acquaintance would be high, and yet: Nothing. They're still here. Some of em still AT that same job. They might as well be in an alternate dimension.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

So true. The same can be said of Brooklyn though. I was visiting a friend there the other year and saw 3 people from my past randomly.

Hey everyone, dunno if this is allowed or not, but reddit is having a meet up of sorts at Eastburn tonight. /r/Portland has the info, and although its for 'singles' im sure peeps would be ok with anyone. Just thought I'd spread the word!

Well checked out the neighborhoods and I think Irvington area makes the most sense, but heard good things about off of Mississippi Avenue as well. Can anyone recommend best streets to be close to within Irvington? I got a feel for neighborhoods but not what was is the best to be walking distance to.

Also surprised no one really recommended inner Northwest, Goose Hallow, or South Waterfront.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Well checked out the neighborhoods and I think Irvington area makes the most sense, but heard good things about off of Mississippi Avenue as well. Can anyone recommend best streets to be close to within Irvington? I got a feel for neighborhoods but not what was is the best to be walking distance to.

Also surprised no one really recommended inner Northwest, Goose Hallow, or South Waterfront.

Expensive, terrible traffic, rarely any pet friendly apartments, high auto breakins, and filled with douchebaggery over the weekend.

Expensive, terrible traffic, rarely any pet friendly apartments, high auto breakins, and filled with douchebaggery over the weekend.

Ahh, we'll definitely nice areas. But working near the airport would make it much easier to live in NE. Still would like easy access to downtown.

Oh, and Fire on the Mountain is awesome.

It was weird as hell - came downstairs after finishing the podcast, rain coming down in sheets, sky all orange and purple, two goddamned rainbows landing basically on the corner of 82nd & Sandy.

Also, this might be one of the best things I've seen online in about a month:

An 8-bit Overworld Map of Portland.

OMG SO COOL!!! Hey, I live in Super PDX Land!! :D Pity there isn't a better "tree" for the trees, though... those always looked like cacti to me :p

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Ahh, we'll definitely nice areas. But working near the airport would make it much easier to live in NE. Still would like easy access to downtown.

Oh, and Fire on the Mountain is awesome.

qft

Haven't been in a few months but it's always the best on a sunny day with a chill to the air... Today would actually be perfect.

mkenyon

Banned
You've convinced me.

If weather is nice Saturday, I'm totally coming down for a FoTM + Powells trip. Need to clean out my library as I'm moving.

If only I could muster the courage to vary from my usual order of wings to try something new. The trips are so few in between that as soon as I walk in the door I need Hot and Raspberry Habanero in my veins.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
You've convinced me.

If weather is nice Saturday, I'm totally coming down for a FoTM + Powells trip. Need to clean out my library as I'm moving.

If only I could muster the courage to vary from my usual order of wings to try something new. The trips are so few in between that as soon as I walk in the door I need Hot and Raspberry Habanero in my veins.

I always say i'm not gonna ruin my tongue with El Jefe the second i walk in the door... Then I always end up ruining my tongue with El Jefe.

Everything is soooooo gud. I heard some wild rumors they were doing sammiches and some other stuff now. Had a chance to try any of that? I'm strictly a wing and beer guy when I walk in the door but i'm sure they probably come up with some creatively delicious stuff in that back room...

mkenyon

Banned
My wife got the G.W. Carver Peanut Sandwich. Basically chicken covered in spicy thai peanut sauce with slaw and wasabi mayo. Was p'good. Not wing good though.

Some favs that we get fairly often for appetizers/other are the Cajun Tots, Onion Rings, Fried Pickles, and when we're feeling especially naughty, the Deep Fried Twinkie. I'm partial to the fried pickles.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
My wife got the G.W. Carver Peanut Sandwich. Basically chicken covered in spicy thai peanut sauce with slaw and wasabi mayo. Was p'good. Not wing good though.

Some favs that we get fairly often for appetizers/other are the Cajun Tots, Onion Rings, Fried Pickles, and when we're feeling especially naughty, the Deep Fried Twinkie. I'm partial to the fried pickles.

The Cajun Tots are baller. Love em wherever I get em town (Mcmennimans as well) ... and i know a girl who swares by the fried pickles. Not my jam but i will say.. everything always smells amazing.

I need a dozen fire wings of love like ... stat. And now i'm hungry...

I swear I've been apartment hunting online for like three straight weeks with no luck.

Does anyone have recommendations for an apartment that is around $1,200/month (before parking and utilities) in a fun/safe/good area? Ideally looking for around 700 square feet (no less than 600). I'd like an area that I could walk to downtown within 30 minutes, but that's not absolutely necessary. Is this unrealistic?

Apartment hunting is a serious bitch in this town.

For reference one of the few places I've liked is this place:
http://www.prometheusreg.com/portland-properties/essex-house

I like the location. Decent pricing @ around $1,250/month, however reviews online are iffy, parking might not be ideal, and no dishwasher.

Cat Party

For reference one of the few places I've liked is this place:
http://www.prometheusreg.com/portland-properties/essex-house

I like the location. Decent pricing @ around $1,250/month, however reviews online are iffy, parking might not be ideal, and no dishwasher.

No dishwasher? What? That'd be a dealbreaker for me. Have you looked up around the area west of Jeld Wen Field? There are quite a few larger apartment buildings up there, and it's close to downtown either by walking or by train. Very quiet area for being so close to downtown.

h1nch

Portland GAF!

I just wanted to say that I recently came back from a week-long trip to Portland and I completely fell in love with the city. I mean, I knew I'd like it given what I already knew about it in terms of the culture, stuff to do, sights to see, etc. But I was blown away by the look and feel, and the energy of the place. It reminded me of a cleaner, friendlier San Francisco with prettier scenery. In short, I've been looking to leave my current place of residence and Portland has now jumped to either #1 or #2 on my list.

I haven't yet read through this entire thread yet, and before I ask annoying newb questions about stuff to do, places to live, etc. I'm going to try to catch up on everything discussed in this thread, and in general try to learn as much as I can about Portland.

Congrats on living in such a fantastic city!

Ate at Dar Salam again. Damn that place is good. Plus it has something on the menu for people who want to avoid starch and carbs.

Moofers

My fiancee just got a job out there and we moved her out a couple weeks ago. Now I'm back in Wisconsin closing out our apartment here and looking for Portland/Beaverton jobs at the same time. Any advice for finding work? I've got management, CSR, and Social Media experience.

Looking to get my ass out there to be with her again as soon as our lease is up here and I've finished selling off our furniture. Loved what I saw of it when I drove the lady out there. Can't wait to join her.

xxracerxx

Ate at Dar Salam again. Damn that place is good. Plus it has something on the menu for people who want to avoid starch and carbs.

Will you stop talking about this place please. Every time I read about it my mouth waters, and sadly the wife and I are too poor to eat out right now :(

xxracerxx

Save up and go with us! We're addicted >_>.

As well you should be! I think our finances will even out in a few months after we get used to the new bills this house is throwing at us. But trust me if I see you guys at last thursday on Alberta I will be sure to grab Timedog's ass (please do not let him hit me).

My fiancee just got a job out there and we moved her out a couple weeks ago. Now I'm back in Wisconsin closing out our apartment here and looking for Portland/Beaverton jobs at the same time. Any advice for finding work? I've got management, CSR, and Social Media experience.

Looking to get my ass out there to be with her again as soon as our lease is up here and I've finished selling off our furniture. Loved what I saw of it when I drove the lady out there. Can't wait to join her.

Where in Wisconsin are? Me and the girlfriend are doing the same, located currently in Sheboygan.

Moofers

Seriously. We've only been out there once to check the neighborhoods, and dont havea set place to live, where did you guys settle on living?

We're in Beaverton. Seems like a nice enough area. Going to be an adjustment getting used to such a large metropolitan area. The Fox Cities combined are like 350,000 (roughly) so Portland and the surrounding cities is a bit of an adjustment. Seems really cool though. We laugh at Portlandia's "Dream of the 90's is alive in Portland" song, but I fucking love the 90's so I'll fit right in, y'know? Ha ha.

When are you heading out for your move?

I am utterly dreading this weekend. I cannot believe how hot it's supposed to get O_O I mean, I can stand the heat for a little while, but this seems really early to me, and it's not just one day, it's FOUR. GAH! This crazy up-and-down spring weather is killin' me, yo!

Definitely going to be hanging out in the basement on Saturday :<

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So my job hunt just got interesting. I likely have an offer coming Friday, though it's in Vancouver and I don't really want it. But then I may have a separate offer Friday or early next week, that's in Beaverton and one I do want.

But, either way... probably bye bye Buffalo really soon. Long time coming.

xxracerxx

I am utterly dreading this weekend. I cannot believe how hot it's supposed to get O_O I mean, I can stand the heat for a little while, but this seems really early to me, and it's not just one day, it's FOUR. GAH! This crazy up-and-down spring weather is killin' me, yo!

I wish I was going to be here this weekend to enjoy the warm weather, instead I will be in Atlanta slogging around in the humidity and rain. Bleh.

Unless you're a ball of allergies and butt sweat like me you have no room to complain

Anyone else going to Cinco de Lebowski at the Bagdad tomorrow night? First time going, pretty jazzed.

Hopefully they didn't change it too much from when we did it. I know it's starting at 9:30 instead of 11pm, so I don't know if there's gonna be pre-show bands & hors d'oeuvres being handed out.

The guy hosting has been doing a series over at the Mission before getting the bump-up to the Bagdad. So there might be a pre-show talk-show sort of thing that happens beforehand.

Top Bottom