• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possibility Space (jeff strain / austin walker studio) abruptly shut down. Owner blames it on employees leaking info to Kotaku.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

They were allegedly working on a AAA project for the last few years, and the publisher pulled funding because studio employees leaked info to kotaku. What a remarkably dumb unforced error. Sucks to see people work on something for years then suddenly get fired and ship nothing, but Austin Walker always seemed like a giant douche to me on giant bomb.

Possibility Space was the first of Prytania Media's studios, announced in October of 2021 with a stated commitment of "creating world-class games within safe and ethical work environments" and looking to hire people from marginalized communities.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Being under NDA is a serious matter. Literally your company is betting everything on a single game and you spill the beans just to become yourself a Kotaku's b*tch? At least aim higher, not to a site that will start copying walkthroughs from GameFAQs very soon.

And obviously sucks for those laid off who were working on the project without leaking information.

Last edited:

rm082e

but Austin Walker always seemed like a giant douche to me on giant bomb.

Same. I didn't care for what the Beastcast became. I stopped listening to it pretty quickly. I was glad to see Vinnie, Brad and Alex spinoff into Nextlander.

This affects way more people than Austin though. Seems totally bizarre and unlikely that a single leak could kill a studio overnight. Sounds like this guy was looking for an excuse to bail.

I thought Kotaku was that guides website. Not sure what drew Austin to this gig, seems like shaky work for a POS boss.

It’s almost as if their partner had forgot they were funding the project until something came up. Like, your Hulu terms of service updates, and it reminds you Hulu exists and you unsubscribe.

Last edited:
Imagine the state of your company when “leaking info to the press” results in immediate closure.
This is also a good reason why people tell those who are working on fan remakes/fan projects to stay silent until it's done. Once it's done and releases on the internet, nothing can really stop it.

It's the 'talking about it first' part that usually throws a wrench into everything.

Neilg

Pure speculation, but I would bet real money that the 'details of confidential company meetings' were that leadership is floundering, the project is mismanaged the game in progress sucks. Willing to bet the employees that leaked it were hoping that shitting him up with an article like that would get him to step up and run the company better.

Big lol at him writing the letter as if the leaks are the source of the issue, rather than the symptom.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
If these folks signed NDAs and then disclosed any information, I’d pull the funding also. Pretty simple.

When I worked at Eglin AFB down in Florida, I stood up VMFAT 501 and the ATC school where we trained Marines, Sailors, and Airmen, anytime we worked on theoretical weapons, weapon delivery, the new EOTs system, small diameter bombs for less collateral damage, we signed NDAs with Lockheed Martin, Pratt & Whitney, Rolls Royce for just their clutch system for the lift fan, we had to sign NDAs.

It didn’t matter we that had Top Secret and Sensitive Compartmentalized information clearance. They would push back all blocks for updates until that person was found and either NJPd if military or fired from Lockheed themselves.

Companies that put money into an investment do not want information leaked as to hurt future work with other developers or future investors they may be trying to persuade.

We will see what actually happened, but if one moron broke and NDA good on them for pulling out as it would have gotten even worse.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

They were allegedly working on a AAA project for the last few years, and the publisher pulled funding because studio employees leaked info to kotaku. What a remarkably dumb unforced error. Sucks to see people work on something for years then suddenly get fired and ship nothing, but Austin Walker always seemed like a giant douche to me on giant bomb.

Austin Walker?

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

is good to see a game journo wanker fail and not fail upwards... the other guy seemed like a twat too with pronouns in the bio

nothing of value was lost

Last edited:
Sucks for the employees. I did find it funny that the studio is closing because of leaked info and then they want employees to delete any company stuff off their computers basically on the 'honor' system.
Yeah, I thought that too. Should have requested all equipment to be handed in immediately.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If these folks signed NDAs and then disclosed any information, I’d pull the funding also. Pretty simple.

When I worked at Eglin AFB down in Florida, I stood up VMFAT 501 and the ATC school where we trained Marines, Sailors, and Airmen, anytime we worked on theoretical weapons, weapon delivery, the new EOTs system, small diameter bombs for less collateral damage, we signed NDAs with Lockheed Martin, Pratt & Whitney, Rolls Royce for just their clutch system for the lift fan, we had to sign NDAs.

It didn’t matter we that had Top Secret and Sensitive Compartmentalized information clearance. They would push back all blocks for updates until that person was found and either NJPd if military or fired from Lockheed themselves.

Companies that put money into an investment do not want information leaked as to hurt future work with other developers or future investors they may be trying to persuade.

We will see what actually happened, but if one moron broke and NDA good on them for pulling out as it would have gotten even worse.
The stupid thing is that nobody working for any company should even be required to be babysat signing NDAs because logically a grown ass adult shouldnt be spilling confidential info the general public to begin with. But leave it to video game employees to tell the world anything from gaming leaks, company memos, email trails etc... And not even leaks like loose lipping a few sentences here and there on Reddit. Were talking uploading images and videos years in advance.

And gaming employees wonder why management treats them like babies.

Funny how you dont see this kind of stuff from all the employees working at car companies, Nike, consumer good companies etc.... Hey, we got tons of secret info and prototypes in R&D I'm sure everyone who like to read (especially competitors). Yet despite having probably 100x the employee base vs game companies, you never seem to ever hear big secrets revealed.

Killer8

There's some schadenfreude in the irony of journalists who always championed their right to leak other people's work now losing their jobs over journalists doing the very same thing to them. But also because Austin Walker is a cunt.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nothing too bizarre about the email. Pretty fucking harsh, but if a major investor bailed and you don't have a product you think is worth committing to... this is what happens.

Knowing when to cut your losses is a good skill to have.

MiguelItUp

Being under NDA is a serious matter. Literally your company is betting everything on a single game and you spill the beans just to become yourself a Kotaku's b*tch? At least aim higher, not to a site that will start copying walkthroughs from GameFAQs very soon.

And obviously sucks for those laid off who were working on the project without leaking information.
It really is, and it really sucks how someone can and will just throw everyone under the bus.

In one of my previous studio gigs we were looking for an investor (or more than one) and apparently had a few in motion. Or JUST about. At the time things were kind of rough because we didn't know if things were gonna go up or down, but we were hoping for the best of course. Everyone was firing on all cylinders and trying to remain positive. Things were looking like they were going in that direction.

But then someone decided to tell an outlet that we were "not in good shape and essentially shutting down". After that happened, everything really did go south. All the investors pulled out, and everything went belly up. All because of that one person. I hated that no one figured out who it was.

CamHostage

Funny how you dont see this kind of stuff from all the employees working at car companies, Nike, consumer good companies etc.... Hey, we got tons of secret info and prototypes in R&D I'm sure everyone who like to read (especially competitors). Yet despite having probably 100x the employee base vs game companies, you never seem to ever hear big secrets revealed.

Of course you do. Nike sneaker leakers are commonplace, car afficionados know tons about cars before they show up in auto shows, leaks over cell phone designs have made national news.

Video games have an active and online-oriented audience for consuming and distributing leaks (and often a young staff on development groups,) and rumor mills have been a part of game coverage since the early days of "Ed the Janitor" and other rumor columns in early-gen magazines. Also, video games are ephemera, a digital product that exists and disappears when you turn your TV on, now sold without even the DVD or cartridge to show evidence of its existence, as opposed to consumer products where there's a tangible product reminding workers that they are creating something to be sold. So it makes sense to me, when you consider the circumstances of leaks, as for reasons why they seem to happen disproportionately in games. However, everywhere that information is craved by an audience, there's likely to be some kind of crack in the fortress where little leaks can get through to them.

Also... video games are video games. They're silly fun time-wasters, originally built for children (and the current consumer base is disproportionately made of man-babies.) They're rarely considered art by respected art critics the way film or music or some other forms of entertainment are (and the fanbase often bristles whenever a game designer "expresses themselves" artistically with a game rather than delivering the exact package gamers feel they want before buying.) Usually, who cares if something about a video game leaks... it's a fucking video game, relax! However, in the current market of high production costs and tight margins, the heated finances suddenly make this more than just fun and games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom