• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS vita 2 leak (Hardware specs are guessed by the leaker)

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I also find it hard to believe that there really will be another handheld from Sony. Maybe they were surprised by the Steamdeck success and they want to reproduce it.

This.

Maybe next-gen consoles will incorporate scaling techniques like DLSS/FSR so games could scale down from their PS6 version, this way they'll avoid having to produce specific, proprietary handheld-only versions of games (like say, Uncharted/Killzone on the Vita).

It could basically be a PS-centric Steamdeck if that makes any sense ?

Sure, games won't look nor run as well as on their main platform (PS6) but, again, isn't that what the Steamdeck does ? (i.e, scaling down your PC games as to have them run acceptably on the Deck).

Just a thought

theHFIC

The divine power of a post made at 4:44 manifesting this into existence. Hopefully everyone has their spirit crystals in hand when reading this thread.

Imtjnotu

Amazon Studios Nod GIF by Amazon Prime Video

As much as i would love this, I don't see it being feasible today.....

1. Sony can barely get consistent releases now, PSP was a success, due in part, to a slew of 1st and 3rd party exclusives. I just don't see them wasting the resources. Takes to long to make new games.
2. In order to circumvent issue number one they could take the switch route and consolidate by just releasing console games on the system. This has some problems.
a. PS games are huge in size compared to switch games.
b. It will cost a fortune to design
3. They could just use it for backwards compatible games native and stream current gen or since its a x86 system make the current games lower settings for the psp2. Like a beefed up ps portal.
- problem with this is there is not enough ps5 era games to warrant it. This gen feels like the first two years didn't count.
- many ps2 and ps3 games aren't even available on ps4 /ps5. They are lazy with backwards compatibility. Only Ps1 games are fully compatible and they aren't even playable on ps4/ps5 as sony is an idiot.
I think they don't let you play ps1 games because then they would of had to get the license for CD (compactDisc) as its not on the box your ps4 and ps5 can't play CDs. This isn't a problem with a digital system as vita could play those games too.
4. Too many other competitors. Switch, Phones, steam deck, windows portables, This isn't just sony vs nintendo here.

I think the best approch to this would be to open up a more powerful ps portal like device. One that can stream ps5 games, but download ps1-ps4 games to it to run. PS1 wouldn't be an issue as those were done already, ps2 and ps3 only have a handful of titles that were ported over. They would need to develope a multiple generation emulator. lol.... this aint happening.

Ozriel

M$FT
The playstation portal is so dumb I wouldn't put anything past playstation at this point
I kinda disagree. When my kids were very young, there were a ton of games I didn’t want to play with them in the room. I can see many other people having the same challenge.

Also my PS5 is in the living room downstairs. There are benefits to being able to play your library from anywhere in the house, with a good form factor.

You can certainly get similar remote play experiences by streaming to PC or iPad, but the Portal is a bit more convenient

I don’t own a Portal (yet) but I can see the appeal

leo-j

Or just release a portal that lets you play play PS4 games natively in addition to access to the ps plus library, and stream ps5 games for $399 in 2025. Tech should be where a $400 handheld could play ps4 ganes on the go by then.

Del_X

Games are so fucking expensive to produce. Something like this might work if it can natively render PS5 games down to like 480p and upscale. I really cannot imagine making an effort to split resources or make new teams to support mobile vs. console again.

Holammer

We have PS5 games running alright on Steam Deck, so the idea is not unfeasible.
But I've said before such a product would be perfect to keep the PS4 platform going and supplied with new games and users would have a sizeable selection of games available on such a device.

Forget VITA2 as branding, I suggest "Re-Vita" and have Uncle Ruckus as its spokesman.

Hugare

Imagine thinking that any company can offer support for both handheld + console in 2024.

Even Nintendo took the hint by making the Switch an hybrid. Handhelds are able to run games at a high fidelity now. Games for it wouldnt cost twenty bucks to make like they did with the DS/3DS era. They would cost as much as those console games we have today.

So either this is fake or Sony is insane, 'cause it would fail harder than the Vita.

A handheld that could run PS1/2/3 and even PS4 would be the best option. The only good option, really.

demigod

This guy knows diddly squat. Him and RGT should just go back fighting each other, get more clicks that way.

With the advent of the Switch and the Steamdeck people have to be delusional if they don't think that Sony is going to target the handheld space in a similar fashion.

The biggest problem for Sony in the past was that they weren't able to dedicate enough resources to software development. With the new model, you don't have to.

It's simply an expansion of the home console. Software development is so scalable now that it is a no-brainer, especially with the cost of software development.

I doubt this rumor is true, but at some point, we'll definitely see a PS5 handheld that gets cross-gen support via PS6 releases. The best way for Sony to sell more PS5s is to sell it in more form factors than the PS4. I think PS5 will get the extended life that the pandemic robbed the PS4 of. It'll run from 2020 to 2035.

11 years later the PS4 is still getting games released for it and it's held back by its hdd.

Hudo

So, if this thing is going to be a PS5 but weaker or a PS4 but portable, Sony will create the same situation this forum assblasts Microsoft for: A weaker target SKU affecting the stronger one.
If this is a separate platform, they gonna have the ssame problem they have with PSVR2 (and to a degree still with PS5) supplying it with games.

Last edited:

skit_data

Wasn't it confirmed in the PS5 Pro leak thread that reducing clocks is a big no-no if you are to maintain any form of compatibility?

Codes 208

For marketing reasons i feel like psp2 would be a better name than vita 2.

The psp was a very well loved system that sold highly, on par with some of the best.

The vita however…..um….well at least it outsold the wii u i guess lol

onQ123

I also find it hard to believe that there really will be another handheld from Sony. Maybe they were surprised by the Steamdeck success and they want to reproduce it.

Steamdeck is doing worse than Vita though lol ( as it should because of the price )

StereoVsn

Despite this coming from MLiD.
Can't deny this would be a good product.

Being able to play console level games on the go without an internet from Sony would work wonders right now.

I can see them naming it PS Portal 2.
You can already play Sony games on the go with Steam Deck or windows handhelds! 😉

Lmao someone can link the tweet but he just got caught out by Keplar on the CU configuration of the PS5 Pro being 60 out of 64 CU not 56 out of 60.

Eh, that's a small mistake if anything.

Highly unlikely. I don't see Sony wanting to support PS5, PSVR2 and Vita 2. It would get very little 1st party stuff.

It wouldn't be an actual "Vita 2"; more like a portable PS4 with limited native capability of select PS5 & PS6 games (up to the developer), but at least able to stream those games via Remote Play and likely cloud streaming, too.

In that context, a new PlayStation portable that can actually play all PS4 games and some PS5 & PS6 games, and all other games through streaming, makes a lot of sense as another product option, particularly in markets like Japan.

But indie developers would jump with joy with having another platform to get exposure for their games.

Yeah the way to look at it is really simple: an indie dev's prob not making super-demanding games on the technical level. They could make a PS6 build of their game that otherwise can scale extremely easily to PS5 or PS4 specifications with little changes.

In that type of case, they might as well make the game cross-gen, and if it's the type of game that'd be better suited for a handheld, a PS portable that can natively run a PS4 build of that game for example, gives the game more exposure for potential customers, both those already in the ecosystem and those new to it who might only pick up the handheld and not a home console PlayStation.

A PS portable that can natively play all PS4 games, some PS5 and even some PS6 games (PS5/PS6 games up to developer's choice/discretion; don't force them to build/scope games that have to scale down to the portable the way Microsoft forces devs to scale/scope games down for the Series S), plus stream all games through Remote Play and I'm assuming cloud, is a no-brainer. Expands the ecosystem with more options.

Problem is he stated that AMD employees are the ones who gave him this "information", and if an AMD employee is getting basic information like that wrong... then oh dear.

Some of you guys just need to admit he's pulling information out his ass, and it isn't the first time either.

Different people might have different AMD employees giving them info. Or, between the time one person gets info from a source and another person gets info, the info itself has changed. Either of those are possible reasons as to why there are diverging spec leaks, even at the same time (some people may not immediately report on their info when they get it, choosing to sit on it for a while for example).

I'm more lenient with hardware leakers than software/game-based ones in general, because it's harder to fake hardware rumors, and ultimately I don't think hardware leaks damage the impact or hype for a reveal the way game leaks do, because ultimately we play games not consoles, or GPUs. But hey, if this new PS portable isn't happening, then that's just what it is. I'm gonna be optimistic about it though.

If this is true, I think we can thank Valve for this. Everyone already knew a Nintendo handheld could make it on the market, but Valve kicked the door open for every other vendor.

Big facts. I mean, Steam Deck isn't a HUGE seller when you compare it to the consoles, but they did actually prove a portable gaming PC is a viable product and can be functional with the right care taken.

They're gonna eventually return to gaming PC NUCs as well and finally get that right, as well. Something I think Microsoft should step into and try getting out in front of; they already have a gaming hardware brand perfect for it and could do with an identity refresh. But that's a different type of conversation.

Steamdeck is doing worse than Vita though lol ( as it should because of the price )

Steam Deck isn't designed as a mass-market device the way the Vita was, though. For its intended market (gaming PC portables), it's doing very well. Like, I'm sure it's got way more market share than the ROG Ally, Legion or any other similar device.

Vita was in a market competing with the 3DS and fell way short of its intended targets. I think those factors are even more important than the price differentials.

onQ123

Different people might have different AMD employees giving them info. Or, between the time one person gets info from a source and another person gets info, the info itself has changed. Either of those are possible reasons as to why there are diverging spec leaks, even at the same time (some people may not immediately report on their info when they get it, choosing to sit on it for a while for example).

I'm more lenient with hardware leakers than software/game-based ones in general, because it's harder to fake hardware rumors, and ultimately I don't think hardware leaks damage the impact or hype for a reveal the way game leaks do, because ultimately we play games not consoles, or GPUs. But hey, if this new PS portable isn't happening, then that's just what it is. I'm gonna be optimistic about it though.

Big facts. I mean, Steam Deck isn't a HUGE seller when you compare it to the consoles, but they did actually prove a portable gaming PC is a viable product and can be functional with the right care taken.

They're gonna eventually return to gaming PC NUCs as well and finally get that right, as well. Something I think Microsoft should step into and try getting out in front of; they already have a gaming hardware brand perfect for it and could do with an identity refresh. But that's a different type of conversation.

Steam Deck isn't designed as a mass-market device the way the Vita was, though. For its intended market (gaming PC portables), it's doing very well. Like, I'm sure it's got way more market share than the ROG Ally, Legion or any other similar device.

Vita was in a market competing with the 3DS and fell way short of its intended targets. I think those factors are even more important than the price differentials.
Vita biggest problem was that devs had to make console level games for it instead of it playing the console games at lower settings.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Dont bye it. That would be a weak handheld in 2027/2028 when PS6 is to launch. Maybe its an early prototype based on current hardware for design etc..
I think off the success of the Portal they would be better sited to offer a Portal+ with more functionality than risk another handheld. When Switch 2 is also going to out and dominating.
Plus all the PC handhelds that are popping up.

acidagfc

Would love it to be true, Vita was an amazing little device.

I guess it could happen sometime around Bloodborne 2, i.e. never 😢

Vita biggest problem was that devs had to make console level games for it instead of it playing the console games at lower settings.

Yep, and it wasn't really suited for the former. At the same time, no one could've really predicted how big the mobile market would've became for portable gaming when previously, the PSP and DS were the only real games in town for that.

Even the 3DS had trouble adapting to the new norm, it took a couple years to find its true bearings. But Nintendo had a more direct reason to support it vs. Sony with Vita: the Wii U was a complete bust, so they needed 3DS to turn around and succeed. The PS4 was a major success, so for Sony the Vita became an also-ran once the slow trajectory became apparent.

Proelite

People are dismissing the idea of a portable with PS4 BC prematurely. I think it has great value as an addition to PS ecosystem, as long as dev support is optional.

1. The vast majority of the games being played on PS at this moment are COD, Warzone, Fifa, Genshin, Fortenite, Madden, etc. Games that are still on PS4 and being played on PS4.
2. Most, if not all AA or indie games will still be available on the PS4 in the future, so naturally they'll be on PS4 portable.
3. For PS5-only games, one can stream it, or if it's the case of Sony first party, they have the option of releasing a remaster / paid "downgrade".

I think such a device might sell at least 15-20 million units, and that's worth it for Sony because the engagement/spend on the device will be higher than on PS5 / PS4, and they don't have to devote extra resource in creating a library for a device, since it won't be a standalone platform like Vita.

Just call it PS4 Portable.

As for specs, you would expect it to have

8 core latest-gen Zen, 18 latest gen CUs, 16GB of LPPDR6, and 1TB SSD.
7-8" 1080p120hz OLED Screen with VRR
40-50 watt hour battery
$399-$499

Last edited:
Would be funny if Sony would release this Vita 2, but no PS5 Pro.

Not sure if I see Sony release a handheld though, but if they do, I'd be interested.
Would be a nice gift for my gf, since she wants her own Portal (had to explain a Portal is useless without a PS5. Lol).

The PS5 Pro is 100% coming, while the Vita 2 is pure speculations at this point. It wouldn't surprise me, though, given the hugely successful Playstation Portal launch had changed Sony's mind about handheld consoles, so the Vita 2 or a dedicated handheld gaming machine could come around the PS6 time frame of 2028.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I'd like a PSP(3) that's only maybe 10% bigger than Vita, rather than chasing the bigger screen devices like Steamdeck and a lesser extent the Switch. I'd like something that is genuinely portable and which can go in a large pocket. Switch and Steamdeck aren't really what I'd call portable in the same way the PSP/Vita/DS were; they're more carry it in your bag or luggage than stick it in you coat pocket... Heck, maintain the PSP moniker but call it PlayStation Pocket.

There are phones of course but they're very casual and generally suck for anything else due to control schemes; and while you can plug a controller in or add a surrounding controller device, it's all so clunky and once again goes against the idea of true portability, plus the software's not great. I literally wanna unzip my coat pocket, place the device in my hands, hit the power button and instantly resume my game.

Portal is fine at its size because it's built purely for Remote Play of large screen games. But I'd really like to see a proper portable device I can just whip out with that tighter semi-monolithic design with rounded ends.

A 5.5" Touchscreen OLED in 1920x1088 @ 40-90Hz VRR would be ideal. Only do it when they can do proper DLSS-like scaling.

A PS Plus add-on could include full download access to all available PSP, PSVita, PS1, PS2 & PS4 (Base Mode) titles. Full streaming access for PSP, PSVita, PS1, PS3 & PS4 titles. And Remote Play with PS4 & PS5. Include a simplified Android 'sandbox' so you can play mobile titles.

Support it with a ~2 top tier first-party titles a year and a ~4 top tier third-party titles a year; plus additional smaller games. Market well and price aggressively.

It could effectively be a base PS4 chip shrunk down considerably but with the GCN GPU switched out for a small, underclocked RDNA GPU with ML upscaling, plus an ARM co processor. The GDRR5 could be switched out for LPDDR5 on a wider bus (like Apple do).

As I said before, I think Vita was not just poorly supported but badly timed as mindsets were in flux around both consoles and handhelds/mobile in particular. It's all come full circle, Sony's brand, hardware and software are all very well-positioned and I think there's a spot between Switch & Steamdeck, generally for those who are interested in neither. I absolutely think it can work but it would take Sony nailing the execution. I think either 2026/27 or 2030 would be ideal.

I don't think just because Vita did poorly it means something similar would do as poorly now, a lot has changed since then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom