• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS vita 2 leak (Hardware specs are guessed by the leaker)

Spyxos

Gold Member
Playstation Handheld ("Vita 2")

-Custom AMD APU, currently in the High Level Design Phase (At least 2 years out, and technically not greenlit for launch yet)

* Develepors I speak with state that is is plausible the "Vita 2" could utilize 18 CUs to maintain native BWC w/ all PS4 Digital Titles, and then for PS5 games a "Pro-like Patch" could be applied after a bit of work and testing from participating devs.

*Because of the PS5's variable clock speeds, it's also plausible the GPU could run at 1.8GHz or solwer too. To be clear, this wouldn't work for all games, it would require per-game testing & patches, and games would run at much lower resolutions.

*It has alternatively been suggested to me that the "Vita 2" is in fact a "Playstation 6 Family" handheld meant to launch many years from now with the next generation PS6 as weaker (but portable) alternative for the Japanese market.

*To be clear - what I can 100% confirm is that there is a new Playstation Handheld in early development, and that AMD has already gotten the contract for the Playstation 6. The exact specs and details of the PS6 and "Vita2" are speculation by me.

Last edited:
Lies No GIF

I'd be glad to be wrong though.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Its MLID, 90% of what he says ends up being completely wrong.

For example: Tom claimed that ampere will have 3-4x the performance of turing, rdna3 to have better efficiency and performance than lovelace and so on.
He just makes stuff up to see if it catches on because people like to hope, dont let him fool you.

Last edited:

Edder1

Its MLID, 90% of what he says ends up being completely wrong.
I stopped taking this guy seriously back when he said that PS5 and Series X would run next gen games at 4K60 at high to ultra settings, lol. This was before these consoles launched, but anyone with common sense knew back then this guy was a meme. He has obviously gone on to make tons of other ridiculous claims.

Last edited:

SHA

It will have 6 loud tantrum units in 200mm die in 11" tablet, with 5 tears per flop, she's gonna be powerful and you could take her anywhere you want.

Lmao someone can link the tweet but he just got caught out by Keplar on the CU configuration of the PS5 Pro being 60 out of 64 CU not 56 out of 60.

Mowcno

Well if they could make a handheld for 2027/2028 with enough power to run PS5 games without massive effort required by the developers to port it could work. Cross-gen would ensure new ps5 titles to port would still be launched for the first 3-5 years of its life. They cannot support two devices with completely different software libraries.

A late-gen portable ps5 would be interesting however I have zero faith that this is going to happen.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Would be funny if Sony would release this Vita 2, but no PS5 Pro.

Not sure if I see Sony release a handheld though, but if they do, I'd be interested.
Would be a nice gift for my gf, since she wants her own Portal (had to explain a Portal is useless without a PS5. Lol).

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The playstation portal is so dumb I wouldn't put anything past playstation at this point

Draugoth

Gold Member
This dude said Nvidia is working on a RTX 4080 Titan when other much more reputable leakers said it was canned

Boss Mog

Even if the Vita 2 comes out and is fantastic who will buy it given Sony's trend of sending out hardware to die, be it the original Vita or the more recently released PSVR2.

Audiophile

Gold Member
OG PSP was very successful in and of itself but the Vita was both badly timed and poorly supported. Feel like the market has gone full circle again and there might be room again for a semi-premium dedicated handheld if Sony were to support it well and place it in the market as a middleground between Switch & Steamdeck..

[mockup]

Killjoy-NL

But indie developers would jump with joy with having another platform to get exposure for their games.
Not only that, but if it could run PS4 and PS5 games, it'll have an amazing catalogue of games.
And if it would be based on Portal, you'd have proper controls and haptic-feedback.

The question would be how realistic it would be.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Not only that, but if it could run PS4 and PS5 games, it'll have an amazing catalogue of games.
And if it would be based on Portal, you'd have proper controls and haptic-feedback.

The question would be how realistic it would be.

It won’t be able to run PS5 games, because nobody’s going to be going back to downport the games for a handheld. Perhaps PS4 only, but who really wants that?

Steamdeck 2 and the competition will be able to run PC ports from both the PS4 and PS5 generation…

Kokoloko85

It has to be able to play PS5/PS6 games like Switch and Steam Deck play there current gen games or its a bust.
They can barely make enough games with there studios, now with VR too, they dont need another separate unit to make separate games for. Just do it Switch and Steamdeck style where It can play future games downscales.

Calling it PSP3 would be way better than Vita 2 btw. PSP sold 80millions units, Vita was the worst selling Playstation machine

Things that wont be an issue anymore that were an issue for Vita

- Controls, Now all portables have4 shoulder buttons so games can be ported much easier.

- SD cards. No proprietary crap. Im sure they wont do it again, they want the opposite with external harddrives while Xbox was the one who did proprietary external drives

- Shared library of games but downscaled to play portable. Steamdeck does it. Hopefully PS6 and PSP3 will do the same if it happens.

It might not sell 80million like PSP but it will do way better than PS Vita if they do the above. GTA 6 on PSP3 will sell buckets

midnightAI

It won’t be able to run PS5 games, because nobody’s going to be going back to downport the games for a handheld. Perhaps PS4 only, but who really wants that?

Steamdeck 2 and the competition will be able to run PC ports from both the PS4 and PS5 generation…
While I agree, not too many would back port, there arent that many PS5 only games. Also, if this does exist (very unlikely in my opinion) then they could do PS5 games via remote play like the Portal.

They wouldn't use outdated GCN technology in a new device. No chance of it happening.

From this day onward and for some time the only portable they will work on is their Portal streaming device that is already a big commercial success for them.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I disagree.

Having a family-life, I think it's an amazing product.
90% of my gametime is through Portal.

If you're living at home or don't have a typical family-life, I can see why it seems useless.

I'd just remote play to my smartphone or tablet (devices most people own multiple of)
even buying a 2nd dedicated gaming phone for remote play makes more sense

tusharngf

480p resolution can work for Sony. They just need to target that. I think most ps5 games can run at that resolution with some checkerboarding.

StereoVsn

I disagree.

Having a family-life, I think it's an amazing product.
90% of my gametime is through Portal.

If you're living at home or don't have a typical family-life, I can see why it seems useless.
You can get much the same use out of Steam Deck or ROG Ally and those allow you to have local games.

That said if vast majority of your gaming is on PS5 and you don’t care about having local titles or taking the handheld out of the house then yeah, I can see Portal being useful.

Edit: As far as this rumor goes I call BS. Sony didn’t support Vita with software releases much past launch. They did the same for VR2.

Why in the world would they repeat that?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

You can get much the same use out of Steam Deck or ROG Ally and those allow you to have local games.
True, fair point, but that is kinda irrelevant as I have no interest in PC gaming whatsoever. So Portal is a much cheaper alternative.
Not to mention that Portal is basically a DualSense with all it's functionalities.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I'd just remote play to my smartphone or tablet (devices most people own multiple of)
even buying a 2nd dedicated gaming phone for remote play makes more sense
Why would I buy a second phone just for RemotePlay?
Also, Portal has a larger screen than mobile phones and is integrated into DualSense.

Loxus

Despite this coming from MLiD.
Can't deny this would be a good product.

Being able to play console level games on the go without an internet from Sony would work wonders right now.

I can see them naming it PS Portal 2.

SScorpio

The only way I could see this happening is by having two performance SKUs like Microsoft does with the Series S and X. You'd have the powerful home console and a weaker hybrid handheld.

The Steam Deck has the same architecture as the PS5 and XSX and can run PS5 only games like Ratchet and Clank. With how wildly successful the Switch has been, as well as the Steam Deck showing that level of power is possible in your hand. I'd would be very surprised if Sony wasn't prototyping a possible handheld, it would just need to run the same games that the PS6 does as you can't do split development as Nintendo learned with the 3DS and Wii U. That's why Sony killed the Vita, to throw all their development studios at creating PS4 content.

Top Bottom